Chapter 16 – Fault
128 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dall slowly came to. His eyelids were heavy, and every blink stung. As they opened, his vision was dangerously blurred, and he couldn’t make out anything of his surroundings. His unnaturally calm and steady heartbeat rhythmically pounded in his eardrums. As he listened carefully to his heart, he began to hear someone crying. It was subtle at first, but it gradually grew louder and louder. His nose flared. Screams and cries roared in his ears. Blood rushed to his head. There was a strange sensation dancing on his skin, and every time he felt it, he cringed and felt a tremendous amount of anger swirling in his stomach. The terrible shrieking bounced around in his head.

He wanted to throw his hands up to cover his ears, but his body was completely immobile. He grit his teeth and attempted to thrash around to no avail. It was as if there was a huge weight forcing him to the ground and slamming against his body. The weight was unbearable, and sweat poured down his cheeks and back. He shivered. A cold, horrible chill ran up and down his spine.

What the hell’s happening to me, he cried in his heart.

The convulsions and ear-piercing sounds continued on until they gradually subsided and his breath slowly steadied itself. He gasped. What was that? His vision slowly came back to focus, and his stomach churned. For the scenery before him wasn’t the same as what he remembered seeing last.

Where am I?

His surroundings were very much different now. There were no crumbled, burnt buildings around him. Nor were their towering pillars of fire and smoke. The ground beneath him, rather than the roughened and jagged stones of the broken and ripped up streets, there was a small field of green grass. All around him were looming trees reaching high into the sky, small patches of colorful flowers and brush, and the air was clean and clear. The sky above was cloudless, and the sun shone brilliantly down on him. 

What… happened? Why aren’t I in Fora? 

He tried to look side to side, but as his head refused to move, his vision was limited. Dall mentally clicked his tongue and he grumbled. 

This plane was very similar to nearly every single forest he’s ever been in. This simple and small clearing, however, greatly reminded him of the Night Forest near his home. It was so familiar that he believed that he was there. Light shining down was limited to the space, and the area beyond the trees were covered in pitch black and darkness. If this really is it, then I’m screwed, he thought. Even if it looks like I’m in a safe-zone, I’m weaponless. But the most important thing is how. How the hell did I get here? He strained himself to stay awake. Was I captured? Did the Eldreds kidnap me? What’s the deal?!

“How about this lady,” a childish voice started.

Hm? He looked up, and saw a lone figure standing in the center of the field. He couldn’t quite make out who this figure was, nor could he tell what they were doing. However, at the moment, their identity mattered little to him. The only thing that mattered to him right now was deciphering whether or not this person was an enemy or an ally. They’re a ways away. And it’s just one person. But let’s make sure. He steadied his heart and he closed his eyes. Now that he was somewhat awake and able, he thought to use one of the skills he had honed from the War: “Deep Sight”

The darkness around him changed.

In the blackness, a pure white dot appeared and shone brightly. It moved and looped around in a complex fashion, leaving a trail wherever it went. The light dimmed slightly. The lines were moving around his body, outlining its entirety. Everything from his torso to his fingers. He breathed in and out. 'Release', he whispered to himself. The brightness of the lines around his body exploded, and they slithered away from him. One by one, tens by tens, the lines danced and ran towards the darkness. Some of the lines stopped, while others forged onward. They wrapped around themselves, flew upwards, crawled across the blackened ground. Once they reached where they needed to, all of them froze in place. 

Now the entirety of his surroundings were outlined. They shimmered, bent, and shook slightly, distorting the shapes they created, but he had a rough sketch of what was around him. The trees, the blades of grass, the brush, the flowers, and even the sun were outlined. However, now he could feel the presence of those things. Almost as if he could touch them.

Everything was rather clear to him.

Everything.

He could even see what could be hiding behind the towering trees, for since the outlines were merely that - outlines - the lines also formed in the empty space of the trees. He looked around everywhere, trying to figure where the best hiding places would be, and after searching each and every one, he came up with the conclusion that this person was alone. 

However, there was one strange thing that caught his attention. Next to the figure, he saw the outline of a round orb. What is that? He initially chalked it up to be a casual mistake of the skill. This would generally happen if there was a large dust cloud floating around, or if there were bubbles floating around. However, the orb circled around the figure at a gentle speed. It was clearly sentient. And it was something that piqued his interest. 

“I’ll heal him just a little more so that he can wake up. All for you,” it said.

Now that he had confirmed that there were no people hiding, he decided to open his eyes. However, the outline of that strange orb flew towards him. Before he could react, a sharp electrical shock surged through his muscles. The pain ran down his spine, and his body felt like it was spasming, yet he never budged an inch. 

“Who knows, maybe he can help you out, or maybe he’ll be a total waste of space. Either way, it could be a funny sight seeing his face if you fail.” 

“W-Wait, what do you mean!?” a familiar voice yelled.

The shocks furiously coursed through his veins. He grit his teeth, blood trickling down his lips. 

What’s going on?! 

However, just as soon as it appeared, the pain instantly dissipated. He coughed silently and he shook his head.

