Spirit of America – Tales of the Clanless
116 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Special thanks to Pariah for writing this story

 

***

--- Philadelphia, United States ---

Date: March 14, 2026

 

The warm sun shines down on a group of travelers. They just arrived on new land, eager to explore this place that promises so much. A tall thin figure takes his first step onto this new place. An elf with a handsome face, blue eyes, and long golden hair that glistened in the sun. He wore a collared, loose-fitting, milky white shirt which slightly parted at the top revealing a part of his chest. A worn-out black belt seemed to be the only thing holding his plain navy blue pants up. And some knee-high laced black boots to complete his wardrobe. He begins to take a look around, taking in everything he could.

A small blue aura darts right beside the elf. A cute little fairy with long silver black braided hair, a yellow one-piece sleeveless attire that ended in some puffed-out shorts. She had a royal blue long-sleeved bolero that wrapped around each thumb with matching thigh-high slipper stockings and a bonnet. “Woah look at this place, Aldon! Everything is so huge!! “The fairy exclaims.

The elf turns to face the fairy and can see the captivating expression on her face along with her other companion, Malena.

Aldon chuckles and says to the fairy, “well in your case everything already is, Sebille.”

She leans forward and sticks her tongue out at him as he shrugs and just chuckles.

“Seriously?! Even in another world, you two can’t stop picking on each other,” Malena says.

“Well... well he started it!” Sebille stated annoyed as she crosses her arms and pouts. “Why aren’t you just scolding him?”

Aldon pokes at the little fairy. “Well maybe if you weren’t so easy to pick on, Sebille.” He says as he continues to poke while she tries to dodge or push his finger away.

“ALRIGHT, ENOUGH!!” Malena shouted as they both suddenly stopped and faced her. They could see the annoyance painted on her face. Her left ear up in the air, twitching just slightly but enough to know not to continue with their shenanigans. Arms crossed and leaning on one hip, she continued, “I swear you two can act like small children at times. I need you two to focus and remember why we’re here.”

Her scary demeanor that comes with being a warrior bunny contrasting with the white t-shirt she had on. A ridiculous one with a smiling flare on the front of it. She wore black jean short shorts and dark flats on her feet. Her hazel brown hair, shorter than what most warrior bunnies would have, just reached her shoulders.

“I know, I haven’t forgotten,” Aldon answers annoyed. “We’re meeting up Nelia and Kryuune who went ahead of us.”

“And to see what more we can learn about this place and these Americans,” Sebille adds.

“Good looks like you two can pay attention,” she says and smirks. “Now let’s get going and see if we can catch up. We’re already attracting a lot of attention as it is,” she points out to the crowd gathering.

The US and its allies decided that eventually the residents from Alnus and allied controlled territory needed to engage with citizens of their respective nations to eventually get these people integrated within their society. They pushed this program to let small groups venture in and explore the nations they would hope to be a part of in the future. There were mixed results at first as rules were pretty loose to give the visitors a sense of freedom to go where they wanted which resulted in too many disputes and conflicts. In response, stricter guidelines had to be put in place and a more thorough screening process.

This group of residents was some of the lucky ones who were allowed to crossover and explore what their choice nations had to offer. They were taught the basics like how to navigate throughout the city, following the signs, how to purchase items with their credit cards, and how to use their cellular devices to contact one another or emergency services.

As they continued Malena was surprised; she had known Aldon for a few years now and seldom had he been so quiet. But she couldn’t blame him for being so shocked. There were architectural spires that seemed to touch the very heavens. And each spire seemed to be covered in glass. A material known to be reserved for nobles and yet they were decorated on every building. If they hadn’t been told beforehand, they would’ve thought this was their capital. She couldn’t find anything made completely out of common material such as wood, clay, or hay. Everything was just so alien to her.

“This place is something, isn’t it? I mean look at everything, I haven’t seen any naturally made building. Everything is just so... I don’t know. I don’t even know what I am looking at,” Sebille comments.

“Heh, I guess everything the knights said weren’t just stories after all,” Aldon adds.“Look at all these shops, and people. I didn’t even know humans came in such... variety.”

