Ch 7 – First minion?
16 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A while later Ashur found himself sitting at a table within an inn Gwen was staying at.  He informed her, or rather lied, that he had lost his family recently to a bandit attack while they were traveling through the forest a few days back.

Gwen asked a few more questions about him, which Ashur answered half-heartedly. Normally when someone talked about losing their family just a few days back while lacking any kind of emotional words, while also answering any question asked to them without a speck of truth, apparent to even a three-year-old they would appear mighty suspicious.

Thankfully for Ashur, Gwen was mostly preoccupied with watching his lips then listening to what answers Ashur gave.

When the question however came to how old Ashur was, Gwen’s ears perked up like a bloodhound listening for its prey.

Unsure on his own age, he could only guess that his age was close to or that of what Matthias age had been. This would make him nine-years-old, how he wished this was not so.

When he stated his age to be nine, Gwen made a face as if the world itself was ending, like all hope was lost, then a deep flash of guilt crossed it and she became unable to meet Ashur’s eyes.  Then she started denying him saying he must be wrong, he had to be at the very least fourteen or fifteen. Soon close to a marriagable age.

Ashur truly wished it was so but sadly it was just not meant to be. Sadness filled her eyes at his firm denial, stating again that the age of this body truly was that of a nine-year-old.

Gwen firmly gripped his hands proclaiming that age was no obstacle and she would always follow him! Then a strong fanatical light started to shine in her eyes.

Unsure of what she was talking about. He did start to find it a bit funny at how fast her facial expression changed. Perhaps, perhaps she was proclaiming her undying loyalty!? Did this mean that Ashur had just now gained his first minion!

While the two of them were stuck in their own little world, the proprietress had brought out their food after which she had stated, how envious she was of Gwen for being such a young mother and having such a cute child. Gwen cried fountains of blood and it looked like it would take an eternity to calm her down. Of course, Ashur had left this to the one who made her cry in the first place, while he left to try out why his magic had not worked earlier.

Walking away from the inn and outside of the small village, he found a suitable spot a bit into the surrounding forest. While it was starting to become dark outside, it didn’t bother him much.

Drawing a few more spell symbols he could feel that nothing had happened to his rune magic for now, while still slow and impractical for anything related to combat, it worked. He did however notice that the magic was more draining then it should be. Hmm perhaps it had something to do with this world. He was after all still very unfamiliar with it.

Moving on to the most important bit, the magic his body should have the greatest connection with, infernal spells. Constructing the body with a demonical base was largely because of the destruction force that the demonic realms different schools of magics could create. Choosing a creature based from the fiery part of the demonic realm. The infernal school being the most attuned school for him and also his major during his last demonic incarnation. Remastering it would be a piece of cake!

Or it should have been, earlier failing to use even one of the most basic skills proved that something had not gone as it should have. While the ball of fire he was trying to create was like a special ability it was also technically part of the infernal school. The only way to test what was wrong, would be for him to cast spells.

Fireball, fire lash, molten rain, scorching touch…. nothing was working, every low ranked spell he used simply conjured a puff of smoke, while he started to feel drained to the very bone from all the castings.

“While I have no idea, what magic you are trying to cast. You need to learn the basics before you can actually use your astral spirit to shape the world.” Gwen’s voice resounded as she stepped out from the shadow of a tree close by. It would appear she had been observing him for some time.

Ashur wanted to scoff at her but he could find no words to say after failing repeatedly.

“If you come with me to the Academy, you can learn this, and so much more. While we haven’t tested your talent yet, just being able to control and try to shape your mana into a spell shows great skill.” She continued with an enticing voice.

“I heard it costs a lot of money to go to one of the academies. I am homeless and penniless with nothing to me except for my name. How would I even get in.” Feeling dejected at his earlier failure, he couldn’t muster a domineering attitude as he faced Gwen.

“You’ve got nothing to worry about! I am positive with your talent, that you can surely become a scholarship student!” Seeing as Ashur was starting to show interest for the Academy she answered him beaming with joy.

Going back to the inn, Ashur wondered if perhaps it would simply be best to take his life right now and go back to the darkness. Maybe his next attempt would be better than this. Still it had taken him a long, long time to get this chance, it would be a shame to waste it.

1