Dress Shopping and Gifts
70 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“...”

“...”

The silence was tense, Ysmay couldn't take her gaze away from Hera, who was beginning to feel uneasy sitting in front of the girl, waiting for Ruth to join them for afternoon tea.

“Do you like the mask?” Hera took the initiative to start the conversation after a long silence, her fingers fiddling with Ruth's knitting tool in the basket on her lap.

Ruth agreed to teach her how to knit today. After a short farewell to the children at the orphanage, and introducing the temporary substitute teacher to them, Hera decided to expand her activities with Ruth without exhausting her. And what activities are most suitable besides knitting?

Ysmay's breath hitched. Mrs. Oz had told her that her cousin was a very quiet person, so she wasn't expecting Hera to initiate the conversation first. She nodded with a smile on her face. “I like it. Thank you.”

Silence ensued once again.

Hera locked her gaze on Ysmay.

Ysmay did the same thing.

They were both silent, lost in their own thoughts.

For Hera, it had been a very long time since she had last seen and spoken to Ysmay. A memory from her past flashed before her eyes. 

Because Ysmay and her brother were adopted by the person who was meant to be the Greene family's successor but preferred to be a traveler, the other nobles looked down on them. They forgot that one of the Dukes also had the same issue before he became a duke.

However, Hera was relieved to recall that Ysmay had found happiness with the people she loved, and that she and her family were still residing in this mansion, while Kyle's family resided on the Greenes' main estate.

As for Ysmay, she was always interested in her cousin, especially after hearing Ruth's stories about how the grandchild she had left behind looked a lot like her daughter when she was younger.

“... You remind me a lot of Aunt Ammely.” Ysmay managed to grab Hera's attention by saying it unconsciously.

“Really?”

“You two have a striking resemblance. You should see a photograph of Aunt Ammely when she was younger.” Ysmay stated this to convince Hera that what she said was true.

Hera burst out laughing when she heard that. “Grandma had already shown them to me. But I think my mother looks much more beautiful and mature.”

“Do you have any plans to come to the event too?” Ysmay continued to ask, which she soon regretted. With all the stories Ruth told her, she may have guessed why she hadn't seen Hera at any of the events or banquets she'd attended.

However, she was taken aback when Hera responded with a nod.

“Really? This will be your first time attending an event, right?”

“Yes, of course. A masquerade event and an art exhibition. I could not be recognized by anybody, and I could see dozens of artworks on exhibit.” Hera replied casually.

“Ohh... What about a live auction? Will you take part?”

Hera laughed again, clicking her tongue. “I have no money to spend.”

“Oh…”

“Aside from that, I'd rather not be in that kind of room.” She added in whispered. It will always remind her of a horrible experience she had at an auction, tsk...

Fortunately, the art exhibition and the auction will take place simultaneously with a half-hour gap, so that anyone who wants to take part in the auction can still go around the exhibition before deciding to purchase one of the artworks on display or special artworks given by the artists to be auctioned.

Those who aren't interested in the auction can have a friendly chat in the exhibition, talk about art, or go to another room with food and beverages.

“Have you been waiting long?” Ruth's voice greeted them. She had finished her morning duty before enjoying time with her two granddaughters. “What are you talking about?”

“The Sixon's family exhibition event.”

“That's interesting…” Ruth sat among them, her face lit up with a bright smile. “Ysmay, would you mind taking Hera dress shopping?”

“Dress shopping?”

“Yes... This kid…” Ruth sighed heavily and shook her head, recalling how difficult it had been to persuade Hera to buy just one dress suitable for any event. “You could have lent her your dress, but…”

Hera and Ysmay laughed softly, even though they had only met today, but she knew that her cousin would never want to wear her dresses. They have very different aesthetic tastes in dresses and all.

Ysmay is dressed in a short blue lace dress with gorgeous hair accessories and a little make-up application on her face.

Hera, on the other hand, was dressed simply in a long dress with no jewelry other than the necklace she hid beneath her dress, and her hair was tied with a black ribbon with no make-up.

The two ladies appeared to be extremely different from each other.

“I persuaded her to buy a dress, but I'm worried that if she's the only one buying one, she'll get a plain one.” Ruth kept talking as she skillfully created the foundation for her knitting. “So, Ysmay, even if your preferences are completely opposite. Can you ensure that she chooses at least a lovely dress?” It was something she was adamant about.

“Of course, grandma. I will accompany Hera shopping.” Ysmay lifted the cup of tea that had been served and took a sip. Now she didn't have to bother making other excuses, so she could spend time with Hera, and get to know her cousin better.

“When do you plan to go shopping?” Ruth inquired, more to Ysmay. She then gave Hera the hooks and yarn with the foundation she made for Hera and told her to follow in her steps.

Hera, who was used to visual learning, didn't mind if Ruth didn't explain everything to her; if there was something she didn't understand, she would just ask. But, for the time being, Ruth's slow movements are enough for her to see and adjust to her new activities.

“In the afternoon, maybe. The event will take place the day after tomorrow. I'm worried we won't be able to find the dress Hera wanted and that I agreed on, since I'm a very picky person.” Ysmay stated before turning to Hera, who was focused on Ruth's hands movement, which were getting faster.

