Hard Decision
110 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After he said what he wanted to the elf and she agreed, he decided to head back to the treehouse and tell them the news. He didn't know how to explain how he knew that , but he couldn't just let them go like a pig to the butcher.

He was just about to arrive at the treehouse when he heard the voice of the fox in his head.

( We need to talk for a moment. It may be something important...)

"Something important?" said Jason as he frowned. He had enough surprises today and didn't want any more, but he couldn't dismiss him either.

"Haaaaaaaaaa~

What is it? Is it at least a good news?" said Jason as the fox fell from a tree and stood in front of him as it sniffed the air.

(I don't know , but I thought I should tell you. These last few days when you went to take care of the ants, that old human female followed us, or at least tried to. I made sure to cover our tracks and even gave her a scare one time, but she didn't give up.

I didn't tell you before because I didn't know how you might react, but now that the city is opened....)

Jason stared blankly as he processed the foxes words, but surprisingly he didn't feel that much anger . In fact the most prevailing feeling right now was a soul crushing tiredness. He was tired, so tired trying to fix his life or the life of others around him that he was almost calling it quits. Everytime he fixed something , another thing came up and he could only think of what else could pop up.

"Haaaaaaaa~" Jason released another tired breath as he felt even more , if that was possible.

"Did she seem to have any malicious intent, or was she just curious?"

(I don't really know, but if she was trying to harm you wouldn't she already have?) said the fox as a matter of fact making Jason agree with it.

' She had enough time to poison my meal or something, but she didn't. Or maybe she doesn't know any poisonous substances so she can't poison me? '

He raised his head and looked up at the sky for a couple of second's until those feelings somewhat subsided and then he continued on his way leaving the fox somewhat annoyed, but it had become such a normal thing for the fox that it didn't mind that much.

(So, what are you going to do?)

"Well, I will think of something later, but for now can you stay out of my head? I'm not in the best mood to have someone talk to my mind directly." said Jason as he slightly grumbled.

(Hmph, fine....

The fox waved it's tail in anger a couple of time and went to do what a forest spirit did. Jason on the other hand sighed again as he almost felt tears well up in his eyes, but no tears came out.

"Fuuuuuuuuck.......

The shout echoed through the forest startling the birds making them take flight in disarray.

............

Jason finally arrived at the treehouse and saw that everything was ready and everyone seemed eager , but also somewhat worried about what would happen.

Veina went forward and started somewhat berating Jason, but he didn't really care.

"Brother, where were you? We were just about to leave, but you just went of like that. Brother..... what is it......"

Veina noticed the serious expression of her brother and immediately became worried. The others also turned their heads and opened their ears to hear what they were talking about , and Jason didn't disappoint.

"Unfortunately I have some bad news. The city may have opened, but the situation is very bad at the moment, so bad that it's better that we stay here for the moment." said Jason as he then turned towards the others" Thought I won't stop you from leaving, but I assure you that staying here is better for the moment."

The three of them looked at each other with mixed emotions until Fesia decided to speak.

"May I know how you came to that conclusion? Only a little while ago you didn't even know that the city gates were opened, but now you know the situation inside the city? It doesn't make sense!" 

"Heh, of course it doesn't make sense, he is obviously lying....." suddenly chimed in Besia's grandmother.

"Grandma! How can you say that?" yelled out Besia as she heard  her grandmother and she couldn't believe what she said.

"What, am I lying? He couldn't possibly know about that, it's fact! Why do you choose to believe his lies?" also yelled out Besia's grandmother. She also pointed at Jason which made Veina angry , but Jason held her back with a look.

*Clap*

"Okayyyy.....

Jason clapped his hands hard, gaining the attention of all the people around." I said it already before that I won't force you to stay, but please keep something in mind." said Jason as his face became stern"  Once you leave here and feel like the city is not to your taste you can't come back. Is that understood?!"

Jason's voice reverberated across them and each showed a different expression. Besia seemed somewhat hurt as she lowered her head and couldn't look at Jason in the eyes, Fesia seemed calm, but her eyes seemed to have understood something , and lastly, Ina  Besia's grandmother was just angry.

" As if we would return here! We have a home to return to, our home which had been left unattended for to much time.We don't need your pity.

Besia come, we should get going." 

Jason looked around himself and saw that the situation was intense and it didn't look like things were going his way. He didn't want to waste that much time to convince them, but he didn't rell want for them to get hurt.

"Yes, yes you can go, but he sure you don't catch the plague that is going around the city at the moment." said Jason nonchalantly, but it made all the people around open their eyes wide in surprise.

"There is a plague in the city? How do you know that?!" said Fesia who couldn't believe what she heard. The last week had been full of surprises , and it all came from this unassuming young man almost the same age as her daughter. First was the time when he saved the village from the undead , then there was the time when he brought them to this place which was not only very well hidden, it didn't have any monsters nearby at all. It seemed like a small paradise in these times, and now this knowledge he shouldn't posses.

' Could he really be as I thought, the illegitimate child of a noble who is laying low? Besia said that his wounds healed overnight, so that would explain it. A powerful healing potion is definitely something only a noble could afford.

Or maybe he is a powerful adventurer? ' thought Fesia to herself as she came to the conclusion that Jason was not what he claimed to be. 

' If he settles down with Besia and has a liking for her then that would be a great opportunity to not toil every year by working the land. It also seems that he doesn't mind her continuing her archery training, which is also good.'

" Is what you are saying really true?" once again repeated Fesia and Jason just nodded his head." I understand!

Besia, we will be staying here then. If there is a plague raging in the city, it'll be to dangerous for us to go there. It's better if we stay he for a while more."

"What are you talking about? We should go to the city to learn if our village is still occupied. We can't stay here....." Ina once again started her rant , but Jason didn't care at all.

"Brother....

He went to where Besia was still hanging her head down and spoke slowly and clearly.

"So, what do you want to do? Do you want to stay of leave?"

"I... I...I don't know. I don't know..." quietly mumbled Besia still not raising her head. Jason could clearly understand her dilemma.

"You just have to decide the best thing for you, everything else is secondary. " calmly said Jason as he looked at Ina who glared at him. " You can't stay behind them forever, you have to make your own path, made your own decisions."

 These words clearly had an impact on Besia as she felt as if a weight was lifted of her shoulders and she finally spoke.

"I...I want to stay here for the time being."

Jason just smiled as he didn't speak anymore and just spoke to Veina to unpack their things once again. The angry face of Besia's grandmother brought a smile to his face.

7