Chapter 1: Rise
82 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Karnus feels his body grow more powerful and a bit taller, his shoulders widened and the muscles on his forearms becomes more prominent. The adolescent fat burns away, leaving a lean and hard face as if maturing rapidly. He scoops up all the stray arrows into his quiver until it is full and puts a severed head into a pouch. He sees a lone horse nearby and rides it towards what he feels to be the thick of battle.

As if guided by a supernatural insight, Karnus deduced that Temujin’s forces must have travelled through the Black Forest in the north to ambush Ong Khan’s camp. That is the only possible explanation why there was no alert from the scouts posted in the north and east. The southern portion of the camp is protected by the Tula River. The Mongol army would’ve been spotted and the river has been its widest since the start of the rain season.

Strange. I have never understood the flow of battle so clearly and easily before? Is this the effect of the [The Mind’s Eye]?

Amidst the chaos of the camp, Karnus sees the flow of battle and it is ugly. The battle started with a floodgate of Mongol soldiers blasting their way through the camp but now the flow has been stymied. The resistance to the flow Karnus believes is that Ong Khan’s army is reforming their ranks and setting up a base of command.

Then I must go to them.

Then he came across a trio of  young warriors surrounded by Mongol horsemen. They fight with desperation, never giving up in the face of certain death. Karnus unleashes a hail of arrows that sends them into panic. He takes advantage of their confusion and charges his horse towards them cutting them down from behind. The trio seeing the opening pounces on their attackers, attacked from two sides the Mongols flees before being annihilated.

The trio took the dead men’s horses and approached Karnus to give their thanks.

“Thank you for saving us.” The oldest of them, Baidu, said.

“We would’ve been slaughtered like sheeps if it weren’t for you.” Attila concedes, the youngest of them says, he might be one or two years older than Karnus.

“Come with us. We might have a better chance of fleeing if we work together. What is your name?” Taimur asks.

“My name is Karnus. No, I am not fleeing. I am joining the battle.” Karnus replies.

“Why? You will only find death there.” Atilla is incredulous so is Baidu but Taimur stays silent waiting for an explanation.

“Temujin is tightening his iron grip on the camp and the only way to survive this is to regroup the army.”

“That’s impossible. Everyone is being killed or fleeing.” Baidu exclaims.

“Yes, it is possible otherwise there would’ve been more Mongols mopping up the camp but as you can see only those of lesser mettle began the looting. The real Mongol warriors are still occupied.” Karnus explains, kicking the shoddy shield of a fallen Mongol.

The trio slowly realize that Karnus is right. The Mongols attacking them were wearing low quality equipment and no armor. They look at their young savior with new found respect. He is younger than all of them but acts in a calm and calculated manner.

“I will follow you, Karnus.” Taimur finally speaks, “I owe you my life and I have nothing left except to avenge my fallen family.”

“If Taimur trust you enough, then I too shall follow you.” Baidu follows suit taking cue from Taimur.

“Are you morons serious? We just escaped death and now you want to go back to that death trap!” Atilla cries out to his companions.

“Yes and it is thanks to Karnus that I still stand under the Eternal Blue Sky. I have no place to go and no relatives.” Taimur states his reasons, “Atilla, you don’t have to follow us. You still have your mother’s tribe to take shelter.”

Atilla considers for a moment then sighs.

“So be it, I will follow you Karnus. Not because I want to die but I hate my mother’s tribe and I will probably be killed if I escape alone.” Atilla grins pats Baidu, “Besides, who is going to save this big paf when he gets into trouble?”

“I don’t need saving.” Baidu complains, puffing up his chest.

“You just had to be the hero and save those lovely girls.” Atilla teases Baidu, the burly man reddens.

“What should we do next, brother?” Taimur asks respectfully. As they have decided to follow Karnus, they accepted his leadership and in turn Karnus is responsible for their safety.

“We must raise an army first.” Karnus says before galloping. Taimur, Atilla, and Baidu are confused but they followed.

 

 

As Karnus predicted, they encounter another group of Kerait warriors who are surrounded by the real warriors of Temujin.

“Fire three arrow volley then cut them down from behind!” Karnus directs the group. The arrows find their mark on the necks of the Mongols. It was no less than expected from a people that saddles their infants on horses before they could walk and put bows instead of toys in their hands. But what is not expected is the speed of Attila’s arrows, the accuracy of Taimur, and the power of Baidu whose arrow punched through the Mongol’s warrior’s throat. The enemies shows their mettle as they did not panic but remained discipline to absorb the attack, they would’ve defended successfully had it not been for the Kerait warriors’ quick reaction. The hunted became the hunter, Karnus’s squad and the Kerait warriors annihilated the attackers.

Karnus approaches them and shouts “Follow me if you want to live.”

The Kerait, confused and desperate, followed Karnus as he collects the shattered remnants of the Ong Khan army. By saving those who were surrounded and raising the banner, Karnus attracted the leaderless Kerait warriors to his swelling host.

“So this is what you meant by raising an army.” Taimur confers with Karnus as they setup a temporary headquarters. Horsemen goes out to search for survivors and comes back with civilians, foodstuffs, weapons, carts, horses, and most importantly, warriors. According to the latest tally, they have over a thousand warriors and thrice as many civilians.

Karnus laid out a map showing the position of enemies and allies he extracted from his scouts and survivors. Jebe and Mukhali are battering the core of the Ong Khan army while the sons of Temujin are laying waste to the camp. Temujin on the other hand is camped up north with his core army. The surviving forces of Khadakh and Ong Khan are camped near the foot of Jejer Heights. Karnus is camped near the Tula River south of the camp which has become a battlefield.

“An enemy detachment is gathering toward our location.” Erlek reports as he and a group of veteran Kerait warriors enters the makeshift tent serving as headquarters . Erlek is one of the senior officers in Ong Khan’s own command.

“We must wait for Atilla.” Baidu replies from the corner.

“We have already waited too long. Temujin has become aware of our position. He aims to strike us to clear his flank for the final assault.” Erlek answers firmly. Atilla was tasked by Karnus to gather survivors who have fled northeast with the other five hundred of their best cavalry. They haven’t come back and dawn is breaking. There are already rumours of desertion as people are getting anxious.

“We must go to the main force, brother.” Taimur says. Karnus looks at the people around him and sees they are on the edge as Temujin’s blade is bearing down on them.

“Everybody, lets move out and join the main host!” Karnus relays his orders. His commanders immediately mobilizes.

2