Chapter Three: Risks and Rewards
47 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Calmly the sun sets while the last rays of light showered the land as I sat quietly in the shadow of a beautiful tree. My gaze traveled through the sky bathed with the warm colors of Autumn as my mind kept walking to places I'd never known. The maids have it rough, we barely have any time to catch our breath with all the things we have to do. Even though it is not that awful in here, the mansion is quiet as it harbors the silent desires of all the young hearts it shelters. Nothing good comes without a price though, I am well aware of the risks all those girls are taking.
When I saw Malu's expression earlier I understood what the Ice Knight had told me yesterday night. The majority of the maids are pretty and polite in order to earn favor in this house. Most likely they intended to marry someone rich or even try to improve their family financial situation or status.
Still, I cannot bring myself to accept that we have to resource to such sorrowful methods to be able to achieve something in this world. 'Were we born into the wrong family or were they the lucky ones?' I thought as I leaned my body onto the hard tree. It's neither luck neither faith that have hands with this doing, it is the system that the nobles created to maintain their power through generations, an unbreakable toy, forever walking in the same direction.

The chirping of the birds suddenly stopped and, for some unknown reason, my eyes looked to the green grass that covered the brown dirt. A handful of small sparrows had gathered around me, staring at me with their deep dark eyes while tilting their heads to the side time and time again. They weren't moving away but their little legs wouldn't approach me more either, it was almost as if they were waiting for something.
I lean forward and approach one of the birds slowly so that they wouldn't get scared and fly away. The small creature grew closer as it made some little jumps and, soon enough found its way to my hand. His feathers were soft and he looked so fragile that I was frightened to hurt him in any way if I moved. His small head continued to rub into my hand and, when I noticed he flew right into my palm, grabbing my fingers with its feet.
Some of the sparrows started to get closer to me while others were already on my body, rubbing their small feathery heads onto my clothes. They were happily chanting a song as the sky grew darker.
"I wish they could see it," I whisper as I approach the bird on my finger to my cheek as I felt my eyes starting to water up.
Out of a sudden, a shiver runs down my spine and all the birds leave restlessly as a cold breeze blows strongly. 'Am I being watched?' was the first thing that slipped my mind. Hurriedly I got up and looked around but no one was found, however, once I looked up towards the library window of the mansion I had a feeling within my gut. There was no one there right now but I am pretty sure that a couple of seconds ago, that wasn't the case.

"Go tell Sir Feng that the dinner is ready," Malu states as we finish placing all the tableware. Quickly she straightened her maid dress and pinched her cheeks as she started to head outside. I walked slowly behind her as she cheerfully made herself up onto the second floor.
I lose sight of her once she goes inside Qin Mue's chambers and so, I continue to walk until I reach the tall dark wooden door that sealed the Ice Knight's study room. I knock softly but get no response. I try a second time with a bit more strength however the silent continued to be the ruler.
For some seconds I considered leaving but for what I've been told this is the place where the Ice Knight usually is, unlike his half-brother that is continuously outside in town or his bedroom with the maids.
I knock on the door for the third time and, as no sound was created on the other side I open the door slowly. The room itself was large but the books and papers that covered the floor made it seem as if it was as small as my room. I looked around and, after walking a bit further inside I see him laying down on a beautiful bright red couch.
Lu Feng was currently resting and his face looked almost like an angel. His blonde curly hair was messy and his attire was somewhat sloppy but, at the same time, he looked peaceful. That's something impossible to see if he is wide awake with those frozen blue eyes.
I was definitely out of place and, maybe, in a way, exceeded my boundaries. As I slowly turn and start to walk away I hear the sound of someone yelling. My heart starts beating fast and my body starts running on its own.
"Who yelled?" I kept asking the same question over and over again until I reached Qin Mue's door. I had no idea where the scream came from but somehow I knew where it was. Somehow my body knew where to go. Without thinking about anything else I open it and the scenery in front of me makes me want to throw up my guts.
Malu was naked on the floor, covered with bruises and cuts on her body. Her face looked lifeless even though she was still alive and tears still scrolled down her face. As I have a closer look I realize she has an extremely large wooden piece inserted in her as blood was pouring out. 'He ripped her insides,' I think as my vision turns blurry from the shock.
My body was trembling so much.
Her figure, laying on the floor, hopeless reminded me of Stella's. On that dreadful morning, she was dead, broken inside and out. Her body was used and abused, bruised and cut. My beautiful sister turned into a shattered glass that can never be fixed again.
Anger.
Despair.
Murder.
Those were the things that my soul yearned for.
'This is not human, this is pure torture,' it was boiling inside me, these dangerous thoughts. I wanted to kill him now, I want to end his existence right at this moment before he does any harm to someone else. I want him to disappear from existence.
I look towards the bed just to see Qin Mue's involved only in his crimson robe as he drank a glass of red wine, comfortably and with a pleased smile on his lips. A bit to his left I see Qian approaching casually from a darker area in the room, normally dressed with a calm and cold smile on her face as she placed her arms around him. Both of them were chuckling and whispering things I couldn't hear, almost as if this was pure entertainment.
"What happened?" I question as I look right into Qian's eyes just to see her sit beside Qin Mue on the bed and hold his cup.
"We were only playing a game" she replies right before her lips taste the fine wine.
"This is a game to you?" I feel my fists tighten as I controlled my anger from beating those two into a pulp.
"What else could it be Ling?" she asks me innocently as Qin Mue grabs her face and kisses her forcefully. He then looks at me and, after getting up, starts approaching my side.
"You know, I could give you the honor of losing your flower to me girl. It will be much better than dying without ever trying the forbidden fruit right?" he sarcastically asks as he places his hand on my chin while lifting my head.
"I'm sorry Sir Mue but I am allergic to fruits" I spit as I caged all my emotions inside. I have to hold on. I can't give in.
'Right now you are too young for my taste but in a couple of years, I will make sure you swallow those words' Qin thought.
"We will see how long that will last girl" his lips portrait a cold smirk as he returns to bed and starts focusing his attention on Qian. Soon their lips were changing saliva as if nothing had happened.
"Malu! Hang on!" I yell as I kneel beside her and try to wake her up from her trance. She didn't move an inch or even said a word. I hurriedly get up and undress the maid uniform I was using leaving only my undergarments. "This might hurt, I'm sorry," I whisper as I start carefully dressing her enough so that her small body would be covered from the eyes of the curious.
She is taller than me, and bigger too, I don't think I can carry her but I can't leave her here either. I place her arms around my neck and grab her waist. She wouldn't walk so I'd have to drag her body to Mrs. Dae.
Every step I would take my body would feel heavier. The air was getting thicker and harder to breathe. My strength was failing me and I haven't even gotten to the stairs.
The frustration started to hit deeper. 'Why is this house so big?' and 'Why isn't the shack closer?' were some of the thoughts that were rampaging through my mind.
Suddenly the weight is lifted and, as I look up, I see Lu Feng carrying Malu gently. Somehow I let out a breath of relief as my body grew lighter.
'Who'd thought she could run that fast? And just to intervene in this matter, what a weird girl' he wondered as his eyes looked around to see all the other maids ignoring the situation.
"Come," he says to me as he kept on walking towards Mrs. Dae's shack.

