Mysterious Blue Bar
3.5k 6 74
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

AN: So I've been binge listening to a bunch of Yoko Taro game OST's (check them out they are beautiful) and I'm now close to tears. I may not make it~

Ah~ They are so nice!!! This is my unofficial recommendation if you like orchestral songs. Any of his games will do, they all have awesome songs in them. Also, for those who don't care, here's my BL recommendation since my last seemed to be well known already.

"Stone Age husband raising journal". It's pretty tame but lots of fun. MC is super cool, snarky and shockingly, a gong. ML is a sweetie~

*****

Xieren had woken up some time ago, a bit gloomy.

This couldn't be helped. He had been wishing for years to hold his master in his arms but the man's sleeping habits made it impossible!

At first, he thought that his superior strength would be enough but his master was a lot more flexible than he recalled. Not only could the man roll about the room, past dozens of obstacles but he could also slip from his embrace with ease.

It was like trying to pick up a cat that didn't want to move.

His only reprieve was that his master wasn't too far from him, as the bed was large enough for 3 people but elevated. While Xieren would have preferred a smaller bed, for his plans, he needed this kind of bed and this was the smallest one the inn had.

This was an inn frequented by prostitutes and their clients so it made sense.

Curiously, his master's ability to overcome anything in his way was easily stopped by one thing: Elevation. The junior had watched with amusement at his master rolled to the very edge of the bed and stopped.

Could he sense the edge?

Curious, he waited to see if his master would move. When he saw that he wasn't moving, Xieren drew close, effectively trapping the elder between him and the edge of the bed. He wanted to draw him close but knowing his master's sleeping habits, he knew it wouldn't go well.

Still, he allowed himself to lay beside him, watching him sleep. While he was exhausted himself, the chance to see his beloved master like this was not something he could pass up. So for a while, he stared, a faint smile on his lips as he played with the elder's hair.

It was still a bit wet and reflected the moonlight in such a way, how could he not get close? As if sensing him, Liang Fei frowned and squirmed, knowing he couldn't move away but unwilling to get closer.

This made the younger man feel very uncomfortable, as there were sensitive parts being carelessly teased by the man's actions.

"Shizun, don't push me." He growled as his hands went around the elder. Despite his own words, he pulled the man closer until there was nothing between them but their clothes. "I only have so much control."

Liang Fei, unaware of the danger his chastity was in, continued to sleep, trying to get closer to Xieren. Despite the warm bath, Liang Fei was still cold and sensed something really warm nearby. How could he not grab it?

Thus Xieren was left, stone still as his master snuggled close to him, burying himself into the demon king's robes like he was making a nest there. The elder shivered and kept trying to get closer.

"Cold..." Liang Fei shivered, curling up a bit. 

Without a word, Xieren closed all the windows in the room with his Qi and used his power to heat the room. He very rarely used his elemental abilities, preferring to kill his enemies with his sword but today he felt no hesitation.

His master had been wandering the woods for days and stood out on the roof. The silly man had to be freezing, even after his bath. What's worse was that the room had thin sheets despite being on the top floor.

Probably to promote the occupants to share body heat. 

Perhaps some other day, Xieren would appreciate the sentiment but this night, he didn't want his master to suffer from the chill. Especially with his now mortal body.

So the two of them laid together within the slowly warming room, enjoying the others company. Xieren fell asleep soon afterward, a mix of the comfortable warmth surrounding him and the contentment that he finally had his beloved master here with him, nestled in his arms.

Perhaps this was what happiness is like.

***

Elsewhere, two women walked side by side, enjoying the other company more than was probably appropriate.

The more time Xinyi spent with Yao Da, the more she felt like she had finally found someone she could relate to. While the demoness wasn't into Alchemy or medicine, she held an equal amount of passion for gems as Xinyi did for her trade.

They bantered for what felt like hours as they walked back to town, somehow growing closer as they spoke. It was a strange feeling, to feel so at ease and relaxed in the company of someone who was supposed to be her enemy.

Yao Da had clearly meant to hide her identity as a demon but Xinyi, as someone who constantly used Qi to create her medicines, could sense her demonic aura. When she drew close, the wisps of demonic energy surged within the woman, fascinating the alchemist more than her stories.

Sensing it, she felt nostalgic. It was the same feeling that attracted her to Xieren so long ago. At the time, she had only heard of demons, so she had no frame of reference when confronted by someone with a strange aura.

Thinking back on it, she felt thankful that she was the only one to notice when they were young. Had it not been for her special brew and Xieren's training, everyone would have noticed just how different Xieren was. Even when she realized what Xieren was, she didn't feel any fear.

Human or demon, Xieren was still her sworn brother. He would always be that in her heart, no matter how much of an ass he was for leaving her behind.