Ysmay wanted to ask if she needed to find a mask too, but considering she had just received a mask as a gift from Hera, she assumed that the girl had one too. Ysmay only had to look at what kind of mask Hera had to match the dress she was going to buy.

“That's perfect. I'll give you money for the dress. It's her birthday present from me.”

Ruth's knitting had begun to shape up nicely into a scarf, but Hera's knitting was sloppy. However, this was Hera's first lesson, and she was pleased to be able to follow Ruth's every move.

“Birthday present? When?”

“...” Ruth's hand stopped moving, her brow furrowed deeply. Hera's birthday was near the end of the year, this month, but she couldn't recall the precise day. She was now looking at Hera with a guilty expression on her face.

Hera raised her head when she saw Ruth's hand had stopped moving and saw her grandma and cousin looking at her without blinking, as if expecting her to answer a question she hadn't heard.

“... Why are you staring at me like that?”

Ysmay leaned forward, her pupils constricted. “When is your birthday?” She asked bluntly.

“Hn? It was a few weeks ago. The eighth of this month.” Hera herself replied hesitantly. She did remember when her birthday was, but did it count as her birthday or not? She was not too sure about it.

Hera knew that her birthday was different from the day she was born, considering that no one had paid attention to her for a while because everyone was busy taking care of her mother's funeral.

Hera could have known when she was born by looking at the date of her mother's death engraved on her memorial, but Ruth always said that the date engraved on her memorial was incorrect. And all of the midwives who had assisted her mother in giving birth and the servants who took care of her as a baby had vanished.

But according to the birth certificate that was not yet incorporated into the kingdom's citizens' data, the day after she returned again and again was her birthday. So Hera always adjusted her birthday to the piece of paper that was in her hand at the moment, and legally, she did not exist in this world.

Remembering that, Hera turned to Freya, who immediately came up to her with the music box she had bought for Ruth yesterday.

“I saw a music box that was identical to my mother's and decided to purchase it for Grandma.” Hera said, proudly smiling, hoping they wouldn't bring up her birthday again.

“Ah…” Ruth was astonished when she saw the music box again. She placed her knitting into the basket and reached for the music box, which she attempted to open.

Her astonishment could be seen on her face as she listened to the lullaby music playing from the opened music box. “I thought it's broken because I can't open it since your mother handed it to me.” Ruth's eyes started to water.

“Mom also had a music box. It was given to me by Freya a few years ago, and I was able to repair it.” Hera explained, keeping the truth of why the music box couldn't be opened hidden.

Ruth was touched, she had forgotten the music box after several years of not being unable to get it repaired by any craftsmen. She eventually let go of the music box and told Mrs. Oz to sell it for her. And now it's back to her, through Hera, and it's working properly.

They finished the tea party not long after. Ruth returned to her studies and played the music box to accompany her. While Ysmay dragged Hera into town right away, Freya followed after she called Rayla to come with them according to Ruth's orders.

Hera's legs were sore. After a few hours of wandering throughout the city's shopping center, she sat in the middle of the fourth jewelry store they had entered.

Previously, she let Ysmay choose dresses for her which she would later select according to her taste. From the dozens of dresses that Ysmay took, usually only two to three dresses were left, which Hera finally tried on at each boutique they went to.

Actually, they had found the dress in the third boutique. Ysmay, who had seen the mask that Hera was going to wear, had also agreed to a dark green dress, simple but still looked elegant and classy with dozens of small emerald gems wrapped around her chest to her waist with bishop sleeves.

Ysmay, on the other hand, was eager to buy her a necklace for her birthday present and kept dragging her around the shopping area to several jewelry stores.

“I learned from my experience after you rejected a few of my choices.” Ysmay has returned, this time with fewer necklaces than previously. “I was trying to resist taking the necklace from the model you usually turned down, so…” In front of Hera, he placed four necklaces in a row. “Anything you're interested in?”

Hera tilted her head, examined the four necklaces, then picked one and stared thoughtfully at it.

“Do you like that?”

Hera's eyes were fixated on the silver simple leaf cubic zirconia necklace, and Ysmay was thrilled to catch a spark of interest in her gaze.

Hera smiled and nodded. She was exhausted, and this was the last jewelry store in the city. If she didn't select one of those necklaces, Ysmay would undoubtedly take her to the other city only to buy her a necklace today.

However, she really adored the necklace's design.

“Okay. Because they sell a set of necklaces and earrings on this design, I'll buy you the set.” Ysmay exclaimed happily and rushed straight to the shopkeeper to pay, completely ignoring Hera, who could only shake her head.

She had expected something like that to happen. Ysmay is always earnest when it comes to giving someone a present.

They returned to the mansion just before sunset. Hera excused herself and went into her room, where she quickly fell asleep until Freya woke her up for dinner.

 

Sorry for the late update again. I just realized that my chapter has grown in length, and writing and updating for two days in a row will be inconvenient, so I'll take a day's gap between updates. And I believe the art exhibition and auction chapter(s) will be lengthy as well.

Also, I will have to prepare for a civil examination. It will still be three chapters a week if I have the time to write (I will make sure I write the third chapter). But if I can't, it will be two chapters per week.

5