…often meet in the middle
465 4 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Xander followed the butler that greeted him at the door. The man was stern in demeanor and expression, showing nothing of himself when spoken to. A true professional considering what went on in this manor.

And he might have some training too. He thought, glancing at his feet. Regardless of the carpet, the fact his footsteps were soundless must have meant he wasn’t just a butler.

Elder brother Golidan had suggested he use Lord Kitum to get into the event but the fact that he had such skilled men under him made him wonder if he was being used to spy on the man himself. It wouldn’t surprise him. Golidan was the type to squeeze as much use out of a single opportunity as possible.

Still, Xander didn’t mind being used this time. What he gained from it was a lot more valuable than his pride.

Entrance into the Full Moon Auction House.

It was a monthly affair, always around the night of the full moon. Rare and fantastical wares were gathered and sold to those who had the means to enter. And entering was the hardest part.

The Full Moon auction house sold any and everything that had value, so flesh was always on sale there. Rare animals and beasts were the most frequent products but it wasn’t rare to find elves and humans on the list as well.

There were even rumors that there was once a Faery on the list of products to be sold but nothing came of it.

Such a practice was well known by the noble classes but even the king couldn’t waltz in. This was the power that the Full Moon auction house had. Ties to various nations and even a few churches. But regardless of status, all who attend required three things to enter as a newcomer.

An invite, an escort, and a product to the auction.

While simple on the surface, acquiring even one was difficult. An invite was offered only to members. As such, one had to know someone who was not only a member but willing to give up their invitation. Considering what one could find at the auction, that was not a simple task.

The second requirement was an escort. This person acted as an authentication for the first time patron. This person acts as a guide for the newcomer and places their reputation on the line to support the newcomer. This person also has to be a member.

Lastly, is the product. This is the easiest to acquire but comes with its own set of dangers. While a product can be anything, if the organizers find the product lacking, the newcomer can then become the product.

No loose ends.

Having just the invite and an escort meant that the newcomer was the product. Having only a product and escort meant you weren't a member. Lacking an escort meant there was no one to confirm your identity and vouch for you.

This system prevented spies from coming in, the venue running out of products, and ensured secrecy as anyone found suspicious was turned into a product.

It was clear why such a thing had lasted for as long as it did. The auction house had been around since before the formation of a few of the nations.

And Xander sought to take it down.

It would be a long process but if he could get a membership, he could gather the necessary information to do it. If nothing else, he could gain enough power to usurp the crown prince’s position.

Once he was king, he’d snip away at the auction house’s power until they were nothing but a distant memory.

This would take years, as their net was wide but it was something to strive for.

But first, he had to secure an escort and product.

It was the reason he came to Lord Kitum of all people. While his niece might have been humiliated at his party, the man was all about his own advancement so the prodigal prince arriving at his manor was just the thing he desired.

If he could just get the man to agree without needing to become his lackey.

Luckily, the lord here wasn’t stupid enough to underestimate him. The fact he placed this capable man as his escort made that clear.

They both knew his reputation wasn’t just for show.

The only thing he lacked is power within the kingdom.

“Your room, your highness.” Xander looked up, noting they’d arrived already. The halls were no different than the previous ones he’d passed through. Probably a means to keep people from snooping around.

If such a thing could stop him, he’d have long since died.

He reached out, feeling the tendrils of his shadows vibrate in response to his call. It was a silent assurance of their presence.

There was even one embedded in the shadow of the butler, though the man had no idea.

Few did. His shadows were silent and lurked about every corner. If he was still enough, he could hear them whisper to him. 

His shadow guards were nearby, though the water spires in the moat were a bit of an obstacle. 

Lord Kitum was in his office, writing something but his shadows couldn’t tell what.

Most pressingly, however, was the fact that there was a void nearby.

His shadows could peek at anyone nearby as long as they had a shadow to attach to. It was a vital ability if not annoying since his shadows liked to speak all at once if allowed. Yet a void meant his shadows couldn’t touch this person.

Curious, Xander entered his room, wanting to know the identity of this void. While he couldn’t track them in his usual way, he was not so defenseless that he couldn’t kill them. He’d faced people like this before, after all.

Mist flowed from his lips, his body preparing for a fight. The room chilled, making the butler who had only just left shiver slightly. 

