Rowan Minz
58 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Lady Canary, I came here to take you to Madam Crow's place…” That man tightened his hold on his dagger, perplexed as to why Madam Crow had specifically told him to show little respect for Lady Canary but at the same time to be cautious when he met that girl.

“...”

Hera recognized that man based only on his voice. Her heart was slightly at ease, and her shoulders were no longer tense. But soon her eyebrows creased in bewilderment; that man was not meant to be that woman's trusted man just yet. Hera wondered if her decision to use the other man for her mission had altered that man's affiliation with that woman or not.

Rowan Minz was a descendent of one of the noble households in the kingdom that had been ruined by the greed of the family that owned the blood contract. At first, he was intrigued when he found out that the descendants of the family were in the Ivrocezia Kingdom, where his ancestors had fled when the kingdom in which they belonged was destroyed.

His intention was to learn more about the blood contract and the destruction it brought to his ancestor's kingdom, from that family point of view, but he somehow plunged deeper into the woman's business.

Rowan had been playing with fire in the first place when he subsequently became that woman's trusty henchman, until everything changed when the girl he loved died because of the woman's blood contract.

In Hera's remaining memory, that man was one of those people she needed to avoid, but she might have a soft spot for him since they once were friends under that woman. However, there's a reason why he is one of those people she needs to avoid. Since in Hera's memory of him, she could see how much hatred he had for her before everything went blank.

Seeing him in front of her made Hera question whether her relationship with that woman had led him to harbor such resentment towards her. And she may see that look on his face again if she didn't warn him about that woman's scheme against his fiance's family.

But not right now. With things shifting, Hera didn't want to hasten matters concerning Rowan's fiancee's fate, especially since they don't know each other now.

“... I didn't know you had the nerve to show up when there were so many people around me like this.” Hera fiddles with the ribbons in her hands.

“I'm truly sorry for ruining your night with the children. But I have to do what my employer wants me to do.”

To be honest, Rowan was just interested in who had forced Madam Crow to clench her teeth for more than a week while waiting for her trusted man to return, but somehow she didn't seem to be that furious at that person.

“You did not ruin my night.” Hera's voice was laced with disdain. “You are trespassing on this property with something that might endanger the children. A boy found the ribbon you tied at the orphanage perimeter. You were fully aware that everyone understood what kind of trouble this piece of ribbon might cause in the area where it appeared.” Hera's expression darkened with each word she spoke.

If there is a public report on what happened at the Sixon's family event, there will be a statement describing a certain ribbon found around the Sixon's family mansion's perimeter.

The ribbon with a distinctive embroidery she also saw on that woman's letter represented her organization, which was steadily expanding throughout this kingdom, especially in the underground world.

And, as an orphanage sponsored by Heiza's family, they've already been informed of the significance of the ribbon. Imagine the uproar if the director or any of the other caregivers saw the ribbon on Little Joe's hand. Thinking about that made Hera even more enraged about her current situation.

Hera took a deep breath in an attempt to calm her raging heart. “Is it necessary for you to bring me to meet her right now, hmm?”

“Then you return the next day. Make sure she meets me this week. My child will be staying with me for the weekend.”

That's what Madam Crow told him when he inquired what if Lady Canary refused to meet her. That was unlike Madam Crow, which led him to believe that their relationship must be more profound than he imagined.

Rowan cast a glance down at the crackling bonfire.

The music and children's singing could still be heard, but there were fewer of them, since a few children had already gone to their rooms to sleep. Then his eyes were drawn to the two girls who had accompanied Hera. They were conversing and glancing around, as if looking for someone.

He was surprised by how different the woman's statements about the girl's situation were. According to her, he would find the girl by herself, making it easy to take her away as she would be willing to go with him. That, however, was absolutely incorrect.

“If you don't have time now, then I’ll be back tomorrow.” Rowan's voice sounded raspy in response to her words. “Also, if I may ask, why did you force Madam Crow's henchmen to go on your mission??”

Hera blinked. She could plainly hear the quiver in his voice, no matter how hard he tried to sound calm. She knew that that woman must have been irritated by it.

“Because he was capable of doing what I wanted him to do.” Hera tied the ribbons together, her eyes still fixed on him. “I mean, I need someone to complete my mission as soon as possible, so why not use one of her men? It's the best option, don't you think so?”

Rowan had been following her from afar ever since she left the Greene mansion, and the girl's reaction when she discovered him was not what he had in mind. Sure, there was a little anger in her eyes, but overall she was far too calm.

Hera slowly approached Rowan, causing the man to tighten his grip on his dagger even more. The girl passed him and leaned against the edge of the rooftop railing, staring at the two girls in the backyard, who were finally looking in her direction.

Hera then waved her arms in the direction of Freya and Rayla.

With limited lighting on the rooftop, they could only see a silhouette waving at them and could only guess who it was.

When Hera saw Freya heading towards the back door in a state of panic, she turned away and threw a big smile at Rowan.

Hera supported herself with both hands, lifted herself up and sat on the thin railing. “How about you tell that woman to meet me tomorrow in the city?”

“…” Rowan's mouth was wide open. He didn’t know how to respond to that. Did she truly think that woman would meet her outside? Madam Crow never left her residence. How could she when everything could be done inside her own place?

The girl tilted her head, grinning widely. “She really needs to go out more, you know. It's not healthy to remain cooped up in your own house for years. Believe me, I know how it feels.”

Rowan is perplexed as to why the girl seemed calm when talking about Madam Crow. Since nearly four years ago, everyone in the underground world has been terrified of that name. Yet, that girl casually criticizes that woman and even removes her most trusted henchman from her for an indefinite period of time.

“My maid will be here shortly. It would be terrible if she saw you, wouldn't it?” Hera propped up her chin with her elbows resting on her thighs. “So, should I go meet that woman tomorrow around eight o'clock in the morning at the city's book café, or what?”

“I'll convey your request to Madam Crow.”

Hera then hopped down and headed for the door. “And... don't ever come back to this orphanage, you don't have the heart to do anything to those children, right.” She warned with a threatening glint in her piercing gaze before she opened the door and left Rowan alone.

“What are you doing here, Milady?” Freya gasped for breath and frowned at Hera, who was standing at the top of the stairs, closing the rooftop door and descending towards her.

“Ah... I just want to see the view from the rooftop. Emma said that they had a stunning view. And that is true, Freya.”

“I wish I could see it next time, but we have to return now, Milady. The coachman was already waiting at the gate.”

Hera nodded and hooked her arm around Freya's forearm, which caught the girl off guard, but soon a warm smile spread on her face as they made their way to the gate, where Rayla awaited them with the director of the orphanage.

6