[Chapter 4] Time for Answers
1k 9 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Thanks to Ayuna and her ghost stories, my caramel frappe now tasted as bitter as badly roasted coffee beans. Unable to take any further sips, I stood up and pushed the half-empty translucent cup into a trashcan next to the door. Happy-time was over, I just wanted to go home, hide underneath a few blankets and pretend that today didn’t happen.

As we left the establishment, the scent of cigarette smoke and french fries became ever present in our nostrils. Did my body suppress my sense of smell because I was happy? What does it even mean to be happy? If I transmigrate into a body that is not mine, are my emotions even my own? Could it be that my happiness is dictated by different means than those dictated in my original body?

Once outside, I couldn’t help but take a last glance at the detective. Who was sitting next to the windows and thus visible from the outside. His eyes were dead-fixated on the laptop in front of him.

I wondered what he was up to, but it didn’t matter, I am sure this is not the last time I’ll run into him.

Ayuna was polite enough to escort me home. How did she know where I lived? I did not know, nor did I ask. Perhaps her glowing red eyes weren’t the only thing creepy about her. ‘Maybe walking with Ellie would’ve been a better idea,’ I jested.

Upon knocking on my house’s wooden door, Ayuna bid farewell and by the time someone unlocked the door she was long gone. I didn’t have time to wonder where she went, because the moment the door opened, I had more concerning problems at hand. Such as, “What the fuck were you doing outside this late!?”

Those were verbatim words uttered by Gabrielle’s mother, or more like, my mother. “Your father is waiting for you in the kitchen,” she continued.

‘Oh crap, I didn’t reincarnate into a dysfunctional family? My parents are actually home!?’

I walked into the kitchen, knowing fully well that I was going to get yelled at. But instead, the man sitting at the kitchen table didn’t seem angry. Rather, his eyes were filled with concern as he toyed around with his cross necklace. ‘Was he extremely religious?’

“Why were you out so late?” He asked. “What if something happened to you?”

‘Yeah…’ Telling him that I didn’t know how to get back home and that I saw a ghost was for sure not going to cut it.

“I stayed after school more than what I had hoped for,” I said, which was not inherently untrue.

“What for?” He asked, without raising his voice.

“I- I joined the volleyball club!”

My dad just played with his well kept brown beard. It seems he believes me.

“Is that so… alright,” He said. “Practice ends at around 6:00pm right? I’ll be there by then, but you can’t just walk home alone, it is dangerous.”

‘Fuck,’ This is what I get for lying. “Ok I won’t do it again, goodnight.”

“G-good night,” He responded, rather surprised that I was polite. He kept staring at me, confused, as I went up the stairs to the second floor.

Once I reached my room, I quickly wrapped myself in blankets and threw myself on the bed. As I laid in the darkness, I resisted the temptation to turn on the lights. ‘Today has been weird.’

Not only had I been transmigrated into another world, not unlike my own, but I also ran into a ghost and I learned that at least a few people in this city were Espers. If abilities were widespread or only held by a small clique, I did not know. From what I have seen, telepathy, teleportation, double-jumping are possible. It yet remains to be seen if combat abilities are a real thing.

Now, was I special as well? Are abilities limited to young people? Or can adults also use abilities? Why was Ayuna stalking me? Who is Goldsmith? and even worse… Did I had homework due tomorrow!?

I was so tired I fell asleep without eating dinner first. My last coherent thoughts were just hoping that everything was just a dream.

36