“Yeah, and I don’t think we’ve scratched the surface yet either. Might have to keep that in mind or every little thing is going surprise us.”

“Agreed, little friend. Well now that we’re here, we have a plan on where we’re going after we meet up?” Aldon says while looking over to Malena.

Malena was looking at all the metal vehicles passing by. There are so many different kinds of them she thinks to herself. Her ears pointing in all directions, hearing people talk about so many different things, mostly useless banter and occasionally about their group.

Sebille flies in front of her. “Hello?”

“Huh, what?” Malena asks surprised.

“Hehe,” she giggles. “Your mind’s wandering again. We’re almost at the store where Nelia and Kryuune are but are wondering if you have a destination afterward.”

“Ohh yeah. Sorry, there’s just so much to take in. The sights, the sounds, the smells; it’s just all so.. new. Did you know as people saw us, I kept hearing children talk about this tinker bell fairy and referring to you. And these creatures are known as furries liking me. I don’t know the full details but I was lead to believe only humans existed in this world. Has our intel been wrong? I have so many questions.”

Aldon and Sebille looked puzzled too. Not knowing how to respond. “Well that’s what Sarah said and she didn’t seem like someone who would lie. Maybe her knowledge is limi-.” Sebille responds before being interrupted

“Hi, Tinker Bell!!”

Surprised the group turns to where that sound came from. They were so distracted they didn’t realize a group of children had walked up. They had these amazing looks on their faces. Pointing at little Sebille.

“Tinker Bell? Sorry, my name’s...,” she says  while she spins in a little circle around them going up, displacing some type of dust that just sparkled and shouts “Sebille!”

She stops in front of her companions with one leg bent back and arms straight up in the air as the children giggled and looked around in amazement.

Aldon and Malena just stand there smiling. If there was one thing their group had a weakness for, it was children. Their innocent view of the world was something that had to be protected and nurtured they thought. Aldon kneeled in front of a few of them and began doing this little wind spell controlled in his hands while they just pointed and watched in ahh. Malena soon followed as she too kneeled allowing them to touch her ears and answering any question curious children might have. Their parents soon gathered taking pictures and videos while they talked amongst themselves until some approached. Some apologizing for their children coming up and some asking questions about Uros.

It was weird being surrounded like that, usually not ones being the center of attention but it felt nice. The innocence and curiosity of the people from this world were reassuring. It was also so very peaceful, good to know soldiers in Alnus weren’t just full of it.

As they continued to interact, Malena felt another hand begin touching her ear from behind. Thinking it was another child, she let them until she heard purring. “Mmmhmm it is soft.” A voice behind her said.

Recognizing the voice, she turns her head around and sees this orange-haired, brown-striped Neko now pawing at her fluffy tail. She wore a light green spaghetti-strapped tank top with white summer shorts and black sandals. She had twin tails coming down in front while the rest of her hair fell behind her back. Malena stared at her quizzically as the Neko continued to paw at her tail while giving back a cheeky smile.

“Knock it off!” Malena yells while jumping up.

The Neko stands also and giggles as she reassures the frightened children around them. “Everything’s alright kids, she’s just being a little grumpy head, that’s all,” she teases while pointing at her.

The children begin laughing again as they join in on the fun, pointing and teasing Malena “grumpy head, grumpy head!”

Malena looks down, face visibly red. “Nelia... let’s.. just go,” she mutters as she begins to storm off.

“Don’t you wanna go this way?” She smirks as she points towards a siren sitting on a bench deeper into a park.

Malena turns around with her face still facing down now heading towards the siren.

“Okay, bye for now little kiddies,” Nelia says as she smiles at them.

“It’s bye for us too then, we’ve got to go deal with that grumpy head,” Aldon adds.

Sebille giggles as she waves at the kids, “byyeee!!”

A blue-feathered siren sat at a park bench humming a song she’d heard at the store she was at while swaying back and forth. She wore a blue crop top with a loose-fitting pink skirt, complete with a plastic black belt that appeared to be just for looks and a black fashion cap. Taking a sip from her drink and sung “not thinking ‘bout tomorrow, singing swee... ohh hey Malena!”