Yao Da was just about to start explaining the difference between precious and semi-precious gems when she heard her companion let out a sigh.

"Ah, don't do that!" The elder woman warned, scowling at her companion. "You'll lose your soul if you sigh like that."

"Will you retrieve it for me then?" Xinyi joked, leaning her head on Yao Da's shoulder. She briefly wondered of all demons were tall or if she was just short.

"Don't joke around." She scolded, placing a hand on Xinyi cheek. "What's the matter, little one?

Xinyi smiled, liking the nickname though she would prefer it if this demoness would call her by her name. Yet she held her tongue, not wanting to be too trusting just because they got along well.

They were still cultivator and demon after all.

"I was just thinking about my brother.

"The one you are searching for?" She pressed, recalling how Xinyi had mentioned it before. Seeing how much affection the young woman spoke with when talking about him, Yao Da felt more curious about this man.

Xinyi nodded. "When we were young, he and I were very close." She said, thinking back to those happy times with the three of them. "He was a lot like you."

Yao Da cocked a brow. "Like me?" 

"A demon." She clarified, seeing her companion's eyes arrow.

"So you knew."

"Yes."

"And you still stayed with me?" She questioned, feeling a bit confused by this humans' actions. She knew yet still slept so soundly around her? "Aren't you too trusting?"

"You wouldn't hurt me?"

"What makes you say that?"

"Instinct."

"You're instinct lead you to try and outrun a bear." she pointed out, deadpan.

"It's not always right but it isn't always wrong either.

"Spoke like a true idiot." Yao Da huffed, amused by this cute yet stupid girl.

"Don't be mean."

"I'm a demoness." She shot back. "We're meant to be mean."

"Xieren wasn't."

"Xieren?" Yao Da frowned, wondering why this human knew that name. "Is that your brother? The demon?"

"Yes, though I'm not sure he was fully one. He felt a bit different from you."

"How so?"

"I'm not sure. He just wasn't."

"What did he look like?" She demanded, feeling a bit of a strange tingle rush through her. Could this little one know her master? After hearing her description, she felt more sure. "You know Lord Xieren?"

"Y-you know Xieren!?"

"I... might..."

Xinyi beamed, feeling  such relief. If this woman knew Xieren, then she could help her find the man. While Xinyi had a basic destination, which was the city she and uncle Han were residing, outside of asking around, she had no means of finding Xieren.

It had been frustrating and demoralizing, hitting wall after wall. Yet it the demons words were true then... then...

"Won't you take me to-"

"No." She snapped, glowering down at the human. While Yao Da had some affection for the little one, she wasn't about to lead her to her master.

"W-why not?! He's my brother!"

"How am I to know that?"

"You don't trust me?" Xinyi stepped in front of Yao Da, giving her a hard look.

"I trust you as much as you trust me, Little one." Yao Da crossed her arms, staring down at the little human with confidence. She was not going to be outdone by this little thing.

"What do you mean by that?"

"How many days have we traveled and you have yet to tell me your name?" The demoness snapped, failing to hide her grievance. She had truly enjoyed their time together but she could tell the little one was holding back.

She understood why but that didn't change her feelings on the matter.

"As have you." Xinyi shot back, seeing the small hint of hurt in her companion's eyes.

"Yes, but I'm not demanding trust, am I?" Yao Da moved passed her, not wanting to looking into her eyes anymore. She saw way too much. "Besides, it would be pointless anyway. We'll have to part ways soon enough."

"Part ways?" Xinyi cried, feeling pained at the notion. She didn't want them to part ways.

"I have a mission to complete." 

"I see." Yet having spent enough time beside this woman, Xinyi knew that she was just a side road. This demoness had something else she needed to do.

Silence fell between the two, neither wanting to say any more lest they reveal too much of their own hearts. Neither understood the feelings growing between them, having never heard of such a thing between two women.

It was new and therefore scary ground.

Yet Yao Da was a brazen woman and spoke first.

"But I would still like to know your name." She said, looking away as she spoke, lest the little one behind her see her flushed face. "Perhaps later, after my mission... we can meet up once more and talk more?"

"I would like that." Xinyi sighed with relief, having been wishing for such a thing in her heart. While she couldn't be sure why she felt so reluctant to part with this beautiful woman, she wasn't about to deny herself if the offer was made. "I just ask that you please give Xieren a message for me, if that isn't too much?"

"...Fine." The elder huffed, feeling a bit annoyed. Why was her little one so insistent on seeing her master. Her lord was amazing, yes but so was she damn it. "If it's just that, I can do that."

"Thank you." Xinyi walked over, staring up at the slightly taller woman. "Just tell him that his sister, Xinyi, is looking for him and misses him greatly. I'll find him soon enough."

"...Xinyi?"

