The Baron
21 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“That’s a lie!” Kohaku shouted, picking himself off the ground. He wasn’t a good sight and it made his chest burn with shame but it couldn’t be helped. He couldn’t let these bastards smear him.

With wet but determined eyes, Kohaku lifted his head to the man before him. The man was not what he expected from a European on his home soil.

The Baron was masked. The bright red and gold mask covered the top half of his face, but even without the full view, Kohaku could tell that the baron’s face was godly. His lips looked soft and kissable and his eyes, such an arresting blue, captivated him. His hair was long, black, and tied in a ponytail. The silky strands fell all the way to his lower back. The clothes the Baron wore took Kohaku by surprise though. He wore a beautiful kimono decorated with koi fish and stars. Such fine work in England must have been hard to get.

Seeing Kohaku in a daze, the Baron cocked a thick brow in question.

“Are you not going to say your piece?” He challenged, staring back with cold eyes. “Speak, child.”

Kohaku flinched, feeling a bit embarrassed for being caught staring. That had never happened before.

“M-my apologies, my lord.” He let out a breath, brushing aside his previous thoughts. There were more pressing matters. “I had told these men that I was invited to the manor but they did not believe me. They… attacked me and-”

No more words had to be said. His current state and those of the men who had been interrupted made it clear. Despite his terror at what could have occurred, Kohaku stared up at the Baron with steady eyes.

The Baron stared back, seemingly unconcerned about the situation. He didn’t offer Kohaku a cloak to cover up or even a glance toward the men who had assaulted him. It was hard to say what he thought about the situation.

Kohaku briefly worried that he would not be believed. After all, he was a stranger and this lord was more familiar with his attackers than him.

The men themselves, seeing their boss unconcerned, felt confident they would not be reprimanded too harshly. After all, they had worked under the Baron for years. Why would the word of some foreigner mean anything?

The young man opened his mouth to argue his case, scared of being cast aside when the older man held up a hand to stop him.

“Mr. Thompson.” He said, looking at the blond man for the first time. His tone was cold and even, showing no indication of what he would say next.

“Yes, my lord?” The blond bowed, hiding his smirk with a grin as he imagined what fate would befall this mouthy foreigner. Perhaps he and his friends would have a chance to finish their little game before he was deported from the country.

“From this point forward, you are not a servant at this manor.” He stated, reaching into his sleeve with a small thin pipe. Slipping it between his lips, he continued. “I would suggest you and your associates leave immediately.”

The man dropped to his knees, pleading for leniency.

“But, my lord, I-” the other men tried to speak up but were interrupted by the Baron once more.

“I will not have my workers molesting my newest toys before they even get through the door. That’s not how this establishment works, Mr. Thompson.” His words were sharp, a glimmer of an unknown emotion burning in his dark eyes. Eyes so dark, it was hard to tell what color they were. “I would leave if I were you.” He repeated just as the sounds of distant barks drew close. “Or stay and be mauled. It is of no concern to me which you choose.”

Their faces collectively paled as they realized that their former master was serious. Those hounds, trained to attack with vicious efficiency, had been set upon them. They didn’t wait a moment longer, scrambling to their feet even as their loose clothes hindered them.

Whether they escaped or were attacked by the dogs, it was hard to say as Kohaku was staring at the Baron.

“Is… Was that okay?”

“Hm?” The Baron cocked a brow, glancing down at the youth. “Did you want me to keep them by my side?”

“No but won’t the dogs get sick if they eat trash?”

A snort erupted from nearby, quickly stifled as the man in question covered his mouth. It was only then that Kohaku realized there was another person nearby.

The man was standing beside the Baron but was a lot more of what Kohaku was expecting from a European man. He was built like a laborer but in fine clothes. He wore spectacles and his hair was fiery red slicked back. It was the first time in Kohaku’s life that he saw red hair. It looked so shiny and smooth.

