Chapter 7: Wayne Manor Sleepover
193 0 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The party had cooled down considerably by the time everyone had returned to the Batcave from S.T.A.R. Labs. With the guest of honor gone, several of the adult heroes in attendance had gone back to work, so that they could be ready to help if the situation got any worse. 

Wally had been called to a situation in Central City, shortly after he was finished at S.T.A.R, so he had very quickly dropped in to pick up Artemis, before heading off again. Around the same time, Harper and Cass had gone back to their apartment to prepare for evening patrol, and Barbara had gone to her clocktower for monitoring duties.

All the same, Lara was welcomed back by her friends like a true hero! Colin and Lian greeted her with a round of applause at the teleporter, and Damian was ready with a second piece of birthday cake for her to celebrate properly. 

The children were surprised when the returning heroes had brought an extra guest with them; Dr. October had been invited to join the party while her lab was put back in order. “What’s up doc?” Colin called to the doctor, making her smile, while Damian rolled his eyes.

“Hello Colin.” Victoria smiled politely. “Glad to see you’re keeping up Harley’s running gag.” Colin smiled, proud of himself and handed the doctor her own slice of pride colored cake.

“Now then, Victoria...” Clark said, moving up behind his daughter, “What was it you wanted to talk about?”

“Hmm?” The doctor was distracted as she licked a little pink frosting off her finger before she remembered, “Oh right! Big news Lara!” She set the dessert down on the table so she wouldn’t drop it when she inevitably started talking with her hands. “After running a number of tests on the samples you provided, I can say with absolute confidence that we have enough of an understanding of your unique biology to begin the development of puberty blockers!”

Lara was speechless for a moment, “Puberty blockers..? For me..?” She asked, full of nervous excitement, hardly daring to believe this was true.

“Correct, Miss Kent!” Victoria smiled at the young girl’s delighted expression. “I had hoped to have my research done to share with you on your birthday, but I thought you deserved the news a little early in thanks for saving me. There were a few options I looked through; daily pills, topical gels, but I decided that with your busy lifestyle, periodic injections are the best option.”

Lara gave a small shudder at the mention of multiple needles, but it wasn’t enough to chill her excitement! “That’s so great! How often would I need them?”

“About once every two months by my estimates, but we will examine the progress again at the third session to see if we need to adjust the dosage.” She paused, seeming a bit more human and less professional. “But there is one thing I wanted to discuss with you first. You see, due to the nature of your biology, for the hormones to have the proper effect, we have had to use Kryptonite radiation in the development of these blockers. More than we would normally use, that is.”

“Kryptonite?!” Clark couldn’t help but tense up when he heard that. “Victoria, with all due respect, this is sounding like a pretty big risk!”

“Please don’t worry, Clark! I would never give Lara any dosage with lasting harmful effects.” Victoria explained. “These shots would only contain a relatively small amount of Kryptonite particles. Just enough for the blockers to be allowed into her system and take effect. But I would advise, the injections might temporarily dampen her powers for a few days after treatment. We won’t know exactly how long until after the first dose.”

“That’s a pretty big side effect…” Clark muttered, nervous for his daughter.

“Clark, I…” Victoria paused as lively classical music came from her pocket. “Excuse me for a moment. That must be Basil checking in on me.” Apologizing again, she pulled out her cell phone and quickly walked off to the side to answer. Lara could hear her speaking softly and sweetly to someone about the incident at the lab, assuring them she was safe. 

“Dad?” Lara pulled on her father’s cape to get his attention, though her own mind was still curiously occupied wondering who this mysterious Basil could be. This was the first she had ever heard of Dr. October having a romantic partner. 

She shook her head, trying to focus on the topic at hand. “Don’t worry about me. I can take it. I want to take it. I don’t care if I’m at 50% or even powerless for a few days a month. I’ll learn to work around it. It won’t stop me!”

The Man of Steel sighed. He knew that he could never have expected anything less from Lara. She had clearly inherited her mother’s stubborn determination, when it came to taking risks like these, and Clark knew better than to try and argue with her. A slow smile came to Clark’s face, “That’s my girl.” This could be a hard time ahead, but they would face it together.

Lara smiled, and hugged her dad tightly. She could tell he was trying not to seem too worried for her safety, and felt even more grateful for his unwavering support. She fought back a yawn when her dad turned around, as Victoria finished her phone call. It had been a very tiring day and the young heroine’s adrenaline was starting to run low.

