Life After…
3.1k 2 66
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Say what you will about the determination of gods, nothing was quite as diligent and resourceful as [Eye of Vengeance]'s plot. It took what little remained of the storyline and made it work.

Even with a hatefully stubborn protagonist, the story went on, kind of following the proper sequence of events. Had the plot had eyes, it would cry out every day, begging the protagonist to work with it. Just once...

Hard at work but with no thanks, the plot moved forward. Even as hearts grow dark and bitter, life goes on.

***

The crowds in the square were loud and festive, all the civilians content to go about their days. Times were unstable and no one knew when the next disaster might occur but those were matters to be settled by the immortals. Only they wanted things to return to normal.

So let the heavenly matter be handled by them and the mortal matters be settled on earth.

Yet the matter of immortals could not be passed off. On this chilly evening, an immortal was fleeing for his life.

The hooded figure slipped through the crowd, easily staying out of sight of the townspeople. He slipped into an alleyway, panting as he watched his pursuers rush by his hiding spot. After a few moments, he breathed a sigh of relief.

The man pulled off his hood, revealing the face a haggard looking Chenyu. His once pristine robes were stained and bloodied from his numerous bouts with his pursuers. Stress had added lines to his face that age couldn't imitate.

He struggles to catch his breath, this having been the first time in weeks he'd had any peace. He had tried to reach out to his former allies but for reasons unknown to him they all cut ties with him, treating him like a stranger.

His only hope was the lord of this city. If there was anyone who could shelter him from those demons wrath, it was Lord Han.

Though he was only a merchant, he was one of the more powerful men in the land, having accumulated such wealth and power, even cultivators showed that man respect. His city was nearly impenetrable, keeping those inside safe despite being so close to the demon's territory.

If he could just reach the lord of the city, he might be safe.

***

Elsewhere in that same city, a man slept restlessly, his hand clenched tight into his sheets.

"Shizun!" Caifeng called out, reaching out to grab something... that wasn't there. His shout echoed but he knew no one but him would hear. His quarters were cut off from the rest of the world, allowing him the solace of isolation when he wished.

Lying in his bed, the man stared into the darkness, with only the moonlight illuminating his toned body. Years of hardship had honed this body to perfection, strong and firm.

Yet he slept alone.

He thought back to his dream, his palms itching as he recalled it. He'd been wandering through a dark void, as he did every night. As far as he could see, blackness enveloped the world, driving his mad.

Yet tonight, he had found light. From far away, something wet his face, drawing him from his dark thoughts. As he searched for the source, he could hear voices, faint even to his hearing. He didn't know why but he ran to the sound, wanting to find... something.

There had to be something there.

He could faintly hear two voices, male and female but felt little interest in them. Yet he still ran, knowing something was there. Something that could chase the darkness from his heart. Then he heard it.

"It's not ... fault."

That voice, it was unfamiliar but Caifeng knew it. Even over the years as time and madness had torn at his mind, he'd never forgotten that person.

His master.

"Shizun!" He called out, desperate to get to him. Surely, he could hear him. Shizun had said he would always come if called, yet the man's back remained still, never turning back. His hands couldn't reach him.

His voice... perhaps did.

This left Caifeng reeling, wanting to roar with rage. Not because he couldn't reach the man. No, because he had allowed himself that weakness.

Shizun was dead. He'd been dead for over a decade and acting like a child, dreaming of seeing him again, would not do him any good.

He couldn't allow such weakness.

His maids had been busy cleaning his room when he burst through the door, his sleeping clothes messy from sleep. The maiden jumped, staring at their lord with shy admiration.

It was a well-known fact that Lord Caifeng was handsome, easily overshadowing even the most good looking of young lords. Golden eyes that stared straight into ones soul, a body that was tall and fit, not to mention an aura that screamed dominance and strength.

How could any woman claim she was not affected?

As such, many maids fought tooth and nail for the privilege of serving this young lord directly. Even if the chances of seeing him were rare, just a few moments in his presence was enough to fulfill many a girls fantasy.

Caifeng, noticing the maiden's illicit stares, glared down at them, feeling disgusted. More hateful people, daring to envy and vie for his attention. Truly, he needed better means of screening his servants.

"Prepare my bath." His tone was cold as the highest mountain, chilling each maid to the bone yet none hesitated to follow his order. Lord Caifeng was not a patient person.

"Yes, my lord!" They cried, rushing out the room. Even though they admired him and desired his attention, they knew better than to be so overt about it.

This time, they had been forgiven but their lordship was not a kind man. He only forgave once and perhaps not even that sometimes.

They would not be so foolish to test their master's patience again.

Caifeng, after clearing the room, stripped down until only his inner robes. The robes were thin and hid nothing from sight. Had the maids seen such a sight, they would have all pounced, heedless of the risk.

Truly, this man was built like a god, to be admired and sought after. But this is to be expected for the protagonist.

Upon entering the bath, Caifeng sat back and relaxed. The air was heavy and quiet yet to this mans ears, he could sense another presence.

"Master?" From the darkness, a figure emerged, clad entirely in black and masked.

"Speak." Caifeng took his cup of tea off the floating tray, not even looking up.

"Yes." The guard bowed low his voice firm and steady as he spoke. "On the matter of the man who broke into the city. We have reason to believe that the man is a... Jun Chenyu. "

The hand stopped in midair, the air growing tense as the man spoke for the first time.

"Chen yu?"

"Yes, my lord." The man kept his head bowed. "He was spotted idling by the front gate suspiciously but as you commanded, his entry was not impeded."

"My hounds?"

"They reported no anomalies." He stated. "The man was asking many questions about his lordship, seeking an audience."

"Does he now?" He huffed, mildly amused. How times had changed, for that man who once ignored him to be seeking him out. "Has his identity been confirmed?"

"Lady Min has confirmed he is who he says he is, my lord."

"I see." Caifeng chuckled, feeling much less annoyed than he had when he'd woken up. This was just what he needed. "Then allow him entrance. I would hate to disappoint the great Lord Chenyu since he wishes to present his neck to me so willfully."

***

Chenyu was shocked when he'd received a message that his request had been accepted a few days later. Had he wished to see the lord of the city? Of course, it was his only chance at surviving another day but it was curious his request had been answered at all.

