Twelve: Questions
19 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Questions

   The day was still young when Katrina sat along the hood of a car with Hayden right by her side. She wasn't just confused; Katrina was bewildered. Questions swam in her head, from who this man next to her was to why she, of all people in the world, had to be this sort of monster. There were no logical answers that she could come up with. This wasn't a college class, there wasn't a textbook page that she could highlight determining the answer. This was real life, and it seemed like there were no answers to this hideous game. 

   "So, you're name is Hayden. Right?" Katrina nearly slapped herself for the stupid question. It wasn't like Alfie hadn't told her that only five seconds ago.

   "That it is. And you are Katrina. So, tell me any questions on the top of your head right now." 

   "There are a lot of those." Katrina's voice was slightly hoarse, only now she seemed to notice it. Perhaps it was all the screaming from the night before. She couldn't dare look Hayden back in the eyes, what happened last night was beyond humiliating. 

   "Well, I figure. Learning about this at your age is probably the most confusing thing to happen in your life so far."

   "You'd be surprised." Katrina tried to whisper it to herself, but the way her voice cracked made Hayden's eyebrows raise. She mentally groaned. "So, let me start off with the question that is haunting me the most right now. Who are you, and what is this thing? This weird connection or whatever. Alfie explained it to me a little bit, but I can't deny this bloody pull towards you."

   "You're pretty straightforward." Katrina raised an eyebrow as she bit her lower lip. She always was a very to the point person; she never denied that. Above all, she just wanted to know what the hell was wrong with her. 

   "What did my little brother tell you?" Katrina looked towards the broading figure that stood right next to her. She would have felt intimdated, but the beast that whelled within her did nothing but remain eerily quiet. So, she just shrugged.

   "Well, to put it simply, our DNA is almost like a puzzle piece. Some people's DNA are better fitted for anothers. Sometimes, people never find that person, so they move on. They eventually find someone else. However, in the cases where the DNA fits, it is almost like destiny." Katrina scoffed, if there is one thing she didn't believe in, it was destiny. 

   "You know waht destiny is? A myth."

   "So you're a realist. Let me ask you, do you believe in a god?" Katrina rolled her eyes, of course she believed in a god. She turned around to look right at him and pulled her arm up to show her sleeve of tattoos. Right next to the name Jaxon was a massive cross. She could see Hayden clench his jaw as he read the name; he looked at her as if to explain.

   "Jaxon was my brother." Hayden visablly relaxed, but Katrina couldn't shake the bitter feeling in her mouth as the name rolled off her tongue. It visablly hurt her. She let out a shudder as the wind whipped whisps of Katrina's hair around. The sun that shone on her skin didn't reflect the dismay that whelled within her heart. 

   "Sorry." That was the only word Hayden could say to Katrina. She looked at him and shook her head. She figured it was not worth a fight. She let out a low breath before she waved her forward, dismissing the idea.

   "You're fine, but yes, Alfie explained it to me. So what you're saying is your DNA is like a puzzle piece to my DNA. That only applies for us werewolves?"

   "Lycans." Hayden corrected. The clench of his fists told her that the word werewolves certainly was not one that the wanted to be in her dictonairy. She looked towards her feet.

   "Answer my question, please."

   "Yes, that only applies to us Lycans. But there is one possible situation where a human might be involved." Katrina's ears perked up as her eyes shot forward. Her eyes connected with Hayden's and a spark went through her stomach. She couldn't deny his pink, kissable lips. She forced herself to stop those thoguths. 

   "What is it?" Her voice was eager, intrigue present in those three simply words.

   "There is a small chance that a lycan's DNA can be matched with a human." Katrina let out an audible gasp; this was blasphamy. Imagine being a normal human being and being forced to deal with monsters like lycans. 

   "It is not common, there are only two reported cases of that happening. So, it isn't common."

   "One more question." Katrina stretched her arms up in the air as she allowed hersself to bathe in the sunlight. She could feel eyes gazing at the two of them. "Is it possible for a lycan to, you know, transform a human."

   "I rather not answer that." Hayden whispered. Katrina was left confused; there was an obvious pain that echoed throughout his body. Katrina gulped before she dragged her eyes to look absolutely anywhere besides Hayden. 

   "I want to go home." 

   "Wait, what?" 

   Katrina turned towards Hayden and crossed her arms.

   "I did not stutter. Take me home, now." 

   The tone in her voice could make any animal freeze twenty yards away. The pain in Katrina's heart continued to echo throughout her body. She just wanted to go home and cuddle up in her reading chair and snuggle with Whimsey.

   "Are you sure? We can go ---"

   "I said take me home, now." The growl echoed throughout the plateau and everyone went over to look at Katrina. Her eyes were starting to glow a deep gold and little canines started to peak through. The message was clear, and no one was going to deny her.

---

   Katrina had demanded that Alfie drove her home; he was the only one she sort of felt comfortable with. As they weaved in and out of the forest, the conversation they had was nothing but non-existant. Katrina had attempted to do anything to calm down, and after multiple tries, the gnawing feeling in her stomach had finally stopped.

   She had peaked at her phone to multiple missed calls from both of her parents. They wanted to see if she was alright, of course. Katrina yearned to call them but not while another being was with her. It was too private.