***

The next morning, despite his assurance that he'd wake up seeing his masters sleepy and handsome face, Xieren woke up staring at the wall. His arms empty despite having not moved the entire night.

For a moment, Xieren panicked, thinking his master had broken his promise again and left. That moment in time was a dark one, sinister thoughts running through the man's head. Thoughts of chains and collars to keep his surprisingly reckless master from leaving his side.

Yet that moment ended just as quickly, seeing a familiar back facing him as Liang Fei stared out into space. From the slight swaying, his master was daydreaming again. Xieren smiled, his previous gloomy mood evaporating as if it was a mere illusion.

Shizun was still there.. . On the other side of the bed... How does he keep getting around him!? Was he magic?

What Xieren hadn't known was that his master wasn't capable of teleporting, at least not this night. No, his later position was due to something simpler.

The man had woken up and moved.

At some point during the night, Laing Fei had been woken up by a loud beeping sound the refused to go away no matter how much his dream self hit the snooze button. But he didn't want to open his eyes yet. It was so nice a warm.

The wall he'd been pressed against was very nice, warm, firm and smelled nice too. He didn't really want to move away. Yet the beeping wouldn't stop!!

With great reluctance, Liang Fei opened his eyes grumpily and saw... Xieren's sleeping face.

To say the elder was surprised would be an understatement. To wake up in another embrace was one thing. To wake up in the arms of a male was another. Yet to wake up in the embrace of your student whose hand was on one's ass was another universe altogether.

To make things even more strange, certain matching parts were pressing against one another. As a fellow male, Liang Fei knew just how inconvenient some biological realities were but he felt very flustered feeling that hard thing being rubbed against his own.

His own reaction to the stimulation couldn't be helped either. He was still a man after all.

"Naughty child." He scolded, gently smacking the hand away and moving away. It was only due to years of practice that he effectively put his hand out and caught himself when he fell over the edge.

As he recovered from the shock, the innocent hand of that naughty child that had just been fondling a soft thing reached out, searching for it once more. The junior very much liked that soft and firm thing it had been holding and wanted to play with it more.

But the owner of that soft and firm thing refused to allow himself to be manhandled again. His focus was on the damnable beeping sound that woke him up. Walking over the other side of the bed, Liang Fei saw a familiar notification floating before his eyes.

"Another email from that weird god person." He muttered, lazily blinking the envelop open. He hadn't bothered to read the subject line, too tired to care too much.

[To: Host 'Liang Fei']

[From: Chongsheng, God of Reincarnation]

[Yo, host! How ya doing. We spoke before but due to circumstances, we can't meet 'face to face' again. Anyway, you might have figured out, it turns out your precious student is the hero of the world. Who knew, right? Anyway, the reason I'm contacting you is cause something has gone wrong and the world is still rolling down a dark path. I'm sure you don't want that so I'll be sending you some tasks after this to keep the plot on a brighter path. Do them. Immediately. Don't wait cause we don't have that kind of time!

Now usually, it would be one of my systems giving out these tasks but you are contracted to Q and I personally doing trust it to watch paint dry so we'll have to do things a smidgen differently.

PS: Sorry about the headache.]

"Headache? What head-Gyah!" He cried out, holding his head as pain raced through it. It was similar to the feelings he felt when the original Shao Liang Fei's memories seeped into his mind, yet a lot more intense.

Was this how it was supposed to be?!

When the pain stopped, Liang Fei looked up to see what he'd gotten for his trouble.

[Automated System Notification]

[Host 'Liang Fei' has been assigned task01]

[Task 01: Relieve the Protagonists frustration]

[Reward: Cultivation manual. Will allow the host to gain more energy.]

Frowning, Xieren looked back to glance at the sleeping junior beside him. That man hadn't moved yet but something jumped out at Liang Fei.

There were now two small bars above Xieren's head. One was red and the other blue. At that moment, the blue bar was halfway full while the red was only a third full.

What either pertained to, was a mystery to the elder who reached out to touch them. To no one's surprise, he couldn't touch them. Like the email notification, only Liang Fei could see them.

"What is that?" He muttered, to which his notification box was happy to explain as vaguely as possible.

[Details: Host's task is to ensure that the red bar remains as high as possible while the blue bar remains as low as possible.]

Is it just that? Staring at the bars, Liang Fei felt a bit lost. There was no clarification on what the bars were or how to keep them in check. Was he to just guess?

Moreover, what was this about Xieren's frustration? What could he be upset about? Better yet, why would that be an issue for the world?

All these questions and more went unanswered as Xieren woke up to see his master staring into space. Seeing the man sitting there filled the junior with such a comfortable feeling, he could help but reach out and touch him.

His hands slid down Liang Fei's back, eliciting a shudder from the man. He jumped to his feet, nearly falling over as he turned back to Xieren.

