Chapter 31
27 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They reached the Island of Nerghul, one of the three Great Necropolises. It was a humongous temple, dedicated to Waikan, god of Death, Commerce and Taxes with a structured city.

The island was huge and enveloped by the dark City of Nerghul, heavy mist permeated from The Citadel, bringing life to the shadows. The middle of the circular island was dominated by the Citadel; a floating pyramid-like temple from a black stone. 

Unlike Koul’E, the whole city lacked any kind of machines. Most of the transportation was provided by zombie-driven carts. There were four docks on each side. The whole Necropolis was also an immense trading hub. God Waikan was not a god of death, commerce and taxes for nothing, after all.

The citizens mostly consisted of the priests and their families, adventurers, sailors, nobles and merchants with their zombie servants.

Vlad imagined skeletons, ghosts, vampires and other such monsters as often portrayed in the Earth’s literature. However, on Terra, it was quite different. 

Aelathane explained to him that ghosts, liches and vampires were not allowed as any type of soul tampering was strictly prohibited by the pantheon and skeletons were not very efficient. The theory behind it was simple; zombies had mostly everything they needed to move and required only a little bit of divinity after their souls were sent to the gods. On the other hand, skeletons were energy sponge. It was just easier to raise an embalmed corpse. 

Also, necromancers were priests, not wizards. Even in Elven lands, they were not forbidden, though Elves inherently did not like them, due to their innate closeness to nature and aversion to Necrotic Energy.

They landed at the smallest of the docks dedicated mostly for pirates in the west; their jolly roger flags on wooden caravels and steamboats showed as much. They had to as they lacked a single piece of document and Aelathane said it was not needed anyway as her master had some deal with one of the five High-Priests. They just needed a password and after paying they would be let inside.

There were even quite a few humans alongside Minoses and Lizardmen, which brought Vlad immense happiness.

Nobody gave him even a glance as they docked to Vlad’s immense joy. It was freeing to be able to walk there as a free, clothed man. 

Vladimir’s encyclopaedia updated quite a bit, but he took great care to not disturb with his [Analyser] anyone who appeared to have magic, ki or divinity.

Goulash and Sou’Rek stayed to “guard” the steamboat, drinking themselves out anyway. The former owner, that pirate captain, was quite a heavy boozer himself.  For almost three months the two goblins were not able to drink through the stash. Even Bread was slightly disgusted. However, Aelathane proved herself as a great drunkard, easily overdrinking them. 

So, Aelathane, Bread and Vladimir went shopping. Aelathane was… less than thrilled, but in the end, borrowed Vlad around 500 tolars and with his scraped leftovers he had just enough to buy some interesting resources to prepare. The prices here were completely different too. Much of the land herbs were incredibly pricey, however, their substitutes were easily found in the sea. 

“Twenty gold for a day,” a low-ranked black-robed priest said as they walked to the dock’s gate leading further to the city.

“Raised again…” Aelathane grimaced and handed him a leather pouch.

“Names?”

“Silandar’s Nature Academy,” she answered and handed him another pouch. The priest checked the surroundings and swiftly grabbed it with a trained move.

“Move,” he dispassionately commanded, reminding Vlad of those office bureaucrats back on Earth.

Inside the city was incredible. Most of the city was made of stone with sea monster bones. The citadel was… Incredible, but closed for a larger population and visitors.

Behind the gate, the city was brimming with drunk pirates, adventurers who decided that Blood Steppes were not something for them and many dilapidated bars. Vlad was glad he was protected right now… Even though quite a few ragtag pirates eyed  Aelathane, lust in their eyes, they did not dare to try anything, Vladimir accounted it to her enchanted grey robe, showing she was either rich, a wizard or both. Seeing as Bread was sheathed in her plate armour, they chose to leave her alone as well; they did not know if she was a male or female anyway.

There were plenty of guarding zombies who grabbed anyone who made too much of a mess and dragged them away, screaming. Vlad carefully analysed them and paled.

[Zombie, Guardian Horde of Nerghul
VIT: 420
CAC: 28   
ISS: 29
NSS: 9
MPA: 0.3
Everlasting hunger]

“No wonder orcs won’t attack…” Vlad muttered. Their strength was irrefutable. 

“What did you say?” Aelathane turned her head to him.

“Just wondering how the zombies could be so strong,” Vlad flinched.

