Chapter 5 – Life in Angeramus
208 6 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Arthur settled in Angeramus, receiving a temporary room at the Mage Guild. 

The guild had plenty of rooms for visiting and permanent mages, as mages had a high standing and were treated well here, and did not need to stay in a common inn. 

Of course, it was only because this was Angeramus. If a travelling mage stayed in other smaller towns on adventures, they would no doubt be forced to stay in inns together with their fellow adventurers. 

Over the following two months, Arthur learned fire from Master Gerrard. 

He picked the element up very fast, and was an adept conjurer of fire, like with his other elements. 

While training, he was given certain tasks, which made him level up to Level 7!

However, like the other elements, he couldn't progress past level 1 in fire!

He could instantly cast simple spells like fireball, create a fire with the ignition spell or make a instant fire wall. But he could not progress further with more advanced spells like summoning a fire elemental, conjure hotter fires of other colors or learn other specialized aspects of fire like generating lightning. 

"I've taught you all I can about the basics of fire. Although I can teach you more advanced fire spells, you seem to be unable to progress further" Master Gerrard said one day, seated on a log next to Arthur after training. 

Arthur sighed as well, knowing he had hit the same wall he hit in the other elements. 

"But not to worry. You are a valuable part of our guild and should still stay with us. However, you should continued to research for the magic that is most suitable for you. Your mana storage is so great, I am sure you are destined for great things" Master Gerrard smiled. 

Arthur smiled back. All his mentors have been gracious and good to him. And he felt bad, unable to live up to their expectations. 

"Master. I have met Asmara, the Ice Queen of the Fellowship of the Fearless. You give me the same feeling as her" Arthur suddenly said

"Oh! So you've met her. Yes, she is very talented and is easily my equal" Master Gerrard said

Arthur was shocked by his statement. 

"You see, she is a Sacrificer like me" Gerrard said

"Sacrificer?" Arthur asked

"I'm sure you've noticed my left arm. It is not because I lost it in battle or accident. I sacrificed my left arm for this power" he said as a fire vermillion bird suddenly appeared and landed on his left shoulder, as if balancing out his missing left arm. 

"When a mage has reached the limits of his or her talents, you can sacrifice a part of your body for more power and form a pact with an Avatar of that power" Gerrard said

"An Avatar?" Arthur repeated in shock. 

"This is my avatar, the Vermillion bird. As I created my avatar, my strength as a fire mage grew exponentially. I am now a SS Ranked mage if you use the Adventurer guild rating system" Master Gerrard said

"Then... then why aren't all mages sacrificing parts of themselves for more power?" Arthur asked

"Because the magic has to choose you. And when it does, you have only once chance. If you reject it, you will never get another. Did you think I wanted to sacrifice my arm? I would have chosen maybe an ear or something I rely less on" Master Gerrard explained. 

"So.. Asmara's eye..." Arthur realized

"Yes. Asmara sacrificed her eye to gain the powers of the frost. She was already an A ranked master of Ice, as I was a master of Fire. But the Avatar propelled us to the top of our elemental magics" Master Gerrard said. 

"Are... are you the only one.. I mean with an Avatar of fire?" Arthur asked

"No.... all magics are not monopolized. There are other fire avatars out there with powerful fire users. I've just never met any, although I've heard of one in the south" Master Gerrard said

"How... how do you make an avatar?" Arthur asked

Master Gerrard sighed

"I am not going to tell you not to create one. I myself benefitted greatly from it. But you must not regret your decision. To create an avatar, you need to reach out to the magic. If you are worthy, it will reach back to you. 

Not everyone will receive this calling. That is why I said you must be chosen" Master Gerrard said

Arthur looked at the vermillion bird on his shoulder again, and remembered the ice sprite flying around Asmara.

"That must be her Avatar" Arthur realized

With that final lesson, the apprenticeship with Master Gerrard ended.

He could not bring Arthur further with fire magic, but Arthur continued staying in the Mage Guild, while studying in the library there and also taking missions at the Adventurer Guild

He was a D rank Adventurer, so he took on missions to gain more experience and at least level up his stats. 

He was reasonably popular in the guild as he could cast all 4 elements, although at a lower level. But he could cast them endlessly. 

So he was useful in goblin exterminations or similar missions as he could cast wind blades or fireballs like a machine gun. 

As the took on missions, he got to know a priest named Stephanie, and to their surprise, he managed to learn white magic from her too!

White magic, the ability to heal and purify evil, was normally a magic for only the priests. 

However, to their surprise, Arthur learned the basics of level 1 too, enabling him to cast minor healing spells, purifying water and food as well as cast a holy light which chases away weaker evil creatures. 

This made Arthur's stock rise further.

He continued mixing around, never joining a permanent group, but joining other groups whom he's never met.

He went for a mission with a dark elf named Nyama who was an assassin and thief. 

From him, he learned shadow magic, which was a racial magic only usable by dark elves!

With shadow magic, he gained the ability to hide in shadows, how to do the shadow walk and to cast a globe of darkness. 

This gave Arthur the idea of learning other racial magics that were supposedly exclusive to certain races!

9