Chapter 1: Title
40 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I woke up in surprise. Eeeeee I will finally get my Title today. I am so excited I almost couldn't sleep last night. Mostly out of nervousness then excitement but it's finally here! I walk down the stairs and greet mother, She doesn't seem as nervous or excited as I am but keeping up politeness I sit next to her as she calls for a maid to bring me breakfast. She is drinking tea and reading the newspaper, and I can see a few of the headlines in their bold texts but none of them interest me enough from just glancing at it.

"So. You should be receiving your title today."(Mother)

"Yes Mother, I am curious to what it will be." (Me)

I take a bite out of the sausage that the maid brings over with breakfast. The breakfast is a bunch of sausage links and some cooked eggs on toast, the usual but it is delicious nonetheless. Mother looks at me with a long glance and I realize my mistake. She dislikes when I use the word 'curious'.

 "So I was thinking of the options and it would be best for you to get 'Advisor' or 'Inheritance Noble'. Both of those would keep our family together as 'Advisor' can let you be a higher official in the kingdom." (Mother)

So far my father as he had inherited this land from his father had the title 'Inheritance Lord" and it meant our family was nobility through heritage and we were the rightful heirs to this land. Otherwise he would just be 'Inheritance Noble'. It was the evolution of 'Lord Heir' which my brother has. If I got 'Lord Heir' it would become a fight for the Lord position as the system designated us as both being worthy of the position. That would be the worst possible outcome as I would probably get kicked out of the house and my Title would degenerate to something else.  I absentmindedly checked my status as my mother was lecturing me. 

Name: Ren Mortison 

Title: None 

HP: 25/25

MP: 15/15

SP: 40/40

Stats:

  • Strength - 15
  • Dexterity - 12
  • Intelligence - 21
  • Wisdom - 10

Proficiencies: 

(Intermediate) Swordsmanship Lv.17

(Basic) Shieldsmanship Lv.10(MAX)

(Intermediate) Archery Lv.12

(Advanced) Reading Lv.67

(Basic) Elemental Magic Lv.9

Abilities:

Slash Lv.25 - Costs 8 SP - User slashes as hard as they can.

Bash Lv.10 - Costs 5 SP - User Bashes target with shield. 

Throw Lv.26 - Costs 8 SP - User throws object at target doing some damage.  

Quick Shot Lv. 15 - Costs 6 SP - User quickly shoots 3 Arrows in fast succession

"Are you even listening to me? Ren this is important."(Mother)

I was not listening at all, so I had no clue about what mother was talking about so I apologized and listened for awhile. Short summary she wanted to make sure I got the right title and went over all the possibilities she could think of. The worst that could happen would be to get a 'commoner' title, in which I would be kicked out of the house and stripped of the family name. Mother said this was impossible as it would indicate that I wasn't father's son and she had committed adultery and she stopped talking but I knew what she implied. 

Father came down from his room and called a carriage as we were to be going to the church to receive my Title. I got in first with mother and father across from me and Arnold next to me. During that carriage ride over mother went over my titles that I should try to get with father and Arnold chiming in what would be good for me. The titles are completely random so it's not like I get a lot of control over this, so I don't get why they are lecturing me and I basically wasn't listening to them.

We arrived at the church and I jumped out. Stretching before Father and Mother start lecturing me about proper etiquette and all that. The church was big and has a lot of muraled glass with the 10 gods and goddesses on each of the windows. we walked in and I immediately Was sort of pushed my father up onto the stand. we had arrived before all of the others as Father had wanted me to be first. I went up ti the stand and waited Arnold said that it would just appear in your status and you would know. 

I waited and waited and it seemed that father and mother were getting anxious. Father was tapping his foot rhythmically against the tiled floor of the church hall and mother was tightly clenching her purse. Arnold looked indifferent, but he always looked like that so I could never tell what was on his mind. 

Suddenly I felt it. A searing pain in my head and I saw something. Like I was in a dark blue room and an odd ball in the corner. Everything around me was frozen and there were weapons frozen in the air coming towards me. There was a girl dressed in all white and when I tried to look around i found that I couldn't I was locked in place looking at the girl in white. She started to talk but I could barely hear her. Once I could hear her I caught a few words. 