“Sorry for the interruption,” Victoria said, putting her phone away. “Bane’s little tantrum interrupted date night. My partner just saw the attack on the news. They asked me to thank Lara for helping me get out of there.”

The careful use of pronouns and titles made Lara even more curious, “Tell Basil that they are very welcome. Is your partner someone we’d know?” She asked with a small giggle, enjoying being in on some new gossip. 

“Perhaps…” Victoria smiled, cheeks tinged pink.

“This wouldn’t happen to be Basil Karlo would it, Victoria?” Clark asked with his own smile.

“Maybe…” The doctor said after a pause and a wider smile. “But keep this under your hats, ok you two? They are a former patient, and an old co-worker after all, and some frown on that. The benefits of dating a shapeshifter; Basil becomes someone different every time we go out together. Helps us keep it quiet, and makes things more... interesting.”

“Basil Karlo...?” Lara considered the name before the realization hit her, “YOU’RE DATING...” She covered her mouth, realizing just how loud she was being. “You’re dating Clayface?” She asked at a much more reasonable, and less shocked sounding volume and tone.

“You guessed it.” Victoria’s reply carried a tone of humor that implied she was used to this kind of reaction. “Yes, my partner is an ex-con… and also made of living mud.” She added that second part as if it was an inconsequential afterthought. “But Basil is an old friend, a romantic, a poet, and they have only a passing relationship with gender as a concept. I couldn’t ask for a better lover!”

As Lara listened, she started to understand what Victoria was talking about. As an extremely fluid shape shifter, it made sense Basil would be able to be any gender they could ever want! She actually felt a little jealous, thinking about it that way. “But isn’t their body a bit… messy?” 

Victoria rolled her eyes a bit. “Not as much as you’d think. Besides Lara, when a girl is in love, sometimes, little flaws like that can make someone more beautiful.” She let out a contented sigh and set down the empty plate from her cake. “You’ll understand one day.”

“Not likely.” Lara said half-heartedly on impulse. She had had no interest in boys or girls just a few months ago, but recently she was less sure. Thinking of romance as Lara… It hit her differently than before she came out.

Victoria gave a knowing smile and gave the young hero a hug. “Anyway... Happy Birthday, Lara. We’ll talk more about your first treatment in a few days, ok?”

They said their goodbyes, both excited for the next time they would see each other. As Lara waved to Dr. October as she returned to the teleporter, needing to return to her lab for a quick check that everything was in place before finally heading out for the night.

Colin and Damian had come back over to Lara as they watched the doctor make her exit. “She looks happy. Must be date night.” Colin said with a knowing smile.

“You know about… about who she’s dating?” Lara asked, trying to not let out the secret by accident.

“Oh yeah. Basil works with mom sometimes.” Colin explained. “As a shapeshifting actor, with durability to boot, he’s great for helping clients roleplay scenarios in a consequence-free way. He’s a great counselling assistant.” 

“Huh…” Lara hadn’t thought of Clayface using his powers that way. That must be useful in therapy… “Wait, he? Victoria was using they/them.”

“Ah, my mistake,” Colin apologized quickly before correcting himself, “They were having a male day last time I saw them.”

“And you don’t think they’re an… odd romantic partner?” Lara asked cautiously, wanting a second opinion.

“Tt,” Damian cut in, “Kent, may I remind you that my boyfriend merged with my pet bat-dragon, and now regularly transforms into one? Love is usually odd. It makes it more interesting!” The smaller boy stood on his toes to sneak a quick kiss to Colin’s cheek.

Maybe Victoria had a point about love making people do strange things for each other. And it wasn’t just girls that acted weird because of it! “Well Damian, the party isn’t over yet. What’s next for our activities, Mr. Party planner?” Lara asked with a smile.

“The Grayson spawn and Lian are still around. Want to rally the troops and play some Mario Kart?” Damian had mixed feelings regarding playing video games with Lara. It was one of the few things he could actually lose now and then, but he was willing to come in 2nd or 3rd place a few times, if it made his best friend or his boyfriend feel happy… Lian on the other hand would receive no mercy!