“You need to keep your guard up better than that, Xiao-Xan”

Xander jumped, a familiar voice chastising him in the seemingly empty room. Even his shadows flinched, their tendrils trying to reach the intruder’s shadow. They were curious, having never been rejected.

Yet they were, passing harmlessly through the intruder’s shadow as he spoke.

“The fact you just waltzed in here like an amateur.” Qin Rong grimaced at him as he lit the lamp beside him. “I’m disappointed, honestly.”

Xander, however, was anything but.

His fae was back, this time leaning back against the headboard with his arm draped over a raised knee. It was a casual pose, as if this was his home and he could relax somewhat. The scowl on his face and the scolding tone made it clear he was anything but relaxed but Xander was happy nonetheless.

Seeing Qin Rong in his bed was very appealing to him. Though he was a bit disappointed that it differed so much from his fantasies. He’d rather see the fae naked and beckoning Xander to join him in bed. His skin flushed with desire and his erection peeking through his bare legs.

But this was good too, he supposed.

Xander had thought of an elaborate trap to get Qin Rong into his arms. It involved a lot of moving parts and subterfuge but if he was just going to give himself up like this, who was he to say no?

“Are you here on a job?” He asked, choosing not to reveal his secondary ability just yet. He needed to know why Qin Rong was a void first.

“Classified.”

Ah, he was mad? What about though? He had kept his distance for a while so what could he be upset about?

“Are you planning on killing Lord Kitum?”

“I’ve gotten a few requests for his assassination.” He answered vaguely.

Considering the kind of man Lord Kitum was, he wouldn’t be surprised if there were people who wanted him dead. If anything, Xander also wanted him dead. The fact he casually showed off his slaves meant that he did it regularly for guests.

He didn’t plan on letting that continue. Still-

“Then could you refrain from doing so for a few days.” He asked with a smile as he removed his outerwear. “I happen to need him alive for something.”

“Clearly, since you’re here as his guest.” The fae snarled, sucking his teeth. “Why is that?”

Ah, so that was what this was about. Considering Qin Rong’s morals, he must look very suspicious right now.

He really was lucky to not wake up with a knife to his balls.

“Are you disappointed?”

“Depends on your answer. Now stop stalling and talk, Xiao-Xan.”

Xander sighed, not knowing what to do. He wanted to tell Qin Rong but was worried about the outcome. He’d definitely want to get involved but this was a dangerous task he was taking on. The risk to him was huge and he’d rather go in without having to worry about Qin Rong.

Then again, the fae was capable of slitting a grown man’s throat without a thought at such a young age. His capabilities now had to be better, right?

Moreover, he doubted he’d get away with trying to hide this. Even if he got away with it, which he doubted he could, Xander was sure his fae would follow him into the auction house regardless of his protests.

It's best that he just lays his cards down on the table.

“I need him as he’s to be my escort into the Full Moon auction house.” He said, explaining his plan. It was a long-term plan but one that also required him to steal an object for his brother without being caught. He could have hidden his mission from Qin Rong but it felt wrong to hide it. 

Of all the people in the world, he trusted Qin Rong not to use this against him.

Qin Rong, to his credit, listened to his explanation from beginning to end without many interjections. His expression softened slightly, assuring Xander that he was back in the fae’s good graces.

Once he explained his need for a product, Qin Rong’s brow furrowed once more.

“You can’t sell him?” He asked, referring to Lord Kitum. The man had committed many crimes aside from kidnapping and selling people.

“Do you think an establishment could survive as long as it has if it sold its own members like that?”

Xander had considered the option but knew better than to try such a brazen tactic. Especially on his first visit. Daring to consider stealing from the organizer was risky enough without adding to it.

The fae huffed, looking frustrated but nodding with understanding. Surely he knew that sometimes one had to shake hands with unscrupulous people to get something they wanted. Morally, it was unacceptable but rationally, it was required.

Yet seeing the dismay on his beloved face made him speak the words he swore he’d keep a secret.

“There is one way but I wanted to avoid this.” Xander explained, sitting on the edge of the bed. “First time patrons are allowed to bring a ‘date’ of sorts instead of a product.”

“A date?” He echoed, looking confused.

“What was that phrase you used once?” Xander tapped his temple, trying to clarify his explanation. “Eye candy?”

