The End of the Beginning (10)
55 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

One month have passed since the passing of Maihime.

On the 32nd day of her death, a funeral was finally held.

The clan members who lived in the main house all gathered an item that once belonged to the Maihime each, placing them into the Maihime’s maiden bedroom.

Although the venue was different, the funeral rites were roughly the same as any other funeral.

“Head,” one of the retainers whispered as he came up next to the Head. “What of the katana?” He asked furtively.

The sword, which have been found in Airi’s bedroom, which had been Zantetsu’s personal sword, was now wrapped in silk cloth.

The current bearer of the sword looked at the Clan Head with a distressed gaze. With the owner of the sword practically on his deathbed, the sword had become ownerless. Nobody knew what to do with it.

“It has been soaked in the blood of the Maihime. It is only fit for it to be burned along all the others,” the Head replied evenly. He did not know whether the sword held any sentimental values to the General, but the man was not in his right mind, so it did not matter.

“As you said, Head,” the retainer nodded. With a flash, he had already scurried to add the sword among the pile of belongings inside the room.

“Everything has been prepared,” another retainer informed.

The Head looked around at all the familiar faces. With pursed lips, he took a deep breath and muttered, “Burn it down.”

With his signal, everybody picked up a lighted torch and threw it towards the room from all sides. With experienced personnel watching by the side, none of the flames managed to get past the designated area.

Within minutes, Airi’s room, and all her memories, were now gone.

As if sensing the closure of Airi’s death, Ryuuenjou Zantetsu closed his eyes for the very last time.

Ryuuenjou Zantetsu, a famed general of the Emperor’s, unable to handle the grief of losing his wife and children, passed away quietly in a small quiet room in the Kujou territory.

“…!” The maidservant who was in charge of caring for the man was not immediately alerted by his death, but after two hours of stillness, she had gone to check his breathing. Upon discovering his passing, she immediately informed the physician and sent a servant to inform the Head who was still overseeing the funeral rites.

After hearing the news, the Head closed his eyes again. He heaved a heavy sigh, rubbing his face with his palm slowly.

“What do we do with the deceased man, sir?”

“…” The Head mutedly exhaled. “Those soldiers outside—they are still clamouring to see him? Have someone bring a few of them inside through the backdoor. It is bad karma to have two funerals in one day. Since he is the Emperor’s retainer, have the Emperor deal with his funeral.”

“Yes.”

“And the orphaned girl… Ryuuenjou Fuyuki, was it?” The Head looked up at the sky tiredly. “Allow her to accompany her father on his last journey. After that, bring her here.”

“Yes, Head.”

0