________________________________________________________________

On the way up through the manor, the kids passed by the living room, once again. Inside they found Lian, who was watching TV with Jason, Dick and the Grayson siblings. They had apparently been watching the news to keep up with the events in Metropolis, but had now switched over to Cartoon Network.

Jason seemed to be nodding off (perhaps he had been on patrol the previous night), so Lian was more than happy to join Lara, Damian and Colin on their way to the game room. 

Mar’i, on the other hand, opted to stay behind with her brother and dad. Dick and his kids had all helped themselves to extra-large slices of birthday cake, and seemed content with their cartoons and confectionery. Well... Jake had fallen asleep on the sofa, his face covered in chocolate frosting, but he seemed content to Lara.

Eventually, the four kids reached their destination. Even though Damian rarely used it, Wayne Manor actually had a pretty impressive game room. Lara knew the mansion was so big that if you looked hard enough, you could find a “pretty impressive” room for almost anything. 

When Bruce had lived with just himself and Alfred, this had just been a billiards room. Over the years, Dick had added a pinball machine, and Jason asked for an air hockey table. Tim had made the biggest additions with a full media center with at least six different video game consoles. 

The young heroes sat around this wall of technology, a heated race already in progress. Colin was in the lead playing as Bowser, but Lara was close behind as Princess Peach (Damian’s normal pick, but he let the birthday girl pick first). The middle of the pack was absolute chaos with Damian (Catsuit Peach) and Lian(Link) more caught up in trying to beat each other than win the race itself. 

“Will you stop throwing the banana peels, Harper!” Damian growled out, trying his best not to curse. His mother was in the house, and he was sure she would find out.

“Only when you stop hitting them, Shorty! Last lap!” Lian called out, boosting around a corner.

The room went silent as they all focused on the challenge of the final lap. This was the last chance for victory! Lara and Colin could both see the finish line! It was going to be a photo finish... when the unthinkable happened! Rocketing from behind the leaders like the shadow of death, came the dreaded blue shell! It collided with Colin’s car, sending Bowser flying through the air and stunning Lara with the shock wave!

“Son of a Bonsai!” Colin yelled, borrowing a favorite swear from his momma. “Who threw that!?” He momentarily looked to Damian, fearing this had been the ultimate betrayal when the race ended, Lian zooming across the finish line before anyone had the chance to recover.

“Ha! I never miss a shot!” The young archer said, with a grin worthy of the Cheshire Cat.

Damian glared at Lian and stood up on his chair to get some extra height, pointing a finger at his step-niece. “Harper, you have gone too far this time! For the slighted honor of my boyfriend and best friend, I challenge you to a duel!”

“Uh… Dami, sweetie? My honor is just fine.” Colin tried to interject, hoping that this wouldn’t get out of hand.

“You’re on, Wayne! Name your terms. Pistols at 20 paces? Short swords till first blood?” Lian had gained Jason’s love for classical literature, meaning she had read dozens of stories featuring iconic duels.

“Sabers.” Damian said plainly and went to get something from one of the media cabinets. 

Lara leaned over to Colin and whispered in a concerned voice. “Please tell me that he doesn’t keep swords in there… Should I go get Bruce?”

Colin took a deep breath when he realized just what was going on. “Don’t worry Lara.” He said with a laugh, though not quite hiding the brief panic they had both felt, as they saw Damian was holding a VR headset and two hand controllers.

“Ooooh. Beat Saber.” Lian said, realizing the truth at the same time as Lara, though she seemed a bit disappointed, where the other kids had been relieved. “Yeah, alright, I’ll still accept your challenge! Shall we make this boys vs girls?”

“Later.” Damian said, as serious and intense for this rhythm game as if it were a hostage situation. “Once I have avenged the man I love, and also Kent, we can play more rounds with teams.”

Colin was beaming, slightly touched, but Lara was rolling her eyes and fighting not to yawn again. “Thanks for avenging me, Damian. It’s nice to know how much you care.” Lara said with a chuckle as she sat back, preparing to watch the competition. 

As Damian selected a second headset and controllers for Lian, Lara felt the tiredness really starting to hit her. The excitement of the day had really taken a lot out of her, even without the fight with Bane. All the partying and sugary snacks, combined with catching up with friends and trying on new clothes would have been a lot for anyone, even Kryptonian kids like her. The news about the blockers had also gotten the young girl pretty pumped up, and she had been practically floating a few inches off the ground throughout the entire afternoon.