Still, he couldn't let the chance slip by. The ones on his tail were notorious and fierce. If he got caught, he wouldn't die peacefully, he was sure.

They were demons after all.

At some point over the years, demons began emerging from the darkness, terrorizing the land. While the cultivators nearby were able to keep them from spreading, the land they had taken could not be retaken and the demon kingdom slowly grew day by day.

No one knew where or when the seal on their prison had been broken but the sects had been scrabbling to contain the threat. Chenyu's clan had been called upon, since it was the closest to the apparent source but by the time the messenger came, the clan had been nearly wiped out.

None of the Jun elders knew why the demons seemed so focused on them but sent Chenyu out to plead for help. Lord Han was his last hope.

Upon arrival, he was lead to a smaller room by several handmaids, each more lovely than the last. Chenyu began to feel a bit envious.

"You... are lord Han, master of this castle, yes?"

Observing the man, Chenyu couldn't help but frown. Lord Han, known far and wide as an influential and powerful merchant, mayor of one of the most prosperous cities in the land and rumored to be a powerful cultivator, was a young man.

While his looks were mature and structured, Chenyu could tell this man was considerably younger than him. For clarification, most officials, even those who inherit their title, would have made a name for themselves long before getting control of anything. The youngest being in his mid-thirties.

Yet looking at him, it was clear he had either used his cultivation skills to remain youthful or he truly was.

More questions surfaced in his mind, his mind-boggled by this one aspect. To have all he did but to only have come to everyone's attention so late was suspicious enough yet to do so at such a young age was alarming.

Chenyu masked his expression, not wanting his host to take note of his observation. He was already taken by surprise by his age, to show that shock would hand the advantage to him.

Needless to say, his concerns were unfounded. Caifeng was not someone he could overtake.

Caifeng sat on the couch, his posture relaxed but refined, showing how little he regarded his 'guest'. Chenyu clenched his fists but held his tongue.

He couldn't risk angering this person.

"Speak."

"Ah, right." Chenyu jumped at the sound, not expecting him to be so blunt. "My name is Jun-"

"I know who you are." He cut in, not yet looking up at him. His attention was solely on the tea in front of him. "Tell me why you are bothering me and my city by sneaking in?"

As expected, he'd bee noticed.

"My apologies." He said humbly. "My pursuers made entering through the gate impossible. I heard Lord Han is quite generous, so I was sent on behalf of my clan to ask for shelter."

Is your clan not already allied with the Su clan? Why venture so far when they are closer?"

Of course, this man knew his clan's history. Han Caifeng didn't rule several cites on looks. Yet he truly had no response to give. For reasons unknown to him, the Su's had cut off all ties with the Jun's, being the first to do so long before the demons resurged. Not only that but they retaliated against his clan ruthlessly.

Chenyu was also confused, not knowing what had happened. The Jun clan and the Su clan had been on good terms for generations, so why were they so punitive over a minor trade dispute? So many of their shops and homes burned to the ground and their relatives turned away at the door.

Chenyu remained silent, sure that Lord Han already knew all this. Caifeng, at this moment, turned to the far corner, where one of his guards resided.

"Xuejie." A man, with wild long hair, stepped from the darkness.

"Yeah, boss?" He answered, his tone respectful yet light. One would think they were close if note for the cold tone of Caifengs voice.

"You may leave."

"Leave?" Xuejie blinked, a bit taken aback before noting his boss's expression. "Oh, sure. As you command."

Xuejie knew his boss fairly well and vice versa, so he knew things would be fine. He left the room, having not been noticed by the guest from beginning to end. It was only proper, really.

How scared would that guy be seeing his pursuer standing behind his so-called savior?

As the man casually sat outside the room, he spotted familiar pretty faces.

"Ah, Lady Su. Yao-jie!" He waved at the two women, openly admiring them. "You finally caught up." He reached out to tap one on the shoulder.

Lady Su remained as refined in looks and demeanor as when he had first met her. Her image was entirely of the pure noble miss, contained and delicate. She looked untouchable and everyone in the castle knew better than to try.

So the woman he reached out to was his partner in crime, Yao Da, a demoness with a completely different aura. She was devastatingly beautiful, with lips so glossy and red, most couldn't resist trying to kiss her. Unlike Xinyue, who wore clothes to show her status, Yao Da was a seductress, so her clothes were always loose and sheer. She showed off just enough skin to tempt but not enough to appear trashy.

Obviously, she was another member of the harem but Xuejie was free to look, right?

Yet his friendly gesture was ruthlessly rejected by Yao Da, who slapped his hand away, glaring.

"Don’t touch me." She snapped, glaring at him openly. "I was busy cleaning up the mess you left behind." Xuejie looked away, feeling a bit bad. He had ditched her before, having been summoned.

He probably should have at least told her he was leaving first.

"Where is his lordship?" Xinyue asked, drawing the attention back to her. She didn't much care for the company but for her future fiancee, she'd tolerate their banter for a little while.

"Boss?" He pointed at the closed door. "He’s busy with a… guest."

"Alone?" Yao Da snapped, glaring at her partner. "How dare you leave him alone with some worthless hu-" Xuejie raised his hands in surrender.

"Boss dismissed me himself. What could I do?" He stated, stepping back a bit. "Besides, I doubt he’d get hurt. That guy probably won’t be leaving the room anyway."

"What makes you say that?" Xinyue frowned, confused.

"Boss dismissed me, one of his best guys." He pointed out, smiling slyly. "That must mean he wants to do something that can’t leave the room. Including his guest."

Xuejie felt a bit guilty for lying but at least he was only telling a half-truth. His boss, ruthless as he was, was definitely going to kill that guy. What other fate could the man expect after breaking into his boss’s city and demanding an audience?

Meanwhile, the room where the two resided had fallen into silence. Chenyu didn't wish to speak anymore, since Lord Han already knew everything. Caifeng said nothing, finally having looked up at his guest.

His eyes were cold but filled with determination. A decision had been made.

“I only have one question for you." He said, looking Chenyu straight in the eye. "I seek only this one thing from you and in return, I assure you that you or any who bear your surname will never have to suffer at anyones hands again." Chenyu beamed,

"T-truly?! My lord, you are truly as they say. A generous and understanding man.” He praised, expecting the young man to preen under the heavy complements. Yet he was shocked to see the young man smirked, his gold eyes mirthless and derisive.

