The End of the Beginning (2)
81 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Airi instructed her servants to carry all the buckets, empty jars, and pans that they had at home. They first headed to the nearest well to get water to put the fire out.

Unfortunately, there were already many people there. Due to it being summer, the well was drier than usual. The situation was hectic with people passing off buckets after buckets of water as the men struggled to fish for water in the nearly-empty well.

“It does not seem like we’ll get our turn soon. Go find another well; I’ll head over to the fire to see if I can help with anything.” Airi said, nodding to her servants.

“Yes, madam,” the servants uttered in compliance before scurrying over to the next closest well.

Just as she arrived at the scene, she was greeted with startled and frantic faces.

“Your Grace, what brings you here?” One man came forward to greet the woman. He bowed his head respectfully. “You musn’t stay. Please, do not come closer; it is far too dangerous!” Though he was much older than the girl, her status was high and her person was considered more precious than gold. He was worried that the delicate woman might get hurt, coming to such a dangerous place with only a maidservant.

Airi shook her head, “I will be fine. Is there anything I can help with?”

The old man continued to refuse her, “Your Grace, please think about your safety!” He begged.

Airi sent a strange glance to the man. Did he think of her as some kind of helpless woman? That was no good. She needed to show her might.

She took out a talisman paper from her bosom. Though she had been married off and no longer practised the family teachings, she still carried some for protection.

With a whisper, she summoned her familiar.

The neighing of a horse could be heard. The sound of hooves followed suit, and in the blink of an eye, a large horse that was as red as blood appeared.

“Kureha, diffuse the fire as much as you can, and search for any survivors within the building,” Airi instructed the horse. She patted its smooth, velvety mane before it dashed away to execute her orders.

The horse was born from the ashes of war, thus it was compatible with fire. The horse could easily weather through the hot flames and bring the trapped people to safety.

The man’s eyes were wide and mouth agape. The horse appeared from out of nowhere!

“Do not worry. I am, though retired, still an onmyouji.” And she was one who was strong enough to allow her supernatural familiar to materialise itself in a physical form.

“Y-yes, as you say so, Your Grace,” the man stuttered. He moved out of the way, avoiding the horse.

Within a moment, the fire no longer spread, looking as if it was focused on the initial burning building.

A loud, almost surreal sound of a horse neighing could be heard from within the flames. The warsteed familiar Kureha came back, two people unconscious on his back.

‘I could only sense the presence of these two. If there was still anyone inside, they are probably dead by now,’ the horse says through their bond.

“Good work, Kureha.” Airi turned towards the frazzled old man. “Please identify the two survivors. I’m afraid that... the rest of the inhabitants of that house is... gone.”

The old man sighed, “Let their souls rest in peace.” He placed his hands together in a prayer, bowing towards the still-burning building.

“Water! Water has come!” Half a beat later, one of Airi’s servants who came to help rushed to the fire along with a crowd of people. They each carried a container filled with water.

The people splashed water to the fire in turns. Within an hour, the fire had been reduced to a non-threatening level.

Airi heaved a breath of relief. Her house had been quite close to the fire so she was happy that it was easily controlled.

Now that things were fine, she made her way home with relieved and light steps.

0