Lara sat down on the couch, and yawned deeply as she watched her friends play. As it boiled down to a sword game with a dancing edge, Beat Saber was one of the few video games Damian could play consistently well. It was an exciting game to play, but not as intense for the spectators. 

By the end of round one, Lara was already yawning. By the end of round three, which Damian had won narrowly, the rivals were ready to let the others play. “Lara, do you want to play the winner?” Damian asked, before turning to see that Supergirl had fallen asleep where she sat. 

Colin put a finger to his lip to keep them both a little quiet. “Why don’t you go find her dad, Dami? Maybe it’s time for Lara to go home.” He perked up getting an idea, “Or maybe you could ask if we could all stay over tonight.”

Damian gave a small nod. He always had to remind himself that most other kids his age did actually sleep at night. He quietly snuck away and down the hall, knowing that Colin would take his turn at the game while he was gone.

________________________________________________________________

Shortly after the young heroes had run off to play video games, Bruce and Talia had made their way to the study above the cave to discuss hero business with Clark. 

“Bane is secure in Blackgate. Not willing to talk, but we expected that.” Talia smiled, checking the news on her lover’s laptop. “He did let slip to me that my dear father has a bounty of 5 million riyal on my return alive, or a million dead. Always glad to know the value family has for you.”

“Does that mean more agents will come?” Clark asked, worried about what other kind of trouble the Demon’s Head might send after his truant daughter.

“He won’t if I don’t hang around. I probably have 24 hours while the mercenaries wait for the smoke to clear from Bane’s arrest. I should try to leave before then.” A small smile came to her face. “If I go back to my father on my own, he’ll be honour-bound to pay me the bounty. That money is going right in Damian’s college fund!”

“Talia.” Bruce said simply.

“Ok fine, I’ll donate most of it to a charity that annoys father… but I’m saving at least part of it for our son’s future wedding to that lovely young redhead!”

Bruce’s face broke out into a rare smile. “Deal. Damian will be flattered that you like Colin enough to offer your blessing already.”

“They are so sweet together!” Talia said, every bit the proud mama. “And he makes Damian so happy! You should see some of the notes I’ve made in the wedding binder.”

“The what?” Clark and Bruce said together.

Talia looked between the two men, “You didn’t know? The moment I started hearing how in love Damian was, I started a notebook with plans and wish lists for their wedding one day. I’ve given it a lot of thought. I’ve even started a seating chart. I’ll try and remember to bring it with me the next time I come visit.”

Bruce was quiet for a bit before chuckling. “You know what, I’m not even surprised. I know how much Damian means to you, and how detailed and dedicated your plans can be. But please don’t rush the boys into anything, no matter how cute they are. They are both still very young.”

“Of course, dearest! I’m not setting dates or anything yet. Just mental preparations.” She smiled playfully at her husband, “What would you say if I told you that I had similar plans for renewing our vows once my father is out of power?” Talia asked in a tone that made it hard to tell if she was being hypothetical or literal.

“I’d say I’d be honored and counting the days till then. A chance for the wedding we wanted all those years ago…” Bruce smiled and held Talia’s hands in his, kissing them softly before adding, “Is Selina invited?”

“Of course!” Talia gave a small laugh. “It’s a chance for us to renew our vows, but you know I’m also going to be sure to properly marry our kitten that day too!”

Clark smiled and slowly backed away from the conversation. He was happy for his friend, but he knew the Dark Knight was unlikely to emerge from their romantic plans of the future and nostalgia for the past any time soon.

The Man of Steel was about to rejoin the party when he heard someone clear their throat behind him. He turned to find Damian standing there. “Oh hey, kid! You sneak around as good as your dad; you know that right?” He said jokingly.

“Thank you.” Damian said with a small bow before addressing the adults, “Lara is falling asleep. I was wondering if she and Colin could stay over tonight?”

Clark thought for a moment. Him and Lois had made plans for Lara’s birthday breakfast, back in Metropolis. However, maybe they’d be able to have it at the manor instead? Lois would definitely appreciate Alfred’s inevitable assistance. 

“It’s ok with me.” said Clark after a brief pause. “Alright with you, Bruce?”

Batman nodded and turned to his son. “Call Colin’s moms and check with them, but it should be ok if he stays over too.”

