Chapter 11
19 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Friend or Foe?

[Treyu] My name is Treyu, I’ve lived in the forest for about 2 years now, isn’t that cool? Also what are you guys doing here? And why are you chasing me? I’m a child you know.

After hearing his response Daro mustn’t have thought of what to say next or expect such a fluent yet slightly bitter sentence to come from a child. 

The voice was a child’s but it was like talking to an adult. Then Kara realized that it wasn’t the hair giving her a bad feeling, but what it was attached to. After pondering what to say she decided to be friendly, as forceful approach usually causes forceful response.

[Kara] We’re sorry for chasing you Treyu it’s just you know, you’re a child and when you started to run off-

“ Why did you run in the first place? Actually why were you in the bush in the first place? ”

Cutting off her words was Grant, voicing displeasure at Treyu, which wasnt entirely unfounded as he was hiding.

Treyu tilted his head at Grant.

[Treyu] Isn’t it rude to cut off somebody’s sentence? Moreover I can ask the same for why you guys snuck up on me and were watching me cant I? Is it not okay for me to revisit an old home?

Grant recoiled at the eloquent response which coming from a child.

[Lia] An old home.. you mean the ruined village? How have you survived out here??

Picking up on the last sentence and as he said he’s lived here for 2 years, Lia spoke up in confusion. Hoping to be able to make sense of the situation.

Goblins are known to be the weakest of the monsters but people and even young adventurers can get caught off guard by how many there can be at once.

[Treyu] Hunting. I’ve answered at least two questions now so why can’t you people answer any of mine?

Both Lia and Kara were still amidst confusion between the dialogue and situation, the whole thing.

Losing his confusion and gaining confidence from getting angry at the tone of voice the boy was using.

[Daro] Listen brat I don’t like the way you’re talking to us. We’re adventurers, we hunt and kill monsters speaking of which, are you a monster?  

Grant, Lia, and Kara all know how Daro would always keep his anger in check even in the most outrageous circumstances. But this time, not even verbal abuse, only his remarks and the way Treyu spoke was like he was looking down on him and he hated that.

After they realized what he meant then they took turns yelling at him.

[Treyu] I’m not a monster so you can calm down, but I will defend myself. 

He spoke to Daro in a matter of fact tone.

It’s kinda tiring talking to these people but I did get a piece of information even if it was only a little, Treyu thought.

Out of the blue something that he hadn’t expected, even though he though if all the possibilities, that only pertained to if I were to fight. Treyu was just gonna go with the flow, he thought reading the conversation would be simpler.

[Kara] Treyu, why don’t you come with us? Or do you like living out in the forest?

Everybody let an unintentional “huh?” in the moment of confusion. The party voiced their bewilderment at Kara and her proposal.

——————-


Why would she ask that? What’s the benefit of bringing me in? Is she gonna lock me up somewhere or will I be killed? 

While starting in confusion at the blonde archer, she was actually beautiful, emerald green eyes with an enigmatic smile.

I couldn’t think of a reason to ask me to go along unless it was a trick.

[Kara] I’m sorry I didn’t say earlier but my

name is Kara. How about this, what if we stayed for a few days and changed your mind?

At least I have a name to that face now. But even with that I was thrown into more confusion I squinted hard at the party trying to find anything. 

The party was in chaos as well asking what Kara is saying. It’s definetly certain this was just her idea, but why? She doesn’t know me, or my situation. I could be lying about all this.

[Treyu] What are you expecting from doing this?

Finally voicing one of the thoughts in my mind it made the whole area silent.

Kara looked uneasily at me as if wavering. I gestured with a confused “What is it” .

[Kara] Around two years ago when I visited my home village, my mom found a girl and brought her in. Badly wounded and burned barely clinging life, the only words she spoke were “Treyu, Lylah” as if looking for somebody. Does that mean anything to you?

The only thing that came to mind was Lina... and from how Kara is describing it.

[Treyu] Did Lina die? 

No answer was given but the downcast look in her eyes said so. So she wants to help me because she and her mom couldn’t save Lina? 

Well I’m safe in the forest but if I die then I die. Doesn’t matter where, when or how, death is death.

[Treyu] If I come with you can you buy me clothes?

———————-

Treyu walked behind the group back the way they came. If something happens and he needs to run away then he knows he can do so, he already proved it when they were chasing him.

Every now and then Lia, Grant, Daro and even Kara looked back at me at random intervals. 

Treyu left everything but the rusted knife as an emergency. The party didn’t seem to mind as they were talking about Treyu amung themselves.

[Lia] How are we gonna afford to take care of a kid when we already cut it close enough?

[Grant] I mean yeah, I’ve been thinking of that too.

Daro voiced a quiet “ agreed “.

It’s reasonable, they still had their whole life in front of them, why would they want to help a random kid.

Then what Kara said bewildered them even more.

[Kara] Can you not see that this child is clearly special? If you don’t want to help then fine I won’t ask for it. 

Sure the kid seemed smart and capable but if he managed this far he could managed further, they thought.

As they made their way out of the forest they made their way to the wagons. There were some casualties and that made them enough space to ride back on wagon now that they had Treyu with them.

While reaching the wagon other adventurers noticed Treyu. As he was a white haired boy covered with crude furs.

They asked a lot of questions, mostly the same but in different ways like “ where did that kid come from” or “where did you find that kid” .

After explaining that they found him hiding nearby, the new party slept in the wagon, when sunrise came the wagon and was off.

———————

The wagon has been treading since morning, it’s around noon now and Lia was asking a lot about Treyu.

[Lia] So Treyu, why did you stay in the forest instead of trying to find a town?

I’ve thought about it before, but I feel like it’s simple.

[Treyu] Well even if I were to try to find a village, I only know where my old one was. There’s also a chance of something unexpected to happen. Even now I cant rule out something happening and me needing to run away.

Lia shrank back whispering “ isn’t that a little much ” to herself. Kara was also asking about me but less about how I’m alive and more of me. Of course I have been as vague as possible.

Like when I told her that I’m nine and then she asked if I awakened my ability yet.

I thought I was the only special one but I guess early awakenings happen at times.

I didn’t say that I did or the Deadly Sin I have and that made me sad because I wanted to brag about it to somebody other than myself.

I wonder how this is gonna go, I thought to myself glancing around the wagon. Whatever way I’ll enjoy myself.

1