The End of the Beginning (5)
62 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Maihime-sama, the bath is ready.”

The maidservants respectfully retreated to the sides as a group of people entered the room.

The leader of the people was garbed in bright red ceremonial clothing, bowing respectfully to greet the girl.

The girl did not respond.

She simply stared ahead dazedly, her eyes dull.

“Maihime...?”

Someone in the group sighed. “She’s not responding. It seems like the shock of losing her children was too much for her to bear.”

“All the more reason for her to do the cleansing bath.” The red-clothed person says.

“As you say, Head.”

Airi was pulled up by a few of the people following the Head. Seeing that the girl refusing to move her legs, they resorted to just carry her.

Soon, they arrived at the private bath area.

A large pool was built in the middle of the room. The water that flowed in it was from the natural hot spring from underneath the manor.

“There’s a little bit of miasma left inside her. Make sure that all of them are cleansed before taking her out.” Instructed the Head.

“Yes, sir.”

After confirming that the maidservants heard his order, the Head left.

The people swiftly undressed the dazed woman, leaving only the thin, white layer of her undergarment.

They gently laid her down in the pool of hot water.

Clearly, something else had been mixed into it as the water was a peculiar shade of green.

As Airi submerged into the water, her skin felt as if it was burning; as if it was touched by acid. However, no scar marked her skin, showing that the pain was not physical.

Slowly, but surely, thin tendrils of black smoke began to be released from her pores. The patch of water around her turned murky as the black smoke polluted it.

The ever-loyal maidservants pushed Airi deeper into the bath. While it was not enough to drown her, it still caused her to reflexively flail around in a panic.

Ignoring her reaction, the maidservants scooped the water and doused her already wet body with more water, carefully washing her every nook and cranny.

Airi’s skin buzzed with a numbing tingle, already getting used to the pain. After a while, she finally calmed down, looking as still as she was before entering the bath.

Soon afterwards, no more impurities could be discharged from her body, signifying that she was as clean and pure as the day she was born.

“It’s time to take her out.” One of the maids said. She had observed Airi’s condition in great detail, and after confirming that no more miasma tainted her, she signalled the rest to carry the precious girl out.

With her body and soul having been cleansed thoroughly, she was finally allowed to leave. The maidservants wrapped her in a new set of robes, carefully drying her body. A light fragrance emitted from her, resembling the sweet scent of babies. Basking in the scent helped the maidservants to feel more relaxed and calm.

They carried her out of the bath area in the same way as they came.

The Head waited for them outside the bath. As he was male, it was rather unbecoming for him to stay in the bath area while she bathed, so he simply waited outside until they were finished.

“How do you feel, Maihime-sama?” He lowered his head and cupped his hands, showing his respects.

“... ... ...I feel...” Airi spoke slowly, taking long pauses in between each word, “...awake.”

“That is wonderful, milady.” The Head almost sagged his shoulders in relief, but stopped himself from doing so as such informality would be rude to the girl. She may have already retired, but she was still one of the most respectable and important people in their clan that even he could not offend. “Will you partake in a meal, Maihime-sama?” He raised his head, eyes concealing worry. The girl had yet to eat anything since she had returned, and he was beginning to grow worried.

“...” Airi turned her head away, clearly showing her refusal. She had no appetite. Even if she did, it was better if she just starved herself to death. The pain would surely be more bearable than the pain currently occupying her heart.

“...Understood.” The Head stifled a helpless sigh. He bowed once more, gesturing the rest to follow him back to her room. Since she didn’t want to eat, then she should rest, at least.

Airi and her entourage returned to her room. After the maidservants laid out the futon, they quietly left the room to the girl, allowing her some peace and quiet to think.

However, in the silent night, her thoughts seemed much too deafening.

“Kureha,” she softly called out.

‘Yes.’

In the dark room, a pair of blood-red eyes greeted her.

“I want to get some fresh air. Distract them for me.” Airi reached out into the air, hoping to touch the spirit for reassurance.

The pair of red eyes blinked, and moved forward. Under the dim lighting, a faint silhouette of a man could be seen, inching closer to her. The man caught her stretched out hand and placed it on his cheek. ‘Alright. Don’t wander around for too long. Don’t go too far either.’

Listening to that monotonous baritone voice, she cracked a small smile. “I’m not a child, Kureha. Also, why are you so talkative tonight?”

‘Airi...’ A rare tone of reproach was contained in his stoic voice.

“Fine, I won’t,” she quickly surrendered. She knew that the reason he broke his silence was because he was worried.

Kureha stared at her deeply. Through their bond, he could tell that she was only saying those words half-heartedly. Though he was worried of what she might do when left alone, it was not his place to tell her otherwise. He could only nod and obey her orders.

After a while, he finally nodded and released her hand. He slowly stood up to his full height, passing through the door as if he was invisible and stood in front of it, guarding. If anyone decided to bother her, he would be the first to strike them down.

“I’ll be back soon,” she promised him.

Airi pulled out a blank-looking talisman and whispered an incantation. Half a second later, the effects of the talisman activated and her presence was concealed. Unless someone had a high level of presence detection ability, she was guaranteed to be able to slip out easily.

Airi made her way familiarly to a path that led to a hidden entrance. The 'entrance' was nothing but a barely-noticeable hole on the wall that was hidden by the nearby bushes. When she was younger and still living in the manor, she had used the entrance to secretly leave the manor and explore the outside world.

Luckily, the hole was still there. It seems like after all these years that she had been away, no one had found the hidden entrance.

Airi crawled through the hole, making her way outside.

Since there was no distinct roads, she walked forwards aimlessly, only changing the direction if she happened to be obstructed by something.

Without her realisation, she had stumbled upon a dirt road.

Airi kept walking. She walked and walked and walked, until the scenery was no longer familiar to her.

Hours passed by.

She had no idea how far she had walked. Her legs were beginning to feel burdened. Finally, she could not walk anymore. Airi tumbled down, her legs no longer able to support her weight.

As if adding insult to injury, the sky darkened and rain began to fall. It felt as if even the heavens was scorning her.

She could not stop her tears from falling out again.

0