Chapter 1: The warmth of good food
238 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

-?????-

The world is full of hateful and hurtful people, where apathy and betrayal run rampant. This world is really....unfair, that's what the boy thought as the boot crushed, and smothered his chubby hands into the roadside dirt. The small pebbles that pierced his palm were as sharp and ruthless as knives digging out his baby soft flesh. The boys eyes that had previously shown a hopeful light, now dimmed into shallow pools of black. His doll like face paled at the new sensations assaulting his bare and broken body.

"Count yourself lucky that it was me, and not that useless bastard," the man sneered as he finally lifted his finely decorated boot. " At least with me, I'll leave you one leg to walk on...," he spat as he stomped his foot down on the boys ankle.

"!" 

The boy curled up his badly bruised and bloodied hands when he felt the bones of his ankle snap. His face scrunched up as he bit his lips trying to stifle the pain.

"Oh, so willful? Were you raised like that, or could it be your...?" the man licked his dry lips only to stop and look towards the quiet, beautiful youth who had grabbed hold of his pristine sleeve.

The beautiful youth who had been standing behind him nodded, and looked on with a solemn air as he stepped back once again. 

The man shook his head as he looked back down at the curled up and quivering child. He was fair and doll like, a bit on the smaller side, but with the air of a giant. Given time this child could mature into a pretty fearsome thing, but time was not kind to him. He had barely turned eight when he was deemed an obstacle fit for disposal, and why was that? Well, the man could only say that fate was a cruel bitch. And he was the man employed by that bitch to stomp this child into hell.

So that's what he was going to do, no questions asked, no pity given. Listen child, this is just your lot in life. It had nothing to do with him, nothing to do with the beautiful youth who stood behind him and watched the scene with lifeless eyes.

With resolution in every step he took, every move he made, he kicked the boy into the steep muddy embankment, causing him to rupture his lips and let out a small yelp.

"Listen here, you're one lucky son of a bitch. You were born into a great life, but you didn't earn it. So when someone takes it away, you have no right to complain," the man scoffed at the boy now laying face up, his fair but now marred skin covered in blood, bruises, and mud. The boys face held little emotion as he stared up at the clear sky listlessly. The sun beat down on his skin, but he found no warmth or comfort, only the coolness of the summer breeze which seemed to freeze his blood.  

"Live or die, that's up to you and the wolves," the man motioned the beautiful youth behind him as he straitened up his appearance and put on a genial face.

"Let us go then," he said solemnly. As the man walked away, the youth behind him picked up the child's belongings and followed closely behind, only sparing one passing glance at the boy in his destined grave. 

 

-The Western Kingdom- City of WyGate-

“Eyes up here please, eyes up here. I promise you, you won’t want to miss this.”

Fai RuLan cast his peach blossom eyes towards the few people passing by, his attempt at enticing others continuously falling flat. An old man turned up his nose in disdain as he walked past.

Old man, isn’t this the third time you’ve walked past today with that look? A new reaction would be nice!

Fai RuLan shoulders sank as he watched the, now familiar, pedestrians walk past him barely giving him a glance. It wasn't that he was a spectacular performer, he knew of many who could perform an act on the street and immediately draw a crowd, whether it was with an instrument or with their body. Unfortunately for Fai RuLan, he was neither a talented singer, no a voluptuous woman who could draw the attention of men. Nor was he fortunate enough to own an instrument to charm their ears with music.

His stage had already been set up in this bustling city for a month, and since it was the middle of spring the area was filled with tourists and locals who took advantage of the nice weather to bargain for goods, he should have had a decent sized crowd......but NOBODY wanted to give him any face!!!

“It’s okay big brother, there’s no accounting for taste with these people.” Yuen XianYu wrinkled his brow at the old man as he walked towards him holding a few pieces of ripened fruit. He took a bite from one and handed another to Fai RuLan.

Fai RuLan took the fruit from the boy and rubbed it against his tattered shirt. He smiled self-deprecatingly at the adorable Xiao Yu. Ahhh, if only people gave him the same amount of face his little brother did, he would never want for a crowd. Xiao Yu barely came up to his shoulders, but as he only turned eighteen last month he was still growing. His worn out clothes, slim, but youth filled face and slender appearance however, reflected their lack of background and income.