"Is that what they say about me? How interesting"

Chenyu had no idea what was so interesting about it but seeing Lord Han sit back, he chose to drop the matter. His life was more important than whatever this man was thinking about.

"What does his lordship wish to know?" He asked, relaxing now that he had what he wished. Surely, it was something big for this lord to allow him entrance. An ancient scroll perhaps or maybe-

"Tell me where you buried him."

"B-buried?" Chenyu blinked at him, not sure he'd heard that right. "Whom do you speak of?"

"Have you buried so many, you forgot?" He pressed, scoffing at the man. "Or perhaps he just meant so little to you?"

"I would never forget anyone I consider family." He snapped back, now angry. "I treat them all fairly and justly."

"Fair and just." This tore a grated laugh out of the man, chilling Chenyu to the bone. "Then tell me," Before the man could blink, a sword was buried deep in his arm, ripping a scream from Chenyu. Despite the pain and his echoing howl, Caifeng's words were clear to him. "where did you bury Shao Liang Fei!"

***

Liang Fei felt cold, shivering as he curled up. He was sure it would help yet his shivers never ceased. He reached out, expecting to find his blanket so he could warm up, yet only feeling the hardwood of his floor.

Had he rolled out of bed again? He thought, frowning. He drowsily opened his eyes, hoping he could quickly spot his sheets and roll on back to sleep.

Yet all he saw was a pale yellow wall, very much unlike his own. His thoughts, muddled by sleep, were on that wall. Why color a wall so bright? Wasn't it kind of weird? He recalled that his sister was always fond of the color, while he thought it was hard to look at.

Just as he thought about that, he heard footsteps, drawing him from his thoughts. Before he could stand, the door he hadn't seen burst open. The muted smell of food filling the room, leaving him slightly nostalgic.

Yet what had his attention was the woman standing at the door. She was tall, with long black hair that moved with her every step and wide eyes that begged anyone to stare into them. This woman, as beautiful as she was, was familiar yet not.

Liang Mei.

Liang Fei watched his little sister look around the room, huffing as she did.

"Look at this mess!" She huffed, stepping into the room. "I just cleaned the place up and now look at it!"

Liang Fei looked around, noting that the room really was a mess. He was in someone's office and there were papers tossed all over the place. He stood, reaching out to touch her, eager to show he was there.

Yet she walked right through him.

Shivering, Liang Fei finally remembered what he was missing.

He had died.

He had actually forgotten he was dead. How ridiculous. As his thoughts tried to right themselves, he saw his sister stop at a framed picture of the two of them. In it, Mei was dragging her stonefaced brother into the shot, beaming at the camera. Liang Fei recalled the moment, still working 2 jobs and tired.

He'd almost fallen asleep on his feet.

Mei picked up the frame, staring at the image for a long time before tears started falling.

"Dage... I'm sorry." She sniffled, holding the frame to her chest. "If I had only paid more attention, had I dragged you out of your room, maybe... It's all my fault."

(AN: Da-ge: Big brother)

Her fault? Perhaps that could be said.

Was it her fault for leaving him behind?

Was it his fault for choosing to stay in and drown out the world?

Was it uncle's fault for forgetting to change the smoke detectors battery?

Was it System Q's fault for messing up his target?

Perhaps it was the gods fault for creating this series of events.

But whomever's fault it was, changed nothing. He, Liang Fei, was still dead and had left his beloved family behind to pick up the pieces. The scars from that would never heal.

Seeing his sister, usually so boisterous and upbeat, sobbing so heavily, Liang Fei couldn't remain still. Even knowing she could hear or feel him, he still wrapped his arms around her.

If he stayed still, he could swear he felt her warmth.

"It's not your fault." He said, his voice echoing through his ethereal being.

He had missed this. He hadn't gotten to hold his sister since she was a child and still cute. As she had grown older, she began to complain about his habit of pinching her cheeks or petting her.

But now, as a ghost, he was free to hug his baby sister once more. He felt a bit bad for being so selfish but what kind of big brother would ignore his siblings' tears in such a way?

Thinking of all the things he'd missed out on, he felt like he was drowning in his regrets. Even now, his sister couldn't feel his hug.

"But I know you." She suddenly continued, furiously wiping her tears away. Large violet eyes snapped to stare at Liang Fei's portrait, slightly wavering just as his voice was. "Da-ge is too dumb to be so petty. I know, even if you were here, you'd just write the whole thing off. That's how you are."

Liang Fei thought about all the times he'd missed out on things, only being able to see pictures after the fact. All the while, telling himself and others that it was fine.

How many lies had he told?

"Oh, darn, look at me. Crying over a photo after so long!" Mei chastised, resting the frame gently back on the table. "That man would totally make fun of me. But I can't keep him waiting, can I?"

Keep him waiting? Who? Liang Fei frowned, looking over his sister once more. She was clearly older, having matured over the years yet surely she hadn't-

On her left hand, delicate and modestly, was a wedding band that glimmered in the light. Liang Fei had no time to ponder the fact before another voice called out.

"Honey, are you done?" A man called out, arriving by the door to look in. "We have to get going or we'll be late.

"Yeah, I'm ready." She said, rising from her spot on the floor. Liang Fei's arms phased through her, like mist.

"Oi, have you been crying?" He asked, attempting to get a good look at her face but she kept turning away.

"No."

"Don't lie." He said, his voice dropping yet Liang Mei showed no sign of concern.

"You'll just tease me though." She said, pouting. The man cocked a brow and smiled.

"Yes but I'll make you laugh so I think we're even, right?"

"You! You are so-" Her words were cut off by a kiss that quickly cut off all thought. As soon as this was noticed, the man stopped, gently wiping her tears away.

"See?" He teased, looking down at her with pure adoration. "All better." Liang Mei blushed but hid her face in the mans chest.

She wanted to argue but couldn't help but feel a bit happy in this man's arms.

Seeing his sister rush into the arms of this man, smiling happily as he gazed down at her with such warmth and love, Liang Fei felt his chest clench.