“They are from the Nerghul’s Horde. You can scry them?” She squinted at him.

Vlad wondered if he would ever learn to shut the fuck up.

“Yeah, me too… You are giving away info about yourself left and right. No wonder you always lose. Shape up, knighty-boy! I don’t wanna die because of your idiocy,” the Loony Voice started to talk again after some time. Vlad already got used to him and quite often, simply ignored him.

“Hm. They just look powerful,” Vlad lied, as much as he hated to admit it, The Voice was right.

“U-huh… Anyway, don’t bother them and don’t make a mess, unless you want to end up as one of them,” Aelathane warned him, “and don’t scry anything else we come across. Otherwise, someone powerful will notice.”

First thing first, they went to a herbalist. She had everything Vlad needed to suppress his illness. The transaction left him with just 50 tolars but he could finally make a proper beginner-grade [Potion of Cure Disease].

Bread was acting as Aelathane’s bodyguard and she was quite enjoying it. Especially, when she could order Vladimir with an occasional chuckle.

Then Aelathane went on a shopping spree; supplies, interesting ingredients, weapons and ammo. Water and food were taken care of by the sea, but they just could not make the ammo. Vlad offered his services as it was simple enough to do. He just needed some steel ingots and a furnace, which Aelathane firmly refused. To produce usable bullets, he would need to use ki or a special type of magic. The bullets used to transfer ki were not so easy to make and magical bullets were even more so.

Vlad sighed at his constant lack of knowledge, promising himself he would hole in some library in the first opportunity. The local library was in the Citadel, which was under lockdown. He longingly gazed upon the floating pyramid, but he was pulled by Bread towards the other side. 

They would not be able to restock later on in their voyage. There were some sparsely inhabited islands along the way, but most lacked the resources or pirate strongholds. 

⌬⌬⌬⌬⌬⌬⌬⌬⌬⌬

 

“How long are we going to be here?” Vlad quietly asked as the tense Aelathane led them to one of the less frequent streets. Vlad finally noticed a few eyes following them quite a while back.

“Around a day. The less time we spend here, the better. There are already a few spotters on us,” Aelathane whispered back.

“What’s happening?”

“I don’t know… devils should not have contacts here; even the local pirates steer clear from them and the Grand Orcen Empire’s pirate fleet was at an unofficial war with them. Also, Nerghul inhabitants hold no love for them,” she explained.

“Hmm… Truly peculiar… It kinds of reminds me of when we were ambushed before we reached the harbour near Koul’E.”

“Yes… that was strange too. Something is happening even here. Luckily, I have good contacts nearby. We will go visit him. Vlad, you will act as my servant and Bread continue playing bodyguard,” she ordered. Vlad did not have any other option than to agree. He was getting fed up with it.

“Aww, knighty-boy wants to be more proactive… Boohoo! Just enjoy the ride,” the Loony Voice annoyed Vlad again.

“What should I do to shut you up?”

“Let me drive!”

“Nope!”

“In that case: AAAAA!” The Loony started to screech. Unfortunately for him, Vladimir already knew how to ignore it. He had to stop walking and concentrate through his [Focus] subskill. The screeching was still there, but subdued and manageable.

“What are you doing? Move!” Aelathane noticed Vladimir staying in a place with closed eyes.

They arrived at a high-class bar, The Hanger. The bodyguard outside was first reluctant, but when Aelathane showed him a little glowing mark on her wrist, he promptly opened with a small bow.

“What was that?” Vlad asked, ogling her now-hidden wrist. 

“Shush, servant!” She gave him a small smack on the back of his head.

They were led to a private box by a fat lizardman waiter.

“Mistress Tirian will join you soon. Do you wish to eat?” He asked with perfect diction.

“Yes, bring me a salad and a flagon of brandy and for my two servants a fish,” Aelathane handed him a golden tolar which he skillfully swept away.

“Something I should know?”

“For the love of Alavanar, don’t talk,” she deadpanned.

“Alavanar?”

“Elven goddess of nature,” she reflexively replied.

“Uhm… I will teach you…” Bread meek voice wafted from inside her helmet.

“Thank you, Bread! That would be amazing…” Vlad internally facepalmed. Why did it not occur to him on the ship?... Well, he had been unconscious for a large portion of the boat trip, he was lagging behind.

