8 An other deal to strike – Lunara, Moira & Elric
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'Well I haven't exactly planned on commissioning a weapon of any kind, much less a magic one... When I fled Umbarat I didn't have had the time to take anything with me, especially not money... my people were never fond of it... I mean I can't exactly fork out tons of gold... With my soul already bound...' Lunara told Elric in a low voice, feeling dirty and useless. Like a beggar trying to rob the weapon-smith, even if it hasn't been her idea to come here.

She shot Moira a part anxious part sour look, but the mercenary only smiled at her and said 'Never mind a single elf, not even a whole kingdom of such would ever be able to cover either of our fees. I've been offered duchies for a dagger in the past, same goes for Elric. You've got to know I am the smith who created Excalibur...'

'And that's the reason why she is not exactly allowed to forge weapons any more... If not commissioned by the Grey Court or at least approved by Manannan MacLir. She is just too good at doing what she does. Well these rules had to be enforced by Geas... and that's the reason why she took an apprentice nearly 50 years ago...me...' Elric joined in whilst Lunara looked at the two of them flabbergasted.

Geas were nothing to joke or talk about since they could be used to kill the person they were placed on, especially if there was more than one. There had been for example one hero, who was forbidden to eat dog flesh, alone easy to avoid, but combined with the fact his other Geas to never decline an invitation... his enemy killed him with an invitation... Lunara didn't know why they had even told her about it, especially since she was turning into a demon.

'Ah I see you know about the importance of Geas... Well let's just say I was able to set it completely off. And since I have other Geas the Lords of Sidhe didn't object to lift it, since I already rendered it useless. I really don't know why he even mentioned it... I guess he is just proud to be my apprentice. All the same... As I already said we are not taking your money... I don't intend to charge you anything, in fact I am only going to assist Elric, since I have to keep a certain distance... on the surface at least.... as for what Elric is going to charge you... It is not for me to decide.' Moira explained, smiled at both of them before changing into her dragonform and went into Elric's living area, leaving her lover and employer behind.

'Is she always like this?' Lunara asked shaking her head.

'Yes, usually worse, actually.' Elric laughed silently. 'But compared to her kin's antics, both dragon and Sidhe she is easy to be around, quite layed back, if you ask me... But let's head back to the topic of our conversation. What are you willing to offer? Your soul is bound and you owe an eternal favour, am I right?' Elric asked his dragon-eyes fixed on Lunara's face who avoided his gaze. Thinking about herself offering money now seemed out of place and ridiculous.

She sighed, she herself was a whole bunch of problems and had very little left of any worth.

'I don't know what I could possibly offer any of you. The whole affair is much more than I could ever hope to cope with. Please tell me what you want... before you ask, I know this question is perilous to ask...'

'Glad you are aware. Your despair and fatalism make you do rash decisions.' the smiths chided. 'I am not going to take advantage of you, but I guess your next station is the Sidhe? Probably Manannan's Court? - He will definitely take advantage of you... he even cursed his own family for not fulfilling his orders... so take care in the future you have to know your bottom-line...' Elric paused and looked into the young elven girl's assuring she got his point. He still painfully remembered his own share of deals. Being born a dwarf becoming a dragon had never been high on his list. In his trust and naivety he had been sold by his king. He would have killed himself – if not for Moira, his former master... But that was a story for an other day.

'I am not going to rob you, girl. You will have to deal with a minor pest problem. There is a camp of orcs living in our crystal cave, cutting our supply line of rune crystals. It is my job to shoo them away, but if I am to forge for you, I don't have the time to deal with them... Especially if I am to...' Elric trailed of looking seemingly into empty space before he cleared his throat and continued 'well that's my price.'

Again Lunara felt flabbergasted an orc nest.... and he called it a minor pest problem. She gulped as it dawned on her that she was to deal with it alone.

'I don't have a weapon.' she stated wide-eyed.

'If you don't screw up you won't need one. There is a crystal in the middle of the cave. Normally, if charged it keeps pests like orcs and such, even some minor demon, at bay, but some dumbass of teenage-dwarf forgot his charging duty... All you have to do is sneak into their camp and recharge it... I won't say it is a safe task, but I think it's a good one for you to improve yourself...' he said smiling at her in a somehow friendly manner before he looked in her eyes and added seriously 'and also if you screw this one up there is no point in helping you, as becoming a demon would actually improve you in that case.'

Lunara gulped. In front of her was a smiling dragon offering his invaluable service. In exchange he wanted to know whether she was worth the effort. Moira and Elric. They were far more than met the eye. Especially Moira. At this point Lunara asked herself if the remedy might even be worse than the problem, but that was futile since she long since had crossed the point of no return.

She straitened her back and nodded. 'Okay. Show me what I've got to do.'

'That's the spirit.' Elric smiled his best dragon-smile and lead the way.

0