He hadn't realized how much he was hoping for this. Hoping that his death hadn't hurt his sister so much that she could move on. He'd felt such guilt, having left her alone in the world.

Yet here she was married to someone who looked to love her.

Even as tears began welling in his eyes, Liang Fei felt content. As long as his family was happy, he was fine with being dead. There was no need to complicate their lives by staying here.

Yet her words kept echoing in his mind, as if he was forgetting something.

Had he left something... someone behind?

The world started to fade as his spirit was taken, yet just under the roar of the heavens call, he heard something. Someone, calling out and getting louder and louder with every second.

He was getting further away yet the voice never stopped calling out to him.

"Shizun!"

***

"Xieren!"

Liang Fei gasped, his eyes snapping open as he sat up. His arm had reached out, seeking to grab hold of... something. He frowned, trying to recall what he'd been trying to capture.

His thoughts were muddled and fuzzy, his mind settling on his words.

Xieren.

Who is Xieren?

(AN: Anyone else getting Re:zero vibes?)

He tried to think about it but was quickly surrounded by ear-splitting noise. He looked up to find himself nearly run over by someone rushing by. Panicked, he stumbled out of the way, watching the person rush passed him with nary a look.

What was this?!

Liang Fei staggered to his feet, his body feeling strangely numb and worn. Yet what was truly amazing was what was going on around him.

He looked to be in some kind of office waiting room. Countless faces rushed by, all entirely focused on whatever paperwork was in hand or the person they were talking to. The air was tense and harried, reminding him of the feeling around finals.

What was curious, however, was the people rushing about. All of them were... animals like. Fluffy tails and ears of various animals abounded, making the room feel less like a normal office and more like a fantasy.

This contrasted with those waiting in the chairs. All of them, men and women alike, staring dead-eyed ahead in their chairs. All of them were evidently human yet sat straight back like dolls as the animal people ran past.

Liang Fei, still feeling woozy, chose to leave the room, seeking solace in the one place he was sure he could be alone with his thoughts.

The restroom.

As he suspected, all the stalls were empty and gave him the peace and quiet he needed to organize his thoughts.

Everything felt crazy and out of focus. His mind was like a bundle of clothes that had just been through a dryer. So he took a deep breath and began to untangle the bundle.

First, where was he?

He was in an office but people usually didn't have animal tails so he clearly wasn't home. And then there were humans sitting in chairs like zombies. Had it not been for the evident divide between them and the office workers attention, he might have assumed foul motives.

So he'd need someone to tell him where he was since it wasn't obvious.

Second: Why was he here?

He recalled seeing his sister and her husband, so he was definitely dead but... Was heaven an office building? He felt that such a place shouldn't be just a continuation of the mundane yet stressful mortal life humans lived.

Yet another question to be gained by asking.

Lastly, who was Xieren?

The name filled him with a sense of melancholy, similar to the feeling he'd had after realizing he'd died. That he was failing someone by being dead.

"Xieren." He whispered, running a hand through his hair. The name felt familiar, like he knew this person but he didn't know anyone with such a name in his previous life.

Honestly, it sounded like a character from a fantasy novel.

All at once, it hit him. He jumped to his feet, feeling memories he'd forgotten rush back. Xieren, the small child who he taught and protected.

The Xieren who challenged him to matches and hated him.

The Xieren who clung to him and adored being petted.

The Xieren who was left, waiting for him to return.

He had died before he could get back to him, his last thoughts being regret for failing his student.

Stepping out of the stall, Liang Fei sighed, feeling depressed at the revelation. He had died before he could return. He, as strong as he was, had to leave his vulnerable young student behind and even failed to keep his promise to him.

How shameful. He thought, watching as crystal clear water filled the sink. Staring into his reflection, his thoughts continued tumbling after each other.

How scared his student must have been? Had he waited long for help to arrive?

He hadn't died as well, right?!

Panic rushed through the man, ending with him dunking his head into the sink. The cool splash immediately calmed him down, his heart slowing to a steady beat as he let out a breath. Bubbled brushed over his skin, soothing his concerns somewhat.

He couldn't think like that. It would do him no good now that he was dead. He emerged from the sink, gasping due to remaining underwater for a bit too long.

His clothes, the same as he had been wearing when he died, had gotten a bit wet. Choosing to ignore the bloodstains, Liang Fei turned to get papers when a voice called out to him.

[Shi~ You humans sure are strange.] It said, its voice ambiguous and light as a feather. Sitting on the walls of the stalls, lounged an unusually large fox. Its coat was shiny and clean yet its eyes gazed down at him impassively.

"Strange?" He echoed, his mind still trying to catch up with the fact that there was a talking fox in the mens restroom.

He briefly wondered how long it had been there.

[Yeah, you look all serious yet attempt to drown yourself in the heavens as if you'd actually die, shi~] It huffed, sitting up. Again, Liang Fei just wondered how it sat up there so easily as opposed to its words.

"Perhaps but, if may, I would like to ask you something." He replied.

[Eh? Does a Host wish to ask me a question?] Its tail twitched, possibly surprised. [Shi~ Go then.]

"Excuse me, but this is the men's restroom, correct?" He pressed, feeling a bit embarrassed for the fox.

[Eh?] This caught the fox by surprised, its eyes widening for a second. [Yeah, it is.]

"I apologize but are you allowed to be in here?" He asked, unsure how to proceed. He couldn't help but ask. While the fox seemed sexless, something told him the being before him was not male.

And being watched by a female like this was quite distressing.

[Eh? Boy, you humans sure are weird.] The fox huffed, looking mildly amused as it jumped down from the walls onto the sink. [You are currently taking a piss in the heavens after having just spent the last few years in a fantasy novel and your main priority is whether or not I'm in the right bathroom?] It swiped at the water, splashing Liang Fei. [Shi~ Hosts sure are amusing.]

When put like that, his concerns did seem a bit silly but how could he not think that. Being watched in the bathroom was definitely something to worry about, dead or alive. He didn't want to be judged by a fox. 

"As I said, I apologize if I was wrong." He replied, feeling a bit put down. The fox snickered, its pink eyes glimmering with amusement.

[Nah, it's fine.] It assured, waving a paw. [I've always been a bit of a rule-breaker anyway so I don't mind, Shi~.]

