Chapter 2
204 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"It's a good thing I made it in time."

Standing in line with my helmet on, I said in relief as I looked at the row of people behind me. I'm currently in third place in a line that's holding nine people.

Because this was a small cafe, there weren't that many tables here, only three. Unfortunately for the people who like to sit around and enjoy their coffee, the tables were already filled.

"Can I get a large cappuccino and a bagel?"

"With cream cheese spread?"

"Yeah."

"That'd be $3.99, please."

After the first person ordered their stuff and left, the second person in line ordered theirs. She was a girl in her early twenties with short red hair and piercings in her ears. She's also sporting a green bomber jacket, a pair of black ripped jeans, and some boots that look like they'll bust an unsuspecting playboy's balls with ease.

Are they steel toes?

"Okay."

The girl then pulls out her card and swipes it on the card scanner.

"...Uh, it says your card is declined."

The middle-aged barista, who went by the name of Hank, told the girl with an awkward smile.

"Seriously? Lemme try it again."

Not believing Hank's words, the girl swipes her card again. And the result was…

"Your card is declined."

The same as the previous one, her card declined.

"Pfft!"

Seeing the embarrassing situation she was in, the guy behind me tried to stifle their laughter before ultimately failing.

"Who the fuck laughed?! Was it you?"

Throwing a ferocious glare at me as she mistakenly thought I laughed, she questioned. Her ears were turning red from embarrassment.

"It wasn't me. It was this dude behind me."

Within a heartbeat, I stepped to the side and gave up the guy behind me.

This lady has a fiery temper. I'm not risking my nuts getting kicked in by those boots in her rampage.

"You think it's funny laughing at my misfortune, huh?"

"I-I'm sorry!"

"Fuck your sorry! You wanna fight?!"

As the red-headed girl grabbed the dude who was laughing in schadenfreude…

"What's up, Hank?"

I walked up and ordered my coffee.

"Nothing much since I'm a barista and all. Hey, didn't I tell you not to walk in here with your helmet on?"

Seeing me with my black helmet on, Hank remarked. 

"Well, if a certain someone would dim their lights a little bit, I wouldn't be wearing it."

Flipping the smoked visor, I showed him my red eyes, pointed at his store lights, and complained.

Because of my hangover, light sources today are particularly bright. One look at them gives me a headache. My only source of eye protection was my helmet that had a smoked visor on it.

"Well, due to business purposes that certain someone can't do that… Hand me your thermos and I'll fill it up for you. The usual right?"

"Yea. Straight black. While you're at it…"

Glancing back at the scary woman who was still jacking that poor soul up, I gave Hank the thermos I usually keep in my backpack and whispered to him.

"Add that lady's stuff to my order. That way, things won't get out of hand."

It's too early in the morning for all this arguing.

"Got it. All together that'll be $5.89."

"Here's $20. Take the rest as a tip."

Pulling out a $20 from my wallet, I handed it to him.

"Feeling quite generous today, huh?"

Pouring the coffee into my thermos and making change with the $20, Hank said with a smile.

Shrugging my shoulders, I took the thermos, screwed the top back on, and said casually.

"Chalk it up as being too lazy to put the change back into my wallet."

"Isn't it easier using your card then?"

"But how will you get your tips then Hank? Be thankful I'm looking out for you."

"Haha, you're a funny guy. I don't need your tips. I do this as a hobby."

"Yeah, a hobby of checking out the uni-girls that come here. Haha, I'll see you later, Hank."

Waving my hand at him, I walk towards the exit. While I was doing this…

"Here's $20. I initially didn't want to use it since I didn't want to break it. But since I forgot to load money onto my card…"

The red-headed girl goes to pay for her coffee and breakfast. But before she could, Hank stopped her and said.

"Don't worry about it. The gentleman hopping on his bike out there paid it for you."

"Eh?"

The girl then turns towards me with a surprised expression. But sadly, before I could get a good glimpse of her face, I was pulling out onto the street. 

I would stay and try to get her number but I'm a little scared of her temper. I like a feisty tomboy more than the next guy but It takes a certain person to grab a man by the collar and demand a fight.

So, off to Paradiso University, I go.

***

"It took you long enough, EZ. It's almost time for class to start."

Arriving at the campus parking lot and parking next to a Honda Civic, a girl leaning on the side of it said to me with a smirk.

She had long, messy, black hair, black-rimmed glasses, amethyst purple eyes, and a small beauty mark below her right eye.

She was a beautiful girl.

To make things better, this was my friend. Her name was Eleanor Dawson. Nora for short. We've been friends ever since I was a freshman. I'm a sophomore now and she's a junior, making her my senior.

However, I'm still older than her. I'm 24 while she's 22.

"It's only 7:45. I still got fifteen minutes to spare."

Flipping my visor and looking at my watch, I say to Nora with a smile. Fifteen minutes is more than enough to get to class.

"Where's Nate?"

Looking around I asked. We usually meet up here before class starts. I didn't see him anywhere.