“Those hounds used to hunt and corner many a beast but this is the first time they’ve been said to hunt trash.” The man bellowed with laughter. He turned to the masked man beside him.

The man said nothing, staring down at Kohaku with an unreadable expression.

Without a word, he knelt down and cut the ties binding him. Kohaku grimaced, rubbing his sore wrists. Luckily, it wasn’t too bad. No broken skin but he’d definitely have marks for a few days.

How bothersome.

The sigh he let out must have been misunderstood, as the Baron took this to mean he was upset. The man’s large hand rested on Kohaku’s head, petting him softly.

The man that struck fear in the sailors and was notorious as a ruthless killer… was petting him like a child.

This man was…

“Thank you, Baron-sama.” He chuckled, touching the edge of the Baron’s robe. “You are a lot nicer than I thought you’d be.”

The man in question said nothing, looking away. His companion, however, looked on with mild shock. The man he’d followed for years was notorious for his disdain for being touched. He refused to let anyone close enough to brush the edge of his robes, whether it was others or himself.

Yet some foreign kid could grab his sleeve with nary a twitch? How curious.

“Rather than stay out here, I propose we get inside before the lad catches his death out here.” The redhead proposed, offering a hand to Kohaku.

“Thank you, my lord, ~”

Kohaku nodded thankfully, taking the offered hand as he slipped from beneath the Baron’s grasp. The young man was staring up at the redhead's hair, mildly in awe of the color, so he missed the dark look the masked man gave to his companion.

“Murdoch…” He growled, watching his companion flinch at the tone.

Ah, this was becoming strange and troublesome.

***

Kohaku was thankful to the two older men who had helped him from that horrible situation. His clothes had been torn up since they were of poor quality and he wondered if he’d be entering his new place of work half-naked.

Yet the Baron was kind enough to offer his outer robe to him.

Ah, Baron-sama is so nice!

Kohaku stared at the Baron’s back with admiration, finding himself liking the kind man more and more. The ever-ignored redhead glanced between them, mildly amused by the young man’s look.

The fact I can tell what he’s thinking without even asking is clue enough on how young this man is. He thought, somewhat concerned. The Baron was not a soft man, despite his strange actions today.

“Young man?” Murdoch pressed, regaining the youth's attention. “How old are you?”

This drew the Baron’s eye. He too was curious.

Kohaku beamed.

“I turned 19 years old a few months ago, sir.” He informed the pair, excited. Having his birthday on a ship was something special and he recalled it very clearly.

He even got to drink a bit of alcohol~

“Oh?” Murdoch nodded sagely. “Yet this is your first time overseas, yes?”

“Yes, sir.”

“But you knew where to come to?”

“The men on the ship with me gave me directions.” He explained, smiling as he thought of the rough but kind men he’d spent months with on the ship. “I’m not good yet at reading English so I could not read any signs.”

“But you knew this was the place?”

“Yes.”

Murdoch glanced over at the masked man beside him, who continued to stare at Kohaku. Seeing that his companion wasn’t going to ask, Murdoch turned back to the young man.

“Mr …?” He pressed, crossing his arms.

Kohaku jumped, the sudden baritone of his boss sending shivers through him.

“K-K-Kohaku, Baron-sama!” He forced out, his face burning red despite him not wanting it. His boss’s voice was hard to deal with.

Seeing his flushed face, the Baron chuckled amused by his honest face. He gave Murdoch a quick glance, warning him against interrogating their guest. He understood the man’s intentions but it was unnecessary.

He of all people knew how to spot a dangerous person.

“Kohaku-san.” He called out, surprising the young man with the natural pronunciation of his name and honorific. “You shouldn’t be looking away from me when we’re talking.”

“B-but-” His words were interrupted by the Baron lifting his chin with a finger.

“What did I say?” He lowered his voice to a mere whisper but the authority was clear.

Kohaku straightened his back, staring into the Baron’s eyes. Due to the lighting, he could finally tell what color they were. They were a vibrant if not a bit dark shade of violet. They were beautiful.