Hearing that, Liang Fei felt distressed again. If coming into the men's room was 'rule-breaking' then this fox must be-

"Wait, how did you know where I've been all this time?" He suddenly thought, his embarrassment over being watched by something possibly female was overshadowed.

[Shi~ It's obvious you're a returnee.] It stated, playing with the water. [This is the returnee office. Why else would you be here?]

Returnee office? Seeing his confused expression, the fox sighed and briefly explained. Apparently, systems were tasked with binding themselves to humans as a host and guiding them. when a human failed their task, they were sent to the returnee office.

"Ah, I see." He said. He then recalled the long line of people in the waiting room. "Is it usually so busy?"

[No, a lot of hosts, turns out, are idiots who can't figure out how not to die in the first world so there is a backup.] It huffed, looking away. [How troublesome, shi~]

Thinking of all those animal people -or were they actually systems?- rushing around the place, Liang Fei suddenly felt sympathy for them. If the dozens of people he saw were returnees, they had a lot of work to do.

Sorry for adding to your troubles.

[By the way, who was your system?] The fox asked, its flat voice echoing in his ear. [You aren't mine, shi~]

"Would you even remember if I was?" Something told him that this fox wasn't the most attentive of systems.

[Touche.]

"I think I was with..." He was shocked to note he'd actually forgotten that systems name. "Ku?"

[Q? Ah, that explains why you're here.] It said, sitting up to lounge on his head. [Q usually is a fuck-up.]

"And you're not?" He reached up to grab it but it quickly moved out of the way.

[Of course, shi~ This system tries its best.] Its tone, even in all ways,  made it hard to tell how honest it was being. [By the way, how did you die, shi? Didn't Q assist you?]

He thought of everything Q had done to him. Killing him. Sending him into the world blind. Leaving him the vaguest letter that helped him very little. Everything Liang Fei had learned, he had to figure out on his own. There was no help.

His expression must have shown some of his frustration since the fox soon nodded at him.

[Ah, did Q leave you high and dry?] It guessed, wrapping its tail around his shoulder. Had he not know better, he might have assumed it was out of comfort. [Was it out of anger?]

"It was just being petty." He sighed, letting go of his anger. It was just a waste of time after all.

[Oh, was it the limited time 'fuck you' deal?!] It laughed as if this was common for the system. [My, he's sure being liberal with that one. If he keeps giving it away so often, it won't be a limited edition item, shi~]

Ah, so this was a common thing!?

"What kind of system does that?" He questioned. 

[A system that hates humans, obviously.]

"If it hates humans so much, why work with them at all?" He asked, confused. He understood working with people you hate but that was for one's livelihood. Surely there wasn't anything a spirit would want in exchange

[Shi~Because the boss likes humans and we want to make him happy.] It replied as if that's all it was. But Liang Fei couldn't understand it.

"Even if you have to associate with beings you despise?"

[Shi, I don't hate humans personally. I just don't care about them.]It explained, before chuckled. [Q, on the other hand, hates them. But we both tolerate you... hosts for our boss.]

"You like your boss that much?"

There was a minute of silence, in which the fox stared into space. The air was tense and Liang Fei briefly wondered if he'd perhaps asked the wrong question. Yet it replied calmly.

[Boss is boss. We systems were born to serve but we also adore that person.] It pointed out, its tone just a bit more... soft when talking about this 'boss' person. [For him, we'd walk through hell and back. We owe him that much.]

Part of him wanted to ask the fox what it meant by that, sensing a lot more under the surface than just what was said. Those eyes, even when amused, held no light in them. Every word was said with such morose finality, it was a bit depressing.

He couldn't take it.

He needed a pick-me-up.

Liang Fei, choosing not to resist his urges, chose to do what he had been thinking of doing for a while now. Looking at Shi resting on his shoulder, snuggled upon his neck, how could he not pet it!?

Its fur was just as soft as he imagined, making him pull it into his arms. Curiously, Shi allowed him to pet it, letting out a strange grumbling sound. If he wasn't mishearing, it sounded like it was purring.

Did... did foxes usually purr?

He couldn't be certain. He wasn't even sure what sound foxes made, but he was sure they didn't purr. Then again, he is currently residing in the spirit world having just conversed with a talking fox in an otherworldly bathroom after having lived in a fantasy novel for 4 years. 

Surely a purring fox was the least strange thing about today.

***

Liang Fei returned to the waiting room with a purring fox in his arms. No one seemed to notice him as he weaved through the crowd. The fact that a long-haired man in blood-stained clothes didn't even warrant a second look was a bit discerning.

Just what kind of place was this? He thought, surrounded by animal eared officer workers and holding a talking fox.

"Where should I go?" He looked around but couldn't really find a place to go. He didn't want to sit and risk becoming a vegetable like the others.

[Shi~ have you decided what you want to do?]

"Do I get a choice?" It is not like he had many options to choose from. He had to do something.

[The boss is very kind to humans so I imagine he might be willing to grant a wish or two.]

"Your boss can grant wishes?" He lifted the fox until they were eye to eye. The fox rolled it eyes at him.

[Boss is the god of reincarnation, how could he not do something simple like that? Shi~]

The god of reincarnation?! Was that why he was reborn into a new world? Was that life supposed to be a second chance? Yet that damned system told him it was temporary. Ah, this was too confusing.

"I see. Then perhaps I should go talk to him?"

[You, meet up with our boss?] It coldly looked up at him, as if he was asking for the stars in the sky. [Host is being too brazen, daring to ask such a thing.

"Then how can I-"

[Just go and ask Q.] It yawned. [It's your system after all.]

"Last time I spoke to Q, it screwed me over." He pointed out, knowing how things would go. 

[Yeah, it... does that, Shi~] The fox nodded sagely, though this just made Liang Fei annoyed. This thing was so lucky it was cute and fluffy or he might be tempted to toss it. [But if you want your wish or whatever, it has to go through Q. Boss doesn't directly talk to hosts.]

Not directly, huh?

"Are Systems the means of communication between your boss and hosts?" He wondered, thinking back to his sister's rants about how distant the gods in her novels seemed. They apparently never got involved themselves. Was this true here too?

