Episode 1-B: [鬼ごっこ / Red Oni’s Mask]
46 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I swear... if I could stay this way all the time, I totally would.

Transforming makes me stronger, faster... hell, I can even see better when I'm like this.

But alas, this is essentially a "work uniform."  And I have work to do.

So after doing a couple of quick stretches to limber up, I make my way into the newly-created [infinite corridor] in pursuit of tonight's target.

"......huh."

Somehow, despite all that time I spent getting ready, I catch sight of him immediately after turning the first corner.

Oh well, less trouble for me.

Deciding on the indirect approach this time around, I take note of my target's pacing and time my steps to be out of sync with his own.

step

STOMP

step

STOMP

step

STOMP

"........."

...you know, one would think that a guy who'd risk cutting through an alley in the worst part of town would at least know to be cautious of his surroundings.

Since I clearly need to be more direct in my approach, I clear my throat as obnoxiously as I possibly can.

"Huh?" The middle-aged alcoholic finally turns around.

Then he takes one look at me and his eyes practically bug out of his head.

"You know, Ojisan..." I start while paying no attention to his gawking, "...you really should be more careful, especially at this time of the year when the seasons are changing."
"The fuck are you going on about?" he spits out.
"Surely your grandparents have warned you about the heightened risk of encountering youkai..."

I instantly close the distance between us.

"...you know, like Oni," I say, flashing a toothy grin.
"Wha-"

Though fear freezes him in place for a split-second, he's quick to regain his senses and backstep just out of my reach.

Looks like his light hasn't completely gone dull after all.

"Q- quit fucking around!" he stammers. "I ain't interested in no gay cosplay host club or whatever the fuck creepy place you're tryin' to drag me to!"
"Eh?" I feign an expression of surprise. "Gay? Host? COSPLAY!?"

Further alarmed by my theatrics, he takes another step back.

"It looks like you've got the wrong idea about quite a few things..." I sigh. "...but let me set you straight on the most important one."

I place a hand to my chest.

"I'm no cosplayer."

I take one step forward.

He takes one step back.

"I'm the real thing."

With my arms outstretched, I take another step towards him.

He retreats yet another step.

"The red Oni of flame..."

With a flick of the wrist, an orb of flame materializes above my left hand.

"...Enki."

As I call forth ten more fireballs... or rather, Onibi... to float around me, a bloodcurdling scream of terror fills the air.

Music to my ears.

Even more amusing is the way he tries to turn around to run, falls on his face, and scrambles back to his feet only to do it all over again.

"Come now..."

I point a finger at the fleeing man.

"...that's no way to act."

And with that, one of my Onibi flies towards him, quickly overtaking him before exploding just far enough away to be safe.

Well, safe-ish.

Thrown back by the force of the blast, my quarry ends up falling flat on his ass. But instead of trying to get back on his feet like I was expecting, he instead spins around and crouches down in a sloppy dogeza.

"P-p-p-pleeeeease!" the man sobs. "Please don't kill me, I don't wanna die!"
"......" I heave a sigh. "...see, you're mistaken yet again."
"Eh?"

He raises his head, a glimmer of hope in his eyes.

"I have no intention of taking your life," I say with a shrug.
"...you don't?"
"No," I shake my head. "...just your [light]."

My mouth warps into a wild grin as I take a couple of steps towards the hapless idiot.

"...after all," I continue, "it's not like a piece of trash like you has any use for it."

He looks on in utter confusion for a couple of seconds... until he finally realizes that the Onibi that had previously been idly floating around me are starting to move towards him.

"HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII"

With a piglike wail, he scrambles back to his feet and sprints away from me at a speed much faster than his previous attempt to escape.

"What's this, now?" I call out to him. "You're trying to play tag?"

Unfortunately for him, this particular Oni is quick on his feet.

Adjusting my pace to just fast enough to be gradually gaining on him, I pursue my prey down this infinitely winding alleyway.

"...is he..." After a little while of this, the man glances back to see if I'm still there...

...and ends up running right into a wall.

------------------------------

Yeah, this part is always fun. I wasn't expecting him to be stupid enough to actually run straight into a freaking wall, but it's an admittedly appreciated surprise.

It is somewhat disappointing that he doesn't get back up for another doomed attempt to try and get away, though. Instead, he just kind of scoots back until the wall once again blocks his path...

"Alright," I sigh. "Time's up."
"P-..." the man sobs. "...please, don-"
"STOP THAT RIGHT THIS INSTANT!!!"
"!?"

Wha- who-

Twenty minutes definitely haven't passed, so how in the hell-

WHOOSH

...while I'm in the middle of trying to figure out what the hell is going on, a figure darts out in front of me and blocks my path.

God damn it, I should've been more careful before I got started.

"D... don't come any closer!" this new entrant calls out.

The line of sight between myself and my would-be prey is currently blocked by a pair of skirt-covered legs. With a sigh of annoyance, I trace my gaze upwards...

...wha?

UMBRELLA GIRL!?

 

And so ends the first episode.

What do you guys think of our stalwart protagonist?

And the not-so-shocking cliffhanger ending?

1