Chapter 2: Magic Circles and Potion Preparation
15 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After walking a few miles, the rain stopped and all the clouds went away leaving the sky bright and shining. I hung his clothes to dry on a tree as he had the idea to sell them to a clothing shop. He had left his former home in fancy robes with lots of small details that made it pretty expensive in my mind. I had to camp outside for a night and thankfully nothing found me. Benefits of sleeping in a tree. Downside is now my back hurts a lot. 

I arrive at the town and It's not as small as I thought, I mean I only ever traveled here by carriage and it was like a 20 minute ride so I never paid attention to how big this place is. It seems the main street is a market and all of the stores are advertising with open doors. I manage to find a good clothing shop and I walk in and ask where to sell my clothes and get some new ones. 

I don't know if it was a good idea after all as I think the store owner might try to swindle me but I know the worth of the cloth I was wearing roughly, and I managed to haggle the price to 5 gold and a change of clothes. I originally tried to get 10 gold but my choice for clothes was expensive so it was reduced to 5 gold. I am now wearing a light blue shirt with a dark blue cape and brown belt. I was wearing baggy pants that were a bit rough but they didn't  bother me that much. 

Money Detected, Initiating Anti Steal Program

I watch as my newly received bag of coins disintegrates and I get a new addition to my status plate. Now underneath my Health and other points is a 'Money' saying how much cash is stored in it. I currently have a balance of 5 gold and 3 silver. Nifty. I walk down the street in my new clothes and look around for a general shop to buy supplies for my journey. First order of business is to either sign up for this branch of the adventurers guild or just travel to the city on my own. Now the second option is ideal but not practical, but I will go with it anyway. 

I found an Weapon Shop first and got a sword. I didn't really have the time to get a custom one but I did find one that was kinda special, it drew me in even though it was extremely rusty. When I was looking at it something happened with the system. 

Special item detected activating Appraisal Lv.Max (Hidden)

 

Magic Sword (Prototype)

Sword made with by mixing Silver and Steel becoming magically conductive alloy Silversteel, and the hilt is made from a piece of a broken staff. Extremely rusted from neglect. 

+3 to MP

Sharpness -10

Strength +2

Durability 4/10

If submerged in (Inferior-Perfect) Mana Potion rust will be removed. 

I immediately brought the sword to the shopkeep who looked at the sword I picked in awe, but not from impressiveness.

"Are you sure you want this sword? It looks useless I don't even know why we still haven't thrown it away." (Shopkeep)

"I am interested in it." (Me)

"I better ask the smith though just to be sure I am not really sure where this came from." (Shopkeep)

"It was in the corner over there, Leaning against the wall, I thought it was a pretty well made sword despite the rust. If I can get the rust off I think it will work well enough for my purposes." (Me)

"Alright, but I'll warn you, Our swords are non returnable so if it breaks you can't return it. That will be... 25 bronze coins."(Shopkeep)

"Here."(Me) I handed over a silver and the shopkeep split it and gave me my change which was like a handful of bronze coins. I secretly turned them into the system and got half a silver in bronze and it confirmed it was the correct amount of coins to get as change. 

I walked out of the shop and immediately went to the alchemist's shop and looked at the potion costs. Well I walked around until I saw a sign advertising the alchemists shop, but for all I know it could be an herbalists shop, but I think its an alchemist shop based on the prices. I remember reading a story once where alchemists could change stuff into gold but I think the story, was just about how the prices were so expensive! Thankfully the Mana Potions only cost... 30 silver! The heck! Well it gets cheaper the less refined it is, with an (Inferior) Mana potion being only 5 silver, but the perfect potions were 5 to 10 gold each! That's all of my coin on hand!

I bought a few inferior health potions for 1 silver each, and then I tried to look through the mana potions for a decent one to get. I think if I used a Perfect Potion it would work better but really all I had to do was use mana potion. As I was looking through them the system would occasionally tell me the ingredients so I had the most amazing thought. What if I made the potion myself? It sounded feasible. So that's what I did, I left the Alchemists shop, and walked to the General Supplies Shop. 

