Prologue
219 0 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I'm here, sir. I just arrived."

Stepping out of the taxi after paying my fare, I called Mr. Apollo and informed him of my arrival.

I was standing in front of JFK International Airport. I was sent here to complete a very important task. 

Possibly world-changing.

[...Good. I've received reports from Darwin and Finch. They're at their assigned locations and are already commencing stage one of the operation.]

A deep and aged voice was heard from the other side of the phone. He's the one in charge of the operation.

He's my boss, as well as my benefactor, Mr. Apollo.

I don't know what his actual name is. When I asked he simply said that his name was Apollo and that's it, I didn't question it.

He saved me when I was at my lowest. When others didn't want to help me, he did. Without him, I'd be dead somewhere right now.

Despite never meeting the other three, I'm sure they felt the same way as well.

He gave our life purpose, stability.

And to repay this kindness, I'm willing to do anything.

"Roger that. I'm heading in now."

With my phone in one hand, I enter the airport.

CLAMOR!

And upon entering, the sounds of multiple voices assailed me. 

I saw tourists wearing their 'I ❤NY' shirts and baseball caps, families leaving the airport with smiles of expectation on their faces, and security guards on their walkie-talkies patrolling the airport.

"It's quite loud in here."

I mumbled out in slight amazement.

I've only been to the airport three times in my life. One was for a family vacation when I was a kid and the other two were business trips I 'voluntarily' went on.

...Fucking assholes.

[That's good. The more people there are, the better. You've already injected yourself right?]

Hearing my mumbling, Apollo coldly asked. 

"Yes. It's been eight days since I was injected. It can happen any time now."

Nodding my head out of habit, I calmly said to him. There were times where I'd suddenly have the shakes followed by a surge of intense rage. As if I hated every human being on earth.

It's only a matter of time. I can feel it.

[Then according to my calculations then it should be almost time. Goodbye.]

Apollo then goes to hang up, but before he could...

"Before you go, can I ask a question…?"

I had a question to ask. It's been on my mind for some time now.

[...What is it?]

"Seeing how this'll be the last time I'll be able to speak to you, I've always wanted to know, why?"

Why was he doing all this?

And as soon as I said that, I immediately got my answer. 

[Because some people just want to watch the world burn. This society failed me just like it failed you, it took away my joy, my happiness… I'm just returning the favor. Simple as that.]

"... I see."

Did he just quote Alfred?

[Does this answer not satisfy you?]

"No. On the contrary, it's the opposite. It's a motive I can get behind. I want to watch the whole world burn as well."

[That's good to hear… Well, goodbye, Asclepius.]

"Goodbye, Mr. Apollo."

I then hung up and looked at my now black phone screen.

"..."

Although it was a little hard to see, the whites of my eyes were red and my face was gradually turning pale.

I'm starting to feel violent impulses towards the bystanders as they walk pass.

"Here it comes. Cough."

Taking note of my physical changes, I placed my phone on a nearby bench and walked towards the most crowded part of the airport.

I won't be needing it anymore. 

13