[Apparently.] It confirmed, pawing at its muzzle lazily. [Shi~ I don't get it too well but gods are unable to talk directly to mortal beings. Something about 'exploding upon sight' or something.]

(AN: For those who watched Supernatural, think of it like when an angel tries to communicate with a human without a host)

"I... would explode?"

[Probably?]

"Is that a question or a guess?" He pressed, wanting to be sure if detonation was a possibility.

[Which would you prefer?] It cocked a brow at him.

"Not to explode." He deadpanned, causing the fox to slouch in his grip.

[Shi~ You hosts are so needy!] It whined, cutely waving its paws at him. Seeing such a thing, how could he not embrace the furry soft fox. [Ack, must you hug me so tightly? Shi~]

The two had been walking through the crowd as they spoke, avoiding the risk of being run over by Liang Fei's years of expertise. Having worked his life in many a crowded place, if there was one thing he could do, it was walk through a crowd.

The two reached a desk, behind which was a blue-haired young lady with bunny ears. With her head down, the ears were the first thing Liang Fei saw. they bounced and twitched as the young girl worked and Liang Fei couldn't help but admire the sight.

Ah, how cute~

[Oi, host stop glaring so hard. You'll scare it, Shi~] The fox chastised, confused by the man's habit of glaring. If it wasn't so apathetic to humans, it might have felt threatened.

"My apologies." He sighed, feeling a bit embarrassed to have been caught. He tapped on the desk. "Um, excuse me, may I-"

[Sir, please sit down and wait for your number to be called.] The bunny girl snapped, her head remaining on her work. [We are currently overwhelmed and will get to you shortly.]

"No, but-" He started before feeling soft paws pat him on the temple.

[Ah, don't take it too harshly.] It said, attempting to sound sagely. The fox jumped onto the desk, now speaking to the bunny girl. [Office work is hard, right? Shi~]

Liang Fei wasn't sure what the fox was planning but its words had the bunny girl snapping her head up.

[That's right.] She cried, her large pink eyes near filled with tears. One couldn't help but feel pity when someone spoke like they had been wronged so much. [We are just small systems, trying to keep things in check yet we have to suffer so much because of-] She stopped, staring at the fox for a second. [...Wait, is that- Senior Shi!?] She jumped from her seat. [Where have you been?!]

[Me? Shi~I was just lounging about.] Somehow the fox shrugged, sounding nonplussed. The fox now known as {System Shi} pointed at Liang Fei. [This host seemed to be interested in petting me and I won't deny a host anything.[

[Senior, you are too shameless!] She cried, grabbing the fox. [Won't deny a host anything. Most of these hosts are yours!] Looking out, there were dozens of humans sitting around, apparently waiting for Shi.

[Eh? Really, they look so different now.]

[That's because they died!]

[Wow, I wonder what killed them.] It looked up and around, patting its chin. [Shouldn't they have had a guide, shi~?]

[That was your job!] 

[Right right.] It replied lazily, looking off into the distance. It was clear it felt no remorse for its hosts or the juniors scrambling about the room.

Its previous words about not caring about anything was starting to become much more evident. It made Liang Fei a bit uncomfortable.

[Senior.] The bunny girl set Shi down, her will to live drained from the exchange. [Please, I know you dislike working but you need to sort this all out. We small systems can't handle the backflow.]

[Fine~ I don't want boss to get mad at me. Shi~] It sighed, stretching out its body and jumped from the desk. As it walked away, several eyes fell upon the beast, following it until it... phased through another door.

Okay, I guess that's just a thing systems can do. Liang Fei concluded, choosing not to question much more than that. Things were already weird enough.

This left Liang Fei with the tired bunny girl. She sighed, like a weight had been lifted before remembering that he was still there. Then again, he was busy ogling her ears, so they were equally distracted.

[Ah, host! Were you one of Senior System Shi's hosts?] She cried, now realizing she might have sent this host's only means of leaving away. [C-cause if so I-]

"No, I'm with System Q." He explained, now looking at her eyes instead of her ears. She blinked at him before giving him a look of pure pity.

[Senior System Q? Wow, I'm... I'm so sorry.] She said, with a grimace. It spoke volumes that even other systems beneath it knew how much of a hassle it was. The moment lasted only a moment before she was giving him her best salesgirl smile. [Well anyway, you are in luck. The line is only for Senior system Shi, so you can go right in.]

"Q's hosts haven't died?" He was surprised, considering how troublesome the system was.

[Senior System Q is... different from Senior System Shi.] She said, looking away nervously. [Its hosts suffer but rarely return... Sometimes.]

Ah, how comforting.

[So just go through that door over there and you'll meet with it.] She pointed toward another door that hadn't been there before. While Shi's door was blue, this other door was gold. The bunny girl bowed politely. [Thank you for your patience, sir host.]

"Right"

Upon entering, Liang Fei stopped, his heart stopping for a second.

Inside System Q's office, stood his sister, Liang Mei.

Yet it couldn't be her. This was the heavens and his sister was alive and well.

So it must be-

"System Q?" He called out, stepping further into the room. His time as a noble in the cultivation world as well as his natural stoic appearance gave him an air of confidence and control that many would admire. Even Q stopped for a second before scowling.

[Oh, its you again.] It said, its voice one Liang Fei recognized. Apparently only its appearance was that of his sister. [What do you want? I'm busy.]

Despite how frustrated Liang Fei, he kept calm as he spoke.

"First, why do you look like my sister?" 

[Huh, is that what I look like to you?] It countered, looking confused. It tossed itself into the chair behind its desk, shrugging. [Look, I don't know what I look like to you. I just know it's supposed to be comforting or something for hosts. Something about those important to you and whatnot.]

"I see." He grumbled, feeling troubled. This was too much. He couldn't really bear to yell as he wished if the face looking back at him was his beloved sister. "Onto business then."

[Be quick. I still have issues to resolve because of you.] Q grumbled, tapping away at its computer. [I don't know how you managed to fuck up the world in so little time but now I have to clean up your mess!]

Mess?" He frowned, feeling concerned. Had he done something wrong? Surely not, since he'd remained in place and did as he was supposed to in order not to die. Before he could ask, Q began browsing through some files, effectively ignoring him.

