10 Retrospektive – Mark
21 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It had been two weeks. Two weeks of virtually doing nothing but adapting. How many times had Mark wished his first day in this damned new life had ended differently. Well it would have even better if the change in his life hadn't occurred at all. He sighed as he remembered the fateful day...

The morning and his drive to work were a little clouded. He had been told it was a normal occurrence since his second transformation hadn't had occurred at this point. Jenny had been severely scolded for letting him go at all much less alone. He had been something like a nuke. A white phoenix in state of transformation without control or supervision. She should have called her father the moment she saw his colour. The clan-head was to be informed in cases like this. He would have known that a white phoenix needed to transform a second time before being in control. Shoulda coulda woulda.

Well in retrospective the horse had had already bolted, the milk had been spilled. Maybe his feelings towards this new powers of his wouldn't be as tense as they were now, but who cares. He did certainly not.

He remembered sitting in front of the chiefs office. Lisa had appeared and comforted him, but his instincts and inner pressure had been high...

 

'Oh my dear. I know I should have been prepared for this.' Lisa said with a sad smile 'I mean I always knew I wasn't the one who would be so lucky to have you in my clan. I mean permanently. But you know I love you like a pup of mine... ' she trailed off.

'Why do you say so? Am I not free to spend time with you any longer?' Mark asked bewildered and frightened by the thought of loosing his stepmother. An unknown possessiveness and anger flared up deep inside him. He wouldn't let this happen.

'Well don't worry, dear. You are a phoenix. Thankfully it's this clan that got a hold on you. None of the other big clans are that easy to get along with in regards of dealing with the minor clans.' she reassured him with a smile. Before she added 'But I will certainly take my time getting used to that new smell of yours. You smell like a wildfire, dear, I haven't smelled this much power in a phoenix since I met your father-in-law. Are you by chance no normal coloured phoenix?' she asked and Mark tried to answer, but the office's door swung open.

An older male version of Jennifer Teine smiled at him and invited them in. Red hair and lively green eyes.

'hello brother-in-law. Don't worry, though it occurs at our workplace right now... I have called you in a solely personal matter to my office. As you might have guessed I am the new commissioner. But first of all I am John Teine, son to Jordan and Amelie Teine, your wife's older brother. Have no fear I am not here to pressure you any more than you already are. I just want to be the first one to get to know the newest addition to our clan.' John explained in a speed of speech that reminded more of an excited child than a dignified commissioner. Mark couldn't keep himself from smiling. This brother-in-law seemed not too bad after all. He greeted him friendly and followed behind.

The three of them had entered the spacious office, which felt quite inviting though it couldn't hide its representative character. It featured a big hardwood desk with a big black leather office-chair and three fitting guest-stool on the other side. There were no real walls but only huge one-way windows that offered perfect privacy as well as a complete panoramic view of the surrounding city. They were really high up. Though he had been severely afraid of heights, now he felt perfectly comfortable. Not all changes were bad.

A bird with acrophobia would have been certainly ridiculous. Mark had to suppress hysterical chuckle upon this thought. There was a railing in front of the nearest window. It consisted of steal steel feet and a single wooden bar, that seemed quite stable and Mark wondered whether the height, that was slightly higher than usual, was a coincidence or if it was used as an accommodation for the commissioner's phoenix-form. His phoenix-side would love to have such a rest and hated himself for even thinking about these things as if they were normal. Human. He was no human not any-more. Tears shot into his eyes.

Lisa and John watched Mark carefully. Lisa who had known since he was very young, sighed inwardly as she saw the turmoil her son was in. John on the other hand didn't know him as a person but he knew perfectly well the drawbacks of being a phoenix – especially whilst merging. The phoenix-form was never far and so was an inferno. He sighed as he saw Mark struggle. As a dutiful elder brother he had double-checked his brother-in-law – even before sending him undercover.

His sisters love-story had been well in his expectations. One could even say his father had orchestrated it. A fact he was never to disclose. This young officer and now detective was one of the brightest stars his police force had produced. Ever. It was John sixth lifetime as a police commissioner.