“Baron-sama has such pretty eyes~” He couldn’t help but sigh.

The sudden compliment surprised the men, especially the Baron himself. Of all the things people took note of, his eyes were never one of them. It was usually his style of dress or cold demeanor.

Then again, few got close enough to him to even know what color his eyes were to begin with.

“Oh, is that so?” the man replied, feeling pleased by the young man’s compliment.

“Yes, Baron-sama is kind and has lovely eyes.” He continued, feeling encouraged by the man’s response. He usually got strange looks when he complimented men like this.

Baron-sama really was a nice man!

Murdoch, feeling the young man’s gaze despite it not being directed at him, grimaced.

“Oi, boss.” He leaned in to whisper in the dark-haired man’s ear. “That kid, I fear he might be infatuated with you.”

Baron glanced over at the young man, seeing him seemingly beam like the sun when their gazes clashed. He felt his heart clench, disliking the innocent gleam in them for a moment.

Just like him.

The Baron turned to Kohaku, hiding his emotions as he had always done.

“Young man?” He called, not wanting to address the youth by his first name just yet. Kohaku had been wronged due to his negligence. It was only proper to remain formal until he could make things right.

No, it never became right but things had to be done.

“Yes, Baron-sama?”

“First, a bath.”

“Hm?” Kohaku blinked, confused by the statement.

“I’m sure you’d like a bath, correct?”

Oh, it was an offer! Looking away from the Baron’s face, he realized that he’d been led to another room. Peeking inside, he saw it was a bathroom.

“Y-yes, sir,” Kohaku mumbled, staring down at his feet. It was still dirty and he could even see blades of grass that stuck to his toes. He blushed with shame. “I’m sorry.”

“There's no need to apologize.” He assured, his expression softening slightly. “You’ve done nothing wrong.”

“But those men-”

“Will be handled.” The Baron interjected sternly. “I refuse to allow such filth on my property. Let the matter be settled by me.”

“I see.” Kohaku softened, feeling glad that those people wouldn’t be back to get vengeance.

“Afterward, we will dine together.”

“Yes, sir!”

The two stared at one another, the air heavy with unspoken emotions. It was unclear what was occurring between them but Murdoch couldn’t stand the silence.

“Ah, that reminds me!” He cut in, stepping between the two. “His lordship and I have some matters to attend to before we dine. Why not get ready while we finish up our work?”

It was a polite if a not firm suggestion for the conversation to end. Kohaku understood that and felt embarrassed for having taken up their time.

“My apologies.” He mumbled, wanting to bury himself in the robes around him.

“You apologize a lot.” The Baron sighed, his lips curling down with disapproval. “Even when it's unnecessary.”

“S-sorr-”

“One more apology out of you and I will punish you.” He growled, turning away with the kind of grace Kohaku was sure only nobles had. Even with his foreign attire, he exuded the kind of air that made Kohaku want to revere him.

Like he was something resembling a mythical creature.

Unbidden, Kohaku recalled the foreign boy he’d known back in japan. He also had dark hair and bright eyes.

Kohaku watched the pair leave, his eyes not leaving the Baron’s form until he turned a corner. Just before he went out of sight, their eyes met.

Bitter and hard violet eyes stared back at him, the years of turmoil that the young man could only guess at lingering there. It was hard to stare back.

Luckily, it was only for a moment, after which, Kohaku was left alone in front of the bathroom.

He let out a shaking breath, unsure when he’d started holding it.

Those eyes were…

The kitsune he’d met had soft and glimmering eyes that entrapped Kohaku’s heart in moments. There was hope and joy in them that made Kohaku feel the joy of being a child.

The Baron’s eyes held none of those things.

It was sad to think about that child but the Baron’s looks were very similar. But they weren’t the same. They couldn’t be.

If his kitsune had lost the hope and joy that filled their time together and became as desolate as the Baron’s, that would be the most heartbreaking outcome he could imagine.

1