The General Supplies shop had exactly what the name of the place said, with backpacks lining the walls and a counter with supplies on top. I bought a satchel, two small side bags, a skinning kit and tinderbox. I bought a few rations as well, but I had been planning on cooking for myself, well learn to cook. I bought a notebook with paper and it was the most expensive, around 3 silvers as well as a feather pen with it. 

I went back to the Alchemist's shop and with the system's new skill 'Appraisal' I noted down the ingredients to each of the potions I thought were useful. I went up to the counter and asked if the shop was selling potion kits. To my surprise they did, but at an expensive price that I should have guessed. I forked over 3 gold to purchase it and I silently wept at the price. I was still relatively rich, as I had like 3 months pay of a guard left as savings.  

I walked the market using appraisal occasionally and seeing how the products were being sold were. I felt my stomach rumble and out of habit I bought a skewer for 1 silver. It was expensive but i was too hungry to care. I took bites of the delicious skewer as I walked in circles around the town going down the streets before I came to the back gate of town. I had to pay a fee to leave as I had no identification, but that didn't matter as it was mostly cheap. I continued my walk down the road and on my way to the next town. 

 

Now It's been a few hours and 'Town' which was literally the name, is but a speck in the distance and I realize I should have bought more. I bought the basics for travel as well as some seasonings in case I cooked for myself, but i didn't get a bedroll or anything, which means I'll be sleeping in the trees for the time being. I saw a few herbs needed for the potions and I collected a few but I didn't have the main ingredient for the Perfect Potions. Well Perfect potions come to be when someone is making a (High) quality potion and they hit the miracle spot and the system upgrades it to perfect. It has better mana regen and for some reason it tastes like a random fruit. 

People found that using Mana-Infused water would increase the chances of creating a Perfect Potion, but only really high tier alchemists are given the recipe, otherwise Mana-Infused water can be found in caves with Mana Crystals, as the lakes are often infused to begin with, due to occupying the space of the cave for so long. I had a theory but I never had the chance to try it as My family had looked down on magic and focused on etiquette and increasing our status as nobles which I never thought was fun to do, main reason I snuck out to train as a knight at... well, night. 

I learned magic by pure coincidence, when I was reading in the family's library there were a few magic circle creation guides for the elements and when I made them in my head I automatically unlocked the Mana stat. It seems the first time someone casts a spell it gives the user mana multiplied by their intelligence. I practiced it in my spare time and got it up to use mana freely to a degree. When creating a magic circle different shapes bring out different effects in different places. When one forms only a circle they can manipulate pure mana I found. Most people just focus on making harder and more sophisticated magic circles but I mainly trained basic mana control and a few elemental spells. 

Magic for elemental magic was always symbols, which were very obvious and there were 4 basic symbols, A wave for water, a flame for fire, a gust for wind, and a stone for earth. Then shapes is what adds a degree of physicality. Circles let the mana flow smoothly through it. Triangles add sharpness. Squares add defensive strength. The simple spell I can do is A circle with a triangle inside it, with the symbol of wind utilizes the spell wind blade. Magic circles can be carved onto things to make them have a magic circuit to cast quick spells, most usually wands and staffs have a bunch of circles to better focus spells. 

I had the hunch if I take some water and just infuse it with mana I might be able to make Mana infused water, but that obviously doesn't work or else others would have figured it out already. All I can tell is there is some sort of water infused with mana to work. So I took a piece of random wood, and carved a bunch of circles into it and started to infuse it with mana while I walked. It was interesting because the system would now tell me how much mana an object would take before it was destroyed, because to enchant something you infuse it with a specific type of magic until it's "filled" with mana, which was a very hard to measure, I only think master alchemists and master enchanters know how.  

It makes me wonder what my title really is now that I have access to all of these... sub-systems, like these were supposed to be in the system but only I get access to them. 

This has been sitting in drafts for a few years, so Imma address some of the problems and why I didn't change them. Yes he can afford to buy mana potions up to medium grade, but he decides to make his own instead to train mana control and the like. He wants to be able to use the best mana potion for his sword, without buying an overpriced potion if he can make them himself. On the other hand though he doesn't know how hard it is to make potions normally.

1