"Shizun?" Xieren reached out, intending to catch the elder but relaxed when he saw him regain his balance. They both quietly sighed in relief.

"I'm sorry. I'm just not used to this body yet." It had been a while since he died and he'd gotten used to a cultivator's body. Now that he was back in his old body, he reflexes weren't even half as good as before.

He'd have to hurry so he could regain his own strength.

"About that body... whose is it?" Xieren asked, having wanted to ask this the night before. "It's not yours."

"It's mine. Am I not within it now?" He replied carefully.

"But why are you in a different body?"

How was he supposed to answer that? The truth would just make him sound crazy but he didn't want to lie to Xieren either.

"After I died, my soul wandered about for a long time until I found a way to return. It was set up before I died, so I ended up caught up in someone else's scheme and woke up in this body." He explained, his tone smooth and steady as he wove this tale. "Unfortunately, this body is mortal, so I'm seeking a means to get stronger."

All of this was technically the truth. Add in gods and systems and this was all stuff that had happened. He'd hate to have lied so he hoped Xieren wouldn't ask any more questions.

"And the person who's scheme Shizun got caught up in?" Xieren pressed, his expression unreadable.

"They aren't in this world anymore so there's no need to be concerned." This Liang Fei wasn't sure about but assumed it would be fine to say.

"So... the body belongs to you now?"

It always belonged to me but... I can't say that now, can I?

"Yes."

The two stared at one another, the air tense as Liang Fei's words sunk in. The elder wasn't sure if his tale would be believed. If not, he'd have to consider telling Xieren the truth and hoping the man believed him. He didn't want to be seen as crazy.

Yet to his surprise, Xieren started to chuckle instead. The elder blinked at the junior, confused.

"Sorry but it's just that Shizun looked different, so I wasn't sure." Xieren explained, sitting up and smiling at his master. Seeing him there was making him way too happy. "I can't help but think... this body suits you much more though."

Looking the man over, he felt like he was truly looking at his master for the first time. Compared to Shizun's previous look, his master's current body was much more... him. It was a strange thought and he couldn't explain the feeling but something screamed that what he was seeing was 'right'.

"You think so?"

Liang Fei felt the same but was honestly expecting more of a fight. He seemed to be taking this strangely well.

Elsewhere, a certain system worked hard to ensure that its freebie was doing its job. All the while, its boss loomed over it impatiently. But that system's fate was a tale for another day.

At present, the two men stared at one another, one much happier than the other. Xieren was practically buzzing with joy.

"Absolutely." Xieren sighed, crawling to the edge of the bed to take hold of Liang Fei's sleeve. "I feel grateful to the owner, for bringing Shizun back to me."

Liang Fei felt somewhat the same, having missed his old body since his death. While being Shao Liang Fei was amazing, it felt like he was wearing a very nice but ill-fitting suit.

"En" He nodded, only then noticing the curious sight before him.

The bars beside Xieren's head had shifted somewhat. The red bar was now 3/4ths full.

He must have done something right then. 

Meanwhile, Xieren was feeling great. He was sure his master had noticed their position before and even now, with them so close to one another, his master had yet to complain.

It wouldn't be presumptuous to assume his master was okay with skinship, would it?

To test his theory, Xieren tugged on his master's sleeve, pulling the elder man into his arms. Mortal as he was, Liang Fei couldn't stop his motion and landed back to chest with his student. Xieren wrapped his arms around his master's middle, pulling him close and enjoying the moment.

It was the best~

Though the elder didn't share the feeling.

"Are you attempting to take advantage of me, Xieren?" He scolded, his eyes flashing with indignation.

But Xieren knew when to play the innocent.

"How do you mean?"

"Just because I am mortal at the moment, doesn't mean you can treat me like this." Liang Fei grumbled, feeling small. He disliked how easy it was to overpower him. How was he supposed to protect himself of Xieren if he was so easily moved?!

"Doesn't Shizun like hugs?" He shot back, nuzzling closer. "You always gave them out so freely before."

Back when Shizun was pretending to be mortal, he'd often give Xieren hugs and praise. It had been such a treat and the young demon loved every second of it. After they returned, it was obvious that such actions couldn't be done but Xieren still missed it.

Yet despite his masters 'flawless disguise', Xieren still figured out who his precious big brother was, even if his master hadn't realized it yet. His previous words should have alerted the elder of this but the man was too focused on the moment.

Mainly, how close his student had gotten to his neck.

"That was when you were a child." He snapped, pushing Xieren's face away. Had it not been for his hair being in the way, Xieren would have seen the slight blush on his master's cheek. "As adults, it might be misunderstood if others saw."

"So it's fine if we're alone?"

