063. Adam and Known Strangers
492 2 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The mountain path did not slow them, for the mountain yaks were now in their element, and Jon was a hearty young boy. The princess had also slowed her crying, as Rojer and Elowen played with her during their breaks. Her babbling would often be heard, along with Redboulder's response. 

Adam would send Bandlor to scout around, oftentimes sending the god-owl in the opposite direction of Ylra. The half-elf and the owl were able to keep them safe from any enemies. 

The howling of mountain wolves would sometimes accompany them in their travels, and they had even come across a small pack. Ylra shared some of their food with the wolves, who left a pair of wolves to accompany them for the day, before they two left. 

"I hope we meet a few more mountain wolves along our trek," Ylra said. "Their company would allow our travels to continue moving as safely as it has been so far."

"Do they ward off other dangers?' Adam asked. 

Ylra nodded. "They would alert us to any danger, and sometimes their presence alone would keep away certain creatures. We would be able to defeat most things we come across, but there is no need to take gifts which we can avoid."

'Adam, I have found a nearby village.' Bandlor dropped onto Adam's head. 'It is in ruins, but there are tracks leading away in many different directions.' 

Adam kept it to himself, as Jon was nearby and there was no need to frighten the boy any further than he already was. Though he was a giant, he was still a boy, a lone boy separated from his parents. 

As Jon and Redboulder left to bathe, Adam sighed. "There's another village up ahead. It seems we are too late, though." 

Ylra and Elowen both looked at Adam in surprise. "A ruined village?" Ylra asked. "Was there a mound in the centre?"

'Yes.'

"Yes," Adam replied, following Bandlor's lead. 

"Another My'dai attack…" Ylra said, brushing a strand of hair behind her ear. She fell into deep thought. 

"The villages should have news of the giants' attacks," Elowen said. "They may be convening together towards their largest villages in order to create a greater defense." 

"If the mud giants are so powerful they can easily roll through several villages in a row, could they defend themselves?" Adam asked.

"I'm sure they could. Those born within the mountains are great warriors usually. We found little evidence of many dying in the fight last time, and I'm sure it'll be the case this time. If that's the case, they should be strategically retreating to larger villages, or a stronghold." 

Adam thought about the Iyrmen and their strongholds. "If that's the case, it might be difficult to find them, unless we had someone from one of the villages."

"We may have been able to slow down the My'dai," Ylra said, escaping from her thoughts. "If they have found three of their own missing, then they may have slowed down."

"I'll have Hades scout out further ahead whenever we move." Adam looked towards the pair of towers he summoned. If only he could summon a much taller tower, then he'd be able to survey the surroundings. 

When morning came, Ylra and Elowen left for a short while to scout out the village. Adam had wanted to go, but he felt as though his firepower would be useful in protecting the two children within their company. 

The pair of half-elves returned midway through breakfast, though they did not report their findings. Eventually the group packed up and moved along. 

They moved in such a way over the days. They would break bread in the morning and in the evening, as though they were family, and would often share their stories with one another. Jon grew warmer towards them as the days passed by, opening up to speak with the group whenever they stopped for their breaks.

He spoke of his mother and father, of his many siblings, and of those within his village. His parents were a pair of hunters who would often leave to slay some beast or another to bring back. They had slain many beasts, and were given certain privileges within their village. His eyes glittered with pride whenever he spoke of them, and Adam couldn’t help but smile. 

The mood within the party darkened when Ylra returned from one of her scouting trips, guiding the group around their path, indicating what Ylra had found. She did not speak of it, but when there was a question in the group’s eyes, she merely nodded. 

‘Smoke up ahead,’ Bandlor thought into Adam’s mind as he landed atop the half-elf’s head. 

“There’s some smoke up ahead,” Adam said to Ylra, who nodded her head. She melted into her mountain yak and then darted away. Bandlor leapt off of Adam’s head and flew off after her. 

Adam reached for his shield. A horn blasted in the distance and Adam stood up straight, his eyes falling to Elowen, who sped forward on her yak. Adam looked to Redboulder and Jon, before then riding after Elowen and Rojer.

They rode for a long while, soon finding Ylra hiding behind a tree, loosening arrows over the rocks. Elowen leapt off her yak with fey elegance, and Adam shuffled off his own yak. 