“Ah! So why not use this method if it's easier?” 

Xander already saw the plan form in the fae’s eyes. But he absolutely didn’t want Qin Rong to be his ‘date’.

“While this method does protect the patron, the date is in danger of being sold as a product by the escort. Since the newcomer has no backing within the auction house, there isn’t anything they can do to prevent this.”

“How is that different from just having a product?”

“A lot of escorts are willing to offer illegitimate children and the like as ‘dates’ in exchange for their role.”

“Ah.” He breathed, understanding immediately. Xander felt the same way when he learned the details as well.

It's a way to rid nobles of their unwanted children. Then again, it might be just as easy to use this method against rivals and elders. The noble couldn’t directly sell their rivals but if someone were to take an interest in someone’s ‘date’, then how could they possibly fight both the organizer and the buyer? They could even use the hapless newcomer as a scapegoat if need be.

It really was a very cutthroat organization.

Xander sat beside Qin Rong, their shoulders touching. Qin Rong is muttering to himself, trying to come up with a solution. So much so, he doesn’t notice Xander drawing closer. Even when his hand lands on the fae’s hip, his muttering doesn’t cease.

How cute.

He was dressed like a fae would be, lots of bare skin and thin layers. Luckily, it was fairly warm in the room as the fireplace was blazing nearby but still~ How could he be so cruel and tempt Xander like this?

Qin Rong was so handsome, it made Xander want to press him down and ravish him. It would be a fight though, as his fae was shy sometimes. He was sure he’d argue that it was inappropriate or something but Xander was a man with desires.

He’d longed for this man for many years and to have him in bed once more was making his blood heat up despite his frigid core. All the fae would need to do is glance down and he’d see how hard Xander had become just by his proximity.

Unfortunately, Qin Rong was in ‘work mode’ so Xander would have to hold back for a little while longer.

Xander wants to pull him close so the fae could rest his head on the princes’ shoulder but unfortunately, Qin Rong returned to reality.

How disappointing.

“I have a plan.” Qin Rong proclaimed, glancing over at him with glimmeringly gold eyes. “Why not-”

“If it's to be my date, I refuse.” Xander interjected, tapping a little tune with his fingers on the side of Qin Rong’s ribs. He could swear he saw his nipples harden on his shirt but perhaps it was just the light.

Qin Rong grabbed hold of that naughty hand, stopping his creeping advance toward his nipples. “Like you could stop me?” 

Xander grabbed hold of Qin Rong’s chin, drawing his eyes and his attention.

“Qin Rong, this isn’t just a small organization.” He warned, scowling down at the stubborn man. “I can’t protect you if you do this.”

“I don’t need protection.”

No, Qin Rong was strong and clever. If he wanted, he absolutely could break into the auction house on his own. Heck, he might even be able to hold his own against the guards.

That didn’t mean Xander wanted to put his fae in danger just for his own convenience.

Perhaps he was easier to read when talking to Qin Rong, because his expression relaxed somewhat. He sighed, leaning forward to rest his forehead on Xander’s collarbone.

“God, how can you be such a softie still?” He muttered, though it was unclear who he was talking about just then.

“Qin Rong?”

“I’m coming with you, regardless.” He stated, much to Xander’s chagrin. He continued, as if sensing the prince’s refusal. ”You need someone in your corner. You’ll be surrounded by enemies and you know you aren’t in a good place to take such risks.”

“I don’t want to use you.”

“I’m using you too, so we’ll be even.” He assured, grinning up at his friend. 

Xander stared down at Qin Rong, once again mystified by his beauty. How could such a creature exist? One that laid in his arms so readily yet challenged him at every turn.

A man he wished he could press down and kiss the man until he had no more thoughts of business or anything else but Xander. To peel away those layers and worship the skin beneath. To feel those lovely fingers tug at his curls and dig into his back while he-

God, when they finally made love for the first time, he was sure it would be chaotic and messy.

Such thoughts left him hard and wanting so he pushed them aside. Business first.

“Moreover, weren’t you planning on using me romantically anyway?” Qin Rong continued, cocking a brow. “Why not try now?”

Ah, this guy! Here he was, trying to be professional and his fae had to be all sexy as he smirked up at him. If not for the fear of being kneed in the groin, he’d have kissed the breath from the man.

