067. Frost Giants
455 10 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The tower emerged from the mountain, like a shadow, carved with a rough hand but with the most delicate details. The runes covered the tower from the top, and even when it merged with the mountain underneath, the runes continued out for several metres. It was a tapestry of runes, similar to dwarven but with rougher lines. Sometimes a rune would continue, forcing itself into other runes, which would use it as a base for their own greedy needs. Atop the tower was a

The giant door at the base of the tower, which melted into the mountain, was a thick set of double doors made of metal. The face of an angry man was carved into it with expert hands, and if Adam didn’t know any better, he’d have thought it was dwarven made. Oklok forced the doors open with little effort, revealing the hard interior moulded from stone.

There was a staircase spiralling upwards, but also revealing that the tower continued further down some floors as well. There were a few pieces of furniture, carved from stone and with thick blankets pulled over them. There were various window which allowed them to see throughout the area, though also allowed the cold air through.

“Come,” Oklok said, leading them upwards.

The next floor was empty, save for the seats which had been carved beside the windows. There were also a handful of weapons on the walls, easily within reach for the giants. The weapons were large, larger than even Adam. One would need the strength of a giant in order to use them well, though Adam was petty strong, perhaps he could wield the weapons in a pinch?

The next floor up was the floor directly under the flames, and the warmth floated down towards the group. There was another giant sitting on one of the seats. She was a woman with long white hair, tattoos all across her face and down towards her neck, which continued to her exposed hands. She wore heavy armour with such comfort, one would have thought it was a blanket, and she clutched at a large great-axe within her grip.

She nodded towards the strangers who had arrived. Oklok grunted something to the woman, who stood up and waited for them to fill the area, before heading down the stairs.

“You may sleep within the upper layer of the tower. It is warm and the wind is not so harsh up here.” Oklok informed, letting them sit as they pleased.

Entalia waited for Adam to sit down before sitting down beside him. Adam threw her a curious look, but kept silent. The others each sat down as well, with Redboulder checking on the merman princess.

“You have brought a child?” Oklok asked. “It is fortunate my aim is good.”

“The child was safe,” Entalia said, crossing her legs ahead of herself, placing her hands atop one another over he knee.

“I am sure,” Oklok replied. He left a moment later, leaving them be.

“So… we’re safe?” Adam asked, looking between the dragon and his party.

Entalia nodded. “The giants have accepted us under their edict.”

“The O’dai take their edicts seriously,” Ylra said. “If they were go back on their word, then a calamity will befall them.”

“Is that what they believe?” Adam asked. It sounded like some superstition, even though it was romantic.

“It is both what they believe and a matter of fact,” Ylra said. “Long ago, the frost giants had made a pact. These edicts are part of such a pact, and if they were to break their own rules…” Ylra’s eyes fell to the ground.

Entalia reached a hand up and brushed Adam’s cheek, causing him to pull back and straighten up. “Don’t worry,” Entalia whispered, “I’ll take good care of you.”

“Thank you, but I can handle myself.” Adam shuffled away to the edge of his seat, causing Entalia to smile at him with an innocent look. He wished he could pull away further, because if Entalia was trying to throw an innocent look at him, then it probably meant something was wrong.

Oklok returned with a pouch, dropping it down and then untying it to reveal some dried meats and fruits. “We do not have much here for guests, but tomorrow you will be guided to the next tower, and then you will be welcomed to the city. I will guide you, as is my duty.” Oklok sat down and allowed them to eat.

Not to be rude the group began to eat. Oklok remained with them, his duty having shifted from looking out of the tower to looking out for his guests. The group were able to rest for the night in peace, with Bandlor and the mountain yak keeping watch from outside.

When they awoke, they noticed another frost giant had appeared during the night. Bandlor didn’t seem to have mentioned it to Adam, though perhaps he felt as though it wasn’t that important. Perhaps there was something to Ylra’s words then, since even Bandlor didn’t seem to be bothered by the way the giants appeared.

‘Hey Bandlor, everything okay with you?’ Adam asked.

‘All is well.’