   "What are you thinking about?" The sudden conversation surprised Katrina. She looked towards Alfie as he had his eyes fixtuated on the road. Katrina looked from him to her phone and then to the window. 

   "It's nothing." She whispered. She noticed Alfie only nodded his head as he did not persue the matter. Katrina was thankful that he remained modest; sometimes it was better to say nothing. 

   Katrina and Alfie both jumped when Katrina's phone errupted with a caller ID. Her heart sped throughout her chest it was none other than Henry, her supposed boy friend. Katrina grinded her teeth together as the thought of him made bile climb up her throat. She nearly gagged as she slammed the deny button on her phone. The thought of him was nasuating. 

   "Fucking prick." Katrina spat out as she went back to looking out the window. She could feel Alfie cast his eyes towards her in curisoirty, but she only let out a low growl which told him more than enough. Katrina did not like having this animal presence within her; in fact, it quite freaked her out. But, she knew that it would be incredibly hard to deny her own DNA. 

   It was only when the phone rang again when Katrina clenched her hands around the seat cushion and pressed accept. She put the phone on speaker so that Alfie could hear as well.

   "Hey, babe. Are you there? I went by your place this morning and no one was home." Katrina's heart dropped. What was he doing there? She never invited him, and there was certainly no reason for him to be coming by. She had told everyone she knew that there was an emergency and that she needed to be left alone for the next few days. Was Henry that ignorant to ignore her demands?

   "I told you that I needed to be left alone, Henry. Why didn't you listen to me?" Katrina's voice ached as her grip on the seat just about dimished. Her hands covered herself as the strong facade she wore seemed to slip away.

   "I thought something was wrong. I just wanted to check on you, don't be mad at me for caring." He was lying, Katrina knew he was lying. The waves in his voice haunted her; she wasn't an oblivious little child. 

   "Listen to me, Henry." Katrina took a ragged breath as she looked at Alfie for support. He cast a hand to the side as she clung onto it."When I ask to be alone, then respect my wishes. Okay?"

   "But, I was only worried ab---"

   "Henry, just fucking listen to me!" Katrina snapped into the phone as her patience started to wear thin. "Just leave me alone for the moment, okay? I'm finished with this conversation." 

   "Wait, Katrina. Let's just ---" Katrina hung up the phone, and she started to allow tears to fall from her eyes. Her heart pounded against her ribcage as pain knawed at her chest. The squeeze of Alfie's hand helped comfort her to a degree. But, the beast within yearned for something more. She knew it wanted Hayden, but Katrina would never admit it and give into this insanity. 

   Katrina's phone continued to ring over and over again. She saw that Henry texted her second after second; he demanded that they would talk. Katrina eventually blocked Henry's number and turned the radio up. She closed her eyes and let the music drown out her senses. Alfie and Katrina allowed the music to fill the car. She closed her eyes let go of any thoughts that haunted her at that moment. 

   The car ride had no words left to be spoken; no one had anything to say. Katrina just wanted to curl up in a bundle of blankets and wish she never existed. But, she knew life wasn't that easy. When was it ever?

   Katrina soon started to fall in and out of consiousness. Her body started to allow itself to relax for the first time in weeks. Despite it being with a complete stranger, Katrina was finally able to give up any tension in her body. She laid along the seatbelt and let the bumps of the road guide her mind through the journey back home. But, one question soon came to mind. 

   "How do you know where my house is?" Katrina said hoarsly. She was still tring to calm herself down. She could see Archie look into her eyes befor pointing at the GPS on the car screen.

   "That doesn't necessarily answer my question."

   "Oh, yeah." Katrina heard Archie mutter to himself. He nervously waved a hand to dismiss it, but Katrina was not easy to get to back down. She narrowed her eyes at him; she may have been beyond exhausted, but only god knew how stubborn she could be.

   "Carson gave it to me." Something soon clicked in Katrina's head. Archie was talking about Carson; the Carson Tsonga. Her eyes widened for a second before the gears in her mind started to spin in overdrive. Pieces started to connect that she hadn't even considered before hand. Katrina pondered if this was planned. If so, how long had they been watching her? Inspecting her every single move? 

   "How long have you been watching me?" Katrina whispered before turning to look out of the window. Betrayl was etched on her face as she let out a shaky breath 

   "Katrina, I'm so---"

   "Answer the question!" Katrina shouted as her eyes flashed gold. She bared her teeth at Archie before snapping her head away. The blood that rushed through her veins made her forhead start to ache. 

   "Ever since Carson found you." That was enough for Katrina to remain quiet. The rage that boiled in her viens overflowed as she huffed to herself. She crushed the arm rest she laid her forearm on as it crumbled to pieces. She could hear Archie curse to himself. 

   Soon enough, the familiar turn to Katrina's house appeared. She let out a thankful huff as they make a sharp turn. As her eyes trailed down the familiar trees, she yearned to see Whimsey and drink a piping cup of tea.

    But, what she didn't expect to see was a very familiar car in her yard. Her eyes widened as recognition kicked in. The fury in her blood turned ice cold as she grinded her teeth together.

   Sitting on her door steps remained the one and only Henry Wagner.

End of Questions

2