Lunch With Ruth Guests
60 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hera tucked Emma into her bed before heading into the dining room to eat with her grandmother and two other guests.

Hera's appetite had returned to normal, but she wouldn't always finish her meal if she had had snacks not long before. However, because of that, the chefs are no longer required to serve Hera with a different meal than Ruth.

After the servants had finished serving their meal, the dining room was engulfed in silence, with only the clashing of forks and spoons to disrupt the silence. There wasn't much conversation when they enjoyed their lunch.

However, as Esther and Hera concentrated on their meals, Elizabeth and Ruth would occasionally discuss their tea time plans for the next few months.

Then, when Ruth told Elizabeth that Hera was learning to knit from her, Elizabeth right away offered to teach Hera to weave. The girl could only accept the unexpected offer with a subtle nod. Hera really couldn't say no to Elizabeth in front of her grandmother.

“So... what are your plans for later?” Ruth wiped her lips with a handkerchief and lifted a glass of water to her lips to cleanse her palate.

Hera smiled when she heard Ruth ask about their plans for the evening. She hadn't mentioned anything to Ruth about the bonfire for the night. She just stated that she and Emma would be spending the entire day together.

“Later, there will be a bonfire at the orphanage. They always celebrate the orphanage's anniversary with a bonfire and firecrackers. Emma invited me to celebrate with her and the other kids.” She explained briefly.

“I see... I won't stop you this time, but don't come home too late, and will Rayla go with you? What about Freya?” Ruth's voice was full of concern.

“Heiza's family founded the orphanage, so she had to attend as a representative. Freya would accompany us as well. We will not come back late. Don't worry, grandma.”

“Hmm... Too bad you'll have to leave soon, Esther.” Elizabeth's voice interrupted the conversation between Ruth and Hera, causing Esther, who was mentioned by name, to turn to look at her grandmother as she choked on her water. “Otherwise, you can go with them. Why is your brother in such a hurry to leave this city anyway?”

“It's al—”

Before Esther could say anything, Elizabeth had cut her off. “Hera, dear, can you show Esther around?” She then turned to face Ruth, who was already nodding in agreement to her request. “I don't think Lady Ruth would mind either.”

It wasn't just Esther who gasped at Elizabeth's request. Hera, who was trying hard not to draw attention to herself, could only gape.

“What are you two waiting for... Lady Ruth and I still have something to talk about…” Elizabeth grinned widely, making her wrinkles more visible.

Hera's face clouded. Elizabeth's words rang out in her ears. Those are the words that will plunge her into that nightmare. But she shook her head, trying to erase any bad feelings from Elizabeth's words. Elizabeth could not possibly have thought of that. This was their second encounter, despite Hera's persistent refusal to accompany Ruth to meet Elizabeth.

Right.

That thought could not have occurred to Elizabeth, especially since they weren't as close as they had been in her previous life. Hera tried to calm herself down. She may have been a little paranoid when she heard that specific word from that particular person again, but she was certain she would not walk that path Elizabeth had laid out for her in this life.

“I don't believe I have the time to do so, grandma. My carriage will be here soon.” Esther's voice came out as a whisper.

“In that case, Hera could accompany you to the front of the gate, where you two could converse while waiting for your carriage. Is that alright with you, Hera?”

Hera nodded again, eager to get out of the room as soon as possible. “If so, we'll excuse ourselves.” Hera stood up with a slight stagger. She smiled at Esther, who returned her smile with a stiff smile.

When Esther looked closely to Hera, who was now standing in front of her. She realized that the real Hera did not appear to be as happy as Hera in Mrs. R's painting.

Esther was just taken aback when she saw Mrs. R's muse in person. She had no clue why she had suddenly compared the two of them. The painting was merely created based on Mrs. R's dreams. How could she make a comparison between a real person and a painting?

“I apologize for my grandmother's tendency to... order people like that.” Esther awkwardly rubbed her elbow, her gaze fixed on Hera.

“It's not that big of a deal. Let's go fetch your coat, and I'll wait with you until your carriage arrives.”

The two ladies went down the corridor silently, neither of them trying to strike up a conversation, like what their grandmother wanted them to do.

Hera, who wanted nothing to do with Esther, nor Elizabeth, paid no heed to the silence.

Esther too. She couldn't come up with anything to say to Hera. They were strangers until recently. But, in any case, she had the impression that Hera was not someone who could be approached lightly.

“Rara!”

Except if you're a child. Esther saw a significant change in Hera's expression as she saw the little girl rushing towards her. At that precise moment, Esther could see the identical expression expressed by the real Hera and Hera in Mrs. R's painting.