‘I haven’t heard from you in a while.’

‘There has been nothing to speak of.’

‘Do you want me to fight the giants?’

‘Why?’

‘I get the feeling to might be bored.’

‘Perhaps later.’ Bandlor shifted within Adam’s cloak.

“You will have to leave your yaks for the moment,” Oklok said. “They will be brought along by another in the coming days.”

Oklok led them down the stairs to the bottom floor. There were more weapons and beds here, as well as barrels upon barrels of supplies. There was an entire room dedicated to the barrels, though there was a section where the barrels did not cover. Oklok pushed one side of the wall, which shook the tower as the wall spun so it was now half within the tunnel it revealed and half within the room.

“If you wish to light a torch, you may,” Oklak said as he allowed the group to move inside before he started to push the same wall until it had completely shut. Rojer held out his staff, which he had willed to light. He was the only one here who could not see in the dark.

As they moved on ahead, they came across some wooden pillars, which were holding up some rocks, with some mallets nearby. Adam looked up to them and then Oklok.

“They are in case we need to retreat through the tunnel,” Oklok said. “We have yet to use them within this tower.”

“How long have you been stationed here?” Adam asked.

“Nine years. Each of us are expected to spend at least ten years to watch. My father spent twenty years.”

“Doesn’t it get lonely?”

“We keep one another company, so do our songs and our stories.”

“How many frost giants are there in your city?”

“Fifty thousand in Muten. There are smaller villages nearby, but fifty thousand was the last census for the city.”

Oklok continued to speak of their people for some time, though eventually Entalia began to speak with him about the going ons within the city in the past one hundred years.

“I have heard Aksak continues to hold his throne,” Entalia said.

“He has been gifted with long life by glorious Izmar! May he reign for another hundred years.”

“Another hundred years and he’ll be a husk. He’s already too old, he should go before he loses his ability to move or think.” Entalia shook her head. “Everyone must meet their end one day.”

“He is as sharp as he was in my father’s time.”

“So not very sharp at all.”

Oklok did not react to her constant jabbing. Adam wondered why he refused to do anything, she had apparently even insulted their ancestors too. Was Entalia someone with such great ability, or was it because of something else?

They came across some mallets and wooden pillars again, and then another wall. Izmar forced it open, allowing them to step into the mountain path, which seemed so much clearer in comparison to their last journey. There was less fog here, and the mountain path had a few feet of stone which lined the outside. In the distance they could see a light, as though a floating lantern had been lit. They paused for a moment to take a break before continuing on for a few more hours.

As they approached, the tower formed around it. It was a similar tower, with runes carved into it. It was a little larger than the previous tower, and here there were even several people stationed within rocky huts. It was a small outpost rather than a tower, and as they approached, a frost giant within a breastplate approached.

He was a large man, with a breastplate that seemed to be made of steel. Adam wasn’t entire sure since the metal had veins of some sort all throughout it. The giant had a thick beard, one that went down to his gut, and carried at his back a large blade.

“We welcome you, guests,” the giant said. “I am Greffenhelm.” His eyes fell to Entalia for a moment before he scanned the rest of the group. “If you are still able to continue, we can lead you to the city.”

“The child will need ta rest,” Redboulder said to Elowen.

“We thank you for the offer,” Lady Elowen said, “but we have a child with us who cannot continue.”

Greffenhelm bowed his head. “We will offer you rooms for the night.”

Another giant stepped forward to lead the group towards one of the many rock huts built into the mountain. Oklok remained behind to speak with Greffenhelm.

The rock huts were furnished well. The furniture was carved out of the rock, but the blankets here were much thicker. There was a fireplace too with some firewood ready to be burned, allowing them to warm themselves up.

Oklok interrupted their settling. “This is where our paths will diverge,” he said. “I must return to my post. Greffenhelm will lead you on from now.”

“It was a pleasure speaking with you,” Entalia said, waving a hand her way.

“May the snow remain undisturbed by your tracks,” the giant said, leaving them with his best wishes.

