E013 – Let us forge our new path together.
626 5 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Bosk and Wolfen both awoke, Rori informed them of what Ares had said. The pair, though suspicious, decided to split off into their own group.

Ares thought long and hard about what he did. There was a tyranny that he had yet to embrace, but he knew that sooner or later he would have to.

Rori walked back over to him. “Bosk and Wolfen have left with their people.”

“How many did they take?”

“About a third each.”

“Was that what you expected?”

“I expected more to leave.”

Ares laughed and then nodded. “Then I guess we should pray for good fortune. I expected much more to leave too, I thought I’d be left with maybe ten or twenty.” Ares clasped his hands together and then stared down at them. “Rori…”

Rori remained silent, waiting for Ares to continue. Ares continued to stare down at his hands, bringing one up in front of him. Could he really do this? Could he really lead all these people? This wasn’t a game, this was real. He may have had a form of immortality, but these people did not. A coldness took him from the inside and he shuddered. No. He had to lead. He had already committed to the rite, and these people had stayed because they trusted in Rori’s judgement of his abilities. He clenched his fists and then looked up towards the bear man.

“Nevermind.” Ares then stood and made his way towards the centre of town, where his people were still packing up their things. It was nearly noon at this time, and they would have to move quickly if they were to find a decent place to camp for the night. A hundred or so people were manageable, especially with Rori at his side. He stopped at the centre and then cleared his throat. Many of the beast folk stopped packing and then turned to face him, though a few continued working.

“Hey!” Ares exclaimed out to get their attention, and those that had been still packing, stopped and threw a glance in his direction. Ares motioned with his head for them to come around, and there was a moment of hesitation. Ares furrowed his brows, putting up his chin as if to dare them to try it. They relented and then came towards him. Ares continued to stare at the group for a while, shook his head, and then looked aside to the rest of his people.

His people. Whoa. The thought of it brushed his mind for a moment, but he let it go.

“I first want to thank all of you for your faith in Rori. I know that most of you aren’t here for me. Still, you’ve given me the chance to win you over, and that’s all I need. I want to thank Rori too.” He glanced over towards the bear man. “For your faith in me. I won’t forget it.” He nodded, and Rori bowed his head in return. Ares then turned back to face his people.

“We’ll be heading out soon. Take whatever you can with you, but if you have to leave things behind, leave behind anything that isn’t necessary for survival. You may have items that you hold dear to yourself, but I assure you, you will have more of such items in the future.” Ares paused for some times and then he looked down.

“As we head along our way I’ll be trying to figure out who the hunters are, as well as the specialities we have at our disposal. We won’t be able to fight with only bakers or cooks, we’ll need a wide variety of skills and craftsmen. Also, during the evening meal I will pick a family to dine with me. You can bring to me any worries you have, or just chat with me, though I’m not sure just how good company I can be.” He nodded. “Alright, you can continue about your business.” He then walked over to Rori.

“Do you need any help with packing up or anything?” Ares asked.

“I do not, but would you be willing to help my niece, Nora? I’ll do a patrol with a few.” He led Ares to a bear woman, who had long brunette hair, freckles across her face. She also had a large scar from the side of her cheek, snaking around down her neck, and then disappearing into her clothing.

Rori growled something at her and she nodded her head and then she looked over to Ares, nodding her head. “Chief.” Then she went back to packing her things away, though every time she tried to squat down, it did take her some time, her leg shaking slightly.

Ares dropped down to help her. “It’s a pleasure to meet you Nora.” He said as he hoisted up the various boxes. “Leave this kind of thing to me, I’ll load up the carts.”

It was a good thing he kept most of the carts, as well as the various oxen that they had managed to catch after the soldier attack, otherwise the moving would have been rough. Even though he did say he wouldn’t stop the others from leaving, he had to prioritise his people first.

“I don’t know if it’s rude to ask but…” Ares trailed off and then looked over to Nora. “Where did you get the scar?” He asked her.

“My people were attacked many years ago by the humans. I received a blow during the raid, and I was left for dead. For good measure, they also plunged their blade into my thigh.”

Ares recalled Rori mentioning such a thing happening before. “Sorry…”

“You don’t need to apologise, you weren’t the one who gave me this wound.”

“Yeah.” He cleared his throat and then looked down, before remaining silent and helping her place her items aside.

With everything that had been going on, Ares had forgotten something. “Nora, don’t place your items onto the oxen just yet.” He said. “I’ll be right back.” Then he made his way to find Rori, who he found a little later at the village gates.

“Rori. Do you think it would be best for the elderly and the young to remain on the carts as we move, rather than their items?”

“Indeed, but we cannot carry so many things, unless you wish for us to abandon most of our things. It would be a difficult path forward…”

“No. We can take everything. Tell the people to place all their belonging in piles, making sure they keep every separate per family. Any without family can join together to a single pile.” He trusted Rori to do this, if he were the one to ask, the others may be far too suspicious of him.

Rori left to do so and Ares checked on the dirt mound that he had placed over the dead bodies of the soldiers. He then placed the remaining dirt on top, only to then take it back again, wanting to make sure he knew just how much dirt he had in his ring.

He felt a little stupid for it to take so long for him to remember such an ability, especially considering just how useful it was in this scenario.

He returned to the village to see large piles of fur bundles. He was about to shift them away when he realised he should probably explain what was going to happen to make sure no one panicked.

“Thank you for your cooperation. I’m sure many of you are confused as to why I have instructed for such a thing, but I will now show you the method to my madness.” He raised a hand. He then shifted Rori and his family’s bundle, making it disappear into thin air.

The villagers watched in awe. Some had seen this ability, those most had not. Ares left his hand in the air and then waved it once more, returning all the items as they once were.

“I have the ability to carry much with me, and so I’ll be in charge of transporting such items. The young, sick, injured and the elderly can remain on the various carts until we arrive at our destination. I recommend keeping with you some supplies, food, weapons and the like, but everything else, entrust to me.”

Rori nodded his head, taking a few items. His family followed suit, and when they were finally done, Ares transported everything away. He watched patiently as a few others began to take some supplies, and some took a few sentimental items just in case, but allowed him to shift all the items away.

Ares felt a little warm. He was glad that they were beginning to trust him a little, though he knew he had so much more to do. Ares bowed his head to the villagers.

“Let us forge our new path together.”

15