"These people, ah?" Fai RuLan let out a huff as he rubbed his little brothers head. "What have I told you Xiao Yu? You remember don't you?" XianYu turned his head away from his big brothers obviously disappointed look. He puffed up his cheeks, his ears slightly reddening under Fai RuLans gaze.

"Our people, ah, I know", he muttered just loud enough to appease RuLan.

"Good, good." Fai RuLan lips hooked up at his brothers shame filled correction. He knew it was hard for Xiao Yu to accept the people of this land as his own, just as it was difficult for the people of this land to accept them. But so long as Xiao Yu put his best foot forward, this new land could provide them a home that their birth place couldn't. 

They were currently in the Western Kingdom of the Silesia empire. Silesia was, in fact, one of the three main powers which controlled the world. It was comprised of four kingdoms, the Western Kingdom, the Eastern Kingdom, Southern Kingdom and Northern Kingdom. The Western Kingdom was known for its commerce and greed, the Eastern Kingdom for its inventions, ingenuity and inflexibility, the Southern kingdom for its agriculture, warmth and xenophobia, while the Northern kingdom was the playground of the rich and famous. The Northern kingdom was were the imperial family and many other government officials were located. Safe to say, it was an area for those rich in blood, a place Fai RuLan was confident he would never be able to step into.

It wasn't that they were forbidden from going to the Northern kingdom, but more like the thought of entering that place where devils wore angel masks was akin to seeking death for Fai RuLan. It really wasn't a place for the unprepared or kindhearted. 

"Maybe we should change locations? This area seems to be the most crowded but if people are too busy shopping they won't spare us a glance." Fai RuLan rubbed the back of his neck as he kept grimacing over other locations. He wanted a big crowd, but it was probably better to start small and slowly gain a following. " I guess we can just take a break at aunty Lili's for a while and help her out. What do you say?"

Fai Rulan just wanted Xiao Yu to understand that the people of this land weren't naturally xenophobic, it was only that the people of Silesia have been shaped by the many years of tension they had with their homeland, the empire of Suzhou located in the East. Xiao Yu nodded. He liked aunty Lili since she had also immigrated here with her family many years ago. Though they weren't from the same home land, they could understand each other as they were all considered outsiders.

After packing up their crudely made stage, alright it really couldn't even be called a stage when it was only a couple of broken down wooden crates nailed haphazardly together, they headed to aunty Lili's restaurant. 

The restaurant was a modest little place, only the locals who wanted a nice home cooked meal would even think to come to this hidden gem. The sign was small and faded, the outside a bit run down, but what it lacked in appearance it made up for in the warm atmosphere.

The prices were reasonable compared to those more well known restaurants, and that was mainly because of aunty Lili's belief that all people deserved a good home cooked meal, regardless of their ability to pay. That's what made aunty Lili the sweetheart of WyGate in Fai RuLans opinion. The place didn't turn much profit, but aunty Lili didn't care, her husband and daughter made money outside the restaurant to keep their family afloat in a country where the cost of living only rose.

"Ah, Fai baby, little baby Yu you came," aunty Lili ran out from the kitchen as soon as she saw the two boys, face covered in flour and smiles. She gave them each a hearty hug and led them to a back table. "Sit baby, sit. What would you two like?"

Fai RuLan shook his head and shyly scratched at it. "Sorry aunty, we weren't having any luck on the streets so we wanted to take a break and help you out a bit, if you needed it." 

Yuen XianYu looked on at aunty Lili with eyes full of respect. She was the only one who could get his big brother to act helplessly shy and submissive. "Aw, aren't you just a little honey puff, I could use the help, but not help on empty stomachs. Let me gettcha something real quick to snack on, then you can help me wait tables since you two always seem to bring gaggles of girls in."

Aunty Lili sauntered into the kitchen and soon popped out with her home country specialty, guaranteed to warm your insides. It was a nice potatoe based dish that was heavy in meat but didn't skimp on the vegetables either. Fai RuLan brought the spoon up to his mouth, blew off the steam and took a bite. He swallowed and as his lips tugged up he let out a warm, heavy sigh. This warmth was really....something else.

 

6