“I thought you two were at a store, not this.. forest? In the middle of a town?” she asked puzzled and looks around.

“A park, it’s called a park. And well you guys were taking forever so we came to find you. Lucky we found you so fast, huh?” Kryuune responds. “But hey you have to try this, I think it was called a.. sl.. sla...”

“A Slurpee,” Nelia says as she and everyone else comes up. “I would’ve gotten you some but I maxed out my card.”

“And mine,” Kryuune adds while Nelia winks and sticks her tongue out slightly.

Malena sighs, “I thought you two were digging up more useful information about this place, not sightseeing and shopping.”

“And we have been,” Nelia responds

“And all this stuff you bought?” Aldon says as he and Sebille look into the bags set on the benches.

“All completely necessary and valuable,” the Neko responds defensively.

Sebille flies into a bag and comes back up with a feather attached to a bell and other shiny trinkets. “What’s this then?” She asks as she lifts the cat toy.

“A necessity,” she protests. “Right Kryuune?”

“Don’t include me. I already warned you and all that stuff is mostly yours. And besides, I actually took note of things.”

“Ohhh... well what about you three, hmm? I saw you playing with those children when you were supposed to be meeting with us,” Nelia says and smirks.

“We did what we came here to do. There’s only so much you can learn in places like ‘museums’. Thinking maybe it’s mostly propaganda. You have to really dig deep to actually find answers. And what better than the locals?” As everyone nods, Malena continues, “for commoners, they seem to live a luxurious life compared to Falmart’s standards. Any of you notice the clothes they were wearing?”

“Yeah, I can see what you mean, no wear or tear. And they were clean too. Didn’t catch a whiff of any bad stenches coming from them either.” Aldon agrees.

“And they seemed to have a strong sense for family, like Sarah said. I saw fathers there too, some even got a bit defensive when we started showing off our magic. I guess those soldiers mean what they preach.” Sebille adds.

Nelia stands there baffled. “How did you get all that with just one encounter?! Well whatever, I noticed how rich this country is. Rich enough for common folk to own metal vehicles and other luxuries. I saw people wasting money on nonessential items just for entertainment.”

Sebille rings the bell she’s still holding before setting it down as Nelia clears her throat, quickly looking in another direction and mutters, “essential..”

“Well while everyone is sharing, here’s what I got,” Kryuune chimes in. “Whatever we decide on how we engage these Americans, I strongly recommend avoiding outright war with them. I bought a map of this world and I learned how truly massive this nation is. I learned we are nothing more but a second thought, a distraction.”

Malena looks at her puzzled. “What do you mean?” Kryuune hands her the map and begins to unfold it as everyone else gathers behind her. Their eyes widened and jaws drop. They began asking questions in disbelief.

“This can’t be right?”

“Are you sure this is right?”

“This has to be fake!”

“Afraid not, I had a long discussion with many people on this and their stories all lined up for this to be some mere lie.”

“But this nation is basically a continent as well. They must have hundreds of thousands of soldiers but there can’t be that many in...” Malena’s mind trailed off as she thought of what she just said.

Aldon finishes her thought. “And we’ve only seen but a small fraction of it as the rest are stationed all across this nation protecting its borders.”

“Well, you’re half right. Let me explain from the beginning,” Kryuune says as she walks up and points on the map. “Most of America’s allies are here.” She points to the European continent further shocking the group. “And some down over here in Asia.” She says pointing in different parts is Asia.

“But those nations are whole oceans away!! The Empire is basically fighting this entire world!!” Malena shouts surprised.

“Hehe, guess the empire really stepped on the griffon’s tale here huh?” Nelia jokes.

“Indeed,” Kryuune continues. “And everywhere America has an ally, there’s is sure to be some type of American military presence. In short, most of America’s military is stationed outside of her borders.”

As this revelation began setting in, they began thinking maybe they shouldn’t have come here. If they really wanted to, this nation could wipe them out without a second thought. Their people could be in danger as all the worst scenarios began playing in their heads. Malena began to feel so small, like this world, this place, America could swallow them up.

