Chapter 1
127 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Thud. Thud. Thud.

"Just go see her Ramakrishnan. She's a nice girl, very sweet, fries vadas with a hole, just like you like them."

Thud. Thud. Thudthud...

"Ramakrishnan if you don't go, I will not speak with you!"

...hudthudthudthudthud....

"Ramakrishnan don't talk back to your Amma! She's saying this for your sake only."

...thudthudThudTHUDTHUDTHUD...

The sweat slides down my dark curls dripping down from my sharp dusky brown colored nose. I increase the pace in an effort to drown out the voices in my head, the flashes of my parents' furious faces, the nasal cannulas, the blinding whiteness, and the tears. I go faster and faster until, at last, my mind is completely occupied by my feet thudding against the surface of the treadmill. 

...THUDTHUDTHUDTHUDTHUDTHUDTHUD...

Around an hour later, I finally slam down on the circular END button with my palm, letting out a  large huff as I do so, and the machine gradually slows down. I close my eyes for a couple breaths, waiting for my heart rate to slow and anchoring my focus to the present.

"Wow man, you were really killing it there. Four minutes a mile! Damn!"

My eyes snap open to see a stocky redhead sitting on the bike to my right. I offer a polite smile.

"Thanks George, I had some things on my mind."

"Ohhhhhhhh I got it." He says with a wink.

"Huh?"

"You've got girl problems, isn't that right?"

"Uh..." My mind flashes to the gleaming assortment of jewelry "kept for my future wife" and my mother's seemingly infinite collection of eligible girls. 

"A handsome guy like you, you definitely have a girlfriend. Let me guess, is she complaining about you not spending enough time with her? That you don't care about her enough? Well, let me tell you, the thing to do is...

I peer up at the large clock on the wall in front of me: 6:49. Then I grab my towel and swipe it across my face a few times.

"...but make sure she understands that not everything is about her. You've gotta make her happy but you can't be becoming a slave to her, you hear?"

I plaster a polite smile across my face. "Yeah George, I hear you and I appreciate it. But it's almost 7 and I've got an appointment so...catch you later?"

"Alright, next Tuesday as always!"

"See you then."

I head out of the fitness area and make for my locker. Along the way my phone starts to ring and I glance down. As soon as I catch sight of the name I inhale sharply and massage the ridge of my eyebrows before picking up.

"Hello Naya-"

"He hasn't finished his slides."

"I-"

"We can't do it for him. Prof will know. And you know how much of a stickler he is for group projects."

"Okay, I know I-"

"I mean I know it doesn't matter for you since you've already gotten hired and everything. But I-"

"Holdup. I need to graduate too. I-" I make way for an elderly couple trying to enter the fitness area.

"Okay Naya can we talk in like 15 minutes? I'm at the gym right now. Just give me 15, I'll call you back."

Hanging up the phone amidst her protests I let out another massive exhale. Then I quickly grab my clothes, change, then I head out to my car. 

1