What kind of logic was that!? Liang Fei turned, giving his student a scolding look. The fact that this look was being done was the elder sat on the junior's folded legs was lost on the man.

"Xieren..." Liang Fei said, his tone low and authoritative. Despite the difference in strength, it was clear who was in charge at that moment.

Xieren shivered, holding back a moan as he imagined very impure things.

"S-sorry." He stammered, holding his hands up in surrender. He felt somewhat thankful when his master stood up. Any longer and his reaction to his own fantasy might have become impossible to hide.

That all was until he heard his master's stomach growl.

 "Ah, is Shizun hungry?" He asked, curious. He, as a cultivator, didn't need to eat nearly as often but if master was mortal now, he must be hungry.

"...I do, indeed, hunger for food."

"Then let's go and get some food." Xieren offered, pushing the elder man to get dressed. If his inner robes weren't changed soon, Xieren swore he'd be using their bed for more than just sleeping.

***

Xieren and Liang Fei's quest for food went on much longer than anticipated. Not from a lack of options, mind you but from a surplus of them.

The two munched on various snacks as they walked through the city aimlessly. As Xieren actually had money, they had spent most of the day shopping. Liang Fei had been wearing clothes not suitable for winter and Xieren refused to see his master suffer a second longer.

As expected, the elder complained but was assured that he could just pay Xieren back later. They were after all, not strangers, so a treat or two was no problem.

In his heart, Liang Fei swore he'd make sure to pay the man back for his kindness. 

As the day wore on, Liang Fei began to take notice of the strange decorations being set up. When he'd been in town before, everything was bare and mundane but now the streets were covered in bright lights and colorful bands.

"What is... all this?"

"Ah, I suppose the annual festival is starting again." The junior sighed, looking uninterested. Xieren didn't much care for the festival on a personal note. To him, it just reminded him of his previous life of hardship. Before he remembered what he was and his struggle to survive on his own.

He mainly kept it around because of the revenue it provided his city and the morale boost. Functionally, it was necessary.

Yet now, Liang Fei stood beside him, his eyes glowing with excitement, much to Xieren's surprise.

"Festival!?" He gasped, looking around like a child in a candy store. "Like that time before?"

"En, I told you before about it, right?"

Xieren had actually forgotten about that time, having wanted to bury the memories deeper than an abyss. He'd lost his master then, that being his worst memory. But with it, he'd accidentally buried one of his most precious ones.

His promise to his master.

Liang Fei looked around the place, spotting familiar-ish stalls. While the elder had never attended a festival himself, he knew what things were there. Food, games and the like there to entertain attendees.

And now he was in the middle of one!!!

"Are those... games?" He grabbed Xieren's arm, pointing at a nearby stall with barely restrained elation. Xieren couldn't be sure but there was something wistful about the way his master said those words, as if expectant and yearning.

He had to fulfill that yearning.

"Yes. Due to the influx of people, the festival has changed a lot since the last time you were around." He explained, wanting to tell Liang Fei all about his city. For the first time, he felt great pride for this city he had taken on a whim.

While many things had changed, Xieren had made sure most of it remained the same. Most notable being the use of Yaoguai flowers. They were well known for repelling demons with their scent and due to the city's proximity to the darklands, they used the flowers everywhere.

(AN: "Yāoguài": monster, devil)

In his heart, Xieren couldn't stand them. They were ugly and made his head hurt terribly. If not for his human blood, he would have succumbed to the effects of the flowers long before this point. When he had taken charge of the city, he'd considered whether he should restrict the use of the flowers, since he needed more of his demons in the city to ensure his control but chose not to.

Why? Because it was a major part of the festival and while he had his doubts, he had wanted to keep the festival the same in case Shizun returned. They had promised to attend the festival together and he wanted to ensure that the sight his master had seen that day, the one that made the usually expressionless man smile, was there when he came back.

The fact his master had returned at all, made all his efforts and headaches worth it. Seeing the man look around with curious eyes that looked just about ready to burn a hole through the sights was heartwarming.

"Shizun, do you remember our promise?"

"Which one?"

"A-about... um..." Xieren felt a bit nervous now. He'd been dreaming of this moment for years but... so many things had changed. 

He was a (half) demon and Shizun was a mortal.

They were older.

Would his master... want to spend time with him like this? Sure, he'd been looking for Xieren but that was out of guilt. 

If they spent the evening together like this, it would definitely be him courting the man. 

The thought of doing so his heart race, thinking how amazing it would be to do such a thing. They could hold hands and kiss, his presence making sure no one dared judge them.

He might be a stranger in the eyes of the townspeople but they knew better than to deride a cultivator, even in hushed whispers.

While Xieren was daydreaming about how many things they could do during their date, Liang Fei had been marveling at the sights around him, trying to choose what to go to first. Yet when his eyes briefly fell onto his student, he saw a curious sight.

