Baring your Heart
288 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

That evening, Gin and Kohaku came home to a smiling Hide. Despite being gone most of the day, Gin had not asked what Kohaku had been doing all day when they had bumped into each other. Gin didn't ask why Kohaku was wet and he in turn did not ask why Gin was covered in mud and leaves. It seemed like it was a silent agreement between the two to not ask about either's whereabouts. Gin was less than pleased as they walked into their home. Kohaku grinned happily as Hide beckoned them inside.

Hide took a moment to look Gin over before tapping the wood next to him. Gin plopped himself down and let Hide attempt to clean the dirt of of Gin's face. All the while, snickering.

"Did you have a busy day?" He asked, scrubbing Gin's cheek. Gin only responded with a grumble about nosy brothers and something blondes, whatever that was. Kohaku decided to ask what was on his mind.

"You look pretty happy, Hide-nii. Did something good happen?" Kohaku asked, sitting in front of the fire. The stew cooking smelled delicious. Did Hide manage to get some meat or did he catch them a rabbit this time. Kohaku kind of hoped for a bit of both.

Hide stroked Kohaku's head, drawing him close Gin laid back on the floor. The two shared a look, a look that said they knew something Kohaku didn't. The youngest boy didn't mind too much. Gin-nii and Hide-nii were big, so of course they knew more. It was probably just some boring stuff like cleaning and stuff.

"I have a surprise for you, actually." Hide said, his voice breathless from excitement. He was practically shaking with it. Kohaku watched his brother with curiosity. Hide served them their meal for the evening. It was rabbit stew! Kohaku nearly cried with joy. The meat was tough and there was little to no flavor but it was a meal fit for a king. At least, it was to Kohaku.

"Really?" Kohaku said around the rabbit hide he was trying to chew through. "What is it? Candy? Toys? Oh, is it something cool like.... um...." Kohaku tried to think of something besides those two things. He came up blank.

"Try not to hurt yourself, idiot." Gin mocked, snickering to himself. Kohaku responded in the most mature of manners. Sticking his tongue out at Gin from behind Hide. Gin responded by trying to hit Kohaku with a clump of dirt.

"Boys!" Hide shouted, though it really wasn't much of a shout. It was just a slight raise in their brother's usually soft tone, but it silenced them nonetheless. "Honestly, you two. I should not have to do this with you."

"Sorry, Hide-nii." The two grumbled, earning a smile from the eldest.

"I forgive you." He said, stroking Kohaku's head. "As I was saying, my surprise is good for all of us."

"All of us?" Gin echoed, his frown deepening. He didn't seem happy. Hide continued, missing Gin's frown.

"Yes, a customer of mine, an aristocrat from England, is coming to visit so I might be able to get a bit more money, when he comes by." He stated, his gaze a bit distant. "If things go well, wen might be able to afford a treat or two." Kohaku didn't understand Hide words too much. He had no clue what Hide did or why he worked so late but it made money so it must be fine. However, Gin did not think the same way.

"I don't like it." He grumbled, munching on the ends of his chopsticks. Kohaku and Hide stared at the boy in confusion. "I hate how we have to rely on the rich for food and money. They are all the same. They are all selfish, ugly fat asses." Kohaku thought back to his dear friend. The one whom he'd bonded with. The beautiful boy in lavish clothes who held his hand like they were true friends. Anger raced through him but he held his tongue. "They don't get how we feel at all. They just look down on us, on you."

"Now Gin, I will not allow you to slander those who pay for the food we eat." Hide scolded, giving Gin his best disapproving frown. "What I do is worth the looks I get. It a com-"

"Do not try to play me, Hide-nii!" Gin shouted back. "I know exactly what you do for the food we eat. That's why I refuse to eat it! I refuse to eat anything earned by you lying on your back and-"

Gin's tirade was ended by Hide hand striking him across the cheek. Silence fell between them. Hide and Gin gave each other a look before he clenched his teeth and stomped away, grumbling under his breath. After a minute of silence, Hide sighed.

"I should go get him." He stood up, brushing himself off and turning the to leave. A small hand grabbing his cloak stopped him. He stared down at the hand.

"Gin-nii... Gin-nii is wrong about rich folks." He mumbled, a bit ashamed. He'd wanted to speak up but couldn't. Now he was just shamelessly talking behind his back. "Not all rich people are so bad. Some have it as bad as the rest of us. I hope Gin-nii understands that..."

"I as well, wish for that." Hide sighed, picking him up and laying him down in bed. Tucking him in, Hide gave him a questioning look. "Is something the matter? You don't usually weigh in on these kinds of things. Did something happen?"

Kohaku kept quiet. He didn't want to share his day with Kitsune-kun with anyone, not even his brother. Their time together was his. Answering with a pout, Hide chuckled lightly.

"Alright, I won't pry." He said, pushing his hair back. His eyes got misty and distant again, probably thinking about grown up stuff again. With a weary sigh, he spoke. "Kohaku, do you remember the song I taught you before?"

Kohaku thought back. There was always a song Hide would sing to them whenever any of them disagreed with each other. Mostly it was for Gin since he was so stubborn but Kohaku also knew the words. He nodded.

It was then that Hide began to sing. Kohaku let the melody flow through him, hanging on to every note like a warm coat on a cold day. The words had little meaning to Kohaku's young mind. It was the feeling it gave him that made him close his eyes and listen. Soft and beautiful.

