Chapter 11: Moonlight Suite, In Havoc
20 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The water was cold - biting and unforgiving. Through his fuzzy consciousness, V recalled memories of this feeling from years past. The memories were warm and exciting, yet now he only felt pain … and panic.

His body felt heavy and light at the same time. He was floating and sinking altogether.

How long has it been since the darkness underneath the surface swallowed him whole?

He wanted to struggle but he couldn’t make any movements.

Why couldn’t he move his limbs?

He knew how to swim, it was muscle memory at this point, yet he could only twitch pathetically.

An undercurrent dragged his limp body sideways. There was a sharp pain as his back hit a hard surface. He had half the mind to keep his mouth closed but it was too late as he saw bubbles escape in a torrent.

Cold.

It was cold.

Was he even breathing?

He couldn't remember how he got here.

Where did everyone else go?

Why were his lungs full of water?

--

Chaos. It was pure chaos.

Angelique turned to Harper, pale eyes meeting ruby ones, asking for confirmation, asking what to do now that the photoshoot turned into a disaster. Harper shrugged at her silent question, she was as confused as the Omega was.

At first, Angelique was admittedly half paying attention as the photographer instructed her to strike different poses. She couldn’t really focus knowing that her boss was watching. Yes, she was a professional but she was still a rookie by all means, barely a year since she stepped into the industry. Anyone in her position would have wandering eyes and sweaty palms.

In her peripherals, she noticed her boss walked towards a man with two bodyguards. They seemed like old acquaintances, not too intimate but not too distant either. They were conversing civilly yet they both seemed agitated - one was on the defensive while the other was apologetic.

Angelique took a quick look at the defensive man. He was wearing casual clothes (sleepwear, from the looks of it too) yet he exuded a captivating allure. The silver bedhead and lazy posture made him akin to a sleepy fairy that reluctantly left its chambers. Even then, his excited eyes couldn’t hide the curiosity behind them, making him seem more mischievous than relaxed.

The man Angelique deemed a fairy dragged her boss somewhere without the bodyguards, near the open area of the cliff. The bodyguards tried to come with them, but the man barked in a warning. It was too far for her to see without being obvious so she quickly put aside her interest.

In between the photographer telling the staff to adjust the lighting, a scream was heard. Before anyone could figure out what was happening, it was followed by several shouts and then two splashes.

Everyone was frozen in disbelief, and then the scene descended into pandemonium. People were running, some were calling on their phones, the manager came in and left in a panic, and one of the bodyguards even jumped after.

"I'm so glad this place is closed-off. Can you imagine the field day the press would have if they got a hold of this?"

Angelique couldn't believe what she was hearing. Someone jumped off a cliff and their main concern was their reputation. It was appalling, she couldn’t be here anymore.

She was about to tell Harper to pack up and leave - that there’s no way the shoot can go on like this - when some distant equipment suddenly erupted into flames.

With wide eyes, she watched as the fire turned bigger and bigger, encompassing the open area and blocking the only way to the sea.

In abject horror, she realized, Isn’t that where they were standing earlier?

--

V blinked at the ceiling through blurry eyes. His whole body ached, it felt like lead, and his chest area was burning. Merely inhaling and exhaling hurt.

Still, he didn’t miss the way the air was permeated with anger, worry, and guilt.

"FUCK, LEO!" He vaguely heard someone. "This is the first time … and my brother …  drowning!" The voice was loud but distant. Was that Arwan?

V doesn't know. He couldn’t think properly. He couldn’t feel anything but pain.

He was thirsty too.

He wanted to speak but his mouth was dry. All that came out was a strangled cry. Nobody noticed that the patient on the bed was awake.

They were still arguing. V doesn’t know if his feeble voice could overpower the loud one so with great difficulty, he turned his head, hoping his unfocused gaze could make eye contact with anyone.

Several seconds passed, allowing V to clearly see four figures in the room. One was undoubtedly his eldest brother, one was a doctor in a white coat, one was a soaked man wrapped in a towel, and there was another standing in the corner. They were still arguing, though it was more appropriate to say that Arwan was scolding the man with a towel.

Relieved at seeing a familiar face, V took advantage as no one was speaking and weakly said, “Ar...wan.”

Thankfully, his voice managed to reach them this time. Both Arwan and the doctor came rushing to his side. V didn’t have the energy to mind him as the doctor fussed around him, he was still in pain and his throat was parched.