“In separate bedrooms.” Talia quickly added to the conversation.

“What! But mama..!” Damian called out, a rare break in his stoic attitude to be told he couldn’t cuddle his boyfriend.

“No buts, Damian. Your mother has a point.” Bruce put a consolatory hand on his son’s shoulder.

“Fine…” Damian huffed out, accepting the terms, though not happily. 

Clark followed the young Robin back to the game room, where Lara had drifted off to sleep. Colin was still there waiting for Damian, but Lian had headed back to the living room, apparently content with winning by default after her challenger had left.

Clark smiled at his sleeping daughter. “Poor thing really tired herself out today.” He said softly, lifting her up in his arms and carrying her towards the appointed guest room while Damian stayed behind to vent to his boyfriend about various injustices of the world, chief among them, his mother denying them snuggle time!

“Daddy...?” Lara asked groggily, only half awake in her father’s arms. “What’s up?”

“Don’t worry, sweetie. Uncle Bruce is letting you sleep over here tonight rather than us flying home.” Father and daughter arrived at the guest room, to find that Alfred had already left a fresh pair of pyjamas for Lara on the bed. Clark could’ve sworn that that funny old British gentleman had some kind of metahuman capacity for helpfulness.

Lara wearily headed into the ensuite bathroom to get changed and brush her teeth, before emerging and immediately collapsing onto the cozy bed.

“Mom and I will be here in the morning, ok?” Clark looked up from adjusting Lara’s blankets to see she had already fallen back asleep. He smiled at her and kissed her forehead. “Sleep tight, my little Supergirl.” He spoke softly as he retreated from the room, turning the light off and closing the door with the softest click.

________________________________________________________________

Lara awoke suddenly in the early hours of the morning, the entire world black except for the small green glow of a bedside digital clock, which told her it was 4:00 am. She recognized her surroundings as she vaguely remembered her dad tucking her in the night before. While the idea of sleeping over in such a fancy room was exciting, Lara couldn’t help wondering what it was that had woken her.

She paused for a moment and focused her Kryptonian ears. Wayne Manor was relatively quiet. Some lingering activity downstairs, a faint snoring from a few doors down the hall, and… an almost imperceptible creaking of the floorboards… Maybe that was something…? Or someone…?

The young Kryptonian got up from her bed and floated across the floor to the door, hoping to not make a sound. She turned the knob slowly and softly and opened it just a crack. If she focused her sight, she could just make out the faintest outline of someone… a particularly short someone, sneaking down the hall, most likely heading for the snoring door.

Lara fought not to snicker as she realized who this was; Damian, wearing a pair of black pyjamas, and trying his best to sneak into what must have been Colin’s bedroom. Damian’s mother must have forbidden him from sharing a room with Colin, and he seemed determined to overlook that rule.

Lara stood there, watching her friend for a little bit longer, when they both got a surprise. A tall, slender figure wearing an emerald-green silk dressing gown dropped from the ceiling above Damian, as quiet as a breath, to block the door. “Out for an evening stroll, young man?” The voice of Talia said in a tone just above a whisper.

“Mama!” Damian exclaimed, a little bit louder before checking himself. “I was… Just coming to get Colin for an early morning patrol!” He improvised as best he could. “You know how it is, of course… Baba will be finishing his patrol soon. Me and Colin can provide him with some assistance, should any incidents arise just before dawn.”

Talia raised a single eyebrow as she considered her son's words. “Indeed.” She spoke with a tone that made it clear that she didn’t buy Damian’s story for a second. “Well, obviously I can’t stop you from assisting your father. Wouldn’t you agree, Supergirl?”

Lara let out a small gasp as mother and son both looked in her direction. Her first instinct was to fly back under the covers and pretend she had never seen a thing. However, there wasn’t much sense in trying to play a game of stealth with the likes of Robin and Talia al Ghul, so the young Kryptonian instead sheepishly opened the bedroom door all the way.

“Uh… hi?” Lara grinned, earning an amused smile from Talia, and an eye-roll from Damian. Lara wasn’t really sure if she wanted to pick a side here. 

“Tell you what, Dami…” said Talia, grinning mischievously. “Why don’t we go and wake up dear Colin? You two need to get ready for your patrol after all.”

“Um, yes. Of course.” Damian said slowly, as he opened the door to Colin’s room. “Give me a minute. I’m just going to wake him.”

