– 8 –
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Wow,” Xavier said between puffs, waving his hand in her direction. “A real strong showing. I saw everything and you… really got lucky.”

“Luck is just taking advantage of opportunities when they’re presented.” She responded quickly, though his amusement was written all across his face.

“Skill is knowing when and how to create opportunities so they’re always there to take advantage of.” He took another hit before flicking the butt. “Still, you really didn’t use much Illusion magic and still did well. If Gerald had Magic-Sight or any idea of the Race you’d selected, you were done for before the Game began.”

Gerald rubbed his neck and looked away, remembering a lot of the lectures that Xavier had given him.

“You didn’t even think to look for Spies in a Culture Game? I’m gonna save my breath,” he said and turned back to her. “Your beginning was a little slow, but it’s okay. I could see the processing and logic behind what you did. You didn’t really move your Avatar, despite it being your strongest Unit in the Game, and you spent so much on the Assassin when it was unnecessary at the time.”

She felt like every point he had was a helpful critique and things she would do her best to focus on in the future.

“I think you both should spend some time just going through all the Trees. Pick two or three Races and build a strategy for each type of Game. Don’t underestimate Magic,” he said as he glared at both of them.

Gerald stood and ran his hand through his hair, “Thank you X, I really needed that. Do you think…?”

“She’s with your ma and pa, and I’m sure they’ll keep her safe. Who knows? Maybe they’ll make it back here one day,” he said, but it didn’t sound too convincing. Gerald waved and walked off down the street towards the manufacturing district.

The morning sun started peaking over the horizon and Aria let out a yawn, stretching her arms widely. “I’m ready to sleep. Are you coming over?”

He thought about it and then shook his head, “As tired as I am, and as much as I’d love to share your bed, Ranks get posted today, and I need to get my new residence and responsibilities from The Office.”

She shrugged, “Will I see you tonight?”

Her cheeks blushed and he shrugged back, grinning at her as he lit another cigarette. “Quite possibly.”

He passed her the cigarette and watched the sunrise. Her arms wrapped around him from behind and her smokey, warm breath tickled against his neck. Her soft lips lightly pecked at his nape before she let out a content sigh. She spun away, took another drag, and passed the cigarette back.

He pressed it to his lips, watching her cute butt as she walked away.

“Damn, what have I gotten myself into?” he asked as his heart raced.

He walked down the empty streets - most people didn’t come out until the Tournament if they didn’t have to - and whistled a melancholic tune.

The earth shook, nearly knocking him off his feet, and a great boom resonated through the city. Xavier tossed the cigarette away and stuck his hands in his pocket, looking upwards at the top of the dome.

The simulated sky flickered out of existence.

A monstrosity with a maw nearly wide enough to fit around the entirety of the city flickered into view for all to see. Its massive body repeatedly slammed against the reinforced glass, and the very air Xavier breathed turned a dark blue as the mana vein beneath his feet began rapidly powering the protection runes that glimmered everywhere he looked.

The monster writhed and rolled, covering the dome completely in its oily body, countless tentacles and teeth scraping against the frail-looking dome.

From time to time, he would be able to see the expanse past the creature- the chaotic mana surge that tore at the outside world.

His heart raced as he looked on in awe, a hopeless whisper escaping his lips, "Another day in paradise."

The simulated day and night cycle popped back into place as though the cataclysmic monstrosity had never existed, but the image would never fade from his mind.

This marked the fourth time this year.

He returned to his old home and packed his things, not much but some clothes and weapons he'd broken down, and went to The Office. It didn't take long for them to see him and they efficiently processed his new Rank. They assigned him a new residence, further away from the manufacturing district, and gave him a new schedule.

"Runic study, magic manipulation, Game theory, tutoring, and a tournament for mentorship? Geez, I thought I'd have some free time now." He grumbled as he left, luggage over his shoulder in a magically compressed suitcase. "Whatever."

 

0