Finding The Truth [Part 2]
119 4 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lyonnel strode along the path to his mother's memorial, carefully folding the two papers Hera had hidden away and placing them in his pocket. Deep inside his heart, he was conflicted about what he should do next to mend his relationship with Hera.

He was certain Hera had discovered the missing papers by now, and she might have deduced it was him who had taken them, given that if it was the Greene servant who discovered them, their grandmother would have known and said something before he left.

What will Hera do when he returns to the Greene mansion later? There had to be a reason why she hid those papers, and he hoped it was because Hera had learned the whereabouts of her twin sister and wanted to locate her without alerting anyone.

However, what Aria told him and what he would discover at his mother's memorial would crash that hope.

Then why did Hera keep that kind of information hidden, especially from their grandmother? With those, she may finally have her own identity in this kingdom, and with Ruth's support, she will be one of the Greene rather than Silverna.

“Are you going to inform the Duke about what Aria told you in your dream, Master?” Shie interrupted Lyonne's line of thinking as he nuzzled into Lyonnel's neck to disperse the strong wind that was blowing towards them with his form as a little bird. He was a bit sullen since Lyonnel didn't share anything with him about his dream and instead, headed straight to the memorial. They even missed breakfast.

“I'm not sure, but he had to have known something. How could he be unaware that his wife is expecting a twin?” Lyonnel exhaled heavily, a cloud of white vapor emerging from his mouth.

Everything grew more difficult when Lyonnel discovered that his father had destroyed all of the information regarding who was involved in his mother's labor. He can't even find any trace of his mother's midwives and servants, who were dismissed years ago.

Even if he discovered information about a servant who used to serve his mother, it would lead to another dead end because that person had died years ago.

“And will you ask him about that?”

Lyonnel shook his head. “I'm not sure. He avoided any discussion of his wife and even threatened anybody who uttered her name.”

Ammely's memorial was in sight. Lyonnel paused and pressed his chest. It was the first time he had gone to his mother's memorial feeling depressed like this, and not with the intention of cleaning the weeds that surrounded it.

“Shie, could you…” His words trailed off, his eyes wide in surprise. “What are you doing here, father?” Lyonnel was taken aback to see his father at his mother's memorial after years of abandoning it. He was curious as to why Luca had unexpectedly visited his wife's memorial.

Luca hesitated for a minute as he directed his gaze to Lyonnel. “When did you return?” He asked nonchalantly before shifting his gaze back to his wife's memorial.

“Yesterday. I wanted to come by your study after supper, but Mrs. Shin informed me yesterday that you couldn't be bothered.”

Lyonnel approached his father with caution, darting his gaze around, searching for any traces of Michael. He was puzzled as to why Aria appeared to despise Michael so much; there had to be more than the fact that he had told Luca about Aria's master's last wish.

“How is she doing?”

Lyonnel wrinkled his brow. He could hear his father's desperation in his voice and couldn't help but believe that Hera must be a reason for Luca's current attitude and how terrible he looked, with a black shadow beneath his weary eyes, as if he hadn't slept in days, and he appeared to have aged a lot since Lyonnel had last seen him.

“Hera is in good health. Well... I can't seem to reach her. She avoided me like a plague.” Lyonnel groaned as he massaged his temples. “I could only observe her from afar, and her guardian would never allow Shie to get too close to her. But her relationship with the Greene servants was good, and so was her relationship with Lady Ruth.”

“... Is that so?”

“She even attended Sixon's event with Ysmay and Kyle. As a result, there's a rumor that she's their new adoptive sister.”

Lyonnel was irritated by the gossip among the noblewomen; Hera was his sister, so how could she now be referred to as his cousin this time?

“What?” Luca's exhausted eyes widened. “Was she aware of either the painting or the rumor? What was her reaction?”

“Mrs. R presented the painting to Grandma, and Hera somehow saw it and then had this... This was a very unexpected reaction. She seemed terrified and alarmed when she saw the painting. I'm not sure why.”

Luca was silent. After seeing that painting of Hera, it began to appear in Luca's dreams and made his nightmare more vivid than before. The sound of pleading and screams with a burning flesh scent became more and more intense.

It's been days since he hasn't been able to sleep peacefully, and Michael hasn't been able to meet with Aria since Luca discovered she was trapped here with them. Luca needed that dream to stop and wanted to know why Aria was torturing him with all those nonsense dreams.