"Again?" she questions while letting out a small sigh as she sees Malu's condition. "Sir Feng please take her to the room on the left, sorry for this disturbance," she proceeds as he walks out of Mrs. Dae's office.
"Mrs. Dae what did you mean by that?" I question her hurriedly as she shoves me away.
"If you have time to chit chat then go find the doctor!" she yells at me and I could understand the frustration that was hiding behind her loud voice.
After a couple of minutes, I return with Mue's family doctor as we both enter the room. He was carrying a big bag with several different medicines, at least that's what I am assuming. Even though he was already old he looked polite and wise. In fact, when I approached him he agreed to help straight away even though, it is not exactly his obligation since Malu is not connected to the Mue's family by blood.
Lu Feng was nowhere to be found while Mrs. Dae was cleaning the blood out of Malu's naked body.
"Please leave. Only Dae and I should stay. This is no place for children" he states as I quietly leave the room and stay in the cold hall.

Seconds turned to minutes and minutes turned to hours. The sun was starting to rise as I wake up to some low voices coming from inside the room. I got up and fixed my bloody undergarments as I waited patiently for Mrs. Dae and the doctor to come out.
"It's up to fate now," says the doctor as the door opens. Both look at me dumbfounded and for some seconds don't say a single word.
"Did you stay here all night?" asks Mrs. Dae as the doctor lets go of a small chuckle. I nod timidly. 'Was she going to reprimand me?' I wondered as my body eagerly waited for her reaction. She lets out a small sigh as her hands slowly massaged her neck.
"You've got yourself a good one this time Dae," he says as he walks by me with a kind smile, petting my hair slightly. Soon after his figure disappears and I am left with Mrs. Dae alone.
She looks to the window and, as the sky started to glow orange she walks towards a small cabinet. Afterward, she removes a big jacket and gives it to me. For a couple of seconds, I was confused, didn't exactly knew what she meant by this but I ended up dressing it and follow her outside.
Mrs. Dae then sits down on the dirt and I do the same thing.
"Everyone is fighting for something Ling. What they do, is just the means to get it. I'm sure you understand that" she states as the sun rays start to appear from within the leaves of the trees. 'This poor girl will be suffering a lot now, even I can't defy Qian' Mrs. Dae thinks as her knees bounce side to side softly.
"I do Mrs. Dae but how worth is fighting for something that will taint your soul?" I reply as a soft smile emerges from her lips. 'I see, I finally understand. You fight for righteousness and not for power. I will at least help you in any way I can' her face brightens up as she comes to this realization within her mind.
"What if there are no souls? Only risks and rewards. That's how it is here" she sighs and then proceeds. "This wasn't the first and it won't be the last. If you do as I told you then you will be fine. Don't stand out." she states.
"Yes. Thank you, Mrs. Dae" I say as I slowly get up.

3