Emma wasn't used to napping for long periods of time. Fortunately, Freya came into Hera's room to begin her cleaning task as soon as Emma opened her eyes. So Emma realized where she was at the moment and asked Freya to take her to see Hera.

Freya, who was standing nearby, watched the little girl rush to embrace Hera's legs. Almost making her lady stumble backwards, before turning around and returning to Hera's room, continuing her task after escorting Emma to Hera.

Hera's attention was completely drawn to Emma. She rubbed the top of the little girl's head, making her hair even messier after she had slept.

“Freya says we have time to bake macarons?” Emma looked at Hera, her eyes blinking, waiting for an answer.

“Of course, we have time. I need to bring something since I haven't seen them in quite some time. Right. But first…” Hera cast a glance towards Esther. Emma also followed Hera's gaze. “Should we escort this lady and wait for her carriage in front of the gate?”

Esther trailed behind Hera and Emma into the living room, where Mrs. Oz was cleaning a fireplace full of ashes and charcoal from the used firewood.

Mrs. Oz instantly stood up when she heard someone approaching her and staggered slightly owing to her numb feet. “Lady Hera... Little Emma…” She brushed the ashes off her skirt, smiled at Hera and Emma, and turned to face Esther. “Lady Esther, are you leaving without your grandmother?”

“Yes. My brother is on his way here.”

“Then I'll go retrieve your coat, Lady Esther.” Mrs. Oz was about to go to the coat closet when she was stopped by Hera's voice.

“No need, Mrs. Oz. I already got them.” Hera had already opened the little closet by the front door and taken Esther's and her own coats out. As for Emma, Hera took out her own scarf and wrapped it around the little girl's neck.

Hera knelt and lifted Emma in her arms before silently leading Esther to the gate.

The little girl buried her face in Hera's neck, searching for warmth there while fiddling with Hera's scarf around her own neck and sometimes peering at Esther.

“I truly want to spend time with you, just as my grandmother wanted me to do. But my brother will be here soon.” Esther, who had worked up the courage to approach Hera since the first time she met her, clasped Hera's free hand. “So, when I return, you'll be able to show me around, right?”

“...” Hera remained silent for a little while before forcing a smile. “Sure, I'll be waiting for you.”

Nobody knew her promise was a lie, since she would never allow herself to be near Esther. But her empty promise soon made Esther beam with joy, and a tinge of guilt rose in her heart.

The sound of horses' hooves stamping and carriage wheels squeaking could be heard. Emma turned her gaze to the source of the sound, as if she was interested.

“They've arrived.” Esther beckoned to the carriage, which came to a halt in front of the Greene mansion's gate shortly after. She then turned around to bid Hera farewell.

“I hope you have a pleasant journey.” Hera hurriedly said her farewell and headed back to the mansion without looking back, leaving Esther dumbfounded.

“Who is that? Greene's new maid?” Andora reached out his hand to Esther to help his sister into their carriage before they slowly set off.

“Lady Ruth's granddaughter.”

“Really? I had no idea Lady Ruth had another granddaughter than Ysmay. Ahh…” Andora's brow furrowed with interest. “Is she, as rumor has it, the new Lady Greene?”

Esther tilted her head, looking thoughtful for a moment. “No, I don't believe so. She didn't go sailing with Kyle and Ysmay.” Her face was solemn when she remembered something Elizabeth had said earlier. “Grandma said something about her being the Duke…”

Esther fell silent when she noticed her brother's guardian staring at her with big, wary eyes. “Did you know something about her, Ezel?”

“How could he know about her?” Andora laughed, unaware of his guardian's or his sister's tense expressions towards each other. “Don't bother with him. These last couple of days, he seemed to be hiding something from me.” Andora's pupils constricted as he glared at Ezel.

“I'll let you know when the time is right.” Ezel's tone was full of stress before he disappeared into Andora's shadow.

Andora immediately shut up and shifted his gaze to the carriage window.

Esther lowered her head in the direction of Andora's shadow. She was more conscious than her brother of what was going on. Her brother might be so oblivious at times that he overlooked Ezel's slightly distressed expression as she was about to say anything about Hera.

“Ezel, did you know anything about Hera?”

Andora allowed Ezel and Esther to be connected with each other since his sister would not accept any guardians for the time being, so Ezel currently serves two masters, with Esther being his unofficial master.

So Esther has the right to try to get an answer from Ezel regarding her wonder about his slightly odd expression when they talked about Hera, using their connection without Andora's awareness.

But after a while, with no answer, Esther shifted her complicated gaze toward the carriage window, marveling at the snowy wilderness that surrounded them.

Esther's complicated gaze gradually altered as she heard Ezel's dejected tone in her ears.

“I do know her.”

5