071. Adam and Leaving
418 7 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Adam awoke in a cold sweat in the morning. He looked around to see the darkness all around him, seeing the figures nearby. There was Entalia sleeping right beside him, who he pulled away from, and then he rolled over onto his side to see everyone else. Redboulder, Elowen, Ylra, Rojer, the child. Right, right… everything was fine. He was with his allies and they were safe.

His sleep had been dark, as it had been so far, and yet there was something different about it tonight. There had been a premonition that he felt right in his core. What was the feeling? Why was he getting it? What could possibly go wrong? He rubbed his eyes, trying to rub his weariness away.

‘You’re shaken,’ Bandlor said.

‘Yeah, I don’t know. Something’s up, but I can’t put my finger on it.’

‘You think too much.’

‘I try to do that.’

‘You should stop thinking.’

‘Well… if I stopped thinking, I won’t be able to talk to you.’

‘That would be fine for me.’

Adam clasped his fingers together, as though to snap them. ‘Don’t test me, Bandlor.’

‘I shall say the same to you.’

Adam smiled. ‘Bandlor, I like you.’ He stepped out of the building to see the pair of giants on either side. He nodded towards the pair, noting how they were the same guards who had been there since yesterday. Did these giants just not sleep?

“Good morning,” one of them whispered, or rather, spoke lowly as a giant couldn’t whisper in the traditional sense. “Did you sleep well?”

“Like baby,” Adam replied.

“So poorly? Was there something wrong?”

“Just a bad dream?”

“Bad dream? What did your dreams say?”

“Something bad, but not much else.”

“Will you speak of them?”

“They were… dark.” Adam shrugged his shoulders.

Taking the hint, the giant bowed his head. He allowed Adam to leave in peace. Adam stepped out to the soft snow, looking out towards the hall. He trekked through the white, looking around the area again. His sight was over the landscape, but his mind was inside.

Joti interrupted his thoughts. “You love to think,” he said. “My father has spoken of it.”

“Thinking is a good idea in general, what’s wrong with it?”

“Nothing. Thinking is good.”

“Your father thinks the same thing.”

“It is the role of a Prince to think, to wonder about the future, and to make sure that they are moving in the right direction.”

“Yeah. Though you’ll always fail, no matter how much you think about something, right?” Adam said.

“That is true.” Joti bowed his head and he sat down in the snow. He pulled his greatsword onto his lap and then ran a hand along the blade. “To fail is a part of life. Everyone fails.”

“Yeah, but… some failure are too much.” Adam thought about allowing so many people die could be terrible, especially when there was little need for it with a little foresight. “I think if you’re in the position of a Prince, it’s probably even more important if you don’t fail, because even the smallest failure will end up with too much death. Though most people don’t hold that position accountable.”

“There are time when it is appropriate, but you must understand that the shoulders are heavy for those burdened with such responsibility. Mistakes are for everyone, and though it may lead to one’s destruction, it may have been the best decision to make. There are very few situations where it may be the case.”

“I suppose you’re right.” Adam looked to Joti. “What’s the deal with you and your brother?”

“The deal? We have no deal with one another.”

“No, I mean… you guys seem to not like each other.”

“Gutt is my older brother. I hold a love and duty for him, and I will do so until I die. We do not agree with one another, and we may clash blades, but I believe his heart is right and he is the true heir to father’s throne.”

Adam gazed at the ice cold face of the frost giant. He did not give away any of his true thoughts, or whether what he said was his true thoughts. Frost giants did emote, but they seemed to emote differently than humans, their faces moving very little, as though frozen by the ice they inhabited.

“Do you think he’ll be a good Prince?”

“He was not trained to be until later in his life,” Joti said. “Our brother, Okar, was meant to be Prince. He was a great warrior with the most valiant heart.”

“How did he die?” Adam recalled the frost giant Prince had mentioned the death of a son in a snowstorm.

“He went out to hunt an ice wyvern for a festival. He had done so four times without any issue. We had prayed for him, and asked the Runesmiths for their favour, and yet…” Joti rubbed the side of his blade again. “The storm took him and his Runeguard.”

“Runeguard?” Adam asked. “What are they?”

“Our sworn allies and protectors. Those who will fight for us in life and death.” Joti looked out to the giant who had followed them. “She is one of mine. You had met them on your first day. Then there are the Runeguard who protect our visitors as well, like those guarding the friendhearth.”

