074. Preparation
414 2 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Oh god…” Adam gasped, his whisper lost to the wind. 

Entalia flew over the small army of mud giants, each in their tattered robes, carrying their giant bags over their shoulder. They obviously noticed the giant dragon flying overhead, with a few of them reaching for something within their bags, and tossing rocks up towards the dragon and the half-elf. The rocks fell before they reached their intended target, and though some tossed some smaller rocks, more like large stones, Entalia swiftly spun around them. Adam clutched onto her spikes, and Entalia let out a soft giggle. 

He peered over her shoulder and noticed two figures covered by two heavy cloaks, each dark in colour. There was something about those smaller figures which reminded him of something, an eeriness which oozed from them, though the thought fell as they pulled away from the group.

It hadn’t taken long for them to see the hundreds of people moving in the distance. An arrow was let loose near them to warn them away, but Entalia drew closer. The people let out wild screams as they tried to give the dragon space. Adam leapt off the back of the dragon, and looked around to see two of the Iyrmen approach him, their faces full of recognition.

“You brought a dragon?” Lotag said.

“A friend of mine,” Adam replied. “Everyone, please meet Entalia.” Adam motioned a hand towards her. 

Entalia nodded her head towards the people. “I have come to assist you against the giants, though there seems to be a larger issue at hand.”

“What issue?” Lotag asked.

“The mud giants are in league with another force, one we haven’t figured out at the moment. They evade me still with their own abilities, and their intentions are unknown.”

“Hmmm.” Lotag narrowed his eyes as he fell into thought. “We will need to defeat them one way or another. Whether there is an unknown force or not, it changes nothing. We have promised to deal with the giants, and we will keep our word.”

“Luckily for us, we may have some extra help…” Adam looked to Entalia. “We found some… peculiar individuals.”

“Who are you calling peculiar?” Laurient asked.

The others snapped their attention to the new figures who had emerged from the trees, their shimmering silver and black armour reflecting the gentle sun, which peeked through the tree tops.  

Lotag reached down to his weapon, a wide grin appearing on his face as his Iyrmen instincts took him. Then he twitched and crossed his arms, understand the situation. Adam could see the obvious disappointment.

“Fae of old,” Lotag said. “It has been some time since we have heard of you.” His eyes fell across their armour. “I never would have thought we would meet. The stories I have heard of you, and the stories I am now able to tell…” Lotag grinned wide. 

“You are the children of Imrat then,” Laurient said. “Once we shared our lands together.” Laurient thought of another time. 

“As much as I want you two lovebirds to keep reminiscing about the past, we do have some business to attend to,” Adam said. 

“We could smell a dark, foul magic from the group,” Laurient said. “They have two members, each cloaked in something foreign, from a realm not of this land.”

“From your realm?” Lotag asked.

“No. A realm beyond.”

“Like the Breaking of old?”

“Yes, I believe so. There has been some blurring of the Veils for a little while now.”

“The blurring of the Veils? We have not heard of such a thing in some time.”

“The world has become so chaotic in recent times.”

Adam looked between the pair of them. He wanted to interrupt again, but the way they were talking sounded as though he might have had something to do with the blurring of the veils, especially when Laurient described it as chaotic. He looked towards Entalia, whose lips were curled up with a knowing smile.

‘Really? How is this still my fault?’ His heart sank, as he no longer had the guidance of Bandlor either. 

“What are your names?” Lotag asked, introducing himself and his fellow Iyrmen.

“Laurient,” he said, “and this is my brother Maurgrey.”

“Fighting alongside you will be our honour,” Nirot said excitedly, peering from behind Lotag.

“I’m surprised you can be so polite,” Adam said, looking to Laurient. “You weren’t quite so polite when you started that fight with us.”

“You are not a child of Imrat,” he said. “You show no respect to the forest.”

“I show no disrespect either.” Adam narrowed his eyes. “I try to leave the forest be.”

Laurient shook his head. “We can smell it upon you.”

“Why the hell is everyone smelling me?” Adam growled, crossing his arms. “I even take a bath everyday.” 

Laurient snarled towards Adam, who grabbed his remaining javelin. He gave Laurient a look, as though asking him if he wanted to continue their fight. 

“I thought you wanted to consume the souls of the giants,” Adam said. “Are you sure you want to go for another round?”