“Dammit,” the voice whispered. “They definitely didn’t…”

The figure turned its attention to him, and he lifted his head. He blinked and when he saw the person, he knew who it was. Well isn’t this great… he thought. However, he decided he needed to confirm whether or not he knew the  person standing before him. “Ava?” he asked, his voice incredibly weak. Oh gross, my voice is messed up.

The girl in front of him gasped. Her face was riddled with tears and it was evident that was incredibly shocked. However, he only saw her for a few seconds, for as soon as their eyes made contact, she twirled around. Her shoulders trembled, and she rubbed her eyes and arms. 

“Ava...?” he prodded her.

She stopped shaking and she turned to face him once more. However, rather than her surprised expression, she now gazed at him with a perfect smile. It was quite charming actually, and Dall felt that under normal circumstances his heart would’ve swooned for her. He felt that this girl was someone that men would crawl over to betroth. But her smile did not reach her eyes. The way she looked at him chilled him to his bones.

“Hi,” she said with a clear voice. She approached him and sat down on the ground. “How are you?” she asked, the smile still spread across her face.

“I’m... fine,” Dall said cautiously. He tilted his head, curious at her . “What’re you smiling for?”

“What do you mean?” she asked. 

He looked over her body and noticed that there was blood splattered all over her strange clothes. He looked behind her and saw that his sword was sticking out of the dirt. What has this girl been up to? “It looks like you’ve been busy,” Dall said. He stared into her eyes, and she stared back. “How long was I out?” he asked her.

She put a finger to her lips thoughtfully and said, “Three days.” 

“Three days,” he repeated. His heart thumped in his chest.

Ava held her breath. “Yes,” she said. “Three whole days.” She sighed and hung her head. “I’m kind of glad you’re awake now,” she whispered. “Good to know that when I die, you’re still at least going to be alive.”

Die. 

The word echoed in his head. 

Alive. 

“As long as those tiny freaks keep their word, you won’t die. Maybe you’ll be lucky enough that someone could come and find you here. Maybe those people I met earlier,” she said with a smile.

“What are you talking about?” he asked. Dall opened and closed his mouth. “I have so many questions…"

He stretched his neck forward and he coughed. She kept her straight gaze on him, and it was unbearably uncomfortable. He narrowed his eyes and took one last good look at her.

"What are you planning, why are you so dirty, why am I so injured… how did we get here, what happened back in Fora…?” Dall listed them out, almost as if his heart was pouring everything he wanted to ask. Then the screams that had previously subsided erupted all at once again. 

‘Dall!’ their voices rang. ‘Help us!’ He remembered the sight of Solace appearing out of the portal. The Despairities lined up, obeying a will that wasn’t theirs. Ava being dragged away, and the fires. The rising flames. And the memory of the townspeople being slaughtered. 

The shock of the memory incited his body to move, and he forced his body to the left, and emptied the contents of his stomach.

They’re dead, another voice whispered in his head. All of them

His heart leapt to his throat. A burning heart pricked his skin, and his face felt like it was on fire. His heart pounded and pounded, twisting his chest painfully. Garnell, Simon, Maria… all of the residents of Fora. The last image he had of them were their distorted and pain-filled expressions, twisted by fear and despair.

He grabbed onto his hair and lifted his knees to his chest. Tears swirled beneath his eyes and slowly dripped down his cheeks. 

Every single one.

“Because of me…” he whispered.

Indeed, the blame must’ve surely been on him. If only he could’ve been stronger, he could’ve protected the entirety of the town. If he could’ve at least survived that crash in the prison cells, he could’ve prevented countless deaths. And the main offender and reason for why it was his fault was something he wouldn't even dare to remember. He looked up at Ava. She held a straight-face, but he didn’t fail to notice that she was biting her lip so hard that there was a faint streak of of blood trickling down her chin. 

No, Ava, it wasn't your fault. 

He wanted to think that. It was ingrained on him ever since he was a child that he had to take responsibility for everything he did. He made the decision to save her. He chose her over everyone else.

But something ate away at him from the inside. Someone, something whispered in his ears that the woman in front of him was evil.

Gazing at her unperturbed face stroked something deep in his soul. The face of someone who didn't seem to care. The face of someone who couldn't be bothered by anyone other themselves. The same face as those who had ridiculed him in the past. A poisonous well of anger and fury rose in his stomach. 

It wasn't only my fault, was it? He began to think. He knew it was wrong, but the force whispering in his heart was so powerful, it couldn't be stopped. It had to be...

“You,” he said. He balled his hands into fists and he glared at her. “You’re responsible, too,” he growled. 

She returned his nasty gaze and declared, “On what basis are you saying that? Why is it my fault?”

“There's no doubt,” he said. “Think about it. It was only after you arrived that so many bad things happened. I’ve worked for my Father for years, and yet I’ve never seen anything like this. A monster horde coming from the South. A Bandit Raid on a Border Town. Tamed Despairities trampling and destroying a peaceful, innocent town. Solace… and the Eldreds… coming and killing everyone there. All of that wouldn’t have happened if you hadn’t appeared,” he said.