Liang Fei huffed, feeling annoyed now. Of course, this lazy, irresponsible system chose to ignore him. Knowing it, the 'mess' he spoke of was actually its own fault. It wouldn't be the first time it tried blaming its own mistakes on him.

He might as make this quick.

"System Q, I wish to return to that novel." He said, his voice loud and crisp, regaining the entity's attention.

[Eh?]

"I said, I wish to-" He started only to stop at Q's raised hand.

[N-no, I heard you but… Why do you want to?] It sounded completely flabberghasted, as if this was unusual. Was the request too much?

"Didn’t you say that that world is a mess?

[Well duh, the protagonist is going nuts.] It stated, slouching it its chair. [The world is falling apart but I doubt you care any.]

Liang Fei clenched his fist but remained still and outwardly calm.

"There are people in that world I care for."

[Ah, so it is about your feelings.] It mocked, rolling its eyes. [How quaint.]

"I don’t need to explain myself to you." He retorted, seeing this was going nowhere. 

[Actually, you do. Like it or not, you are my host and I final have say on where you go and when.] It shot back, glaring at Liang Fei like it was the wronged party. [I don’t plan on sending you back if it doesn’t help me in any way. Boss already wants my head on a platter. I don’t want any more trouble for him.]

Shi had said the same thing, about how much systems seem to care for this boss person. Perhaps he could use that.

"You care a lot about that person."

[Obviously. Boss is kind and cool and amazing.] It praised, its tone heavy with adoration. It then looked at him with derision. [Totally different than you selfish humans. So why don't you tell me all about how you want to abandon your precious sister for a fantasy world. What? Had too much fun?]

"I'm not abandoning her!" He snapped, getting tired of Q's accusations. "Xiao Mei was... is an adult. My death, it hurt her deeply and will probably always cause her pain. But she isn't alone in the world. She has our family, friend and even a husband now. She will be fine, even if I'm gone."

He recalled how she used to cling to him and cry every night after their parents died. He'd feared that she had suffered through his dead with no one to cling to yet... she had found someone who would hold her when she needed it.

He could move on because she had as well.

"But Xieren isn't like that." He continued, thinking of his student. "He's just a child, alone in the world. Possibly still waiting for my return. He trusted me to protect him and I failed to do so. I can't leave things like that."

[Xieren?] Q turned to its screen to look him up. Liang Fei couldn't see or hear what was displayed, but whatever it was caused the system to raise a brow.

"Yes, he is one of my students there." He explained, feeling a bit happy. Just saying the words 'his student' filled him with pride. "I admit, I am being a little selfish in my request but I only want to make sure he's alright. I also wish to apologize. He must be so upset with me." He sighed, thinking of how his dear student must be worried about him. "He's such a sweet child, so adorable and helpful. Ah, I fear I might have spoiled him a bit so he might be a handful to others but despite his rough exterior, he's a good boy."

Throughout his speech, Q had yet to look away from the screen. He couldn't see what was going on but the light coming from the screen had lots of red tinting and he could swear he heard the sound various screams of agony.

"Are... you watching a horror movie?" He asked, his brows furrowing. He had been asked for an explanation and yet all he got was this system watching some slasher flick?

[Huh? Uh ...yes.] Q drawled, turning from the screen. Whatever it saw, had made the system pale a bit. [So you want to go back to {Eye of Vengence} then?]

"Yes."

[You know that once you go, you can't come back, right?] It statted, handing him a form. [We can't have souls coming and going through the same world over and over. So if you die this time, that's its.]

"It's fine." He replied, signing his name on the form. "I've made my peace with it."

[Whatever.] Q sighed, stamping down on the form. Just as the rubber came off the page, Liang Fei felt his body begin to fade. Despite everything, it was a pleasant feeling, akin to slowly being submerged in warm water. Just as the feeling reached his neck, Q spoke again.

 [Just don't screw up any more than you have already. That worlds already about to be destroyed, no need to make it any worse.]

***

Q watched as Liang Fei faded from sight, the look of surprise amusing the system somewhat.

Ah, were you wondering what I meant by the world ending? Suck to be you! You'll find out of your own~

Q snickered to itself, feeling content for a moment. It had good reason to be mad. That dumb human, with all his bravado, managed to screw the world up just being there. {Eye of Vengence} was supposed to be a typical stallion novel, filled with harems, face slapping and world domination yet now it was in chaos!

And Q had to take on all the responsibility for that fuck up!

So let that guy stew over its words. It was not even half as stressful as having the boss be so mad at it.

Still, it felt like it had forgotten something important...

F is for friends who do stuff together,

U is for you and me~

Hearing the familiar melody, Q perked up. It didn't understand why this was the set ring tone but knowing it was the boss calling, a smile bursting forth as it answered the call.

[Boss!] It answered, forgetting all about the chaos and that dumb human. Its boss was here. [This is system Q reporting!]

{Ah, good, what's going on downstairs?} A masculine voice that could set a hundred hearts a racing answered, his voice a bit strained. It added to the fantasy that anyone but Q would be having about the man on the other end.

Instead, Q enthusiastically explained the situation, even as it told its boss about the chaos happening outside its door. The god of reincarnation knew how Q was so he didn't scold the system about its ambivalent tone.

Q was just like that.

After hearing the report, the god entered the space, a portal of pure gold sliding open to reveal him. The god of reincarnation, referred to as Chongsheng, was as godly as they come. Hair of pure cerulean than glimmered in the sun, traced his well past his back. The sky envied the shade and chose to emulate the god shamelessly. A handsome man was admired by many.

Q had heard many of its juniors talk about how handsome their host's lovers were, too numerous to even count. Yet to Q, there was no one better to gaze upon than its boss. TRuly, he was a god.

If only he wasn't entering the room in a jogging suit and matching sweatpants.

[Was boss jogging with Lady boss?] Q asked, feeling the need to ask why its boss was dressed like that. It thought he still looked amazing but... Sweatpants? Really?

{Yeah, she read some blog about how jogging in the morning 'energizes the soul' or some bullshit like that.} He explained, shrugging his broad shoulders helplessly. {We're gods, what the hell do we need soul energizing for? But hey, what do I know? She makes the rules, I just follow along.}

Q didn't get how its boss could deal with that, seem so put off by it, yet still smile so happily while talking about his wife. But the boss loved his wife, so Q remained silent.