“Maybe, we should get going and warn..” Malena began.

“Hey guys,” Sebille interrupts. “Uhm what happened to the city?

They all turned around and saw what she was talking about. The city was just gone. A long dirt road with bushes and trees was where the park entrance once was. The bench the siren was sitting on had disappeared along with all the bags. They were so invested in their conversation they hadn’t realized the environment around them had changed. They each began checking their phones, only to realize that they had no service either.

“Where do we do now?” Sebille asks.

“I don’t know what happened, but it looks like the path is clear. Let’s see where it leads but be on guard, I don’t want any more surprises coming at us.” Malena orders.

They nod in agreement and get into defensive positions moving slowly up the road. Although they are weaponless, it didn’t mean they were defenseless. It looked like they knew what they were doing. As they continued on the road, it didn’t feel like they were in any danger. Everything was calm; the tree’s shade protecting from the bright flare and a warm breeze. As they ventured on, they noticed a wooden structure out in the distance sitting all alone atop a hill.

“Looks like that’s our destination,” Aldon says.

“Are you sure?” Nelia asks

“Maybe...” he continues.

“How do you know?” Sebille adds.

“Ladies, focus here,” Malena orders.

Aldon turns to face Malena

“You heard what I said. Eyes ahead.”

Aldon grunts and faces forward. They begin to slowly approach this old wooden building with their guards still up. As they got closer, they realized the state of the place. It looked old and worn down. Paint chipping off all over. There appeared to be a brick path just as old that went around in a circle and paths intersecting meeting up in the middle. Two of the paths led down toward each side of the hill. One path leading straight up to the old structure while the last led back to them. The lawn had overgrown a bit with an old rusted pole that stood proud, albeit crooked. On the very top was an all too familiar sight; a tattered old flag, the American flag. Although this place was old, it looked like someone was trying to maintain it.

A sign barely hung from atop the building with writing that was barely visible but read ‘courthouse’. What surprised them about it was that it wasn’t in their language but they could read it perfectly.

Everything about this didn’t feel right but never once did any of their instincts kick in like they were in danger, and it was nerve-racking. As they continued to look on, Sebille poked Malena’s shoulder.

“Hey Mal, there’s someone over there,” Sebille says as points to an old wooden table with two benches on either side and an old man just sitting there.

“Was that there before, how come we didn’t notice it as we walked up?” Kryuune asks puzzlingly.

The old man had an aged and worn-out face. He had long unkempt gray hair with a matching chest-long gray beard. He wore a stern look like he’d seen so much throughout his life. The outfit he was fitted with was a darkened torn old suit. You could tell it was probably vibrant at one point but that wasn’t the case anymore.

“No... no, I... I don’t think so,” Aldon stutters.

Seeing they weren’t going to be able to do anything just standing here. Malena began walking towards the old man while everyone followed. As they approached, Malena felt calm, safe. She didn’t know how to describe it. Thinking he probably brought them here, he’d be the best bet of sending them back. When she arrived a few feet from him she didn’t know what to say. He just kept staring at that courthouse, not even acknowledging they were there. She takes a deep breath and begins.

“You know, you’re old courthouse is kinda run down,” Malena says hoping to get a reaction. But there was just silence as he kept staring at it. She thought he was ignoring them until, finally, he responds in a tired tone.

“Nah, it’ll do for our little town.”

She was happy to just get a response but before she could say anything else, Nelia adds.

“And your flagpole? It’s leaned a little bit and that’s a ragged old flag you got hanging it.”

At that moment, the old man breaks his gaze and stares directly at the group. His stern face made them feel a bit uncomfortable, thinking they might’ve offended him. Before Malena could apologize, the old replies.

“Have a seat.” He says while motioning to the table. Malena was about to protest but decided against it, not wanting to offend him further. She looks back at everyone. “Let’s just go and hear what he wants to say.”

“Sure about this?” Kryuune asks.

“Yeah, none of this feels right at all,” Aldon says with concern.