By the time it was over, Kohaku was half asleep but noticed when Gin had come out as well. He laid down next to Kohaku, silently cuddling him for a minute. With a grumble, he muttered an apology for his unknowing words and wrapped the three in their raggedy blanket. He had just drifted off to sleep when he heard Hide apologize back.. Yet again, like all the days before, the three brother huddled together and fell into a contented sleep.

***

The next morning, Kohaku went looking for the boy again. The early morning air was still cool. The clothes Kohaku wore kept his body warm but he lacked shoes so moving was the best thing. He found the boy in the same place as the day before. The boy's clothes hadn't gotten any less fancy. Still he wore layers of fine fabric. Despite that, he was still huddled in a ball in the middle of the clearing, clearly crying.

"Kitsune-kun!" He called. The boy looked up and joy spread across his face. The boy got up and dashed toward Kohaku. He practically tackled Kohaku to the ground. It took a while but Kohaku soon found his way out of the tangle of fabrics. Still the boy wouldn't let him go. He held on like life would end without Kohaku.

"I missed you!" The boy sobbed, clinging to Kohaku's dirty rags. Kohaku had no clue what to really do. Most kids he knew were tough. They had to be. Being a cry baby, as Gin-nii put it, was the equivalent of painting a target on your back.

"Sorry." He sighed, enjoying the warmth of being held in the bundle."I'm here now." He assured, though the boy continued on as if not hearing him.

"No one is ever home but I'm never alone. There's always noise and strangers around and..." The boy continued to cry. Kohaku said nothing and just held him. After an hour of sobs the boy finally took a breath and looked up. His eyes were red and puffy but he still looked beautiful. Like a Kitsune.

"I missed you too." He replied, smiling happily as he held the boy close. The boy's face was red but mostly from all the crying he'd done.

After a minute, Kohaku took the boys hand and lead him away from the clearing. This day, Kohaku taught the boy how to play with his few toys. The boy was amazed by such things. He never played with such simple games. The two played fun games and laughed all day. It was only at sun set that the boy started to complain.

"I don't even know your name." He said, pouting. "We are friends, right?" He asked, his eyes pleading to him. Kohaku opened his mouth to respond but was interrupted by his demand. "So tell me your name!"

Kohaku stared at him, surprised but not so surprised. The Kitsune boy seemed to be really rich. His clothes and the way he spoke made that obvious. Moreover, he gave orders so easily. But Kohaku wasn't one to go along with demands.

"My name is mine. If you want to know it you have to ask nicely." Kohaku scolded. The Kitsune boy was shocked. It must have been a first for him. He was pouting but Kohaku wasn't backing down.

"Fine" He said, blushing for some reason. "May I ask your name, dear friend?" Kohaku smiled.

"My name is... Yukihiro" Kohaku replied. The name was a bit fancy but Hide-nii had always advised him that if someone should ask his name that he should make one up. You never know when someone might turn on you, he said. He didn't get it but Hide-nii was smart so it must be right. Still, Kohaku felt a bit bad about lying so he quickly changed the subject. "Kitsune-kun, lets meet back here again sometime, okay?"

"Okay!" The boy smiled and Kohaku felt his heart race. It was truly the most beautiful smile. "Come back tomorrow, Yukihiro. I'll be here." They pinkie swore, though the Kitsune boy was a bit taken aback at the notion of eating a thousand needles if the promise was broken.

Still, that was no problem since they did indeed meet together every other day, choosing to spend it together. Every day the two boys would meet together in the clearing. It would start the same each time. Kohaku would find the Kitsune in the clearing, waiting for him with tears running down his face. They would embrace for a while, mostly the boy doing so since he seemed to like holding Kohaku, then they'd play. Kohaku even taught the boy how to sing Hide's lullaby. As the winter set in, the two friends played in the snow, huddled in caves Kitsune-kun would never have discovered on his own and enjoyed their friendship for a long while.

At the end of each day, the boy would do the same thing. Just when Kohaku would leave, the Kitsune would ask a question. They were simple things. His age, favorite foods, what he liked in people and such things. Kohaku always answered honestly, not seeing anything weird about it.

Except for the last day. After their short day of play, Kitsune-kun asked a strange question.

"Would you come home with me?"

"W-what?" Kohaku stuttered. Was he serious? He looked like he was but...

"I don't want to be alone anymore." He said, clutching Kohaku's hands in his own. Looking into his eyes, the Kitsune kept pleading. "I'm surrounded by strangers every day. My father is never around and mother isn't here anymore." He said, his eyes dimming a bit as tears formed in his eyes. Kohaku's heart trembled, wanting to hug him like he always did when the kitsune started crying. But those tears never fell. The young boy gazed up at him with such longing Kohaku felt strange.

"K-Kitsune-kun..." He stammered, not sure how to respond. He was but a child but he recognized the look. It was one he saw on the faces of other homeless children when they looked out at those who had just a little more than them. Not envy but a desire to possess something.

"But I can live with all that if your there with me." Kitsune-kun pulled his hands and held them to his heart. "I... like you,Yukihiro." Looking into his eyes, Kohaku saw that he was serious. His face felt hot, despite the bitter cold around them. Blue eyes stared up at him. Beseeching, adoring eyes. Kohaku's heart was racing and he couldn't breathe very well at the moment. What was he supposed to say? This was a big decision. Too big for someone his age. Scared of the strange tightening in his chest, Kohaku did what he was always told to do when uncertain.

He ran.

3