‘Now that’s a fight!’ Bandlor thought, flying overhead. 

Adam dashed beside Ylra, reaching down for one of his javelins. He peered around the rock to a group of six humans, each donned within heavy furs, with a myriad of weapons, facing against three mud giants wielding trees as clubs. The humans were lean, and fought with a controlled savagery, whereas the mud giants were chunky, and fought with a wild savagery. 

Ylra continued to rain arrows ahead, and as Adam made to toss his javelin, he stopped. The humans had all but defeated the mud giants, and as the last giant fell, two of them turned towards Adam and his group, their eyes filled with suspicion.

There was a familiarity with these strangers that Adam could feel. Their lean bodies, their heavy furs, their dark hair, and their dark eyes. 

“Oh, you’re Iyrmen?” Adam asked.

The man nodded. “We are,” he replied, “and who are you, stranger?”

“I’m Adam, an adventurer from Red Oak.”

The Iyrman nodded again. “You are a long way from Red Oak, Adam of the Bronze.”

“I’d say the same to you.” Adam smiled. “I didn’t expect to find any so far north.” His eyes scanned the mud giants. “I see you’ve come across a few of the giants.”

The Iyrman looked around the rest of the party, and as Redboulder approached with the princess, the Iyrman’s eyes fell across the large form of Jon. 

“An ice giant boy?” The Iyrman kept his eyes on Jon.

“We found him a few days ago,” Elowen said. “We should find a safer place to speak with one another, there may be more My’dai around.”

“If they appear, we will deal with them,” the Iyrman said.

“We have two children with us,” Adam said, “and we would prefer to not put them in danger. We’d like to ask you for some assistance in the matter, if that’s fine. I’d also like to share some stories with you as well.”

The Iyrman nodded, and the group left, leaving the mud giants where they lay. They shifted between the trees with ease before finding a collection of rocks they could use as shelter. 

“I am Lotag,” the lean Iyrman said. 

“It’s a pleasure to meet you,” Adam replied. “What brings you Iyrmen so far north?”

“We had some business to attend to,” Lotag said. “What of you?”

“We are here on some business as well,” Elowen said, “though we have been sidetracked. We have found this young giant by his lonesome some time ago.”

“The boy is named Jon, yes?”

“That’s right,” Elowen replied, bowing her head. 

“We have met with his people. They have asked us to return the boy if we found him.”

“Oh,” Adam replied. “Well that’s fortunate.”

“Would you be willing to take us to his village?” Elowen asked. “We have some business with his people.”

“We will take you,” Lotag said. 

“Thank you,” Elowen replied. “I am Elowen, and these are my companions.” Elowen introduced her party to the Iyrmen. 

“This is my brother, Rotag.” Lotag motioned towards another who looked extremely similar to the Iyrman. He introduced his other companions as well, another man by the name of Ildian, and three women, Imazan, Ifkel, and Nirot. 

Adam narrowed his eyes at the last name. “Nirot?” Adam asked. The young woman looked up at Adam. She was no doubt in her teens, though she held a familiar set of dark eyes. She wore heavy cloaks and at her side she carried with her a pair of javelins, a shield, and an axe.

“What is it that you need?” she asked, the corners of her lips falling into a scowl.

“Are you Mirot’s daughter?” Adam asked.

“You know of my mother?” Nirot’s eyes face fell into surprise. 

“Yes I do,” he replied. “I was welcomed as a guest by the Rot family.” Adam paused for a moment. “How long have you been out of the Iyr for?” he asked cautiously.

“We have been travelling for many months,” Nirot said, thinking. 

“I see…” Adam replied back, his eyes falling across the Iyrmen. “Then let me share a few stories with you all.”

“It would be an honour,” Lotag said as they began to set up their cooking supplies.

Adam began to recount the tale of how he met with Jurot, and the pair of quests that they had taken together. He needed a moment to pause as his throat tightened, but he sighed. 

“What?!” Nirot exclaimed, standing up. “Do not speak to me with such lies!” She grabbed onto her axe and pointed it towards Adam. 

“I’m not lying,” Adam retorted, surprised by her sudden outburst. The Iyrmen had always taken great pride in Jurot’s death, and yet Nirot was eager to strike him down for it.

“Cousin Jurot would never lose to any brown bears!”