“I know but he might’ve been the one who brought us here so he might be the only one who can send us back so let’s not offend him further,” says Malena as she looks back at the man and he motions again.

“I think it’s ok,” Sebille chimes in. “He doesn’t feel threatening at all.” She flies up to the bench and sits on the table in front of him, legs crossed. The rest soon followed as Malena and Kryuune sat in the middle with Aldon and Nelia on the ends. Mal tried to lean in and apologize but was stopped as the old man raises his hand. He looks at them individually but not like he was looking at their physical appearances. No, he was looking at something else, something deep inside. He kept looking as he stroked his beard. When he was done, he sat up straight and says,

“Let me tell you'll a story. But first, let me ask, is this the first time you’ve been to our little town?

They looked at him, puzzled. Wasn’t he the one who brought them here? Before anyone could ask. Nelia speaks up.

“But w... yes, yes I believe it is.” She nods.

“I don’t like to brag but...,” the old man says as he slowly raises his left hand to point at the flag and continues, “we’re kinda proud of that ragged old flag.”

As the group turns to face the flag there was a tear on it that began to glimmer and it only got brighter until everyone was enveloped in that light. When it finally faded, the sun had set. It was dark but they could see running water and some mist rising from it. It was then they saw boats crowded with people; they looked like some type of soldiers. On one stood a proud-looking man and with him, the flag with the hole still lightly simmering. But the flag was different. The same basic design was there but the number and arrangement of stars were different. The group still sat there in disbelief at what was happening, still feeling like they weren’t in any danger.

“You see, we got a little hole in that flag there when Washington took it across the Delaware River.”

“Washington? As in George Washington?!” Kryuune exclaimed puzzlingly. Malena elbowed her gently and looked at the rest of her companions. Slightly shaking her head, as if telling them not to interrupt. She felt if this story was this important to tell that they were brought here, then let him tell it. Perhaps they could find the answers they were looking for.

“And it got powder-burned the night Francis Scott Key sat watching it writing say can you see,” the old man continued. The vision changed to a sight that shocked all of them. The flag flew high on top of the White House as it was set ablaze by an invading army. More of the flag began to shimmer at the spots it was being burned. However, the sight quickly shifted to a magnificent song being played about how tall the flag stood despite it all.

It felt a little reassuring that despite its power now, it had small beginnings like many others. But the idea that a nation this powerful was not just attacked, this nation’s capital was burned was unsettling. However, the people still came back stronger and prouder than ever. They didn’t know why, but they felt a small sense of pride from that even though they weren’t a part of it at all.

As the old man proceeded with his tale, the flag continued to change while different parts of it glowed wherever it was damaged. What they witnessed next were massive battles throughout America’s history.

“And it got a bad rip in New Orleans With Packingham and Jackson tuggin' at its seams.” Two generals fought on open plains, one adorned with red coats and the other blue. It was much different from the fighting they seen occurring on Falmart. Musket rounds whizzing past the group of other worlds but they fazed through.

“And it almost fell at the Alamo beside the Texas flag, but she waved on though.”

The battle then seemed to freeze as if painted within the pages of history and moved onto a tense fight between two opposing forces. It was an intense fight, a siege where it looked like the defenders had no chance of winning but defeat never showed on any of their faces as they fought on.

All the sounds of battle suddenly ceased. And the party looked on at open fields. They saw what appeared to be slaves working the fields, and some being whipped.

“This can’t be right, are we still looking at America?” Aldon asks himself.

Malena was about to answer him until she witnessed a slave auction. Something they’ve all seen all over in Falmart, some even being on the receiving end. Before they could ask anything, they witnessed intense fighting. America had split into two while runaway slaves, risking everything, fled to the north for asylum. The sight brought some tears to Nelia’s eyes knowing the feeling all too well.

