5 – Ocean Man
668 9 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hero idly swung his sword through the water, sending mist spraying through the air. A playful act, whimsical.

Sunlight filtered through the mist, causing a rainbow to shimmer in front of Hero. A peaceful and happy looking sight.

Hero glanced towards it with dead eyes.

How long had it been now?

He had already lost track. Days? Weeks? Year? Decades?

After realizing that he really was all alone in the world, and that the world consisted of just a single piece of grassy land and a freshwater ocean that he couldn't even drown in if he tried, Hero had pretty much given up on life.

All he did now was just amble about, swinging his sword at anything he could see to try and break the monotony.

And yes, he did try to stab himself. No, it didn't work.

Hero sighed and ran his hand through his black hair before staring off into the horizon.

It was morning. The night had just rolled over from Hero walking around and it would be a while before it returned.

Which meant that he had to deal with the glaring sun for a while.

"Stupid god. Wish that bastard would get down here so I could show him who's the real boss." Hero narrowed his eyes with murderous killing intent.

And then, as if to respond to his threat, space distorted.

The usual sign of monsters appearing.

Hero scoffed and said, "You won't shut me up that easily. What are some stupid bats and slimes going to- Hm?"

It wasn't a bat. And it wasn't a slime either.

A black shadow emerged in the water, rushing towards Hero and sending up a surge of water. A triangular fin, cutting across the surface.

Hero's eyes widened and then a manic grin crossed his face. "A new challenge! COME AT ME, FIEND!" He cackled and then charged forward to meet the new threat.

It pounced, breaking free of the water's surface.

Serrated ivory teeth. A maw the size of Hero's head. Rough, gray skin and beady crimson eyes.

The name of the creature popped into Hero's mind.

[Shark]

A fish-like creature that was infamous for its viciousness and ability to hunt out even a single drop of blood.

Hero's heart pounded and he swung his sword, prepared to fight a prolonged battle where the creature dove into the water and used the battlefield to its advantage.

And then the shark turned into a cloud of smoke, killed in a single blow.

Hero froze, staring in disbelief at the drifting smoke. And then he screamed and punched the water. "God! FVCKING! DAMMIT!"

Why couldn't he at least have a challenge! That god or whatever kept him here and threw in a new monster! Couldn't that person at least have made it more challenging!

Hero sheathed his sword and then narrowed his eyes. "...Fine. If one isn't enough..." He stood up and then ran forward, determined to enter a life or death battle against SOMETHING.

After running around for a while, space distorted again. This time, there were more presences in the water. A dozen smaller creatures- No, fishes.

Hero's eyes widened as information entered his mind again with the new arrivals.

[Pirahna]

A vicious fish that travels in swarms, said to be able to tear all the flesh off a man in seconds.

Hero grinned and drew his sword. "Now that's more like it! COME AT ME!" He roared and prepared to fight.

The water burst as the swarm of Pirahna leapt towards Hero.

Since there were so many of them, he couldn't hit them all. But he was used to sudden attacks from the bats and slimes, so he didn't have to worry about being struck.

Dancing amidst the flying fish, he swung his sword, silver flashing in the sunlight.

Smoke filled the air as Pirahna were killed. Water splashed as a few fell back into the ocean.

And then Hero felt an impact at the back of his neck.

A faint worry. At the same time, a thrill of excitement.

Could this be it? Could the Pirahna prove a threat?!

...The answer to that was no.

Hero could feel it. The Pirahna gnawed on his exposed neck, trying to find purchase with its serrated teeth.

And while he stood there waiting, more Pirahna lunged at him, biting whatever bare flesh they could reach.

But nothing.

All Hero felt was a light brush against his skin. Like feathers were touching him instead of sharp, pointed teeth.

He sighed and then reached out to each Pirahna, crushing them with his bare hands.

And then he was alone again.

"...Maybe the Shark will prove more dangerous?"

A faint hope in his heart. Hero had instantly killed the creature before so he didn't know. But surely something that looked that dangerous would be capable of harming him, right?

With that thought, Hero ran around in circles again.

The sun fell below the horizon, replaced by the moon. And then space distorted, revealing a shadow hidden below the water with a triangular fin poking out. Not only that, but it was faster than before, driven mad by the night aura like all other monsters.

Hero grinned and waited, holding out his left arm, taunting the creature. "Come on, Shark! Show me what you've got!"

It pounced, the Shark's serrated maw snapping towards Hero's offered arm.

Aaaand nothing.

No, that wasn't true. He felt *something* this time. Instead of feeling like feathers, it felt like a gentle massage. Like someone was carefully rubbing his arm to relieve its circulation.

But it definitely wasn't painful like he had hoped.

Hero sighed and then swung his arm, Shark and all, against the water.

A giant splash and a loud *crack*. And then the Shark died, vanishing in a puff of white smoke.

And Hero was alone again.

He ran his hand through his hair and muttered, "What do I have to do? Should I try to piss that guy off? Run around naked? Scream obscenities? Pelvic thrust everything in sight with my other sword? Attack the monsters 'that' way?"

At the end of his rope, Hero's mind started to delve into strange directions.

But, as if sensing that things would go awry if left unchecked, there was a change.

Not in the world, but in Hero.

"Hm?"

He blinked and then placed a hand on his chest.

It was a warmth that wasn't there before. Not only that, but he could sense 'something' in the air now.

[Mana]

And as he got that realization, more information flooded his mind.

Special stances to open channels in his body to draw in mana. Attacks to use those channels to create elements.

[Fire]
[Wind]
[Water]
[Lightning]
[Earth]

And sword slashes that embodied those five foundational elements.

Hero grinned, taking up his sword. "Well... It's something."

That wouldn't solve the problem he had about being unkillable, but-

Wait. Would it?

Hero's eyes widened and he thought about that.

If he trained the new techniques to the limit. If he used this new power before his body adapted to it and turned it against himself... Could he end this nightmare? Escape this never-ending torment of boredom?

It was a chance. Low, but a chance.

Life entered Hero's eyes again and he quickly began to practice, drawing in the mana around him.

9