"I'll try to buy you time. When the right someone is of age you will be sent to them. The secret I put in the system will help them, you, in my stead. I'm sorry I didn't think they would react this way. You will have access to some parts of the system they never wanted anyone to see, and again I'm sorry." (Girl in White)

Then time resumed and while my eyes were closing I saw all of the weapons impale the girl before it all went black. 

 

I woke up finding myself in my bed in my room, with a bunch of people surrounding me. I noticed my mother and some clergy like man in the robes of the church in front of me. Who am I? I think...Ren....Mortison was it? I felt like I was a totally different person before. I Look over to my mother and shee is clasping my hand tightly. 

"Ren are you alright? You fell unconscious back at the church when you were getting your title. And no one can tell what it is, even through divination magic." (Mother) 

"Are you more worried about my title then... me?" (Me)

"Well partially, your title means most of your future." (Mother)

"Well let me check Mother." (Me)

Name: Ren (Arime)

Title: The Forgotten One (Hidden)

HP: 20/1000000 (Locked)

MP: 1000000/∞ (Locked)

SP: 40/∞ (Locked)

"Um... My title is 'The Forgotten One' I have no idea what it means." (Me)

I was lying it had to do with the girl in white I saw but I didn't know why. As soon as I said the name of my title I got a weird notification from my system and everyone in the room had a blank look on their face. 

Warning: Title must not be revealed to others, Erasing Memories related to Host. 

What's it mean "Erasing memories"? I watch as everyone in the room look at me and look like they didn't know how they got here. Mother came up to me and asked in a confused voice. 

"Excuse me who are you?" (Mother)

"Um Mother? I'm Ren."

"I have never met you in my life I can't be your mother. what are you doing here?" (Mother?)

"This is my room, the room I have stayed in for the last 16 years? Why can't you remember?" (Me)

"Excuse me I need to find my husband about this, can you follow me?" (Mother?)

"Mother why? Why can't you remember?! I am your second son, Arnold is my brother!" (Me)

"I don't know your connection is with my son Arnold, he's never mentioned you." (Mother?)

"What?!"(Me) 

I'm in shock. what happened! I just told everyone the name of my title and they all forgot about me? How is that possible?! I get up and follow mother, maybe father can vouch for me. 

"Honey, Someone was in our house and they claim to be related to me but I never met them before." (Mother?)

"I'm your son, the system made you forget Mother." (Me)

"Well I agree I've never seen him or heard of him before." (Father?)

"I keep telling you, the system made you forget, I am part of this family, I am the second son? This morning everyone went with me to get my title checked. Don't you remember?" (Me)

Arnold walked down and was standing next to father.

"Who let this commoner in?" (Arnold)

"Arnold! It's me Ren, don't you remember me?!" (Me)

"I have never seen you before commoner." (Arnold) He said with a bit of disgust. I knew Arnold didn't like commoners but he never spoke to me like that though. He always spoke to me politely, if a bit indifferently. 

"As you can see no one know who you are, are you the son of some maid? Go back to the maid quarters if that is the case, you've been quite disrespectful to our future lord here." (Father?) he pointed to Arnold smugly. 

"What?! Why can't any of you remember me?! I have been your son for 16 years! 16 bloody years!" I had given up with being polite at that point. "Arnold you used to spar with me and I even told you my dream. To be a Knight, you really don't remember?!" (Me)

"Stop yelling! I have never seen such a rude commoner like you in my entire life, get out!" (Arnold)

Mother and father were looking at me like I was a piece of garbage and all of the maids picked me up b y the arms and threw me out the door. I fell down the steps and landed on my ass hard on the ground. Arnold looked out from the door and Yelled from inside.

"Good Riddance!" (Arnold) 

And the door was slammed behind him. I sat there completely confused with what just happened. The system said it was erasing everyone's memory to protect me I think? Because I said my title out loud? I sat there for what felt like forever before it began to rain. The drops hitting my face I jump out of my stupor and seek cover by the trees. What made my title so special that the system had to erase others memories of my existence? I wanted freedom but I didn't want to be kicked out of the house to get it.

What do I do now? I think to the lessons I took about commoners. I can either get a job as a Mercenary or I can try to get into the knight order. and both of those are in the city. first order of business, get to the city, and maybe go to the capitals library and find out what happened to me. I start walking along the road, my first stop is to get to the town, father, well the lord, rules over and get supplies. I only have my clothes, a few silver coins, and my knife. Better hurry then, the rain doesn't seem to be stopping for a while. 

 

2