Laurient growled, but did little else. “They will be here among us soon. We should prepare for the fight. We will slay as many mud giants as we need to. Their souls will belong to us, we need nothing else of them.”

“What of the strange beings?”

“They do not have-” Laurient froze quickly. “If we feel the need to consume their soul, then we will make that decision when we fight. If we decide their souls are forfeit, we will come them too.”

Adam looked to Lotag, who nodded his head. “We have no need for their souls.” Lotag’s face gave very little else. Adam had no idea what Lotag thought of the subject, but he recalled that the Iyrmen were very particular about their own souls and bringing them home.

“Then we will fight alongside you,” Laurient said. “Once we have completed our task, we will leave, as promised.” His eyes fell to Adam, who nodded his head in return. That was fine by him, he didn’t particularly like the fae, and could gather that the fae didn’t like him either.

“We don’t have much time,” Adam said. “The giants are a few miles out, but they move pretty quickly.”

“We will have to make our last stand here, or nearby,” Lotag said. 

Forgul appeared and then looked up to Adam. “There is a small ruin nearby,” he said. “We will take it there. We cannot run any longer.” The old man sighed, running a hand along his forehead and then the side of his face. 

“I didn’t expect you to bring back a dragon,” Rikta said, shaking Adam’s hand. 

“I promised to bring back some help, I was paid for it after all.”

Rikta smiled. “I saw the payment, but I didn’t expect such little payment to move you quite so much.”

“It wasn’t the buttons, or the ribbons, or the pieces of cloth,” Adam said.

“Then what was it?”

“A good night’s sleep.” 

Rikta stared at Adam and then nodded his head. “Some would have a good night’s sleep without bringing back a dragon.”

“Not me.”

“Take us to the ruins, and there we will prepare for our stand.” Lotag motioned a hand to his Iyrmen, who swiftly left. Nirot remained with him though, admiring the fae still. 

“Be careful with them,” Adam said. “They’re not the kind to keep to their word.”

“Watch your tongue boy,” Laurient pointed at Adam threateningly.

“You’re getting a little fiery, aren’t you?” Adam replied, grabbing his magical die. The threat hung in the air, and Laurient withdrew, leaving them alone.

Lotag looked to Adam. “What happened?”

“It’s a long story. I’ll let you know once we’re out of this mess.”

Forgul led the group onward. They were moving straight ahead, following the same path they had taken so far. Adam somehow managed to find himself near Jon, who quickly came over to beside the half-elf.

“Adam,” he said. “You came back to help?”

“That’s right,” Adam said. “I met with the frost giants and then returned.”

“Did you see my parents?” His voice was a whisper, but he was a giant, and so it was still rather loud. 

“No, I don’t think I did.”

“They were there,” Entalia said, taking shape in her elven form again. 

“My parents? With the frost giants?”

“Yes,” Entalia said, nodding her head. “They are being taken care of by the frost giants.”

“Are they coming?” Jon asked.

“They are currently recovering from their journey, but I’m sure you’ll see them again.” Entalia’s voice was as sweet as honey, reassuring the gentle giant. Adam had not expected such a side to her, but it was a pleasant surprise. 

“Will the frost giants help too?” Jon asked. “Mother is part frost giant…”

“They do not move as quickly as we do,” Entalia said. “They may not come.”

“Is there a chance?”

“Not enough to think about it, little one,” she said, looking up at Jon. “I am here.” She took his hand in hers. Jon remained silent, walking alongside Entalia. 

After an hour of traversing through the forest, they came to a set of ruins. Forgul had not used the words ruins lightly, because the entire area was mostly rubble. The highest wall went up to Adam’s navel, and a gentle breeze could have toppled it over. 

“Oh dear,” Adam whispered, saying what everyone else was too afraid to.

“This place is terrible,” a villager said. 

“The village was a better place than this!”

“We’re all going to die!”

Panic filled the villagers as they understood what was about to happen to them. Forgul called out to try to calm them, but it was to no avail.

“Enough!” Lotag exclaimed. “We must prepare for battle. Find some rocks, grab your bows and arrows, and your spears, whatever you must. If you are to die, then you will die with honour, with a story to be told. You will not go silently into the night, you will go with a roar, with blood clouding your vision.” The villagers grew silent. Lotag pointed towards the various ruins and walls. “Chop down the trees and create your barricades. Drive spikes into the ground, take to the higher ground if you have good aim.” The other Iyrmen had already begun to cut down into the trees. 

