E269 – Hence why I listen to my wife so much, even if it means it’s not quite as fun.
41 2 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rivea was currently being filled with more and more refugees, a few joining on their own volition, whereas many were being guided back by Heria’s warriors. About twenty soldiers would return with about two hundred or so people. It was only a matter of time until something was going to happen, so Ares began to guide various Riveans and the refugees to the towns that they had created, which had been looked after by Rori’s guidance.

The superblocks were also being created in a new section of Rivea, and they were almost done with the first one. It used a wide open area that allowed people to live there by the hundred.

It was a lot smaller than he expected it to be, And it was only one floor high. He had hoped for it to be multiple floors, but it seemed that the carpenters had overruled such a decision.

"You wanted a community," Rono said. He was a tall, strapping guy, perhaps one of the most attractive members of Rivea. He was an oxfolk, with long black hair, dark eyes that seemed to piece into one's very soul, with a physique that was divine by the gods. Ares had expected someone like him to be a member of the elite guard, but apparently he was some kind of carpeting and building genius.

"If you want a community, then you want one floor, everyone on equal ground. The second floors can be places for gathering, reached by stairs outside the home. You wanted greenery to not be sacrificed, and so we didn't sacrifice that at all. On the inside is a small area for gatherings. Once we make more superblocks, we can designate the middle block go be where people can gather to buy things, the centre of the town."

"If you say so," Ares said. "I'm disappointed there's no second floors, but if it's your side decision, then I won't go against it."

"We could add second floors one day, the ground stone will be hardy enough. I wouldn't recommend more than two floors for now."

"You've done good work," Ares said. "I'd like for you to move in about fifty Riveans and then maybe around twenty five rhino folk and buffalofolk, those that have the greatest need, like those with young children."

Rono nodded his head. The first superblock was mostly complete, except for the greenery. The second was well on it's way too, though Rori had slowed the process down. Right now there should have been two done and the third was to make way, but Rori had pulled away a few of the needed stone in order to begin the process of creating a wall around Rivea.

Ares continued to think about the superblocks for some time, and Rono waited for him to finish his thoughts. “As long as…” Ares paused. He realised he had very little knowledge on urban planning. “Change and adapt the superblocks as you please. Soon I will need someone in charge of planning the various cities that will dot the landscape, and I can’t continue to oversee such tasks. If you can figure out what works best, then I’ll leave it to you.” Ares reached up and then tapped Rono’s shoulder, who nodded. “Remember. Each block should house multiple families and there should be an inner area to gather and meet, as well as some greenery. Those are the parameters.”

Ares returned back to Rivea proper. He could see the large number of peoples, now filled with various other types. There were far more bearfolk, tigerfolk and catfolk about now, and even handfuls of people like foxfolk and deerfolk. These had been those that had heard the tale of Rivea and wished to join. He had sprinkled them between his Rivean families, leaving them in charge of teaching them the confusing matters of Rivea. He had been giving speeches and such about what it meant to be Rivean during the dinners, and even sometimes during breakfast, just to recap what they had talked about the morning before.

“Ares-kin,” called a wolffolk rider.

Ares nodded towards them as they approached, allowing them to state their message.

“There are humans at the border.”

Ares raised his brow. ‘Humans? At the border? Now this can’t do.’ He had made a deal with the soldiers not long ago, he was certain the treaty was still in effect.

“They don’t look like soldiers,” the wolffolk said, as though able to understand what Ares was thinking. “They seem to be those of King Abdan’s folk, their skin is quite dark.”

“Oh.” Ares remained silent for a long moment, thinking about how best to approach the matter at hand. “Then I suppose King Abdan and I will need to make a visit.”

Ares approached King Abdan, who was currently speaking with his people. Some of them worked as soldiers to police the nearby area, some as labourers, but they mostly kept to themselves.

“King Ahreez, what do I owe the pleasure?” Abdan said as he reached out an arm.

Ares shook it. “It seems as though there are humans at our border.”

“It is so?”

“They have skin like yours, so we wonder if perhaps they are your people. I haven’t seen them myself, but I was hoping we could take a look together.”

Abdan cocked his head aside slightly, thinking for a few moments. “Let us go,” he said.