It was far easier for phoenixes to hide their longevity and possible immortality than it was for the other clans since they were able to age and even die if they wanted to. Well they didn't stay dead permanently, but long enough to dispel any doubts about their humanity. Even their outer appearance would change slightly after rebirth if they wanted too. It had saved them from all kinds of persecution in the past.

Those were the upsides of living as a Phoenix. But especially those blessed with a lot of potential and power were more than a little ferocious and prideful. Especially whilst merging.

His sisters husband was more than blessed and tended to be strong-willed in his past life as a human. Knowing his sister John knew, that she hadn't asked him if he wanted to become a Phoenix. He doubted even his father had known how far they had progressed. Jordan Teine would have been prepared for any possible outcome. He would not have this fledgling go unobserved for a minute.

John sighed. He had to inform his father. The clan-head wouldn't be too amused.

'well... My dear Mark... I guess it was a little overwhelming to be changed like this... May I ask you a few questions?' he asked carefully.

Mark who had been fully immersed in his own thoughts startled and felt ashamed to be this rude. He sighed.

'sure. I am sorry it was a lot to stomach lately...' he apologized sincerely. His shoulders sank and he looked at the desk studying the lines in the wooden surface.

'well... First of all did my sister ask you? And what did she tell you about being a Phoenix?' John asked and observed his new family members face. It hurt him to see how deeply wounded Mark was. The young Phoenix felt betrayed by his lifetime-partner. 'no she didn't. She did neither.' Mark answered stiffly.

'what do you mean by neither..?'Lisa asked shocked. She looked over to John who just shrugged.

' she neither asked me if I wanted to change nor did she teach me anything. The only thing she did was binding me by the matrimonial flight.' Mark spat and his anger flared like a spitfire. Blue sparks appeared around his fingers. He took a deep breath, calmed himself down and they disappeared.

John looked at him disbelieving. 'is it just me or is your soul fire blue? What is your phoenix-form's colour? Is it white by chance?' he asked. Mark shrugged and answered without any emotion in his voice 'Yes that's true. Jennifer said I was okay though this colour would come with special powers.' John, the Phoenix-crown-prince asked in a shocked tone. The only other white Phoenix he knew was his father. This was big news. For all clans. He smiled inwardly.

' this is big news. I have to think about it. I suggest you go ahead and take a look at your new workplace.' John suggested to Mark. He knew he should have sent him home. Not to his own home, naturally, but the clans quarters, either the city house or better to the main residence in the countryside. But if this young man here was to travel right now, he would be a kind of a ticking time bomb. The sparks he had produced just yet were the proof.

John smiled as he knew his agents in the clan's special forces they were all annoying bastards of their own right. They would surely trigger the second transformation that was needed to console his new brother-in-law. The environment he could offer was not ideal but at least safe.

Lisa watched him smile and knew her boss had a plan of his own. She wouldn't interfere since she didn't want to ruin his plot. It would not harm her son. John Teine was no one to hurt his family. He had acknowledged Mark as such. It might be unpleasant at Mark's end but she was sure it was necessary. She knew John tried to stabilize the power her son emitted in suffocating waves.

 

Naturally Mark didn't know what either of them thought. He completely caught in the whirlpool of his emotions and couldn't quite get a hold of himself. He was like a tiny boat swimming on the waves of his new powers. Frightened of himself he raged inwardly against Jenny who had forced him into this end.

Mark sighed as he remembered his feelings at that point. Even now two weeks later he could feel the quills of his feathers trying to grow and his soul-flames struggle to overcome the borders he had set up. The young Phoenix was quite impressed by himself he had not transformed at that point. The sting of Jenny treason had hurt, even more at that point. But even though it was not a good moment it was not the worst of that day. By far...

Marks thoughts returned to the moment the decline towards the low of that day had started. He shook his head remembering.

 

When Lisa and Mark had left the commissioners office John took out his mobile and called his father.

'Dad. It's about your son-in-law. Mark, I told you about him. Jenny changed him. She did neither ask him nor taught him anything. He is a white Phoenix now. Still not stable. I sent him down to the Familas. I think they will be perfectly perform to trigger the second transformation.' he told his father.