As Damian headed into Colin’s quarters, and closed the door behind him, Lara found herself standing in the hallway with Talia al Ghul as her only company. She couldn’t help feeling slightly intimidated by Damian’s mother, but Talia simply gave Lara a friendly smile.

“Uhh…” said Lara, trying to fill the awkward silence. “Aren’t you supposed to stop Damian from… y’know... doing that?”

Talia chuckled. “Fear not, Lara. I’m just curious to see how far Dami will be able to take his ruse…”

Lara wasn’t entirely sure what Talia had meant by that. She also wasn’t entirely sure what Damian’s plan was, and she felt naturally curious. She carefully focused her Kryptonian ears to listen in on her friend on the other side of the door.

The first thing she heard was the sound of Colin’s snoring abruptly ending, as he was shaken awake by Damian. “Huh, wha?!” Colin said, still sounding half-asleep. “Damian? It’s 4am! What gives?”

“No time to explain!” Damian whispered. “Are you feeling up for a little Goliath time?”

“Goliath?!” said Colin, a little louder than his boyfriend. Lara noticed Talia smirk when she heard this. Apparently, this had all been what she had anticipated.

“Dami… I’m tired.” Colin complained. “I don’t know if I can...”

“Trust me...” whispered Damian. “I have a plan. You can go right back to sleep, once you’re fully-transformed.”

Given the pause that followed this remark, Lara imagined that Colin was just as confused as she was. Then again, this was a fairly standard reaction to most of Damian’s plans. They were often as convoluted and complex as they were effective.

Nevertheless, Colin eventually sighed and muttered, “Okay... Stand back and look away.”

Lara didn’t need super-hearing to hear this next part. There came the sound of Colin huffing and groaning, which gradually shifted into animalistic growling. Then came the sound of a bedside table getting knocked over, presumably by a stray wing or tail.

Talia reacted to the noise with an exasperated sigh, and something muttered in Arabic. Lara wasn’t sure how much of this Talia had anticipated, but it seemed like maybe things hadn’t entirely gone the way she had wanted.

Without even knocking, Talia moved forward, opened the door and entered the bedroom, with Lara following closely behind her. The room itself was pretty big, as were many of the bedrooms at Wayne Manor. This was fortunate, as there was now a gigantic mass of red fur and leathery wings curled up on top of the bed. 

Colin, or rather Goliath, had gone right back to sleep. The effort of transforming had apparently taken a lot out of him. Lara thought back to the time when Colin had accidentally transformed in the gym, and wondered how often this sort of thing happened. Had Colin ever gone to sleep as a boy, only to wake up as a 12 foot bat-dragon? 

Talia didn’t pay too much attention to the snoring Goliath, who lay atop the surprisingly sturdy bed. Instead, her focus was on her son, who stood next to the bed patting his giant boyfriend’s fur. “Damian al Ghul Wayne.” said Talia, with motherly authority. “Why might I ask is Goliath asleep, when you were supposed to be heading out on patrol with him?”

“Ah yes.” said Damian, as if he had only just noticed the snoring furry giant on the bed. “Unfortunately, it would seem that Colin is too tired to patrol with me tonight, and my attempts to wake him have triggered an accidental transformation.” 

As he said this, Damian made eye-contact with Lara. “I should probably stay here with him. Make sure he doesn’t break anything when he wakes up.” His expression and tone of voice was a subtle cry for help, and Lara felt the need to back her friend up.

“Good idea, Damian!” Lara blurted out. “We can trust you to look after Col- I mean... Goliath!” She grinned awkwardly up at Talia, who’s sceptical expression remained unchanged.

After a brief silence, Talia spoke. “Am I to understand that Colin shifted unexpectedly and unintentionally when you woke him?” she asked, with her hands on her hips.

“Yes, Mama.” Damian nodded. “It doesn’t happen all the time, but it’s a problem we’ve learned to live with.” 

“I see,” said Talia. “And despite having transformed unexpectedly, he still had the time and foresight to remove his clothes before it happened?” She pointed to a pair of boxers and a crumpled t-shirt on the floor, which Lara hadn’t noticed until that point. They showed no signs of damage, despite the fact that their previous wearer had just grown to the size of an elephant.