{Hm?} Chongsheng looked at the desk, picking up the form left behind by Liang Fei. He smiled. {Ah, you got the host to sign the contract? That great! Now he can do proper tasks to help that world get back in order.}

[Eh...] Q flinched, now realizing what it had forgotten about. [Right, of course... Tasks...]

Perhaps Q could somehow quickly send that host an email before the boss-

{...Q?} The small system shivered, feeling the room's temperature drop.

[Yes, boss?!] Q didn't dare lookup. Sweatpants or no, Chongsheng was scary when he was mad.

{You did tell him about his tasks, right?}

[...ye-no...] As much as Q wanted to live, a system could never lie to their boss.

{Did you tell him about how due to your fuck up, he'd be gaining some cheats?}

[No.]

{Did you apologize to him for dumping him in a volatile world that could at any moment kill him since his 'freebie' isn't all-powerful?}

[...No.] Q wished the world could swallow it whole just then

{Did you tell him anything I told you to relay to him?!} The man shouted, shaking the room until bits of the wall came down. Even though the interior was a fabrication, Chongsheng's anger could make it crumble like real walls.

Q then thought of the matter of the protagonist. How he still hadn't gotten around to telling Liang Fei who any of the main characters were. Boss would definitely be mad if he heard about that so Q chose not to mention it. Instead, he said.

[...I told him that he'd live the rest of his life in {Eyes of Vengeance}?]

{Oh, well at least you told him that!} He snapped, reaching out to grab Q by the ear. {However, would he have figured that out on his own!}

[Ah, B-boss, it hurts~] Q whined, waving its arms but not fighting back. Boss was a god, how could a puny system do anything?

{Oh does it now?} The deity smiled, yet there was no mirth present in his eyes. {What a coincidence, I happen to be in the hurting mood!}

Like an unruly child, Q was dragged by the ear into the portal, much to the surprise of its juniors, who had been listening in since their boss arrived.

***

"Xuejie!" Caifeng called, wiping the blood off his hands. His guest had been quite messy. "Come.” 

It took only a moment for the youthful young man to enter, his face paling slightly at the sight before him. The room was covered in blood and Xuejie could feel the resentment and fear the ‘guest’ had felt just before death.

He truly didn’t die peacefully but when you dare court death so shamelessly, what else could one expect?

“You called?” Xuejie actively avoided stepping on the numerous bloodstains. It was difficult since little of the room was clean of blood.

“Clean this up.”

“Me?! I thought you sent me out to keep me from getting involved!” He cried, wanting to run away. Surely his boss knew he was very squeamish when it came to blood and guts and decided to show mercy by allowing him to leave before all the bloodshed.

Caifeng said nothing, finally sheathing his blade. Xuejie knew his boss well enough to know the matter was not up for discussion.

So the only one he’d lied to was himself!? He thought, crying with no tears.

Ah, his boss is so cruel and heartless~

Suppressing his tears, Xuejie stepped forward, choosing to ignore the heavy scent of blood as he passed Caifeng by. Just as they passed, his boss spoke.

“I’ll be gone for a few days.” He said, his tone dropping as the room chilled from his anger. “Handle things here until I return.

This was nothing unusual. Caifeng had a habit of departing for days or perhaps being weeks at a time. Xuejie, knowing his boss was strong and important, never truly worried about him.

What drew his curiosity was the fact that this departure felt different. His boss always left at the same time, making it easy for Xuejie to keep things under control.

One didn’t rule over a castle and a dozen towns by being idle, after all.

“Did that guy tell you something important, bro?” He couldn’t help but ask. The gleam in his boss’s eyes was something he hadn’t seen in years. He’d forgotten from when his boss’s eyes became so dull but seeing the glow of impatience reminded him of better times.

Of when this man was a child and smiled and laughed with him.

Yet those eyes turned to glare at him, that being the only warning he got before Caifeng attacked, drawing his blade. Had Xuejie not anticipated the strike, his head would have joined the blood pooling at his feet.

Caifeng said nothing, staring past him as he sheathed his sword and turned away. No more words had to be said. The warning had been enough.

Xuejie waited until the man had departed, leaving his servant sitting against a far wall. Just a hair breath above his head, a deep gash was torn into the wall.

Ah, Bro was really mad, wasn’t he? He thought, letting out a strained breath. He surely would have died just then, wouldn't he?

“As I thought, you humans really are stupid.” Xuejie sighed, hearing a familiar voice chastise him. Yao Da stood over him, grimacing at him. “You should know better than to provoke our lord like that. Who are you to question him?"

"Aren’t I his second in command?" He countered, feeling wronged. "How can I not question him at least once?"

"If you wish to die, do well to choose a less reckless option." She stated, walking through the blood pools like it wasn't even there. "I refuse to allow my lord to stain his hands with filthy human blood."

Elsewhere, Caifeng had already departed, entering his carriage to be carried out of the city. As it passed, the townspeople, who rarely saw their lord, called out to him. Their city was prosperous, safe and well off due to this man's efforts. They couldn't miss this chance to praise him.

Yet all the praise felt empty to Caifeng as he drowned them all out. From beginning to end, their cheers were unheard. His attention didn't return to the present until they left the city gates.

"Finally..." The man sat back in his carriage, listening out for attackers as he let out a breath. He'd been waiting so long, working so hard, just for this moment. He'd become strong, gaining more power than anyone, just so he could take this tiny bit of revenge.

He recalled the moment Chenyu realized who he was, who's den he'd arrogantly waltzed into. 
His look of shock, his eyes pleading for mercy just before he tore the mans head off was...

Only so so.

Even after having finally avenged that person, he felt empty. That man, his beloved master, was still gone from this world. The world was still dull and lifeless.

So hateful. He growled under his breath, thinking of the ugly things he'd seen since taking over. It was only when had been on both the bottom and the top of the world that one could truly see its ugliness.

That man was too good for this hateful world.

But now, he at least knew where those bastards had buried him. He could finally find closure before he finally reached 'the end.'

Only then would the emptiness finally go away.

"Shizun, I'm coming for you." Xieren whispered into the night, his heterochromic eyes glowing int the darkness. "Then I can finally join you."

66