Born Again
1.6k 14 99
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"So last time we talked, you were stabilizing after your accident." The therapist was flipping through her notes rapidly, confusion evident on her face.

I nodded, playing with the glamulet around my neck idly. 

"And you already unraveled? As a pre-teen girl?"

"Oh! No-no-no. This is a glamour. Sorry." I took off the amulet, but her confusion seemed to deepen. I slicked back my ears as she stared at me wide-eyed. 

"Yeah, I'm still a knot thing. I think the ears and tail are a holdover from the original form they sold me at the Bank of Fluff."

"I… see." She said in a way that heavily indicated she was seeing nothing at all. She blinked several times before speaking again. "I'm sorry. Where was I?"

"Something about my accident?" 

"Yes. How are you coping with… that."

"It hasn't really been on my mind honestly. I vaguely remember feeling angry and depressed, but I'm not really struggling with feelings of broken-ness anymore? If that makes sense? I must admit I try not to think back to it and I haven't really been focused on my body. I'm kinda disconnected, ya know? It's like I don't have a physical form to fuss over for right now. I don't need much sleep, I don't need to bathe, I just get hungry, eat, and pass time."

"That's not unheard of for knot things I suppose. Tell me a little more about your relationship with your body, or lack thereof."

"Oh. Well, I'm a guy, obviously, but right now I don't look or feel like myself? Which isn't terrible because it's frankly less depressing this way. So compared to now, I always felt painfully connected to my body, like it was a prison sentence or something, so I was always aware of what I didn't like about it and stuff. I coped, but with my injury I got really down in the dumps. This new normal is just so different I feel kinda like it isn't real is all? I don't know what else to say."

I watched as she scribbled furiously for what seemed like a full minute before she looked up again. 

"And your appearance now. Is this comfortable for you?"

"Yeah. I mean, I feel a bit smaller than I'd like to, but it just doesn't register otherwise." I turned the glamulet over in my hands idly, swinging it by its chain carefully while I waited for her to finish writing. 

"So there's no residual feelings about your accident?" 

"Should there be? It's not like my leg hurts or anything. I have my mobility back and soon I'll have my old body back too. Kinda like it never happened. Just a bad memory."

She stared at me blankly for a moment before blinking and unfreezing. "It sounds like the Knot thing is doing its job, then… Why do you think your appearance now is feminine and cat-like?"

I pursed my lips as I thought… "If I had to guess… It's probably about half because of the shape I started with and half because--" I felt embarrassed all of a sudden. "Because I used to wish I'd been born a girl," I mumbled. Luckily she seemed to understand me so I didn't have to repeat myself. 

She scribbled on and scratched at her notes for a moment as my mind drifted. It wasn't very comfortable opening up to a stranger like this. 

"Do you have a different name or pronouns you'd like me to use with you?"

I laughed involuntarily. "Ha, no. Jake or Jacob is fine. I'm just a guy, ya know? I'm sure everything will go back to normal when I unravel."

She stared at me dumbfounded, clearly at a loss for words for a long moment. 

"I… I'm kinda uncomfortable with how this session is going if I'm being honest. Can I just… go?"

"I really think--" She cut herself off and pinched the bridge of her nose. "I'm sorry. Yes. You may go. I wish you the best with your unraveling."

"Thanks."

Back in the lobby, Laura stood up as I walked out. 

"That was fast. How are you feeling?"

I could tell my ears were still flat and my tail was flicking wildly so I didn't bother lying. 

"She was being really weird. Can we go home?" I put the glamulet on and led the way out the door. 

"Yeah, whatever you need." 

I grimaced. I was starting to think being weird was contagious.

99