3 old ways and promises – Lunara & Tora
14 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lunara looked at the barkeeper. She was at the tavern. Finally. Her late mother had told her to come here if she ever felt a magical problem was over her had. Something about an old promise yet to be fulfilled. She sighed. This promise got to be centuries-old. The young elven girl really hoped the tavern's landlord would be true to her word. Otherwise... no she wouldn't think about that right now, not if there was any other option left.

Her heart raced as she looked into the barkeepers black bottomless eyes. The woman raised her hand and waved her to come over. Maybe she was only exchanging one demon against another. It didn't matter any way. Sighing again she walked over to the bar were she was awaited. Trying to calm herself down she breathed consciously until her heart slowed down.

Lunara had the urge to hide her face, the mark that had formed right beneath her right ear, but resisted to do so. She was searching for help, she had to be completely honest in here. An other of her mother's good advices. Never lie or hide in the tavern between the lines. It was known to be unbecoming cause this wasn't just any tavern. People, who came here, were searching for someone, who could help in cases beyond hope. Cases like hers.
The tavern was nothing like she had expected. It was absolutely clean and tidy, sparkling even. Not really the dark and mystical den her imagination had painted. Though there was magic in the air.

'You want to order something?' the barkeeper asked her. 'Eh... No... I...'

Tora looked at the little elven girl and sighed. Her only intention asking the girl for her order had been breaking the ice. Well it could have gone better. The case of intimidation was harder than she had thought. Maybe she should just play dumb and let the girl talk to her in her own time. So she asked 'you know t'is a tavern?'

'Uhm yeah... An apple juice, please.' Lunara said and could have slapped herself for she sounded like a kid when she desperately needed to be all grown up. The bartender served the juice and smiled at her knowingly. The elven girl could feel her gaze linger at the mark on face. This gaze told her the barkeeper wouldn't be the one to talk first. Lunara nodded and sighed. 'Can I trust you?'

What a silly question... asking a stranger if you could trust her. But even though the question was intriguing to Tora, it reminded her of an other young girl she had met a century ago. The one that had saved her from herself. Selane... Maybe... Could it be? Might be her daughter... the eyes violet, complexion pale, silver-haired. A moon-shadow-elv. Contracted to a demon... it seemed her old friend's education wasn't thorough enough in these matters. It seemed as if her old promise was due to be fulfilled. But why was the girl alone, where was Selane? Dead? She was a moon-shadow-elv so a century was nothing regarding life-expectancy...if that stupid girl would only start to talk. She looked into the girl's eyes and answered the question 'Perhaps... Try it...'

That was definitely not the kind of answer Lunara had hoped for. But at least the barkeeper didn't lie to her. By now she was sure that this was the woman her mother had sent her to find. So she said 'I need help. My mother told me to ask for Tora. She told me to tell her it was time.'

'why would your mother send you alone?' Tora asked as she had enough of playing dumb. She asked the question though she feared the answer. There was only one possible explanation for her friend sending her daughter alone.

'My mother died...when this mess began... It's my fault... I should have never left the village... I should have never trusted that stranger' Lunara mumbled trying to force back the tears that burned in her eyes. It was bad enough that everyone could see the mark. Showing her grief and desperation even more than she already had would only be bad for her negotiation position. Not that there was much left to safe.

'What is the mess you are talking about?' Tora asked impatiently. She of all, well women, could understand desperation, but why the kept this dumb girl on crying instead of talking. Weak and full of self-pity. Back in the old days she would have beaten the whole truth out of this silly goose. Tora gritted her teeth and counted to ten. She really couldn't afford to fall into old ways. Not if she had a demon-hunter-best-friend and a promise to fulfil. A deep breath and there she was again the always respectable and welcoming barkeeper of this respectable establishment. The rules imposed on her would not tolerate any misconduct, but they were the key to her freedom and safety.

'I lost my powers...'Lunara trailed of as the memories hit her. Her silly fear that kept from accepting her ancestors inheritance. The silly fight with her mother. The handsome stranger who had been so charming, who had told her he had a way to make her powerful without binding herself to the moon-stone. To protect the village without becoming a warden. To be free. The fateful promise. The smoking ruins of the village, when she came back. The curse linked to the mark. Linked to her soul. Her mother dying in her arms. As she couldn't put all of this in words she had touched the barkeeper's hand with hers sending her memories.

'You can call me Tora... I am going to keep my promise and help you to undo the mess your own stupidity created. I cannot bring back the dead nor can I reverse time. But I will do my uttermost to keep you from becoming a demon.' Tora told the girl. She had seen who held the girl's contract. It was the worst possible option. He would never negotiate. Not even for the old times they shared. Her brother was completely incorruptible. A funny thing to say about a demon, but it was true. His deals were fair and square, without any legal issues to use. Tora sighed. He tended to do things in the way of the old Testament. An eye for an eye. She could vividly imagine how funny he thought it to be that a moon-stone-chosen moon-shadow-elv, the very definition of a demon-hunter, would be turned into a demon. He would have had fulfilled his side of the contract... a demon needn't fear demons. But since her brother was involved she couldn't interfere directly. She would have to ask Moira. Moira hated elves, especially moon-shadow-elves, since they tended to confuse all immortals including Sidhe and dragons with demons and hunted them down. It would be hard work to convince her. But her promise, her contract had to be fulfilled.

1