“We had just defeated a herbearvore, and then the brown bears appeared. I wasn’t able to save him, but I fought to guide him home.”

Nirot narrowed her eyes. “What are the colours of our family?”

Adam needed a moment to recollect. “Your mother’s colours were black and red, and Sonarot’s were white and blue.”

“You speak true,” Nirot said, sheathing her axe and then sitting back down. She crossed her arms. “Tell me the story.”

Adam continued the story, speaking about the undead and his journey to the Iyr, and then the fight to guide Jurot back. He continued along to speak of what had been happening around the Iyr, thought kept part of it vague. 

“I can’t say any more,” he said. “Asomin has asked for the story to be buried.”

“If the story is to be buried, we will not ask of it,” Lotag said. “It is fate which has brought us here together, that is for certain.”

“Oh!” Adam said, recalling an important part of the story he had left out. “Sonarot also has another child, Lanarot.”

Nirot, whose face was as sour as a lemon, threw her eyes towards Adam. “A daughter?”

“That’s right.”

Nirot sat a little taller now. “We should bring her a gift upon our return.”

Lotag rubbed his chin. “We have a few items with us, but hearing this news… perhaps we should go hunt a wyvern?”

Nirot’s eyes sparkled. “Yes, let us go slay a wyvern.”

“No, you will be unable to assist us.” Lotag pet her head. “The chances of your death would be too high.”

Nirot clicked her teeth but did not protest as she slunk again, her face sour once more. 

They also shared their stories with Adam and the rest of the group, speaking of their journey. They had gone far north to slay a Vulfaire, though they had not come across one. Instead they had come across an ice salamander, which they had to retreat from. 

An Iyrman, retreating?

“Perhaps we will return to face it once you have passed your rites,” Lotag said, petting Nirot’s head again. 

“Will you leave it for so long?” Nirot asked.

“Perhaps not.” Lotag chuckled. 

The group ate with one another, sharing their meat and bread. Redboulder took watch with an Iyrman as the rest enjoyed their food.

“We did not know you had such close ties with the Iyrmen,” Elowen said. “We had thought to find them to ask for their aid in our journey, though eventually thought against it.”

“I stayed with them for some time. They are a hospitable people, or at least they were for me. You can find a few of them at one of the adventuring guilds now and again.”

“You have quite the story,” Elowen said. 

“Is that a good thing or a bad thing?”

“A good thing, for now.”

Eventually Adam summoned the towers, allowing the Iyrmen to bathe away their fatigue. They had been surprised by Adam’s casting, and were even more surprised when two towers sprung out from nothing.

“You are not a warrior?” Lotag asked.

“I am, but I know some magic.” Adam shrugged.

“Adam is an enigma,” Ylra said, smiling wide. “He will continue to surprise you, though soon you’ll learn to accept it.”

Lotag stared down at Adam, a keen look in his eyes. Adam found the look to be familiar, and then realised what it was after a few moments.

“No,” Adam said. “I’m not interested in fighting you.”

Lotag frowned. 

“I still owe Iromin and Asomin their fights,” he said.

“Iromin?” Lotag asked, his brows raised in surprise. “He has asked to face you?”

“Yeah, but he’s too scary for my liking.”

“I wish to fight you even more,” Lotag said.

Adam sighed, shaking his head. “Of course you do…”

The Iyrmen accepted Adam’s offer of hospitality, using the ground floor to bathe, and then the first floor of the tower to sleep. The groups set their watches, one for each tower. Adam remained on the ground floor of the second tower with Jon, Redboulder, and Rojer. 

“To think you would even know the Iyrmen,” Rojer said. “I don’t think we should be surprised.”

“Should I apologise?” Adam asked, smiling. 

“No. Next you’ll tell us you are a dragon.”

“Well, I’ve met a couple.” Adam smiled. “Though I’ve only helped kill one.”

“You’ve met more? What kind of dragon?” Rojer asked, sitting up with intrigue.

“Well…” Adam thought about how much he wanted to say. Entalia probably would have preferred he kept her a secret. “I can’t really say, I think.” 

“If that is what you wish.” Rojer pulled away. 

“Three dragons is enough for me for now, not until I can meet one who is nice.” Adam could only hope he could find a dragon who wasn’t as weird as Entalia. “One that doesn’t want to eat me.”

 

[[Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition Iyrmen!]]

23