“What is your birthright?” Adam asked. “Gutt is to be Prince, and you?”

“I will become a Helm, like that of Greffenhelm. I will be tasked with the army, to make sure that the city is safe.”

“So the Helm leads the army?”

Joti nodded his head. “One third. Another third is led by the prince, the last third by the people.”

“The people?”

“Aye. There is a vote held for when to mobilise the last third of the army. They can also be under the command of the Helm or the Prince, though that is also voted for by the people.”

“Very democratic,” Adam said. How progressive and liberal of them, though he did wonder how much power the Prince held. At least there was some level of power that the Prince didn’t hold, meaning there were most likely other checks and balances in play.

“It has been the way of our people since before our written laws,” he said. “One, two, and three,” he said. “These are the foundations of our people. Three forms of powers, three forms of warriors, three forms of home, three forms of smiths. It is to keep the balance in check.”

“It’s a great idea. I didn’t realise that you guys were so…”

“So?”

“Cool.”

“We are frost giants.” Joti seemed befuddled by the statement.

“It’s something good.”

“I will take your word for it.” Adam looked up towards the giant and then nodded.

“I was wondering where you were,” Entalia called out. She strut up to the pair of them and wrapped an arm around the half-elf. “Are you trying to steal my little Adam?”

“We were just talking,” Joti replied.

“I’m not yours either,” Adam said, frowning. Entalia had been getting too close to him, though she had been nice to assist him with his task.

“We’re going to be headed to the south soon,” Entalia said. “So don’t talk to him for too long.” Entalia looked down to Adam and smiled. “I’ll see you soon.” She pet his head and then walked out towards the hall.

“What do you call the area with the throne?” Adam asked.

“The thronehearth,” he said.

“Oh… that’s a pretty cool name.”

“Indeed, we are frost giants.”

Adam realised that using the word would be too confusing near the frost giants, though no one else seemed to understand it either. He looked to the giant greatsword Joti was holding, with the blue through the metal.

“Did you make the blade?” Adam motioned his head to the sword.

“No, I did not. It was a gift from a Runesmith.”

“Could I get a weapon from a Runesmith?”

“Are you able to? Perhaps one day. They are gifted to those the Prince deems worthy, though a nomination from a Chief also goes a long way.”

“What if I wanted to be taught how to make them?”

“Can you speak our tongue?”

“No, I can speak dwarven though.”

“Then it may not be impossible… it will be difficult, though you will have to convince a Runesmith.”

“How hard is that?”

“As hard as the earth below your feet.”

Adam looked down. “Alright,” he said, giving up on the idea. “I’d like to make a weapon for a… a friend.”

“A friend?”

“Yeah. I… I know someone who has just given birth and want to offer them a weapon. It’s an Iyrman who I have lived with for some time. I want to make a weapon which will grow with the child.”

“This is a gift for the child then?”

“Yes.”

The frost giant hummed for a moment. “Then perhaps you can ask for some assistance. We know of some techniques, and some materials, which could help you.”

“If you can do that, I’d be very thankful.”

“I will need to think of how you can earn it.”

“Please do. I’ll be returning with Entalia then.”

“Then I will speak with my Runesmith. You will need an ice wyvern magi-heart.”

“What’s that?” A magi-heart? That sounded cool. He wondered if it was something steampunk-esque.

“I believe you call it a core.”

“Oh.”

Adam left, heading back to the friendshearth. The others had awoken and were currently relaxing, speaking with one another. Entalia was missing, still at the thronehearth.

“You are leaving soon?” Elowen asked.

“Soon, when Entalia returns.”

“Then we will wish you the best of luck.” Elowen reached out a hand. Adam shook it and smiled. “You may be powerful, but please take good care of yourself. I’m sure Entalia will be a powerful ally with you, but there are some dangers which even she cannot help you with.”

“I’ll keep that in mind, but I’m sure you know what I’m like.” Adam chuckled and then nodded his head.

“Indeed we do.” Elowen smiled. “You’ll be fine.”

“I’ll return once I’m done with assisting the villagers.”

“You will return?” Elowen asked.

“I will, probably. I have a few tasks I need to complete here before I move on with my journey.”

“Then maybe you’ll wish to accompany us once more?”

“Maybe,” Adam replied. “I have some other business I’ve been waiting on. Though… your offer is still tempting.” He recalled the bag of holding that was on offer. “How long will you remain here?”