Before they even had a chance to process their feelings, the scenes changed to death and destruction. The Great Wars. The true horrors of war being displayed in front of them began to shake them to the core. The hail of bullets shredding people apart, poisonous gas suffocating soldiers, artillery bombarding defensive positions, tanks rolling over armies, flying metal beasts darkening the skies, leviathans dominating the seas, and finally the holocaust. The same feeling of fear and insignificance began taking over. Sebille shook uncontrollably as she took cover within Malena’s fingers-crossed hands, herself in disbelief. However, the sight of allied perseverance in beating back the enemy and liberating death camps brought some relief and hope back.

As the old man continued, showing the allied forces fighting back those who would dare stand up to oppress others. Kryuune, though also terrified, did a better job of hiding it. She was more focused on taking in as much information as possible. A repeating pattern she’s seen throughout America’s history was their determination. No matter how bad the situation was or devastating an enemy attack was, they always came back to meet that challenge. She also learned that in a prolonged war, America will outproduce and outlast any adversary, including the Empire. He followed throughout the Cold War era with their struggle against communism, and its devastating effects on social life in America who’s legacy lasts to this very day in the guise of socialism. But the flag still stands despite it.

He stopped speaking for a bit as the images fade until only they and the bench were left. They all look back at the old man. He then continues.

“Now they've about quit waving her back here at home,” he says as he lets out a disappointing sigh and starts again.

“In her own good land here she's been abused. She's been burned, dishonored, denied, and refused,” he spat with frustration. “And the government for which she stands is scandalized throughout the land.”

“And she's getting threadbare and wearing thin,” he says as a small grin begins form on his face. “But she's in good shape for the shape she's in. And though she’s bled again in Philadelphia, it ain’t the end of America. ‘Cause she's been through the fire before and I believe she can take a whole lot more.”

“So, we raise her every morning. We take her down every night. We don't EVER let her touch the ground and we fold her upright.” The group watches on as the images start up again. The courthouse and flag in its prime rising on that pole. Millions of serviceman throughout America’s history stand information as far they can see, saluting the flag as it goes up, its folds catching the first rays of flare.

“On second thought, I do like to brag!” The old man exclaims. The group feels the bench move a little and turn to face the old man who got up from his bench. His hair no longer messy, beard still long but neatly kept. He wore a white button-up shirt with a bright blue coat over it. Red and white striped pants with shiny polished black shoes. He puts on his now white top hat with a blue streak and stars going all around.

“ ‘Cause I'm mighty proud of that ragged old flag.” He states as he walks up to some serviceman with familiar uniforms but the ones wearing them, they could tell were residents from Uros.

Malena had so many questions but before she could answer the flare began to get brighter and brighter until she heard.

“There you all are!!” A stranger shouted with a flashlight in her hand. There was two other person with her.

“Huh, wait what?” Aldon asks as he looks around. Everyone begins looking around and they see that they’re back at the park but night had descended.

“Hello, you all ok? We’ve been trying to contact you all day. We thought something had happened.” The person said.

Malena continued to look with Aldon as Sebille flies out of her hands to look as well. Nelia and Kryuune turn to face the woman. Alexis Galema was the person assigned to this group to assist if they ended up in trouble. Or find them if they somehow went missing.

“Sorry about that,” Kryuune responds. “We just got lost it seems.”

“Then why didn’t you call or answer your phones?” She asks annoyingly.

“They didn’t work,” Nelia defended as her phone lit up showing the missed calls and messages.

“Hehe, oops.” She says while she winks and scratches the back of her head to look cute.

“Well, whatever. I don’t know what happened and I don’t care so I’ll make you all a deal. I won’t tell anyone where you went as long you don’t tell anyone I lost you. I don’t want my superiors thinking I can’t handle the simple task of babysitting Other Worlders.”

Aldon overhears and quickly changed gears. “Maybe throw in a night together and you got a deal.”

Alexis shot him a glare that looked like she was mentally strangling him.

“Or not, it’s fine. The deal’s good as is.”

Malena finishes looking and agrees. “Yes, that’s fine. I think we found what we were looking for here. Thank you for this experience,” she says. “It was a great opportunity and I think I got a better understanding of America. Alright everyone let's get back. I’m tired.”

They began picking up their bags and headed back to their hotel. 

 

 

Written by: Phiriha

1