Once they had settled themselves, they were welcomed to join them in the courtyard, which was chilly, though the flames provided them ample warmth. The group were given rations, but this time they were also offered some fruit, which had been thawed out, and some meat. They shared their food, their stories, and their songs. The princess seemed delighted, cooing and babbling as she grabbed onto Redboulder’s beard.

“You are Sansant,” Greffenhelm said. “It has been many years since our peoples have met.”

“Too many years,” Elowen replied. “We have been busy with certain matters, which has always been a regret of our family. We have come to renew our bonds.”

“Our runes have grown faint, but perhaps they can be lit again.” Greffenhelm ran a hand through his beard. “You have trekked long through your lands. We had never expected you in our lifetime.”

“There have been some complications recently.”

Greffenhelm nodded his head. “Prince Aksak will be delighted to speak with you. He has been ruling for so long, and such a length of time has given him wisdom and insight beyond any other living frost giant within our city.”

“I’m surprised he hasn’t become senile,” Entalia said, seemingly trying to push Greffenhelm’s buttons. “Does he still carry around that troll skull with him?”

“It was gifted away to another principality. He was challenged for it, and though he won, he had gifted it to the current Prince when he was but a chief.”

“He’s as merciful as I recall.” Entalia smiled. “All but to me.”

“You did steal his most prized greatsword.”

“I merely borrowed it indefinitely.” Entalia shook her head. “He had left it out in the open for me to take.”

Adam looked up at Entalia. “You’re a thief?” He raised his brow at her.

“I was going to return it.”

“Have you returned it?”

“I haven’t had the chance to, I’ve been exiled.”

“Until you return the great-sword,” Greffenhelm said.

“Well… I wasn’t going to return it back then. I still had need for it.”

“Do you still have need for it now?” Adam asked.

“Yes.”

“For what?”

Entalia gave Adam a look. What was the look for? Adam returned the look with his own questioning look. Entalia narrowed her eyes in response. What was she…

Oh.

“Oh.”

“Yes.”

“Do you really need it for that?”

“Well… I don’t need it, but it would be nice to have.”

“It would be nice you return it. I have great respect for you, but I shudder to think you’re a thief.”

Entalia pouted down at him. Adam didn’t know elves could pout, but remembered she was a dragon in the form of an elf, though it was still rather silly.

“You are welcomed under the Edict of Hospitality. Though there will come a time when it will run out and we will ask you to leave.”

“I will leave in due time, but I trust you have heard what I am here for?”

“The Gathering of Snow will begin in a few weeks, when the chiefs are ready to discuss your matter. Until then, we will speak of our relationship with Sansant.”

Adam looked to Elowen. “There’s also the issue of Jon and his family.”

“Jon?” Greffenhelm asked.

“That’s right. A frost giant child in the care of humans.”

Greffenhelm’s face became stern, and Adam swallowed the ball of worry growing in his throat. He realised that this was Greffenhelm’s worried face.

“I see…” There came a look of recognition on his face, but he left the matter there.

They continued to share their meat, eventually also sharing their mead too. Redboulder partook enough to satiate his dwarven thirst, but not too much that he would lose face with Elowen, who had kept an eye on him. The dwarf sang a dwarven song, which meant the next half hour was filled with his baritone notes. He sang the tale of an ancient hero, though Adam was unable to pay much attention as he Entalia was trying to get him to drink more than his fill.

“I’m not really a heavy drinker,” Adam said.

“What’s a better time to start than now?” Entalia asked, drinking enough to keep pace with Redboulder. She seemed to want to exceed him.

“The future, perhaps?”

“Perhaps, but today is a better day than any.” She continued to drink the mead until she finally fell down off her seat and into the snow, snoring lightly.

‘Dragons are crazy.’

“She’s chosen to sleep in the snow,” Greffenhelm chuckled.

“Is that alright?”

“She won’t be harmed by it.”

Adam thought about it for a moment. Oh right, she was a silver dragon.

[[

067. Entalia Continues Her Seduction

Adam trying to resist. I should make some Wise Saves for him.

I'd fail on purpose though! Can I get an amen?

]]

21