“I’m pretty sure I’ve made it clear how I’d prefer to ‘use’ you, Qin Rong.” He pulled the man closer, so he could feel the heat of his erection. The mild jump he felt soothed him as he leaned down to whisper in his ear. “You just keep saying no.”

“Well then, think of this as a test run. If all goes well, I can act as your lover for the foreseeable future.”

The hitch in his breath as he spoke pleased Xander, letting him know his advances weren’t completely one sided.

Ah, Qin Rong is cruel to dangle this treat in front of him. Even so, he felt annoyed that this really was the best way forward. Actively selling someone was unfathomable and they both knew nothing could keep his fae restrained outside of a trap.

If Xander used a fae trap on Qin Rong, he’d be despised for it.

He sighed, running his hands down the fae’s leg. The shivers that followed pleased him for only a moment before he noted how cold his skin was.

“Why are your feet so cold?” He scowled, feeling the chilled tips of his toes. Qin Rong fought him, pulling his feet away.

“Is that what you should be asking in this situation?!” 

“How did you get in here?”

“How do you think?” Qin Rong deadpanned. 

“You didn't swim, did you?! Those water spires are vicious!”

In spite of his concern, the fae looked completely unconcerned, shrugging as he slipped from out of Xander’s hold.

“Yeah, they tried to eat me toward the end but I’m not dumb.” He replied, rubbing his toes to warm them. “I know an ambush predator when I see one.”

And yet you swam with them!

Xander sighed, feeling like he was going crazy. It was scary to think his beloved could have been killed and left to rot under the water while he slept on unaware. That he could lose his fae so easily just because he was out of sight.

But what if he wasn’t?

With that thought in mind, he smiled, surprising the fae beside him.

Qin Rong flinched, looking warily at Xander. The prince had no idea what kind of expression he had at the moment to make this hardened mercenary look so bewildered so he smiled.

“W-what are you thinking?” He stammered, inching away. 

Ah, he must have had a really scary expression on his face just then.

“I’m thinking that you should take a bath, to warm yourself up.”

He blinked. “Aren’t we talking?”

“Is there anything more to be said?”

They had both stated their views and came to blows. Talking any further was pointless.

That and Xander had some personal matters to attend to. He couldn't stay in the same room as his beloved and stay focused on his mission if he were hard.

Qin Rong glanced down before looking away.

He knew too and didn’t argue any further. They were both men so it was understood that some matters had to handle alone.

***

Qin Rong was relaxing in the bath, letting his extremities warm beneath the steady flow of water. It stung but it was better than shivering in the room beside him.

The room where his friend is jerking off.

“God, how did things get like this!” He groaned, leaning back against the rim of the tub.

He’d come here to get information yet found his friend here shopping for flesh. When questioned, he revealed his intentions yet rather than focus on that, he popped a boner just cause they got close.

It was so troublesome!

Still, he couldn’t help but let out a sigh of relief.

He’d been briefly contemplating what he should do if his fears were true. If Xander had changed and become a trafficker. Sure, he’d been on the battlefield for a long time so there was bound to be some shit he’d gotten involved in but this?

The Xiao-Xan he recalled couldn’t have changed that much.

So he was really glad Xander was still the same, even if it was only a little.

His boners, however, were a bit of a hassle.

He peeked down to his lap, where his own shaft was stiff and twitching beneath the water.

Not that I have any room to scold him. He sighed.

He’d hoped that time before was nothing but a fluke but turns out it wasn’t. Even without foreplay, he got hard around Xander. He was supposed to be the mature one here but his body was that of a young man so it couldn’t be helped.

“Mhf?”

Aside from that, there were still other matters to attend to. He’d deal with the attraction to Xiao-Xan later.

“Grf!?” 

Qin Rong stretched, wondering how long he should bathe. He could appreciate the luxury but this was mostly to avoid walking in on his friends jerking off. That’d be awkward and would probably lead to something more-

Something hit the floor and a groan of pain echoed through the bathroom.

“Ah, right.” The mercenary mused, peeking over the rim of the bathtub. On the floor in the corner were a pair of men dressed head to toe in black. They were bound and gagged, their eyes covered by some of their own dark clothing. “I almost forgot about you.”

This was the other matter Qin Rong had wanted to run by Xander. These two intruders he found in his room upon arriving.

13