"So you're just gonna pin that all on me, are you?" she said, her voice dripping with disgust.

"What else can I blame it on?"

"Yourself."

"Of course I'm at fault," Dall growled. He punched himself. "Of course it was me. Of course. But you can't tell me that you aren't at all at fault."

Her fists were clenched so tightly her hands turned white. "...And?"

“They were right, weren’t they,” he muttered. Ava’s nose flared. “Those soldiers who were killed protecting you.”

Ava jumped to her feet. “Stop blaming me,” she hissed. “It’s not me. I’m never the one at fault, and yet,” she said. 

“How else can you explain this situation? It all traces back to you. In only one day all of those things happened. And you’re the only thing different. You’re the only one that brought everything to ruin.”

“Stop!” Ava yelled. The temperature around him dropped significantly. The heat he felt on his skin was now ice cold. “It’s always me. ‘Oh, I failed my test because Avice was next to me’. ‘I could’ve gotten my boyfriend if only Avice wasn’t around’. ‘My life would be so much better if only Avice didn’t exist’. Avice, Avice, Avice, it’s always my fault,” she grumbled, veins popping out of her skin. “What if none of that garbage was because of me?! Huh?! What if all of that happened if I wasn’t there? Would it still be my fault?! Why can’t anyone think differently and start taking responsibility for their own actions!” she screamed. She jabbed a finger at Dall. “What are you blaming me for, Dall?! For just being there in that prison?” she said. “What if you people actually listened to me and set me free? I could’ve been halfway to God-knows-where, leaving everyone in that town safe. Is it my fault they didn’t?! Is it my fault I was born?!  Are you blaming me for existing? ” 

Dall kept up his stern, furious gaze. However, as he watched her, tears streamed down her face. Her breathing was ragged, and her legs trembled and shivered. 

Once she realized what she had said, her eyes went wide and she turned around, just like she did before. “Ava, what’re you-” Dall whispered. 

“Don’t talk to me,” she muttered, her body quivering as she spoke. “I’ve already messed up,” she said. “I can’t take back my decision

“Wait-”

“Just stop,” she said. She turned to face him to tell him one more thing, however, when she looked down at him, her mouth shut. He didn’t know what she was looking at exactly, but before he could reach a conclusion, she tiredly whispered, “I’m going to go rest. You sleep too, I guess. And forget everything I said. You didn’t need to know any of that. And…” She clenched her fists. “Sorry. For everything. I’ll do my best to get you out of here alive. And as soon as I’m done, I’ll be gone.” 

She dragged her feet back to the center of the field, grabbed onto his sword, and continued on to the other end. She propped herself up against a tree and turned away from him. 

Dall remained speechless as he gazed at her curled up figure. She looked so pitiful and sad. His heart shattered and broke for her. If only he could move then he would get up and properly apologize to her. 

But his mouth and mind moved on their own.

“She’s unbelievable,” he muttered. "How dare she try to remove the blame from herself. There’s literally no other reason for why everything that happened happened."

No! I don't mean that! he screamed in his head. The blood boiling in his veins calmed down slightly, and his erratic breath steadied. 

He steadily raised his arms after figuring that he had enough energy and strength to move his body. Dall glared down at his roughened hands. He tightened them into fists and hit himself. 

But in the end it really is because of me. It’s because of my failure… tears clouded his vision, and his lips quivered. 

“I’m sorry everyone,” he said weakly.

More voices rang in his head, just like before. At first they were all jumbled and scrambled together, resulting in the mindless and incoherent screeches and ramblings screaming in his ears. However, he eventually managed to pick out a couple of voices. Voices that he didn't think he would hear for the rest of his life.

"You're useless as a noble, aren't you?" one voice chided.

"A complete disgrace to the Empire. Such a shame to be the failure son of a famed General," another added.

"Dall Greatsword - the man who couldn't even protect his family from harm."

All of those voices merged into one again and laughed.

His heart raced and his blood rushed to his head. Dall's hands and arms trembled, his heart caught in his throat. That same menacing force crept upon him once more. This time much more powerful than before.

A sharp pain stung his head, and a dreaded screech rang in his ears. 

"Not again", he said. His mind was empty and a smile appeared on his lips. "I won't be the same as before. I’ll do something about this. I swear it."

He once more looked up to Ava. He recalled what they had discussed together in the prison cell days ago. She had claimed that she hadn’t been under the spell of the Eldred Slave Mark, and he had believed her. He thought that no such person who carried that burden could possibly speak so freely and honestly. But it turned out that it was all a ploy. Dall ignored the fact that she was being targeted by Solace, a general of the Eldred army. In other words, someone that would have full control over her. With mere words he could’ve forced her to retreat with him, but he did no such thing. He ignored the possibility that he was here still alive and safe because she was there to save him. 

As long as there was the chance that she was allied with the Eldreds, willing or not, he would not show mercy. Especially now that he knew the Eldreds were the reason why his people perished.

It felt like fire was blazing at his fingertips. 

“I’ll avenge them. I swear it,” Dall declared, smiling. “And she will be the first to let their souls rest.”

1