With that the pair, along with a few of their guards, rode their way to the fort. Well, Ares sat in a cart with a great number of blankets, taking Ozar and Ozri with him. This was partly due to the fact that riding aggravated his wound, and he didn’t want to ride alone in the cart for that would be too embarrassing.

It had given him a good excuse to spend time with the twins, as he was trying to spend a fair amount with them as well. The pair were sleeping silently beside him. He had expected to chat and play with them, but this worked just fine for him.

“It is rare to see them so still,” Abdan said. “They are often found running along through the streets, well, one more than the other.”

“Is that so?” Ares smiled. “Well they are a pair of energy.”

“Their sister as well, though she moved not quite so quick. She is stable, firm, like rock without water.”

“That sounds like Runar, that’s for sure.”

“Soon they will have another sibling, yes?”

“Soon.”

“Have you a name?”

“Not yet,” Ares said, thinking on it. “I’ll have to discuss it with Lana.”

“Are you hoping for a boy or girl?”

“I think a girl,” Ares said with a small smile. “Though a boy might make more sense. I’m currently favouring Runar too much and I might end up favouring the youngest as well.”

“It is the way of parents,” Abdan said.

Ares nodded, agreeing with the sentiment. He supposed that Abdan, through all the strife he had to go through, had probably wizened up beyond his years.

The fort was as lively as ever. There were a great number of rhinofolk and buffalofolk about, helping the labourers around. They were also helping with the second layer of the wall, where Ares could see a few humans gathered opposite it some ways aside, and they indeed had dark skin. There were maybe a hundred or so about, and a small force of Riveans was nearby, at the ready in case something was to occur. He wondered where the Reptai were, but spotted them far aside, and he could also see a great number of them along the horizon, scanning the perimeter of Rivea.

“What say you?” Ares asked. “Are they yours?”

“No, they are not of mine. They are Dreez, distant cousins who have become a slave people long ago.”

Ares could see how thin they were, not quite from starvation, but to keep them lithe and limber for work. Ares stepped out from the cart, though soon heard his twins move about and then awaken.

“You two can play around here, but don’t go causing any trouble okay?” Ares poked their cheeks and then threw a look towards their White Cloaks. “Good luck.”

With that the pair of Kings marched their way to the humans, a small group of soldiers following them.

“Hello there,” Ares said, throwing a look to the humans. “How may I be of assistance?”

“You are the one they call Ares,” a man about Ares’ age stepped forward. He was dark skinned, like Abdan, with short black hair, dark eyes, and a lithe physique. His eyes were slightly almond shaped.

“King Ares, Master of Waters, Kin of all Riveans. This good sir beside me is King Abdan.”

The man’s eyes fell onto Abdan for a moment, but then returned back to Ares. “We have come to Rivea, for they say it a land welcome to all.”

“It is, safe refuge for all that find themselves persecuted and such. Are you such peoples?”

“We have long been a slave people, but that is not our way.”

“I take it that you want to join Rivea?”

“If it means that our bondage is broken?”

“Rivea is a different sort of bondage, but it is bondage all the same.”

The man’s eyes darkened, squinting suspiciously at Ares. “We have not escaped one bondage to suffer another.”

“Everyone in Rivea is in bondage,” Ares said. “Myself to my people, and my people to me. That is the way of Rivea.”

“We will not be slave people for another master.”

“No one in Rivea is a slave. Everyone has their place, sure. Most have a choice of where they want to work, but it is the needs of Rivea as a whole that comes before the individual, myself included. Hence why I listen to my wife so much, even if it means it’s not quite as fun.”

The man turned back to his people. “It is our darkest hour yet,” he said.

“Come to Rivea and watch,” Ares said. “If you like what you see, you may come and join us. If you don’t, then you can leave, find yourself a place elsewhere.”

The man eyed Ares up suspiciously.

Ares shrugged. “I’ll let you think on it.” With that, Ares turned and then made his way back. “Bring them some food and allow them to sleep near the walls. Allow them to sleep under some tents, we’ll send you more from Rivea.” Ares threw a look to the other refugees and migrants, making sure they were kept in decent conditions. There was already a tent town forming by all the people, and Rori had implemented a structure and routine for the refugees to keep them out of trouble.

‘Rori’s too smart for his own good.’

0