The door opened and an extremely fat orcette entered followed by the waiter who was holding their filled plates. She was around 2.3 metres tall and wore a yellow and purple toga, embedded with runes over her bountiful chest and hips. But what struck Vlad the most; she completely lacked for orcs typical tusks. 

“Thane! Welcome to my lovely restaurant!” She picked Aelathane into a hug with her massive arms. Aelathane appeared to struggle for a moment but gave up as her head was planted between the two huge breasts.

“Ammmpf!” Came from Aelathane and Vlad’s module translated it as, “Air!” 

“Girl, how are you!?” Tirian laughed, Aelathane head still planted in her chest.

“Hmmppf! Hmmmp!”  The elven wizard apprentice tried to reply.

“That’s amazing!” The orcette smiled as if she understood. “Who are these two?” She finally noted Vlad and Bread and frowned a little.

“B.. haaaaah… read! Vlad!” Aelathane finally got a chance to breathe. The orcette released her and grabbed Vlad's face. Aelathane deeply inhaled and exhaled, while flushed like a tomato.

“Ohh, so this is that human,” she smiled as she grabbed Vlad’s chin by her two fingers.

“What do you mean…” Vlad was interrupted as she suddenly pulled him into a hug too.

“Heh, this is somewhat familiar…  Where did I?” The Loony Voice pensively asked more himself than Vlad.

“Shut up!”

“I’ve definitely been in this situation before... But when?” The Loony Voice attention went to the locked memories and if he could, he would shiver.

“Good job, Vlad! Devils got their ass handed nicely by you!” She exclaimed and released him.

Vlad coughed a few times and took a deep breath. “What… What do you mean?”

“Oh, he speaks! What do I mean? News travels fast! You have used something to raze a whole enchanted armoury! Then ran away under the nose of Ssirze! For the past month, most of the local pirates haven't talked about anything else!” She explained while wildly gesticulating. Vlad thought that this orcette was completely different from those on the mainland. She was cheerful, sunny and bright and lacked that arrogance that was so typical for the Koul’E nobles.

“So… the spies who followed us here?”

“Yep!” She quipped, ”quite a few pirate captains want you.”

That was not good news. Not at all.

“Tir… We need maps of strongholds and a safe passage; I need to reach the master and the school. Don't worry, I have a steamboat,” Aelathane finally gathered her wits and spoke, still a bit flushed. Did she actually enjoy it?

“That’s not a problem, even though it will cost you,” she answered as she sat down, the wooden chair creaked under her weight but held. She grabbed the brandy and bottomed it down, while the waiter was already handing her another one.

Bread took down her helmet and happily dug in her half-metre long grilled fish. Vlad joined her and analysed it.

  [Recipe analysed: tuna, seaweed. Added to Encyclopaedia.]

It was clean, with no added dangerous substances. He decided to trust the orcette a bit.

“Now, on a more serious note; between the Grand Orcen Empire and the Land of Alavanar relationship have worsened again in the past month or so,” the smile on Tirian’s meaty face disappeared.

“That makes sense. When we left over three months ago, we met another devil, Miaras The Succubus and we know that another one came,” Aelathane shared a little bit of info.

“Maybe another war?” Bread asked with her mouth full.

“Possible, cutie. The Elves and Humans no longer have a cordial relationship and the Alliance has dissolved. Also, the Whispering sea is strangely calm for quite some time. On the other hand, the Blood Steppes became extremely rowdy. 

“What about Necropolises? Will they join the fray if it comes to it?”

“Hard to say… Lately, they have bolstered their defences and are hiring pirates in droves.”

“So, probably not… That is bad! These are the times when we miss space magic…” Aelathane sighed and Vladimir nervously shifted as he reminisced about his first and last teleportation.

“Want to say something?” His movement did not escape the attention of the orcette.

“No…” He said, nervousness dripping from his voice. Then, something important struck him, “wait! Everybody must know my face, right?”

“Of course, Hero!” She reached into her cleavage and handed him a poster. It was the same poster he had seen in the Koul’E.

“Uhm, Hero? Why did I hear that big ‘H’ there?” Vlad asked as his mind froze momentarily.

Aelathane blinked, while Bread just smiled as if she knew something already. 

“Oh, that’s rich! HAHAHA!” The Loony Voice laughed, hard.

 

0