The red and blue bar floating beside Xieren's head was fluctuating wildly!

The man's expression remained the same, calm and cool, yet apparently, his emotions were going all over the place. Throughout the day, Liang Fei had finally realized that the red bar was indicating how happy his student was.

It was pretty obvious too, as his Xieren was a fairly open book when it came to his emotions. If the man was upset or mad, no one would mistake the emotion for anything but. At the moment, something was making the junior happy but the fact it kept falling made Liang Fei a bit concerned about the young man.

Just what was he thinking about?

While the red bar rose and fell sporadically, the blue bar just rose incrementally, as if fueled by the red bar. As Liang Fei still had no clue what the blue bar represented, he could only conclude the two were related.

In other words, he had to stop whatever line of thought this silly child was thinking of.

"Xieren." He called, bringing the man out of whatever thoughts were circling about in his mind. A single gold eye turned back to him. "You promised to attend my first festival alongside me, correct?"

"Y-yes!" Xieren snapped, his heart racing. He knew, his words might be seen as brazen so he felt a bit scared it might be rejected. He had been young then and perhaps... With a smaller voice, he finished. "I did..."

"Then let us go." Liang Fei urged, pulling the younger man into the crowd. "Don't keep me waiting."

"Never." He breathed, letting himself be pulled along.

***

The festival was what was to be expected from a large city. Hundreds of people strolled about, playing games and buying foods. Due to the different people who came and went, the food available was varied and delicacies to locals.

(AN: I guess its be like living in NYC where every culture has a restaurant somewhere nearby)

Liang Fei was having the time of his life, bouncing from stall to stall, wanting to partake in everything. There were games and items that dazzled the eyes. He recalled how he used to see children and adults with arms full of items after attending a festival and envied them.

Now he wanted all the stuff too.

At that moment, he ran off, his eyes glued to a sweets stand. Looking at the display, the elder felt tempted to partake in one. No, he should get one for Xieren too. He liked things like this, right.

"Xieren, what flavor would you-" He turned to ask Xieren if he wanted one as well but saw no one. It was at that moment Liang Fei realized he was all alone. Eh? Had Xieren gotten lost? That poor child.

Just then, as the elder considered whether to search for the lost and found booth, the tall man burst through the crowd. With steady eyes, Xieren briskly stomped over to his master, who watched his approach calmly.

"Shizun!" Xieren growled, scaring some of the people nearby. Liang Fei, however, didn't flinch and looked up at the man impassively.

"Yes?"

"Please don't run off like that." He sighed, seeing his master was unconcerned. What strange conclusion had he come up with now to be giving him such a look? "I almost lost sight of you."

Ah, see! His poor student did get lost. How unfortunate.

"Sorry." He said, patting the man's shoulder. "I got  too excited." He replied, not noticing the junior's look of disbelief.

Really? This was his face excited? There was no change at all. Then again, this was Shizun after all.

"I understand but you promised to stay by my side, right?" He growled, the sound sending shivers down the elder man's spine.

When had Xieren gotten so close? At some point, Liang Fei had been cornered against a wall with Xieren looming over him. Gone were the other attendees, leaving only the two men in a darkened corner by themselves.

Now they were face to face, with Xieren's arm resting on the wall beside the elder's head. Liang Fei was feeling a bit flustered at those words and their position. More importantly, the younger man's words.

Ah, when said like that, one might come to strange conclusions about the meaning. Those aren't words or a tone that should be said to old men like him. But Xieren was his sweet student, mature and pure of heart. He wouldn't have thoughts like that.

Yes, it would seem Liang Fei had forgotten already about how this sweet and pure student almost killed him a week prior. When it came to cute things, Liang Fei's heart was soft as cotton and more forgiving than even a saint.

All in all, to Liang Fei, Xieren was still the sweet young man who clung to him when frustrated.

"That is correct." Thinking it over, he felt a bit bad for his blunder. Here he was, swearing to repay Xieren back for dying but within minutes, he had drifted off like a wayward child.

But what could he do...

Thinking back to all the times he'd watched people attending festivals from afar, there was one solution he could think of.

 Xieren, meanwhile, had been distracted by the sudden mood swelling between them. He hadn't planned on putting his master in such a position but found himself liking how close they were. The air felt intimate and forbidden, as if they were in their own world with no one else. Surrounding him was his master's scent and his own, mixing into something ambiguous and new.

He very much liked the new scent.

He wanted to push for more, to perhaps press his master down so he would understand Xieren's feelings once and for all. Just a small kiss. On the ear. On the cheek. Preferably, on the lips but he wasn't super picky. Any part of Shizun was infinitely kissable.

Yet his heart nearly stopped when the man shattered his thoughts by taking Xieren's free hand in his own.