Damian’s eyes went wide. He had apparently not counted on his mother being as good a detective as his father. “Ah… Well, you see… uh…”

“Maybe Colin sleeps naked?” Lara suggested, before she could stop to think. Damian and Talia both stared at her. Talia gave a bemused smile, whereas Damian slowly facepalmed out of Talia’s line of sight. As her own words finally made it to her brain, Lara felt herself going bright red, and buried her face in her hands. 

Talia looked between her son, the embarrassed Supergirl, and the snoring bat-dragon. It was abundantly clear that she had figured out precisely what was going on here; Damian had asked Colin to transform, and then make up some story about triggering an accidental shift so that he would then have an excuse to snuggle his giant monster-boyfriend.

Damian picked the t-shirt up off the floor and examined it, before looking up at his mother. “Would you believe me if I said this was actually my shirt?” He slipped the apparel over his head, as if to prove his point.

Even if Colin hadn’t already been taller than Damian, the shirt would have still looked ridiculous on the smaller boy, as Colin evidently preferred to wear baggy clothes to sleep in. Damian now looked like he was wearing a short baggy tunic over his pyjamas.

Talia stared at her son for a long moment before she cracked a smile. “Okay Dami. You’ve convinced me.”

Damian looked to Lara to be sure he had heard her correctly, then down at his new oversized pyjama shirt “... I have?”

“Don’t confuse what I mean, darling. I didn’t believe your story at any point.” Talia said with a grin. “But I did appreciate your dedication and improvisation skills. You can snuggle with Colin, so long as he remains in this form. Just don’t tell Bruce about any of this.” She ended with a conspiratorial finger to her lips, telling both kids to keep this to themselves.

Damian smiled and hugged his mother tight. “Thank you, mama! My lips are sealed!” He moved closer to the bed and lifted his dragon-boyfriend’s paw, before settling down underneath it. Goliath shifted in his slumber and pulled Damian up next to him, holding him as if he was a teddy bear, smooshing him into the soft red fur. Lara was concerned at first about Goliath squeezing too hard, but Damian gave her the thumbs up. He was perfectly ok with this.

Talia gave her son a quick kiss on the forehead and left the room, motioning for Lara to do the same. Once they were out in the hallway and the door closed behind them, Talia spoke. “Well, Supergirl… I suppose I should wish you a happy birthday.”

Lara froze. She had been so distracted by Damian’s little escapade, that she had completely failed to register that it was now July 15th. She was now officially 12 years old!

“Wow… Thanks!” Lara said after a brief pause. She was now very excited for the sun to rise, and for everyone else to wake up. She vaguely recalled her dad saying that both him and mom would also be spending the night at the manor. She was almost tempted to fly off and find the room they were staying in, but decided against it. She would wait until 5am at the very least.

The birthday girl followed Talia down the hall, towards the stairs. She felt the need to distract herself from her birthday excitement, so she asked Talia, “What are you doing up so early?”

Talia smiled. “Oh, with my husband out on patrol for another hour, and my future wife a very deep sleeper, I was in the kitchen preparing some of my special recipes for Damian. He’s brought it up a few times in his letters. Pennyworth is a good cook, but he’s never quite mastered authentic Arabic cuisine.”

Lara hadn’t expected that. Talia al Ghul had always been something of a mystery to her. The daughter of a well-known supervillain, first lover of Batman, and mother to Damian Wayne. All these titles gave Talia an intimidating, almost mythological presence, and it was a little strange to hear her talk about something as casual as cooking meals for her son. Lara was quiet for a moment as the pair walked through the dimly lit and empty halls. “Miss… uh... Talia? Can I ask you a question?”

“You just did. But you are welcome to ask more if you want.” The taller woman said with a smile.

Lara tried her best not to roll her eyes at the mom joke as they continued down the hall. “What exactly is... the League of Shadows? I hear the other grown-ups talk about them a lot, but I’ve never really understood. They always make it sound like...” She paused, trying to think of the best way to describe it. “Like the monster under the bed.”

Talia looked down at Lara. It was only clear to her now just how young this girl was. How different her son was from other children that she didn’t know these dark secrets of her world. “I’m sure you have heard of my father, Ra's al Ghul? Some call him the Demon’s Head.”

