Storytime
25 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was dark when he got back to camp, well, it had been dark. Heck he barely made it there, he wouldn't have got there if not for the markings he left on trees which he had more than a hard time noticing at night. 

I cannot wait for fire magic! I gotta start practicing tommorow! But I gotta make that table... And I should still be hunting, and excersising now that I think if it. I'm around one poi t above average for now, at least for 13 year olds. I guess I could exercise for 30 minutes, find a way to train dexterity easily, 30 minutes as well. And... Hmmm. I'll make the table when I wake up, I'm really tired, i'll just find it out from there.

...

"That was officially the worst sleep I've ever had."

Yawning, cranky, and stiff, Jackson woke up. He woke up early, it was the type of sleep when you go to bed late and wake up early, but can't go back to bed.

Jackson was actually a morning and night person. Heck, he's ambiverted! It's just not always obvious. Anyways, it's time for work.

"Haah, at least it's moderately entertaing."

...

Prepping planks as one person is hard, especially without all the tools you'd want. Jackson had no illusions of the shelf holding up for a long time. The sides wouldn't be that smooth so they wouldn't fit together well, so it would probably be made of wooden biscuits and lotsa wood glue. At least wood glue isn't too expensive. High leveled alchemists could probably make really strong glue, for a high price of course. Or maybe that was just inflation messing with his head. Gah, he's a kid anyways, we doesn't want to think of inflation.

An hour or so later, the wood was good enough, he wouldn't be using all of it for the shelf so he had a good amount left over. With some of the leftovers he made tiny, diamond shaped things called wood biscuits. Wooden biscuits typically weren't used as much as dowels were, but they still get the job done. Jackson didn't have the expertise to hand make a dowel, nor did he have a drill, so he'd make do. He cut holes on three planks, one plank had two holes on both sides, the others had two on one side. The holes were formed like a valley, to fit biscuits. He tried his best to make, the holes even, using a tape measurer and pencil, the same he used to make sure the planks were of even size, a bit under a metre. 

Then he stuck wood glue on the planks and holes, then put the biscuits in the center plank, then stuck the planks together and hoped for the best.

He didn't know how long it would take to dry, but he'd give it an hour and check, and if not then, he'd give it a day. Finally, he got awarded a notification for his efforts.

Congratulations! You hearned the skill Woodworking!

Finally, gosh, Learning supplements for a crafting skill more than I thought, either that or I'm impatient. Meh, both are likely.

What to do, what to do... Guess I'll head back to camp set up the cooking spit and try to start a fire with my mind, sounds reasonable.

...

Starting a fire with your mind was not reasonable. Well that was obvious, but still dissapointing. Jackson still had no Idea how to conjure heat, cold or hot, he could just move it. When it came to what he did know, nothing was conjured, it was just manipulated. Heck he thinks he knows why there is a manipulation skill while there is a control stat. Control makes magic stronger, while not being more powerful. It's like a malnutritioned old guy beating up a twenty three year old because of plain old skill. Manipulation also is just for that one thing your manipulating, mana manipulation doesn't work with heat manipulation because they're two different things. It's like this, mana control makes manipulation easier, of everything. Jackson had a theory it helped you learn magic faster. 

Heck because that theory he wanted to put his points in control, but didn't. He wanted to save his points for the time he got past the first enhancement. 

Enhancements were how people could survive getting skewered ten times over, albeit with high vitality. Enhancements happened at certain stat thresholds and helped the body endure. There were studies on that sort of thing, making certain organs less vital and able regenerate like a liver. While they were still needed, it made sure you wouldn't die too easily, a skill all people are adept with. The first threshold was all stats being ten, the second one being a total amount of 200 stat points distributed. The first threshold was the only one that required any in specific stats. Jackson wanted to at least hit the first strengthening naturally. There wasn't a special bonus or anything, natural points just came easier when stats were lower. 

Wait, if you debuffed yourself... Thoughts for later. I don't have much of a need for a fire right now, don't have much to cook right now. I want one though.

He lit the fire with his flint and steel. The only reason he had flint and steal was because it was more reliable than a lighter. 

Jackson sat there reading a book to cheer himself up. He wanted someone to talk to, to confide in to tell about what might happen, but he hadn't that in a few years at least. He'd be fine, he thinks. 

At least this book is nice. Let's see... The first necromancer? Sounds intresting.

It was one of many stories in the book, but it held a truth to many didn't know.

...

"Long ago, in a faraway kingdom, a King and Queen that loved each other dearly ruled. They both vowed tbat they would devote themselves to each other, in both life, and death. One day though, the Queen's life would change forever. Her husband had fallen before her, dead. The Queen was wracked with greif, and most of all, regret. She regreted how she hadn't spent more time cherishing him more than she already did, she regretted how she never had a child with the man she loved. As an only child, the queen still held the crown, though now it was just a cause for stress. After mere days, she could bear her grief no longer. The Queen was a very talented spellcaster, in fact, she had a college she foumded on her own, had come up with many spells to inspire hope, but none would be of the same magnitued she desired. Revival. She had commanded servants to dig out her husbands body from the grave, and to bring her bodies from criminals. No-one knew what the queen was doing with the bodies. 

The queen spent years of her life dedicated to it, each test a failure, while her husbands body was perfectly preserved, by a spell the queen designed herself. It is said that the experiments the Queen did were worth leaps and bounds in medical knowledge, enough to make a man rich. One day she had done it. It had worked. 

The body of an unkown criminal rose from the table it was laid upon. Countless hours of research had finally borne fruit. Years of dedication coming to fruition. Yet it was mindless so the queen continued her study. Throughout this study she had come across many spells, some she could only use on herself even. One to stop aging. One to promote growth of organs that weren't even human. Yet she didn't stop. She kept going for her true love. She had long since given up the crown at this point, only a queen in name. And after so much time spent, it happened. She brought him back, with his mind. But he wasn't the same. He was not living, but he was not dead. He was, undead."

"What an interesting story. Looks like it's time to go to bed though. Guess keep trying to learn fire magic and just level skills in general."

Child of Knowledge has leveled up!

"Huh? That's weird, you shouldn't get that much experience from a fictional story with this class... Maybe it's just residual experience."

This story was not fiction, but about the goddess of undeath, Immortuos.

1