A Night Walk With Ruth
116 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Reind held Emma's tiny hand, the little girl still waving her hand at the carriage that carried Hera and Freya away from them.

At first, Emma was intent on keeping Hera here with her for a little longer. She liked that big sister, somehow. But Emma couldn't be selfish, she thought as she looked at Reind, who was looking back at her. As a result, she simply made a bunch of promises with Hera before they left and with all of these promises, Emma is finally able to smile as she bids them farewell.

Seeing Emma's cheerfulness made Reind smile briefly. He then tightened his grip on Emma's hand and led the little girl into the dining room.

Several children were still running around when Reind and Emma entered the already lively dining room. They were waiting for the caregivers to serve their meal, assisted by the older children.

Reind then seated Emma down at a vacant table before sitting across from her with his arms crossed on the table. “You never said that... your big sis fainted.” Reind wondered. 

“I forgot.” Emma whispered with her head down, feeling a little guilty for concealing what Reind considered to be vital information.

“Did anything happen before she fainted?” Reind asked again in a subtle tone, knowing that the girl he was speaking with was just eight years old.

Emma cocked her head and narrowed her eyes, as if attempting to recall something she'd forgotten.

Reind patiently waited for an explanation from the eight-year-old girl about his unreasonable curiosity. 

“When she woke us up, she appeared to be in a good mood. It's just that she cries when she calls my name.” said Emma after a long silence.

“And then?”

“And then what?” Emma watched Reind with her clear, gleaming big eyes. The little girl was beaming with glee, as if she had hidden nothing from him.

“Is that all?” Reind frowned.

“Yup.”

Reind got nothing from Emma's words. He didn't typically intervene in other people's lives. But Hera, he was becoming increasingly intrigued by that girl.

Emma saw that Reind had no intention of continuing questioning her, jumped down and hurried ran to the group of other children who were already seated around the large round table.

“What exactly are you discussing with Lord Reind, Emma?” After distributing dinner portions to all of the children, an older girl muttered and took her spot next to Emma.

“He asked about what happened before Sis Hera fainted.”

“And did you tell him about the story?”

Emma scowled as she puffed her cheeks. “Obviously not. I made a promise.”

 


 

Ruth stared at Hera with worry. They had already finished their meal several hours ago. Now Ruth sat across from Hera in the library, waiting for her granddaughter to say something about what had happened to her that day, but that girl remained silent as she read her book.

Hera flatly refused to be checked after Freya told Ruth what had happened to her granddaughter at the orphanage. The girl insisted that she was fine and that there was no need to bother others about something so insignificant. Hera was so persistent that Ruth was helpless to do anything.

“Hera…” Finally, Ruth gently called out to Hera. “Will you join me on a walk?”

“Yes, of course.” Hera put down the book she had been reading. She was just about to stand up when Ruth held her hand. “What's wrong, Grandma?”

“... But if you're exhausted, you better just rest.”

Hera was silent as she noticed her grandmother's languid face. “Grandma, how about you? You've been looking a little sluggish recently.” She approached Ruth and sat down next to her grandmother, taking her hand in hers.

Ruth always appears happy in front of Hera, takes her around town, and tells her various stories. Ruth, on the other hand, keeps the fact that she sees a doctor every week hidden from Hera.

“I am fine.”

Hera raised her brows, indicating that she didn't believe Ruth's words. “Is it true?”

“Ah... I was just thinking about your cousin. They will be here in a few days.” Ruth wasn't lying, she was thinking about how crowded the mansion would be after the twins arrived.

“Kyle and Ysmay? When will they arrive?”

Hera took Ruth's hand in hers and led her grandma to the garden, followed by Mrs. Oz, who strolled a short distance away from them.

“They will be here for two more days. And also your brother…”

“Are they planning on attending the Sixon family event next week?” Hera interrupted Ruth's words. She was adamant about not hearing anything about her brother.

Ruth realized that. She cleared her throat, deciding not to say anything about Lyonnel's letter to Hera, which she had received this morning. “Yes, indeed. What made you aware of the event?”

“Don't you remember grandma? You were the one who informed me of this.” Hera tightened her grip on Ruth's hand and smiled warmly at her.

“Really? Do you wish to go with them?” Ruth was direct in her question. As a matter of fact, she wanted Hera to get along with her cousins, and she hoped that the event would help them get to know one another. “If you want to go, Ysmay will take you dress shopping later.”

“I don't think I need another set of dresses, Grandma.” Hera tried to refuse the idea of buying another dress.

“What are you talking about? I'm not letting you go in those plain dresses, especially since it's a masquerade and you'll require a mask. Also, if you need funds to purchase a painting, I will provide you with money.” Ruth grumbled in annoyance. In such a situation, she always remembered Hera's past in that cold, inhuman place, which infuriated her even more.

“I'll buy a dress and a mask for the event, but I won't need any money for the auction. All I want to do is enjoy the artwork.” And to see someone. Hera smiles discreetly to herself.

When Hera felt Ruth's fingers go chilly after going around Ruth's small garden once, she escorted Ruth back to her room.

“The weather is getting cold. Grandma should wear warmer clothes from tomorrow.” Hera said as she handed Ruth's hand to Mrs. Oz, her eyes narrowed at her grandmother's unsteady legs. “Why don't we have breakfast in Grandma's room tomorrow?”

“Alright.” Ruth nodded, her face lit up with a wide grin. “Good night, Hera.”

“Good night, grandma. And Mrs. Oz, good night to you too.”

Hera turned around and headed towards her room after the door in front of her closed.

Hera leaned her back against the bedroom door, she let out a heavy breath. She can adjust herself to what happened earlier. It could have been one of the side effects of her memories being lost. By now she thought that all the things she couldn't remember were nothing but insignificant things.

With that, she's now truly concerned about Zane.

Hera had a feeling something was amiss with the man since she awoke. She could still feel Zane's presence in her shadow, but it wasn't as powerful as it had been in the past.

Is there anything wrong with him? Hera's gaze was fixated on her shadow, which slowly moved away from her and took the form of a man in front of her.

“Is everything okay with you?” It was the only thing she could think of after seeing Zane's pale face.

“No.” Zane managed to answer her with a hoarse whisper.

Zane couldn't look Hera in the eyes, he wanted to keep what had happened to him hidden from the girl who appeared to be quite concerned about him right now.

Meanwhile, he had no idea how to inform the girl about their one-sided contract, which was about to end.

Isn't this what you were hoping for? In his ears, a small conscience hummed. Isn't this exactly what the girl had hoped for?

But why now? When Zane was committed to protecting the girl, why didn't fate allow him to make things right?

Zane might be able to offer Hera a new contract. This time, a contract between a guardian and his master, rather than Hera as a third party. However, he was unable to do so.

Their contract's fourth party had returned from exile.

When the man comes to see Hera, Zane will lose his right to be Hera's guardian.

That was Zane's greatest fear in this life.

5