"I don't know. I don't keep track of him. The last I saw him was when you two left after school to celebrate his 22nd birthday. You guys must've got pretty wasted last night."

"...Yes. Very wasted. To the point where I'm staving off drinking and partying for a while."

Waking up, butt-ass naked in the middle of the kitchen isn't a very good feeling to have.

Of course, I won't tell her that. 

I'll take what happened at my apartment to my grave.

"Speaking of partying, you were quite wasted last night. You called my phone at 2 am this morning complaining about how the stove won't cook your pancakes."

"..."

I… don't remember that part. C-could there be anything else I don't remember!

"Why are you clutching your head? Got a hangover?"

Seeing me grab my helmet due to fear of not knowing what else I possibly could've done last night, Nora asked.

"Yes. A very bad one at that."

Before I could respond to her question, a familiar voice answered the question before me. Turning our head towards the voice, we see a brownish-blonde-haired guy wearing shades with a haggard expression.

This guy is my childhood friend of seventeen years, Nathan Witherspoon. 

"Light's kicking your ass too, huh?"

Pointing at his shades I asked. 

"No kidding. Is this how vampires feel when they meet sunlight? No wonder they prowl the streets at night. My eyes are killing me."

Nate then shields his eyes as the sun's rays shine on him. Understanding his pain, I said sympathetically.

"Sigh, I feel you. I don't plan on partying again anytime soon so don't ask me to celebrate your birthday next year. I'm just gonna give your ass $30 and go about my way."

"Instead of $30, how about letting me drive your Panigale around. I've always wanted to ride it."

Staring at my bike, which was a Ducati Panigale, Nate said with eyes full of desire. Seeing this, I shook my head and said flatly.

"No."

"...I expected as much. Give me enough time, I'll ride it one day."

"The only time that'll happen is when you pay me more than what I paid, which was a lot."

I'm talking a little over thirty thousand dollars here. 

"Must be nice having all that army money. I'm jealous."

"Nah, this is contractor money. Uncle Sam pays big bucks to have people like protecting their squints while on assignments that should I say, fly under the radar."

It's a popular job for veterans for nothing. It pays BIG bucks.

"Black ops?"

With eyes full of curiosity, Nora asks. 

"According to my NDA, I cannot confirm such things but I can say this, perhaps."

Kidnapping and extracting information from high-value targets, guarding CIA assets to conducting direct action raids, within a year, I've done all those things.

And I must say, the check I got at the end of it was very nice. To the point where I was contemplating on whether or not this should be a lifetime career.

But luckily I came to my senses and decided against it. Call me paranoid but I don't want to one day end up dead because I saw something I wasn't supposed to see.

I'm not Frank Moses, I don't have friends in high places. 

While we three were talking...

"By the way, have you guys heard about the attack at JFK airport eleven days ago? That stuff is wild!"

"I know! I saw the video. The news said two people, the suspect, and a victim were killed and six injured. They think it was a last-ditch effort from the attacker because he was sick or something. His face was pale-looking and had sores on his body. Talk about crazy!"

Two college students walked by talking about the incident that happened at JFK. I saw the video as well.

It was crazy.

A crazed man entered JFK Airlines and started attacking innocent bystanders. He started swinging on them before ultimately deciding to bite one in the neck, tearing off flesh.

Poor woman, she was a grandmother of four.

When people pulled him off her, he started biting them as well. In that altercation, one guy lost his finger and five others got bit aad deep scratch marks on their skin. As if to spite them, the attacker also spat blood onto them and the crowd looking.

Fortunately, the police arrived and took him down with two well-placed shots to the chest. Reporters said he died with a smile on his face, mumbling about how he wished he could continue watching the world as it goes up in flames.

Guess he was bitter about his plight to the end.

Sigh, may he and the grandmother rest in peace.

"This world is getting crazier and crazier."

Remembering the incident, Nora said as she shook her head and sighs.

"I just hope by the time the world needs a straight jacket, I'm dead in the dirt overlooking a beautiful sunset..."

In full agreement at Nora's words, I replied nodding. I don't want to experience a world that needs shock therapy to straighten itself out.

"Preferably when I'm old first. I wanna have a full life first."

I added. If I can get past a hundred and then die, I'd be satisfied.

"Same. I want to live to be as old as my grandpa. He lived to be 105 years old. I miss him."

Nate said with a sad smile. This guy loved his grandfather. I remember him coming back from vacations at his grandparents telling me his grandpa's WW2 war stories.

He was enthralled with them.

"Well with medical technology getting better, the goal of being a centenarian isn't far off...Oh, shit! We're about to be late for class! I'll see you guys at lunch."

Glancing at her phone with a surprised expression, Nora said frantically before retrieving her notebooks from her car.

Looking at my watch, I check the time as well. It was five minutes to eight.

Shit! We spent too much time talking here.

"I'll catch you on the flip side!" 

Like Nora, I adjusted my backpack and sped off to class.

"Dammit! I just got here! I didn't even bring my books!"

I heard Nate's grief-stricken voice as he ran towards his classes.

Hangover or not, I can't be late for a second time!

11