With Arwan so close, the pheromones became thicker and denser. V felt like he was drowning a second time. He tried to say something - to ask for water, to ask them to make the pain go away, to ask Arwan to chill the fuck out - but his chest convulsed and the words were trapped inside.

Seeing his baby brother choking, Arwan couldn’t help but scent heavier in worry. “How are you feeling?” It was a stupid question. He knew V must’ve been feeling like shit, but he needed to ask. It was the only thing he could do.

Receiving no reply, Arwan tried releasing pheromones that said safe and warm. To his surprise, it made V choke harder.

“Ease up on the scenting, Arwan. Even a Beta like me is getting clouded.” The man wrapped in a towel spoke up. V recognized the voice, it was the same one from dinner last night.

Thankfully, his brother got the memo and stopped scenting, giving V enough space to regain his senses. With his mind barely working, V tried to match the voice to a name and a face.

He stared at the two men in the corner and squinted his eyes to see better. They were also looking at him as the doctor was saying something about a hospital and possible complications.

Like a thunderbolt, several scenes came flashing to V’s mind.

The coffee shop.

A bruised eye.

The parking lot.

The cliff.

The jump.

Leo Fago.

Beta.

Echo.

Alpha.

Why is he here?

V stopped looking at the familiar faces when he heard Arwan making a call.

With great struggle, he grabbed onto the sleeve of Arwan’s sweater. "Don't … tell … the others." He managed to push out.

Arwan dropped his call and kneeled beside him, careful not to touch his pale and lifeless brother. “How are you feeling?” He repeated.

“I’m … fine.” Arwan frowned upon hearing that, knowing full well that he was lying. “Thirsty,” he added.

“I really recommend sending him to the hospital. He needs further examination and there might be internal injuries.” The doctor interrupted, leading V to belatedly realize that they were still at the hotel. At his room, the Moonlight Suite, to be exact.

Arwan ignored him, opting to pour a glass of warm water for V instead. He helped the younger one sit up and passed the cup to his lips. V accepted the assistance without a word, not even when he was laid back on the bed and was tucked in.

He wasn’t sure when, but apparently, Arwan sent the doctor away. It was only the four of them now: him, his brother, a still wet Leo, and Echo who hasn’t said a word.

Breaking the silence, Leo spoke up. “Arwan. Can we talk to your brother?”

The Alpha glared at him, evidently blaming him for the incident.

“In private, please.” Leo sighed, he was also blaming himself. It was obvious how the Omega would react upon seeing him, knowing that he was stalked for 10 months. In fact, Leo was surprised that V didn’t pounce on him the first moment their eyes met.

Arwan said nothing, an implicit rejection. How could he leave his baby brother alone with them? He didn’t even know who the other Alpha was.

This time, it was V’s weak voice that pleaded. “Please, Arwan. It’s okay.”

Arwan, still saying nothing, stared at V. The two men kept themselves to the corner, not daring to interrupt the battle of wills between brothers.

After what felt like forever, Arwan stood up and headed for the door. “Five minutes, any more and everyone will hear about what happened here.”

V shivered, the threat was the most dangerous one his eldest brother could drop. One Mu Hen brother was already difficult to deal with, three more would be a suicide mission. Despite that, he nodded in understanding and Arwan left, closing the door behind him.

Seeing as they were alone, Echo took a seat beside V while Leo grabbed another chair. The Beta’s wet clothes stuck to his skin yet he acted like it didn’t bother him. He had a lot he wanted to say but Leo wasn’t sure if it was within his limits. Their job had a lot of secrets, after all.

After pondering for a moment, Leo felt that it was best to leave everything to his boss. He was cold and tired and there was only one question he truly wanted to ask.

Sure enough, his boss didn’t disappoint when the first question he asked was, "Why did you jump?"

"I was trying to save him," V replied without missing a beat, firm in his answer.

"Save him from what?" Echo’s voice was devoid of emotion, as if the other two people in the room didn’t nearly drown.

V hesitated, wondering if he should just make up a lie, something more believable. In the end, he chose the truth. It was what he would’ve wanted if he was the other party.

Gathering his strength, he looked straight into Echo and then Leo’s eyes. "Dying. You were on fire."

For the second time that day, Leo felt chills run down his spine.

If you can't swim and you know it, clap your hands
*clap clap*

If you can't swim and you know it, clap your hands
*clap clap*

If you can't swim and you know it, and you won't survive Titanic
If you can't swim and you know it, clap your hands
*clap clap*

2