"Here." Liang Fei said, holding up their intertwined hands. It was warm. "If we hold hands like this, we won't lose each other, right?"

Xieren's mind was elsewhere, having left his body and abandoning all hope of coherent thought just then. In the darkness, no one saw the deep flush on the younger man's face as he tried to keep up with the current situation.

"Shizun..."

"Now let us go!" Liang Fei pulled the dazed younger man from the darkened area, surprising a few people as they strolled past. At no point did Xieren fight or argue, still reeling from this moment.

Truly, this was what happiness was~

Liang Fei, at any other moment, might have felt the gesture was a bit intimate for two men but his mind was on other matters. In his mind, they weren't two men holding hands. 

No, in his mind, there was only the notion that he had finally found someone to enjoy this aspect of attending a festival. Xieren wasn't his friend, family or lover but the elder was just happy to have someone's hand to hold so they would lose one another.

Just as he'd thought, it was a nice feeling~

After some time, Xieren recovered from his shock/joy induced mini coma to enjoy their time together. He was shocked by how much enthusiasm his master showed at... everything. He knew the man had never gone to a festival but the way the man tugged on his arm impatient like a child was way too cute for Xieren to resist teasing the man.

"Is there anything you want, Shizun?" He leaned in close to whisper in the elder man's ears. Others around them grimaced and moved away from the two men. While they weren't sure what was happening, the air between the two men felt a bit too intimate.

Liang Fei, as always, didn't notice, his attention riveted on a certain item at the stall in front of him.

"I want that." He said, pointing to the grand prize at a game booth. There were various toys and prizes but the one that was most eye-catching was a large stuffed tiger sitting on the shelf. It was easily the size of a small child and clearly the most desirable object there.

(AN: Something like this)

Liang Fei stared hard at it, his yearning for something that cute igniting his spirit and damn near burning a hole through the booth and its attendant

Liang Fei stared hard at it, his yearning for something that cute igniting his spirit and damn near burning a hole through the booth and its attendant. While he wanted it, he doubted he could win it. 

Resigned in his estimation, Liang Fei chose to burn the image of this adorable stuffed tiger into his heart, so that he could relive this moment over and over again. He imagined how soft it had to be. Absolutely, it had to be soft. Ah~

Meanwhile, Xieren watched his master, somewhat amused. He recognized that look, having been on the receiving end of it many times when they were at the sect together and before. His master loved cute things and seemed to have a habit of staring very intensely at those things.

How annoying that his master chose to stare at that thing when Xieren was right there to be freely admired. The younger man, wrestling with his feelings of discontent, decided to take it out on the stuffed tiger, glaring hatefully at it.

The plush itself sweated, feeling the glares through the crowd. Had it been alive, it may very well have run away. It was but an innocent plush! Why be so mean~

Still, Xieren was a bit surprised. Personally, he didn't see how the item was cute. It was so greatly exaggerated, so why was it appealing. He could understand how kids would like it but he knew how popular these 'plushies' were to women as well.

When Xuejie had suggested the inclusion, he was against it, not wanting to waste money on such an endeavor. The man had promised him that it would be more than worth it.

'You'd be surprised how many folks like stuff like this.' He'd said at that time.

While Xieren had his doubts, it proved to have been wrong to assume it would end in failure. The plushies were a booming success. It was partially why the city made so much during the festival. The trade between the darklands and the secular world provided the ideal materials for them.

Yet never before this point did Xieren feel so happy to have made that investment than right at this moment. Shizun stared at the plush with such yearning, one would think he'd spotted a long lost friend in the crowd.

"Do you want that, Shizun?" He asked, smiling when the elder unconsciously nodded.

"En. I-I mean, no." He immediately stepped back, not wanting to admit his desire. "It is cute but..."

"But?"

"These games might be rigged so I don't want to waste your money." It was one thing to spend his student's money on food and clothes, as they were necessities but this was pure indulgence. He might want the plush but to use another man's money for it was too much.

Xieren could see the reluctance on the man's face. Truly, his master was too kind.

"Shizun, didn't you want to experience a festival?"

"En."

"Then getting swindled is just part of it." He assured the man, pressing some of his money into the older man's hands. "Besides, if you lose, it'll give me a chance to show off my own skills."

In fact, he'd much prefer it if his master lost so he could gift the dumb stuffed tiger to his master.

Liang Fei stared up at the Xieren, cocking a brow. "You're saying you'll win the tiger for me?"

"Is that a problem?"

"No, I just worry those smooth words might give someone else the wrong idea." The elder sighed, feeling a bit tired. How could his sweet Xieren speak like this so easily to another man? It was the same at the brothel too.

"Wrong idea?"

