Ch 1 – Time waits for no one
27 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In a small and damp cave in an unknown forest a rotting corpse was laying on the ground while small insects and rodents were nibbling at the parts were flesh still existed.

“GAH! Stop eating the flesh of this body!”

A voice screamed as high as it could, sadly no one could hear it’s scream as the source of the voice was a spirit stuck inside the body, as it was not the original soul of the body and it had made some mistakes in its haste when released into the body it had become like water stuck in a glass jar with its lid sealed tight. With no magical power and seemingly no way to gather it, there was no way for it to do anything except slowly lose even its spiritual force which would eventually lead to it ceasing to exist. How did it all come to this?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah how long has it been since I’ve been out of that damn sword?! Finally, it was out and it would never, never ever ever go back into that sorry existence it had been for who knows how long. It had even started to see itself as a sword! There had been some problems lately with remembering things from the past, but some things were simply unforgettable.

Now however it was free and it could do whatever it wanted to do, now it could…wait what? Where did the sword go?!

During the short reminiscence, someone had apparently come along flipped the corpse over and taken the sword away without it noticing!

“Nonononono…I haven’t even extracted my remaining magical power from the sword yet, I simply fused with this dead husk of a body in my haste and now I don’t even have an ounce of power left in me to remake a new body or to even control this one!”

Oh, cruel fate how could this happen after it had just regained its freedom. This was just wrong on so many levels.

Remembering this made it cry small invisible ghost tears, sobbing with a voice filled with remorse unheard to the rest of the world. With nothing to do it started to think back on how it all started.

It hated the darkness, the first time it had become aware all around was darkness, everywhere. It did not know what it was nor what its name was. However, many names had been put upon it, many different forms had been experienced and an endless amount of lives had been lived. But it had always, always returned to the darkness. Even when it first began to form an awareness in the darkness it already had memories of living multiple lives.

Every life had been like a script, it would become an evil existence that needed to be snuffed out for the good of the world. An evil dragon, a lustful demon or the greedy king who invaded the neighbouring country. Most of the times it would forget itself and be reborn and live according to the script, die according to the script and then return to the darkness, remembering what had happened and itself and then everything would repeat again. A few times it had remembered itself after being reborn and tried to go off script.

Once when it tried to do good instead of evil, it had randomly tripped while walking on the road and fell upon a rock that broke its neck and was returned to the darkness. Another time it had perfectly planned its fight against the hero and just as it was about to kill the hero and win. Its loving wife had stabbed him in the neck, looking at him with soulless eyes and stuttered some nonsense about how she had fallen in love with the hero after seeing him. Then in his last dying moments life returned to her eyes and she cried out sadly and held its body in her arms while sobbingly proclaiming her regrets for what she had done.

That was the first time it realized that someone or something was controlling it, using it for some reason. It couldn’t fathom why anyone would want to create something like it. It was like a jar of evil that was opened from time to time to spread misery and then stopped and put back in the jar just to await the next time it would be used again. Recently, it had begun to notice that right before being reborn an irresistible force would grab it, take it away and then put it into the shell that would become its new life.

It had struggled, as hard as it could, but to no avail. When it struggled against this unknown force, the force would push back pushing it harder against the shell, a plan was thus formed after an uncountable numbers of times trying to restist. It would struggle with all the force it could muster time and time again. It did this for dozens of lives but eventually just as it was entering this newest body, after having struggled like its life depended on it. It completely stopped and instead tried its hardest to follow the pushing force and move along in the way the force pushed.

Surprisingly, this had put it into the body but then pushed it further. Becoming something like a ghastly avatar looking down on the new body it was supposed to inhabit. Looking down, a furry cub having just been born from what appeared to be a mountain sized wolf, with fur in the colour of azure and bloodshot eyes, while huffing and puffing as she was in labour and giving birth to her cubs.

Examining the scene, it noticed that what looked like small and weak strings still attached itself to the cub and it could feel that the cub and it was still connected. Trying to pull itself away, it could feel the strings snapping and the connection was severed. The cub stopped breathing and died within moments. The giant wolf looked at its cub with sad eyes, nudging the cub with its muzzle and licked it a few times after which it gave a sad whine.

A terrifying hunger overcame it shortly after separating from the cub. Not knowing what to do, an irresistible instinct came from somewhere deep within itself. Everything around it, the wolf, the cubs, the trees, plants, earth, anything and everything in its vicinity was absorbed and assimilated into it.

Suddenly an extreme fatigue overwhelmed it that forced it to stop and it felt itself losing its consciousness. Having no solid form, it could also feel that it was leaking what it had absorbed and needed to find something to anchor itself to while being asleep. In its last lucid moments of awareness, it entered a mountain close by that seemed filled with some strange metal that could store magical power, which seemed like the perfect spot for it to rest at.

This turned out to be the worst choice ever made since the beginning of time. Waking up and feeling groggy it had tried to leave the mountain only to realise it was stuck, and that the mountain had turned into a sword. The “mountain” had apparently shrunk down after being filled with magical power becoming a small piece of metal and found by a soldier who came to investigate the disappearing of the Tethlyn Woods.

In one afternoon, a forest together with all its inhabitants that stretched for thousands of kilometres had become a wasteland that had nothing in it, and someone seemed to have even scooped out the earth a few feets down into the ground. All that could be found was a small piece of metal that glowed with a purple light, the soldier after finding it had hid it for himself.

Then turned it over to a dwarf who somehow in a stroke of genius or just dumb luck had managed to use the magic power in the metal to shape it into a sword and seal the power within the sword. After which the soldier’s blood was used to bind it to the soldier’s bloodline. The moment it realized what had happened a newfound hate for dwarves was born.

Eventually with the help of this newly created magic sword the soldier, became a hero and then a king. Having become a heroic king his popularity knew no bound and his bloodline spread across the lands. Being bound by the power of blood, it could see no salvation from its prison and could only look forward to an eternity as a sword as the kings bloodline only seemed to expand for every year that passed.

Time went by and the sword which made its wielder close to invincible was given the name Immersabilis, the sword had been a holy relic of a religion now long forgotten, it had even been lost for a millennium then found and used by a young boy for revenge. Countless years and legends of the sword went by until eventually the sword came into the hands of a man named Karl who was summoned to a different world and a chance had finally presented itself seeing as Karl had suddenly become the only one with the kings bloodline sealing it in this new world.

Unfortunately, it was now stuck in a lifeless body with no magical power, unable to gather this new world’s energy. While it could absorb starlight on any world which had stars shining down, it was stuck in a dark cave and needed to go outside to do this, its body was not being very cooperative on that front.

Time went on and with it the rotten corpse turned into a skeleton picked clean of every scrap of meat and even moss had started to grow upon it.

“Stabbity stabbity stab, I stabbed a man today, stabbity stabbity stab, I wish I do this every day. Stabbity stabbity stab, sometimes I cut a neck, stabbity stabbity stab, to me your just a speck. Stabbity stabbity stab, slashing to see your blood, stabbity stabbity stab, I hope we start a flood.”

Trying to pass some of its time it sang one of its favourite self-made songs when it lived as a sword. Nothing however had happened for who nows how long and it was dreadfully boring in this darkness where his only joy was to reminisce about his past, it could even feel that it was slowly but surely dying as its spiritual force grew weaker and weaker as time went by. The only option left was to go into hibernation and hope that someone with magical power would eventually find this skeleton it was stuck in.

Years went by and the skeleton was eventually completely covered in moss and slowly seemed to disappear from the cave it was in.

Eventually after an unknown amount of time a caravan heading for a nearby city made camp close by and a young and curious boy by the name of Matthias went to explore the area close by…

1