E182 – Thanks for the assist.
56 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Ares looked out to the mass of oxfolk ahead of him. A reassurance fell through him like a wave as he lead his near three thousand Reptai ahead to meet with the oxfolk. Yet as Ares approached, he watched as the oxfolk formed into rows and rows ahead of him, grabbing onto their weapons as they did so.
 
Ares raised a brow as the oxfolk ran into formation and he threw a glance back towards Anka and then forward to Kask.
 
“What’s going on?” He whispered to the scout.
 
“They’re going to fight us,” Kask said as he grabbed onto his bow and knocked an arrow.
 
“What?” Ares reached up to hold his heart within his hand. He looked beyond the thousands of oxfolk to see that the fort beyond had only oxfolk. Then a dread filled Ares.
 
“Zika! Get your soldiers to form up!” Ares exclaimed to the Reptai who roared out to her people.
 
“Fight! Fight! Fight!” She raised her own weapon, a long spear with the blade of a size of a short sword. She was ready and eager it seemed, raring to go within moments.
 
“I’ll go try to talk with them,” Ares said as he stepped forward. What had happened for the oxfolk to come and betray him so? These were not the same oxfolk that he had left behind, they were not Riveans, but the oxfolk that remained from the splitting of the Horns. Why had they chosen to betray him in such a way?
 
He stepped forward, joined with his loyal dragonfolk guardian. Though as Ares approached he quickly realised that the oxfolk wouldn’t back down. They stood in their rows, a mass of giant beastly people.
 
Ares stopped as an oxfolk woman approached him, riding on her large oxen. He did not recognise her entirely though he was sure he had seen the woman before near one of the Horns, but his thoughts were interrupted by her clear voice.
 
“You have finally returned,” she said. “We expected you many weeks from now.” There was no emotion within her voice, she spoke quite manner-of-fact to him.
 
“I have returned,” Ares said as he looked to the castle. “I see you’ve occupied my fort.”
 
“You will bring a great calamity upon us,” she said. “It is the decision of the three Horns to rid the greatest threat of our time.”
 
“You should be focusing your attention on the humans, not me. I was a friend.”
 
“You appeared to be a friend.”
 
Ares glared up at her. “So that’s it?” Ares looked beyond her. “You haven’t managed to take Rivea, have you?”
 
She did not respond. They could have done so, but Ares doubted that his armies would have lost so easily. Less than half the oxfolk were here, and it seemed as though Rivea was in trouble. What a time to be so weak…
 
Ares clutched at his chest. It ached. The throbbing intensified after a moment and his face contorted to further rage and anguish.
 
“We are fortunate that you have been weakened. We will rid of you yet.” The oxfolk woman then rode back to her people as Ares turned and walked back to Zika.
 
Their armies were of equal size, yet they held the fort that he had designed to protect Rivea. To think that it had been taken. He wondered what had happened to those stationed there, and those that held it’s protection. Heria wouldn’t have allowed them to take it so easily…
 
Then a sense of dread filled him. What was happening at Rivea? There was a straight line from the fort to Rivea, and it wasn’t as though…
 
No. They would have been prepared. The bells would have given them plenty of warning, there was no way the oxfolk could have taken it without the bells ringing. He’d have to place some faith into his people.
 
“What unfortunate timing,” Ares said. He looked to Zika. “I ask of your aid, Zika. My people are in need and I have no army to face those at the gates.”
 
“We have accepted the task of helping you, Ares. This is but our first battle.”
 
Ares bowed his head. “I’m sorry to have burdened you so quickly. I had wished to-”
 
The sound of drums echoed through the area as the oxfolk then roared. They began to charge and Ares turned to face them. He pulled his hand away from his chest and then summoned a spear.
 
Ares threw a look towards Saykkera and then to Emerli. He looked back to Saykkera. “Can you fly to check on Rivea?”
 
Saykkera did not budge.
 
“You have to let them know that we will be there soon,” he said. “If it has fallen and there are no Riveans alive then,” Ares stared deep into Saykkera’s eyes, “return to me and we shall retreat.”
 
Saykkera still did not bulge. Ares reached over to grab her shoulder. “You are the only one that can do this. They may need your aid. You are our hope right now.” He pulled her forehead to his and held it for a moment as the thundering of the charging oxfolk neared.
 
Saykkera then leapt into the air, her wings flashing out. She dashed ahead and spewed out hot flame onto a trail of the oxfolk, taking out a handful before she then darted away.
 
“Omni Nine, the rest of you need to get to somewhere safe.” He threw a look to Emerli. “Now go.”
 
The Reptai roared and then charged at the oxfolk that had finally arrived. Ares did not dally either, he charged in to clash with the oxfolk. Most of them had come to the centre and were crashing against the Reptai, who fought with a harsh fury.
 
Yet Ares was pained and weak. He could not fight with as much heart as he wished. He was not angry at the oxfolk, he could understand where they were coming from. A superstitious lot, just like those from his own world. Atrocities had been committed for less.
 
Ares was quickly overwhelmed in the battle. He could barely even form a thought to stop the pain as he stumbled back, being hacked into by an oxfolk. Yet as he fell, no one had come to finish the job.
 
A flash appeared ahead of him, and then another.
 
“It seems as though your people are in trouble,” Xan said. “It would be troublesome if you dropped dead so quickly.”
 
“Thanks for the assist,” Ares said as he concentrated on trying to heal his wounds. He still could feel the lack of will behind his actions, but the thought of Rivea needing his aid cleared his mind. ‘Pathetic.’
 
He grabbed the spear that had fallen beside him.
 
 
1