' good job. I think you safes the day. Have an eye on him son. You know how volatile his powers are now. Get him to meet me - later when he has come to terms with himself, a bit at least... I will talk some sense into your sister in the meantime. Idiotic little girl' the Phoenix-king growled. John sighed in relief that he was not the one who had provoked his anger.

He pitied Mark for what he had become, being a normal Phoenix was hard enough... Being a white Phoenix was a menace to ones sanity...

Mark and Lisa reached the staircase. Lisa would have taken the elevator but Mark, who had been perfectly able to use it when he came here, couldn't bring himself to get into the cabin. He stood there helpless victim of his own new instincts.

They went down to ground-level and exited into a courtyard Mark had never seen before. There were several small pavilions. 'is this the special forces area?' he asked curiously. Lisa smiled.

'yes it is. This is my old and now our new workplace. It is the Familia unit. We specialize in clan affairs. All of us are clan members. We enforce the clans' jurisdiction.' she explained proudly and headed straight towards one of the pavilions. She opened the door and waved at him to enter.

The room was spacious but seemed small. Mark couldn't actually put a finger on why he felt this way. There were only five people inside. Three men and two women. But they filled the room as if it was stuffed.

'oh look who's back, children ... My clan's alpha who's priorities were elsewhere when we needed her. And I see she brought the pup that kept her from doing her job... ' a blond muscular man uttered in a sarcastic tone. He leaned back and his yellow eyes glittered as challenged Lisa.

Lisa smiled back and said matter of factly 'nice to see you two, my loyal beta. I did indeed bring our new comrade. His name is Mark and I assure you that he will crush you with his little finger if you challenge him. He is a white Phoenix. So behave yourself like proper agents instead of jealous kindergarteners and introduce yourself.' her tone was bare of emotion and her smile carried a hint of cruelty.

The blonde bowed obviously intimidated by her speech, like she used some underlying alpha magic. He began to speak in a slightly hoarse way.' I am sorry. My name is Michael and I am the Beta of Lisa pack. I have lead it as a steward. I am a werewolf..'

'Nice to meet you' Mark answered.

'My name is Joanne and I am a kitsune. I am something like an undercover specialist.' a small Japanese looking woman offered her hand for a shake.

'well meet.' Mark mumbled as his head ached trying to change his form.

'my name is Lorenzo and I do not care who or what you are... Well that's not entirely true... I think you are a dumb birdbrain of some exalted clan who should leave the real work to us who know what to do.' a black haired and eyed man called out of the rooms edge.

He stood up and circled towards Mark. ' you're nothing but a coward not in control of what you are. Non match for a were-panther like me.' he stated as he laughed at Mark, who gave his very best to control his urge to transform and burn this waste of space to ashes. He won the battle - slightly - though he felt his barriers wearing thin.

The panther who thought himself in control of the situation laughed and thought Marks lack of response for cowardice. 'not even brave enough to put on a fight. I will get rid of you for the sake of us all. We don't need a whim like you. A whoreson who's parents died out of shame to have such a son. ' than he lashed out.

The moment he transformed and struck his claws at Mark many things happened at once. Lisa grew pale as did the rest of the unit. Mark who was now in sync with his other half transformed willingly. He was big and emitted a blinding white and blue light. His flames were so hot all others were pushed back as he lashed out stopping the claw with one his wings before burying his claws into the panthers abdomen. His war cry resounded as he burned him to ashes.

When he transformed back and came back to senses he felt guilt rise in his heart. Lisa comforted him as he cried. The rest of the team didn't seem shocked but rather pleased by his actions.

Lisa had told when he asked her that he had defended his clan's dignity. This challenge had had only one end result in their eyes. Either Lorenzo or Mark would have died. He had earned their respect.

He had succumbed to the Phoenix' primal instincts and killed just like the animal he was. Even two weeks after the event Mark felt like a monster, no matter what others told him. But he was strangely okay with it. The merging corrupted his way of thinking and changed his mind about certain aspects of society.

He was a born killer. A bird of prey. This was the reason why the clans had their own jurisdiction independent of the humans. They looked after themselves and he was now part of their executive force.

A special agent of the Familia unit.

0