“I can cast some Fireballs,” Adam said. “When I see them, I’ll rain down on them with my flames.”

Lotag looked to Adam with a curious look. “Fireball?”

“I have many abilities which can strike many of them as well,” Entalia said. “Are you able to cast whilst riding me?”

“No,” Adam said. “It would be too difficult, I think. I’d rather not test it out right now.”

“I will need a short moment to rest between some of my abilities.”

“Precious seconds that could be dangerous,” Adam replied, but nodding his head. “I need a little while too, but more importantly…” He looked down to his javelin. “I don’t have a great weapon.”

Entalia reached out a hand and summoned his trusted blade. “I will allow you to borrow this sword.” She smiled. 

Adam took it from her hand. “Borrow?” Adam asked. “My definition of borrow, or yours?”

“Yours,” she replied, smiling wider. “I expect it returned, by your hand.”

Adam looked up at her. He understood the implication and he smiled in return. “I expect to return it to your hand.” He stared down at his magical sword, the first sword he had made. It had helped him for a while, in some of the most intense moments. He gripped the hilt tighter. The sword was no longer his, but it was still a friend of his, in some sense.

“I will take to the skies and remain there during the fight,” Entalia said. “I will do my best to try and separate them with ice, but they will be able to destroy it with enough time.”

“Time which we could use reducing their numbers,” Adam said, rubbing the side of his neck. He looked up at her. “Will you be safe in the air?”

“From the giants? Yes.”

“It’s the unknown pair that are dangerous… we don’t know their abilities or how powerful they are.”

“We will need to adapt to it during the fight,” Lotag said. “I will meet one in battle.”

“I’ll meet the other,” Adam said. 

“We should be fighting them,” Entalia said. “No offence, Iyrman, but they are most likely powerful.”

“No,” Adam said. “You need to remain in the skies. Your abilities will be too important to lose. We can’t miss the forest for the trees. If they are too powerful, then we’ll call for the brothers.” Adam looked to the silvery figures, who were listening, but remained sitting on nearby rocks. 

“Everyone is preparing,” Forgul said. He was clutching a wooden stick, leaning against it. He looked up to Adam, Lotag, and then Entalia. “My strength is fading me,” he said. “Whatever happens, my last moments are here.”

“Will you die passively, under the shield of your villager’s bodies, or with a spear in hand?”

“I will be the first into battle, and the first casualty. It is my duty as the chief of the village, and my last wish.”

“Are you sure?” Adam asked. “You can live on if we win.”

“I can’t,” he said. “I am the chief. If I survive while others die in our darkest hour, then what am I?”

Lotag nodded his head, and Adam remained silent. It was not his place to get involved with such a decision. Entalia didn’t protest either, though Adam wasn’t certain what she thought about it either. The thoughts of a dragon were foreign to him, and the thought of Entalia were even more so.

“I need to cast a few spells in order to prepare for the fight.” Adam excused himself from the group. He stepped some way away, and pulled out some dust. He looked down at it and hoped. He dropped down to a knee, chanting the words of magic. The small hope continued to tingle through him, urging for something to happen. After a short while, Hades appeared. 

He looked down at the tiny black owl, who stared at him silently. His hope had been dashed, but he pet Hades’ head regardless. “It’s good to see you,” he said. The owl hopped up to a tree branch, remaining there on guard.

Adam helped with preparing with the villagers, pushing down the stakes into the ground, and then pinning some logs near the ruined walls. He could feel the sweat beginning to grow on his skin, even though it was frigid still. He could have taken the moment to rest and recuperate from the fight with Laurient, but he couldn’t allow the villagers to work whilst he rested.

He looked out to the sky, seeing the heavy clouds in the air. The sun was peeking through now and again, but it was still quite dim. Adam looked out to the pair of brothers, who were still sitting on the rocks. He frowned. Their lack of movement could end up with several people dead, just because they were too lazy to help. If only Bandlor had beaten some sense into them. 

Bandlor’s look right before he left haunted Adam. There was something to it, something that Adam was missing, but he couldn’t figure it out. He looked up to Hades.

‘Do you know?’ he asked. Hades stared up ahead, looking out for them. ‘I thought not.’

[[

Let's see how well they deal with the giants...

I hope everyone is enjoying this arc as much as I am! Thursday's chapter is going to be insane!

I'll have an announcement to make at the beginning of August, probably two!

 

]]

15