Chapter 24: First Day at Work
11 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

V thought he would be immediately asked to report to the company. After all, Venus Entertainment’s success didn’t come by being lax on their artists, but his manager, Art, told him that the company would take a week to settle his documents. He was also told not to worry and to consider this week as a break before his job officially starts, and V believed that with no doubt.

He didn’t even start yet he was already taking a break—a paid one, too, so who was he to complain? V thought that something was fishy but he deduced that he would never understand how the upper management’s brains worked. It was of no use even if he wanted to think about it.

Of course, he was completely unaware that it was his Alpha housemate’s order to let him stay in the house.

--

For the week V stayed practically at home, he was basked almost every day in the Alpha’s pheromones. At first, Echo was stiffer and more rigid than usual, speaking even less than before. V couldn't understand why the Alpha was acting like a pure maiden that was taken advantage of—they did nothing wrong, so when Echo sat down, V plopped into place between his arms, resuming their position from before. Echo twitched and fidgeted but when V offered his neck and rubbed their wrists together, it was like something in the Alpha switched on and his pheromones came in big waves.

That was the last time Echo hesitated in nuzzling close to V. For several hours in a day, they continued vision training (as V named it) while scenting each other to ease the process for the Omega.

He had to admit that although he was alone in battling the nightmarish illusions brought by his new eyes, having the big Alpha envelop him and bathe him in his pheromones was like having warm sunlight on his back while he hiked through freezing terrain. They also had idle conversations every now and then, but mostly before either of them got intoxicated in each other’s scents.

V learned that Venus Entertainment required all artists—not just omegas—to wear scent patches to protect their identity. After all, everyone came with their unique scent. It would be impossible to disguise anyone if they even let a tiny amount of pheromone slip through. Paparazzi have sharper noses than bloodhounds, Echo proclaimed.

But he also knew that it was to prevent any scandals from leaking out—yes, leaking. V was not so ignorant as to not know the dark side of the entertainment industry. Talent was not the only thing offered by desperate artists. Although V had no judgment for people who willingly chose to sell their bodies in exchange for fame, he knew that such transactions were not for him. He got four older brothers he could rely on, so why should he turn to strangers when asking for help?

When V asked Echo what to do if someone forced him to abide by the ‘hidden rules,’ the Alpha simply told him to punch them in the face like how V punched him. The Omega laughed between Echo’s arms but he didn’t apologize for the injury he caused; he had nothing to be sorry for.

The next day, V received Leo’s assurance that the company protects their artists so as to not let anything unsavory happen. He felt content knowing that he did not put his safety into the wrong hands.

V spent a week with the Alpha like that—sharing meals together, exchanging short words and light-hearted conversations, and cuddling while marking each other with their scents.

It felt natural, all of it. It was easy.

For that one week, V forgot the pressure of being an unmated omega.

--

V arrived at the company with Art waiting for him in the lobby. Echo stayed behind for some reason that V didn't ask. Although V was confused as to why the Alpha insisted on accompanying him every time he went out since he moved in, he decided that when dealing with things larger than him and his small world, it was best to know less. The illusion he saw was proof of that—it felt so real as if a forgotten memory was unlocked and he had to relive it again and again.

Staring at his manager’s conflicted face, he now knew he had to deal with the 'real' world, one in which he was immediately asked if he was seeing anyone.

"No," he told his manager. "Why'd you ask?"

"Oh," Art shifted his weight from left foot to right, eyes looking everywhere but V. "It's just that … you smell like an alpha."

"I do?" He scratched on the scent patches on his neck to make sure it was there before sniffing his arms and clothes. He even inhaled underneath his loose, baggy shirt to make sure he didn’t miss a spot. "It must be my roommate."

Arthur wanted to ask if it was normal to scent with your roommate, but considering Leo's warning about V's temper, he thought better of it. If he wanted to have a good relationship with his new artist, it was best not to pry into the Omega’s personal matters. He knew that V was being protected by someone from high up, especially since he saw the director personally escort this rookie.

With the resolve to speak less but do more, Art brought V to the 8th floor where most of the music studios were located. Their first agenda of the day was to gauge the extent of V’s musical abilities. It was already known that he could sing, and with the studio fully equipped, he didn’t need to bring anything but himself.

--

V patiently waited for Art and Regulus, Venus Entertainment’s renowned composer, to gather their senses. He placed the cello back into its original position and exited the recording booth, sitting on the couch like a model student waiting for the principal.

Regulus, a Beta with curly hair and a kind smile, recovered first. His head darted back and forth from the instruments on the other side of the glass to V’s pleasant and expectant face.

“H-how?” He stammered out. “You can really play everything in there?”

V nodded, not sure what the fuss was about.

“Everything?” Art parroted. “And you said you know more?”

He nodded again.

“How can that be?” Art asked while at the same time, Regulus was muttering, “Are you a genius?”

The redundant questions were starting to irritate V, so his tone was a bit sharp when he asked back, “Didn’t you see it for yourself? What are you asking me for?”

Surprised at the Omega’s outburst, the two Betas gulped their doubts down their throats. They did see with their two eyes when V bounced from one instrument to another—from the drums to the bass, and even to the harp that was collecting dust—with skills no less than a professional, so how could they not believe it?

Curiosity unabated, Regulus probed, “How long have you been playing? Which instrument did you learn first?”

V shrugged, opening a cap of bottled water placed on the side before taking a large gulp. “Since as long as I can remember,” he answered. “My first memory is me playing the piano.”

“Wow,” Art’s mouth was hung open in a wide O. “That’s amazing! I guess your family was pretty supportive.”

“My older brothers hated it,” V runs his fingers through his hair as he recounted his childhood days, “they liked going to training more because we were together. I went to music classes alone.”

The two Betas weren’t really sure how V’s family dynamics were but they could tell that the Omega was loved. Knowing that he was someone’s precious son and brother, they were more determined to nurture this budding talent.

Back to official business, Regulus asked V what his plans and vision were for his first album.

Surprised, V exclaimed, “Am I not supposed to be a trainee? Why am I preparing for an album already?”

“I watched your videos and saw you play live. What type of training do you need more?”

“I don’t know. Training that would make sure I don’t make a fool out of myself on stage, I guess.” V voiced his thoughts freely.

“You can do that at the same time,” Art interceded from the side. “Besides, if you encounter any problems composing songs, Regulus here is at your beck and call.”

“What do you mean ‘beck and call’? I’m a busy man.” The two bickered like good friends, leaving V to silently contemplate which direction he wanted to head to.

They were right in the knowledge that V wrote and composed his own songs. It was just that no one aside from him ever heard them, left to rot in the wake of his past heartbreaks.

Yes, he was the type to write songs dedicated to his exes; he couldn’t believe his way of venting and seeking closure would be profitable to him now. Maybe going through all that pain did have some use at the end of the day.

Thinking about which songs to bring to light, V started feeling excited for the first time in a while.

Hello! I just released a new story titled 'He Hates Me, He Loves Me Not' that follows the events after Chapter 19: The Shady Nightclub.
Remember the dancer who broke his heel and was carried away? It's about them!
If you want to read an angst-filled, R-18, omegaverse, romance story, do check it out :)

2