"No need to concern yourself about it. As long as you remember the promise you made to me, it'll be fine."

"Promise? Which one?"

"To keep from misleading any women you may encounter." He stated, giving Xieren a stern look. He didn't want this man to end up like his friend and cause trouble for others. "You speak in a flirtatious manner so I was worried you might be falling into that lifestyle"

If it was just that, Xieren had definitely kept his promise. While he was still very active in his enjoyment of the flesh, he never touched that which didn't belong to him. He never gave any of the women he slept with any hint of interest outside their body. 

While he wished he could have kept his body pure, he was a man with needs. His only comfort was that in his heart, there was only Shizun. The only person he was willing and eager to tease and get close to was the man beside him.

"There's no need to be concerned." He assured, smiling serenely. "I've never been that close to any female. I have definitely kept that promise, master."

Never been close? Liang Fei tried to figure out the meaning but was distracted by Xieren tugging him toward the stall. It was a simple ball toss game where one had to knock the item you wanted down.

The scam was that the balls provided were too light to knock any of the good items.

Yet this didn't deter Liang Fei. No, he was determined to win something, damn it!

Yet after several minutes of trying and failing to even jostle the coveted plush, the man settled for one of the smaller prizes. He ended up winning a small wooden carving of a kiren. It was unpainted but finely made in such a way that made one admire it.

While the item was lovely, it wasn't what Liang Fei wanted. But he hadn't won it for himself anyway.

"For you." Liang Fei held out the carving to Xieren, who in turn stared at the beautiful piece.

"Me?"

Liang Fei nods. "I've wasted a lot of your money just now. You deserve something nice for all the trouble."

"It's no trouble!" He insisted, feeling both super happy and embarrassed. He really had been enjoying himself. He'd never seen such focus and drive in his master as when he was attempting to win his plush.

The slight tightening of his lips, the furrow in his brow, the clenching of his fists. All of that was absolutely adorable to Xieren and he had to resist the urge to stroke the man's head every time he lost. 

Perhaps this was the feeling his master felt whenever he gave Xieren head pats.

Liang Fei shook his head and handed the carving over. "You've already given me more than you can possibly know."

Truly, compared to getting the plush, just having someone to accompany him was the best gift he could envision. He'd dreamed of a day like this and getting to spend it with someone he cared for only made it better.

"Thank you for that." He whispered with a small smile.

Liang Fei, at that moment, had no idea how he looked just then. A soft and innocent smile just barely curled his lips as he stared up at Xieren with those lovely eyes. Anyone watching might have assumed the shorter man was trying to seduce the taller one, as they too felt drawn to that expression.

It was beautiful in its rarity, to see the usually stoic man smile so sweetly and trusting, as if offering a precious gift with only kindness in mind. Even the most black hearted would swoon at the look.

Xieren, already deeply in love with this man, couldn't hope to withstand an attack so profound and ruthless. This man, did he truly not know what kind of person he stood before? Did he not understand that others could see him and would desire to touch that innocent beauty.

Ah, he couldn't let his master show that face to anyone else. Otherwise, Xieren would have to kill all who saw such a visage.

Unable to hold himself back, he pulled Liang Fei into his arms, burying his face in the man's shoulder. With a hand on the back of Shizun's neck and an arm wrapped around his waist, they couldn't look anymore intimate but that didn't soothe Xieren nearly as much as this scent surrounding him. Only his master's lovely scent could calm his jealous heart. While his master couldn't help but be cute, at the very least, only Xieren could bask in his master's essence.

"Please don't show that kind of face to others, master." He growled against the elder's neck, his hands clenching on the soft curves of his master's body. He felt the elder shiver in his arms, his hands grasping Xierne's sleeves. As his fingers sunk into the supple flesh, Xieren continued.  I won't be able to hold back if you do."

His words were low and dark, only heart by the elder who shook in his embrace. Yet the words spoken with such authority and fervor were buried under every other thought rushing through Liang Fei's head at the moment.

Xieren's words would send the poor old man into a spiral of confusion later but at that moment, it was the last of his concerns. No there was something a lot more pressing.

In more ways than one.

In a moment of weakness, that would haunt the elder for the rest of his life, Liang Fei reacted quite poorly. Feeling the warm breath brushing the sensitive skin of his neck as he was embraced, heat gathered in his abdomen and reacted.

In other words, Liang Fei got a hard on.

*****

AN: Boy this chapter got long~ I really hadn't expected this but treat for ya'll.

Extra:

Liang Fei's impression of Xieren: He's the goodest of good bois! He is very sweet and kind when need be. His heart is pure and untainted. I must strive to keep him that way.

Xieren: [Evil laughter] Hah, how can you presume to resent me? You dared to go against me so clearly you wanted to die. Don't call it murder when you clearly asked for such a fate.

74