“A few months at the most.”

“Then where will you go?”

“Home.”

“Ah. Well then I am more eager to continue with you then, but I can’t tell you for sure just yet.”

Elowen nodded.

“You take good care ah yerself,” Redboulder clasped a hand on the boy’s shoulder.

“You as well, master dwarf.”

“Don’t go riding on any dragons now,” Ylra said, a smirk on her face.

Adam looked at her curiously. “Right?” Did Ylra know about Entalia? Though he had no plans on riding Entalia in any sense of the word.

“Careful with your magic,” Rojer said. “You know too much for most people.”

“I’ll keep the warning in mind.”

“Are you ready to leave?” Entalia asked, arriving from nowhere.

“I’m ready,” Adam said, nodding his head. He grabbed his gear and then waved his goodbyes.

Outside the Prince was waiting for him, as well as Joti and several of his Runeguard. They were all armoured with chain all around their body, wielding a variety of weapons, each of which were larger than Adam, and each with the veins bulging through the metal.

“We will guide you, under the Edict of Hospitality,” Joti said. “It is my duty.”

“Thank you,” Adam said.

“It will take some time,” Entalia informed him. “We can leave swiftly if it’s just the two of us.”

“We’re heading to the outpost, aren’t we?”

“No,” Entalia said, “we will be heading to the village, with your directions.”

Adam looked at her. “My directions?” He began to sweat. “I don’t really remember the direction of it entirely, but it is following the mountains.”

“Then it will be an easy matter.” Entalia grinned wide. “My abilities will come in handy.”

Adam wasn’t sure what she meant by that, but he nodded his head. He looked to the others still, who were ready to lead him to the outpost.

“I’ll leave it up to you,” he said to Entalia.

“Then we should move as swiftly as we can.” She looked to the Prince and nodded her head. “We will return in some time, I hope we will be under the Edict of Hospitality then.”

“I will keep my word, if you keep yours.”

Adam gave Entalia a look, but she just smiled the same way she always did. He was getting annoyed of her smiles, but the fear was still there. She looked towards Adam and then reached out for his hand. “Then, shall we?” she asked as innocently as she could, Adam suddenly suspicious of her hand. He reached for it anyway, feeling her gently caress his hand. Then she turned and led Adam away, holding his hand.

The pair walked away from Muten, hand in hand. Adam’s confusion only continued to grow as they did. It was awkward for Adam, and with each step, he grew the courage to ask.

“Hey Entalia?”

“Yes?”

“Why are we holding hands?”

“You gave it to me.”

“Yes, you asked me to.”

“Yes.”

“Why?”

“I wanted to hold your hand.”

“That’s all?”

“Yes.” She squeezed his hand.

“Well it’s a little awkward,” he said.

“No fear, we’ll be out of sight soon.”

“I’d rather we not hold our hands in front of people.”

“Then you’ll hold my hand when we’re alone.”

Adam pulled his hand away from her and grumbled at her. “No.”

“Well, maybe I need to hold your hand for one of my abilities?”

“Which abilities?”

“To allow you to fly.”

“I suppose that’s fine then.”

“Then hold my hand.”

He held it once more, still grumbling. She smiled at him as they continued to walk. They walked for some ways away, well out of sight of the giants. Adam waited for a long moment as they continued to step through the soft snow.

“Entalia?”

“Yes?”

“When are you going to make us fly?”

“Would you like to fly now?”

“I don’t see why not.”

“Alright,” she said. She let go of Adam’s hand and then she stretched her entire body. Adam only just realised she was not wearing her armour. “Step back, won’t you?”

Adam did as she asked. He was a little confused, since she said she needed to hold his hands. Then she spun around and her body expanded, a flash of silver filling the air. Her body was long and slender, covered in thousands of glittering silver scales. Her wings expanded out, as though stretching to break off some of her rust.

“What.” Adam stared at her.

“You’ll make me blush if you stare at me so intensely.”

Yet Adam couldn’t help himself. Right here was one of the most beautiful beings he had ever seen, so regal and gorgeous. His eyes were glued to her entire form. She smiled at him with her sharp, gem-like teeth.

“Come,” she beckoned.

“What?”

“Aren’t you going to ride me?”

“Certainly no-” Adam paused. “Oh, riding…” He turned red.

 

[[

https:%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FBNlrAOr.png

H-handholding? Lewd!

]]

 

15