Lara nodded. She was familiar with many of the “Big Bads” as her father called them. The supervillains who had caused the most trouble for the Justice League over the years. Luthor, Zod, Circe, Ares, Joker, and of course, Ra’s al Ghul, were just a few of the villains that Lara had been warned about through her conversations with her dad and fellow heroes.

“My father has been around for a very long time, and seen empires grow and fall. His followers view him as a god who would save the world from the many faults of humanity… by any means necessary.” Talia let that last sentence and its implications hang in the air. “In addition to his devotees, he also has the influence and funds to employ mercenaries, agents, politicians, assassins, anyone he might need to do his bidding.”

Lara found the scale of all of this was a little frightening. While she had heard stories of her father fighting against supervillains, armies, aliens and demigods, it felt so strange to be talking to the daughter of one of those supervillains. It made the League of Shadows feel that much more real, rather than just a scary story.

“Cheese and crackers…!” Lara exclaimed; an expression she had learned from her grandpa whenever he stubbed his toe. “And you live with the League of Shadows?”

“Live with them?” Talia chuckled. “There have been times when I could have been considered the leader! I wish I could say that those were the times when we were more of a force for good, but…” Her smile faded as she broke eye contact. “There are… moments from my past that I’m not proud of, to say the very least…”

Lara couldn’t help feeling sorry for Talia. She couldn’t imagine what it must have been like to have a supervillain for a father, and to still try to be a good person. She was reminded of Colin’s parents, and how they had managed to change their ways and moved completely beyond their dark pasts. She hoped that one day, Talia would be able to do the same.

“Would it help if I said I believed in you?” said Lara, smiling at her friend’s mother. “I mean, I know we’ve not really talked much before now, but from everything Damian has said about you... You’re a good person in my book, Talia.”

Talia smiled down at her young companion. “That actually is a great comfort. Thank you, Supergirl.” She gave a contented sigh, “Besides, if I have anything to say about it, the League of Shadows will soon be a force for good again.Until then, I will work right under my father’s nose, undermining him from within until the proper moment.”

“That sounds dangerous.” Lara said, more impressed by her bravery than trying to warn her against the act.

“Don’t worry Lara, I’m not alone in this work.” Talia said with a cunning smile. “I have some agents of my own to help me, though for their safety I won’t name any names. I tell them where to go, they disrupt the Demon’s Head operations, and my hands remain clean in father’s eyes. He won’t see me as a real foe until he has nowhere left to go but the deepest darkest prison imaginable!”

Lara had to respect the power and confidence of this woman. “That’s so cool…”

“I like you, Lara.” Talia smiled, as they arrived in the dimly-lit living room just outside the kitchen. She gestured to a nearby futon. “Come sit with me. I have something to show you while we wait for breakfast...”

Lara paused, having assumed that Talia had been heading into the kitchen. “Wait, I thought you said you were making food for Damian. Shouldn’t you get back to doing that?”

“Oh, trust me, that can wait!” laughed Talia. “Right now, I feel I should make it up to you for crashing your party yesterday.”

“What? Oh, you don’t have to do that.” said Lara. “I’m glad you did it! Not only did I get to stop Bane, but I also got a chance to see Dr. October!” At the back of her mind, the young Supergirl was still bouncing with excitement at the prospect of starting blockers.

“Even so…” said Talia, pulling a smartphone out of her pocket, “I feel like I should at least provide you with a small birthday treat. Richard was telling me yesterday how much you enjoyed seeing the photos of Damian...” She tapped the screen a few times, before holding it up for Lara to see.

Lara gazed at what appeared to be a photo of a smiling toddler, no older than 3, wearing an oversized Batman cowl and cape. As she smiled at the cute image, Lara felt like she recognized the child’s face… Then, realization hit her as she remembered who’s phone she was looking at, and what Talia had said about the photos of Damian.

“Oh… my god…” Lara fought not to laugh as she pictured her serious dignified friend ever having been as adorable as this as a toddler! “Does Damian know you have this picture?”

Talia shook her head, smiling mischievously. “Nope. Mother’s secret.” 

“Good.” Lara felt if Damian ever found out she had seen it, he would likely break out the kryptonite. Still, since she was safe, she allowed herself to return to freaking out at the cuteness. “This is the greatest picture I have ever seen! Thank you!” 

Talia’s smile grew even wider as she backed out of the photo and showed just how large the gallery of baby pictures was. “Wait and see Kent, it only gets better from here!”

13