4 – A Choice
118 4 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"500 years ago… say, does the incident from yesterday have any connection to the tragedy you speak of?" Chen gaze sharpened like a blade. Her 'Inspector's instinct' kicks in, a deduction out of the blue but from a keen mind. In other words, Chen only takes the most possible answers. 

Blue turns away from the eye contact. Multiple vague faces popped in his mind as his eyes softly narrow with a weak smile, "That's the worst-case scenario— It would be better if it wasn't, or else. " 

He grips onto his blanket tightly. A drop of sweat could be seen rolling down from his forehead down to his chin. Even though the room has an air conditioner,  his grim thoughts were enough to stretch his fear. 

A slight chill ran up Chen's spine. The sight of seeing someone fearless to shudder at mere thoughts of a deduction is scarily noteworthy. In other words, the enemies would likely have strength beyond her imagination. Similar to a quote, 'If light grows brighter, the shadow shades darker'. 

"We have to consider that possibility, or not, we'll pay the price for being ignorant. "

"I know, and it took all of us Sentinels to take them on one by one. But, the problem is, I've already burned all bodies of the Sin's member into ashes, so they can't come back alive… Unless—, " The tightening on the blanket could be heard as Blue huffs slowly. 

"Unless they're new Sins… is that what you're implying?" Chen questions with a slight frown. 

"Maybe. Regardless of new or old, bearing the title Sin means to hold great power in exchange for bringing destruction to the world from the surface down to the core. Two of them is already enough to wipe out an entire city, and only they're capable of producing such drugs. "

Chen was taken back mentally, his interpretation of the Sins may sound exaggerated to others. But, the concealed fear under his smile says otherwise, "Before we continue any further, I want to ask a different question… if you were given freedom in exchange for a price, will you take it?"

Blue's mouth agape, because it's been a long time since he heard the word 'freedom'. It took him a few moments to remember the meaning of it, "If it truly exists, I'll take it. But the price… it depends. "

Hoshiguma enters the room with a pair of canned drinks, one is coffee, the other is grape juice. A large smile crosses her face after closing the door with the back of her foot, "What did I miss?"

"I'm giving him a choice, Hoshiguma. He can choose to not go to jail in exchange for working for us, " Chen took a canned coffee from her partner before muttering 'thanks'. 

Blue turns around and sees her orbs, as Chen body arcs forward with both of her elbows on each knee. Her blood-red eyes closing the distance between their gazes. 

"Your answer, Blue Sullivan. Choose carefully, " She popped the can open before taking a satisfying sip, wiping off the bits of spillage from her lips. 

From the edges of Blue's eyes, a glimpse of a shadow at the window caught his attention. He swallowed his answer with a collective gaze. A familiar presence which he could not remember. 

Blue gazes back at Chen with eyes subtle of trouble. Giving her a hint of the current situation with the change of his expression, "Let's continue this somewhere else. It feels too cramped in here. "

"I see, a quiet place should be more than enough, the HQ. " Chen stood up taking a big chug of the canned coffee in her hand. Flattened it in between her palms before throwing it into a rubbish bin within one motion. 

The intentions behind both of their gazes were hidden, but Hoshiguma could feel the sudden tension in the air. Her golden eyes narrow at the surrounding, "Right, I should get the others ready for a move-out. Chen, the reports about Blue is at the staff office, get them before anything else happens. " 

"It would be quick, I'll go after you and lock the door. Call some of the units to guard this room. "

Blue kept himself silent and wince from the wounds he sustained from yesterday's incident. The injuries sting under the bandages but he endured it, "Sounds like a charm, don't forget to pick me up. "

Hoshiguma nods and gave him a small thumbs-up before taking a step out. 

Chen took a long glance at Blue and he gave her an awkward smile. The follows after Hoshiguma and locks the door. 

The smile on Blue's face drops, a sudden thought struck him. Nail marks could be seen on his palm as he looks at it with a heavy gaze, "It's hard to make friends. "

"That's why you have me, Blue, " A familiar voice resonate in the room. Deep and somewhat hoarse; a husky voice. 

Blue gazes upon the source of the voice and saw waves of reverbs forming a figure. Colours shade the form, revealing a woman afterwards. 

She is tall as Blue with a curvaceous body. Her soothing eyes were crimson red, lighter than Chen's in colour but glints more often under her hunter hat. A fur cape compliments her elegant figure along with her long white hair from top to bottom. 

"Uriel?" Blue stuttered as if he has seen a ghost. Though, he buried the surprise and wavering fear deep inside his body. Composing his face with his usual small smile, but it was on the verge of breaking. 

"Surprised and scared? I know you like the back of my hand, Blue. We've known each other for years after all, " Uriel runs her hand on her other arm. her voice growing slightly deeper as her intense gaze pierces through Blue's. 

"Former Leader Uriel, I already buried you along with the rest of the Sentinel… how could you be alive?" Sweats pouring down from Blue's forehead. The growing mystery heightened his anxiety.

"Rest assured but I don't have time to explain, I'm here to inform you… new Sins resides in this city, " Uriel traces her lips with the edges of her index finger. Her eyes narrow and seem to glow dimly under the shadow of her hat. 

Suddenly, the building shook followed by the sound of a loud boom outside of the room. Screams and wailing could be heard as storms of footsteps trembles the floors nearby. 

The fluorescent lights die down as electricity was cut off. The fan spins slowly to a stop as the room darkens due to nighttime. Some lights of the remaining of the explosion could be seen from the window. 

"Shit, I need to get out, but this device is suppressing my spirit arts. Uriel, I'll believe you as for now but can you get me out of these cuffs?" Blue points at the cuffs on his right hand with an awkward expression. 

"Sure Bluey Blue, get your torso up first and I'll puncture the cuffs with gravity-, " Uriel said and Blue quickly lifted his chest from the bed, turning his back on her. 

Uriel raised and opened her left palm as subtle waves gather at it. The waves increases in intensity and her hand becomes more blurry due to the distortion of gravity due to her will. 

"ACK!" Blue grunts in pain as something foreign pierced his torso from the back, sharp and cold. 

He could feel a part of his body is missing, like an incomplete jigsaw puzzle. He looks down with trembling eyes and saw Uriel's bloody hand have caught his ripped heart. 

"Uriel your-!" Blue yells as he tries to to to to endure the swelling pain in his chest. His body tone starts to turn paler than before. 

"Your unwavering trust in your comrades is your weakness, Blue. Because of that, I'm very fond of you, " Uriel whispers to his ears breath by breath. 

"What about our promise, Uriel-!" Red liquid spews out from his mouth, staining the floor with his essence. 

He looks from the edges of his eyes and saw Uriel's large unsettling smile.

"Old promise for old goal. Time has changed, Blue, whether you like it or not. Now, you either die or join me in the conquest of the purging the real 'evil'. "

Source for the pic above (Her real name is Linda from a mecha game called Iron Saga, I'm using her design as a reference and concept to the character named Uriel in the fanfiction):

https://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/3967246?q=linda_%28iron_saga%29

5