And yesterday, after weeks of Michael trying to meet her but failing, she appeared in Luca's dream and urged him to go to the memorial and wait.

“Did you have a dream about Hera? Do you think it was Aria who sent those dreams to you?”

Lyonnel's sudden question caused Luca's brow to frown and his face to darken. “How did you know? Wait... how did you know about Aria?”

“Well... Grandma mentioned all about her when she spoke with Mrs. R. You see, Mrs. R was able to paint Hera because... she dreamed about her. And I became curious and wanted to meet her.” And for a whole other reason.

“And did you meet her?”

“Yes…”

Luca fell quiet when he heard that. It upset him that Lyonnel could meet with Aria so easily; he now suspected that Aria's appearance in his dream was due to Lyonnel. Had she told him something?

Seeing his father in deep thought, Lyonnel didn't say anything and waited there in silence, lost in his own thoughts. Until a thought occurred to him and he inadvertently blurted something.

“Aria could only make someone dream of something that had already happened? I don't think Mrs. R ever met Hera before. She even thought it was her friend she was painting at first. She was painting before she knew about Hera.”

Lyonnel didn't realize he was saying what was on his mind and completely did not see how distraught his father's expression was at his words.

“What kind of dream was she having?”

“She portrayed the dream in that painting. You see the painting, it must be a happy dream.”

Luca's face darkened. He'd seen the painting. He'd seen how happy his daughter looked in that painting. He wanted to see it too, even though it was just in his dream, but all he dreamt about was Hera's death and that painting was simply there to mock him, because he could not see his daughter being happy in his dream. That's why he wanted to meet with Aria. He needed an explanation.

Sensing something wrong with Luca's mood, Lyonnel narrowed his eyes slightly. “You never answer me. Why are you here?”

“Aria directed me here. But, because she didn't seem to like Michael, I told him not to come.” Luca shook his head as he remembered Aria's expression when he tried to even utter Michael's name in his short dream.

Lyonnel scoffed at that. It's more than just dislike. Aria despises Michael, and it reflects on her sudden rage in his dream. But Lyonnel didn't say anything about that.

“It's been a long time. I heard you were constantly cleaning it. Do you know what is written here?” Luca rubbed the writing engraved on his wife's memorial, the writing he couldn't read because it had faded with time. “I let your grandmother take care of all the details for this memorial. I have no idea what is written on the memorial. Did you know what's written on it?”

“...”That was something that slipped from his mind. The reason why Lyonnel hurriedly came to the memorial was to make sure that his other sister's name was also engraved on that memorial.

Without saying anything, Lyonnel kneeled down in front of the memorial and began to trace the engraving on it seriously. Unfortunately, he really couldn't read what was written on his mother's memorial that well with all the corrosion the first time he knew the location of the memorial.

It took a long time, but soon enough, there was a part that he repeatedly traced with his finger.

Luca could only remain near him and wait, as Aria had told him to do, while letting Lyonnel do what he believed that woman had instructed his son to do in his dream.

Lyonnel began to murmur something and then his finger stopped. His whole body was frozen on the specific word he somehow read with his finger.

Here lies a beloved mother and daughter...

A mother and... A daughter....

Our beautiful wife and mother, Ammely Greene-Silverna...

And our beautiful daughter and sister, Ranna Silverna...

Our beautiful daughter and sister...

Ranna Silverna...

 

Announcement

To be honest, I had a plot line for this novel, but it got a little off track, but it's still headed in the right way. I promise.

This concludes the first volume of this story, and I will begin volume two after I give the first volume a thorough revision, add more details, and reassign some characters and their roles in this story, as I found some of them were not in line with what would happen later and were too crowded for me to write.

This is my first story that I let others read. I'm still not as good as the other writers. (While writing this, I read a great story that made me feel a bit insecure, but hey, I'm only at my first story, so there's still room for improvement.)

I will tag this story as complete for now until I come back.

Thank you for reading this story up until this point. I appreciate all of the comments and likes, even if I'm too timid to reply and keep thinking about what to say until I ended up not replying at all (so sorry about that).

The following is something about the second volume.

Spoiler

It is about Hera's childhood. That's why I need to re-read the first volume and write everything I forgot or just thought of while writing other chapters, just to make sure everything is in order.

[collapse]

5